PDA

View Full Version : Davy Jones: Eat Your Heart Out (In-Character--Group 3)

Temotei
2010-02-13, 02:09 AM
The winds of the high seas greet your faces--the faces of pirates. Buccaneers, privateers, and criminals are all other names for you, but your cause does not change.

The world, although in a state of discord by average society's standards, is a good place to be for a pirate. Trade by sea has become the biggest and best way to keep up with the economy because of general warfare on land. Several port cities have been under siege from many different factions for over a year, with a few still untouched. Barbarians, other cities, and even certain monsters have been attacking these ports in an attempt to expand, live a better life, or to simply kill.

As pirates, you are hardly affected--and you most likely hardly care--by what is going on on land. As long as the actual ports are not attacked or destroyed, your profession is not in danger. In fact, as long as these wars rage, your profession is fueled more than usual. Trade ships have been constantly sent out to get supplies from those ports that are not under siege. The waters have hardly a drop uncovered by the wood of ships.

As you sail along with the wind guiding your ship, the Zenith's Wake, you come across yet another trade vessel. The man in the crow's nest calls out you and the rest of the crew. A new flag raises on your mast, indicating your status as pirates, and your hope for their surrender so none of your crew will be put in danger.

A flag raises on the opposing ship indicating their need for combat to stop them. No force is used, however. That is left to you, if you choose to use it.

OoC: Map of the ship will come tomorrow.

justblade
2010-02-13, 09:20 PM
Hell with it. I'm going to assume the answers to my questions. I'd like to be in the crow's nest. When the other ship gets close enough (When it starts getting close to 120 feet or so), I'd like to cast Produce Flame. I just double checked the specs on that spell and realized that I made a mistake. You can save my attack roll for the next round, but this round all I can do is cast the spell and wait.

From the crow's nest, Kolth looks at the other ship. His perpetual smile diminishes a tiny bit. "The hard way. Always the hard way. Why does it always have to be the hard way? Just once, I wish they'd just put up the white flag, let us board, take their stuff, and be on our merry way. But no. It's always 'Fight to the end!'" He puts his hand to the coral earring he wears in his right ear. With his free hand, he gestures and mutters a few words. A ball of flame appears in his hand. "Well, if we're going to do it this way, let's get started."

Also, it appears I don't know how to link to a single post. Sorry :smallannoyed:

Temotei
2010-02-14, 03:19 AM
OoC: In the upper right-hand corner, click on the post number. That's the link to that post.

Fiat Lux
2010-02-15, 02:52 PM
A bright, brittle smile stretches across the sun-weathered face of the young man standing at the ship's prow, his face eager with anticipation. There would be blood, he supposed, but that was largely irrelevant: the other ship's colors gave the promise of challenge, and that was what pumped blood through his veins like quicksilver, not some mere organ. He checked that the long sword belted at his side would slide easily from its scabbard and swaggered back to the assembling boarding party, his light shirt of chain gleaming in the afternoon sun.

"An it looks that there's some guts among them after all, boys. Bows out an blades sharp...she's a fair-sized prize and she'll not yield her bounty without some coaxing, hey?"

dreyus
2010-02-15, 11:42 PM
Standing on the main course-sail yardarm, performing his stretches in anticipation of the coming fight, Midge senses the inevitable. Noticing out of the corner of his eye the declaration of combat from their prey, Midge finishes his stretches and checks once more that his sai is secure, his shurikens handy, the fit of his clothes loose, and the security of the swing line he had rigged from the end of the yardarm.

Satisfied that the swing-line will carry him aboard the trade vessel and not drop onto his own deck, he signals his readiness to his first mate.

"this'll be fun," he mumbles laconically.

Temotei
2010-02-16, 05:06 AM
Your ship starts rapidly gaining on the merchant vessel for some reason. It appears they have anchored in an attempt to escape you. The pirate crew tries to do the same, barely stopping in time, but leaving too large a gap for most of the crew to get across without risk. That's not enough to keep them away though. Each one devises his own plan to get across--ropes, poles, grappling hooks and hanging...

The merchants stand ready for the pirates coming over, but their plan did not account for a pirate's treachery. As each pirate climbs or lands on the deck of the opposing ship, a projectile from the crow's nest or from the pirate deck flies at a merchant, distracting them just long enough to allow the pirates to get by and into combat, which they are far more experienced in than the merchants.

Order of initiative:

Kolth
Midge
Pirates
Merchants
Jaime
Robert

justblade
2010-02-16, 11:34 AM
Even though I never got around to posting it, I hope you assumed that I did climb up into the crow's nest (seeing as I expressed interest in being up there). I'm not entirely certain how long the chase went on in game, so I'm going to assume that I still have the flame in my hand.
From this height, Kolth leaps into the air, but not towards the other ship. His plan is to glide around the ship and land on it from the other side. As he glides, he keeps his eyes on the merchants' lookouts, ready to lob his fire at the first person who looks at him wrong.

dreyus
2010-02-16, 11:59 AM
Searching for a clear patch of deck on the merchant vessel once the ships are abreast of each other, Midge adjusts his grip on the swing line and kicks off the main mast, leaping from the yardarm toward imminent combat.

RE: landing spot; ideally i want to land right in the middle of a group of the merchants but if that looks too hard to accomplish or simply doesn't exist, I'll either aim for a clear bit of deck or to release myself form the swing line in time for an aerial kick at the unfortunate merchant in my way. Their head/shoulder would also make a convenient stepping stone towards the deck or the next unfortunate merchant.

Assuming I successfully land on the deck and not into a merchant, (I'm assuming that I'll be leaping from the swing line, rolling with my landing so as to soften it) I'll come up with my sai ready to either disarm the first merchant to swing at me or nut shot the first inattentive merchant

Temotei
2010-02-17, 12:04 AM
OoC: Produce flame has two rounds left after your glide.

Kolth, landing on the other side of the deck, sees that most of the merchants didn't notice him gliding overhead. One does, however. He looks around, finding a piece of wood on a nearby barrel, and picks it up to wield against Kolth.

Midge's jump surprises several merchants, allowing some of the pirates to climb onto the deck unharmed and some others to grab merchants and toss them overboard. The merchants are consumed by an ever angry sea, waves smashing and crashing into them as they fall.

Midge is in the middle of a group of four merchants. Three are unarmed and one is armed with a dagger.

Fiat Lux
2010-02-17, 10:58 PM
The sun flashes off Jaime's sword as it clears its scabbard, and with a guttural word and a short gesture he invokes his other greatest weapon. For a brief moment his legs bend and flex with matchless power; a predatory grin stretches across his face as he sprints across the deck and soars through the air towards the deck of the merchantman, a wordless cry of challenge ringing from his throat as he does so.

Cast Swift Expeditious Retreat
Jump check [roll0]
If the jump check is successful and he lands on the deck with movement to spare (using his temporary 60ft./round movement rate), Jaime will use the remainder of his turn angling into an advantageous position on the merchantman's crew.

Temotei
2010-02-18, 06:23 PM
Jaime's great leap leaves him nearly on the other side of the deck. He sees a merchant hiding behind a crate nearby, dagger drawn.

OoC: Read the above post again, justblade. That answers all your questions. I think you just missed them.

justblade
2010-02-18, 06:35 PM
Kolth smiles at the little guy who picked up the plank.

"Put that down, junior. You don't want to get hurt. You're in the big kids' playground now."

(Assuming that the guy doesn't do as he's told) Kolth lobs the fire at him and readies his spear for the rest of the fight.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

BobElliot
2010-02-18, 07:02 PM
Underneath decks in the crew's quarters, Robert is finally waking up to the sounds of battle. What a fine time to take a nap! I've nearly missed my first real fight! He hurries up on deck, and quickly assesses the situation. He has naught but a rope to help him across, but he sees the methods the others are taking to get across. He decides to grab onto a swing rope and join the fun, aiming for anywhere that the pirates have already established a space for fighting.

This might take 2 rounds, one to get up to the deck and another to swing over. A map would help me with my plans right now, so I'll see what happens before deciding my next move.

dreyus
2010-02-18, 07:26 PM
having no time to lallygag, Midge quickly moves to put the unarmed merchants between him and the dagger wielding foe. Adding to the confusion, Midge makes the most of his height and elbows his way through and beneath the groin of the nearest unarmed merchant, hoping to knock him over into the next merchant.

would this be both an unarmed strike (elbow to the crotch) and a grapple check (attempt at knocking the guy over)?

unarmed strike: (1d20+2) [15]
damage: (1d4+1) [4]

Fiat Lux
2010-02-18, 09:14 PM
Jaime's eyes glint as he squares off against the merchant; not much of a challenge, but a fair enough start.

"I'm not like to offer you a chance to surrender, but if you're of a mind to grovel, now's the time."

He advances on the hiding merchant, naked blade in his right hand and the beginnings of a spell crackling around his left.

If the man refuses to surrender, Jaime will attack viciously:
Attack -- [roll0]
Damage -- [roll1]

Temotei
2010-02-21, 04:58 PM
Kolth's small fire catches the edge of the merchant's clothing, starting it on fire. While he didn't get hit directly by the fire, he's now panicking, running all around the ship (provoking attacks of opportunity from anyone on deck).

Midge's little stunt puts the elbowed merchant off balance, but he manages to fall only to his knees where he was before (-2 penalty to AC against melee, +2 AC against ranged, -2 on attacks).

The merchant hiding notices Jaime looking at him and speaking and quickly rushes out to slash with his puny dagger. When he sees the sparks of the spell in Jaime's hand though, he stumbles back a little, pulling back too far to hit Jaime.

Jaime's blade does not miss however, and immediately drops the merchant to the ground, bleeding out.

OoC: Please roll on these boards, dreyus.

justblade
2010-02-25, 11:33 PM
Ignoring the merchant he just lit on fire, Kolth starts moving towards the officers' quarters of the ship. For any merchant that tries to cut him off, he has his spear ready to go.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

dreyus
2010-02-27, 10:27 AM
Seeing an opportunity, Midge scrambles to climb on top of the downed merchant. Using the poor fellow's shoulders and face as steps and kick board respectively, Midge launches a flying kick at the next closest merchant.

grapple check: [roll0]
attack: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

Temotei
2010-02-28, 02:38 PM
Kolth's arm reflexively stabs forward as the fiery man runs around the deck, plunging the spear in Kolth's hand into the inferno's leg. Blood spills onto the deck as he continues to run around in a panic. Kolth's movement leads him nearly straight to the passage below deck, with hardly a single resistant merchant. When he finally reaches the passageway, Kolth is stopped by a small man. He stutters, trying to say something along the lines of "halt," but fails. He does look fairly competent in combat though, considering his thin, but muscled, appearance.

Behind the man is another, ready to attack already. The small man ducks at the last moment as the other man's blade comes down in a chopping motion toward Kolth. Unable to dodge, the hadozee takes the sword in the chest, lifeblood spilling out as the cut penetrates skin and muscle.

One merchant moves to put out the fire with a bucket on deck, but fails miserably, simply spilling it all over himself.

Midge continues to astound the merchants with his stunts, but one manages to come to grips with the situation, attempting to hit Midge in the leg so as to cripple him. He fails, however, as the halfling's foot connects with his face, knocking out several teeth, as well as his mind. He lies unconscious on the deck.

The other merchant cries out, dropping his weapon and running away, only to be shot by a pirate nearby.

Nice move, that. You may 'ave to teach me 'ow to jump like that. Like a monkey...or somethin'.

The pirate runs off to get more merchant kills with the rest of the crew.

Robert drops to the deck in a heap suddenly, shaking.

Kolth: 7 damage from a longsword attack.

OoC Note: Kolth's attack was not the one that hit. This is the one rolled in the dice rolling thread as an attack of opportunity.

justblade
2010-03-05, 02:00 PM
Kolth screams as the sword hits him squarely. "That hurt! Bastard!" Kolth screams for help, backs up a step, and casts a spell. The winds seem to circle him, and his wounds begin to close. Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

BobElliot
2010-03-05, 03:49 PM
Suddenly feeling better, Robert leaps up and follows the rest of the crew across. He swings his chain at the first foe that enters range, staying behind one of his fellow plunderers. There's no use in becoming dead when his career is only just beginning.
I'll assume that the falling and shaking was to symbolize me being out of play for a while, and that there has been enough pirates climbing over that there's a well established way that I can just walk over on a plank or something. Attack roll, if somebody's close enough [roll0] and damage[roll1]

dreyus
2010-03-05, 04:11 PM
finding himself clear of merchant threats for the moment, midge takes a second to shake some of the merchant's snot, blood, and drool from his foot, "yech."

hearing Kolth's scream from below decks, merchant juices quickly forgotten, Midge nimbly sprints between obstacles across the deck toward the passage below deck, quickly palming his shuriken for use as a distractive nuisance should he come upon any hostile surprises between himself and Kolth.

in case it's needed:
shuriken attack roll [roll0]
shurkien damage roll [roll1]

Temotei
2010-03-20, 12:52 AM
Midge skitters across the deck unharmed--due in no small part to his extreme measures of attack. The merchants seem to have learned a lesson. However, coming across the enemies Kolth had encountered so suddenly causes Midge to take a slightly unbalanced step, removing accuracy almost entirely for the split second of release. The little metal object goes flying past the smaller man's head, past the bigger one's left shoulder, into a wall.

Reacting quickly, the little man rushes forward toward Midge, judging him as a "bigger" threat. Kolth, feeling better after the healing spell, is able to react, shoving his spear into the man's abdomen, allowing for a quick death. He doesn't even get into range to attack Midge.

The other man looks on with horror, stepping back slightly. He does pull out a vial, however, gulping down its contents as quickly as he can. A certain vigor surrounds him. He seems more confident in his ability.

Robert's chain digs into a merchant's heart, immediately ending his life. Blood pours from the wound like bathwater from the faucet.

OoC: Kolth's attack of opportunity rolled for a 12 with a 6 (+2) on damage, for 8 damage. The 12 hit, leaving the man with -5 hit points. He'll die soon.

justblade
2010-03-20, 01:26 AM
"You guys really are slow learners. What have you got that's so darn important? Just give up. It's easier on everyone. And less painful!" After downing the little guy, Kolth wastes no time. As he taunts the big guy, he charges him, driving his spear towards the man's gut.
Charge [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
-2 AC next round

dreyus
2010-03-20, 01:28 PM
Noting Kolth's height as twice his own, Midge acts quickly to gain elevation. Midge runs at the right wall, palming another shuriken he jumps at the wall, plants his left foot and kicks off while spinning to his right. now having a clean shot over Kolth as he charges at the big man, Midge uses the extra momentum of his kick-off spin to hurl another shuriken towards the big man. "KI-AH!" Midge shrieks as he lets loose the small metal missile, hoping to at least distract Kolth's target if only for the minute advantage a delay in his responses would provide.

Jump Roll [roll0]
Attack Roll [roll1]
Damage Roll [roll2]

Temotei
2010-03-28, 02:21 PM
Kolth's spear drive pierces the big man's side, tearing skin and muscle. He yells out, but manages to keep standing.

Midge's acrobatic attack sets the enemy off-balance and slices into his shoulder a little.

Still standing like a fortress against cannons, the man manages to slice at Kolth. His attack comes in with a new driving force, cutting deeply.

Kolth: You take 4 damage.

OoC: When you have a 1 damage weapon, you don't have to roll. Just note that the damage is 1 + 1 = 2 or whatever.

dreyus
2010-05-19, 02:29 PM
Not one to let an opportunity fly by, Midge lands from his kick off the wall in a full sprint, palming a pair of shurikens. Using Kolth's bulk as cover, Midge charges toward the big man, ducking through Kolth's legs Midge hurls his shuriken at the big man's eyes while leading with his shoulder at a full speed groin level tackle.

Shuriken Attack Roll [roll0]
Unarmed Strike Roll (shoulder to the groin) [roll1]
Shurken Damage 1+1=2
Shoulder to Sack damage [roll2]