PDA

View Full Version : Starscream vs. Murphy's Law

Starscream
2010-02-13, 11:27 AM
So let me tell you about my day...

My cousin is getting married today, so yesterday I had to travel from Fort Walton Beach Florida to Nashville Tennessee in order to attend.

I wake up bright and early, at six AM. I am already mostly packed. I have printed out some Google Maps directions. I have plenty of money for gas and snacks. Someone has even lent me their GPS, so I don't need to read the directions while driving. It's an 8 hour trip and I figure I can be there by three. Things are looking up.

I tell the GPS my destination and it calculates a route. Looks like a good efficient route, too. I decide to follow it. After a while I miss one turn, but that's okay, the GPS just compensates by recalculating based on you current position. It'll probably just have me loop around and keep going, right?

Wrong. It develops a whole new route without informing me. Length of the original route? 440 miles. New one? 656. I don't notice for a while because the basic directions (West and then North) seem the same. It isn't until I realize I have been going West for rather a long time that it occurs to me to check. Seems this new one will have me going west literally for hours, turn around and then go east. I wasted two hours getting back on course. Hell of a bug, I have not ruled out that the thing was possessed by a demon. I start over, this time using my printed directions.

Next step: navigating Alabama (cue banjo music). As soon as I cross the border into the state, I hit a blizzard. Like a minute after going over the line. Sunny throughout Florida, blizzard a hundred yards into Alabama. Uncanny. And while I hate to stereotype, Southern people cannot drive in snow. They slow down to 40 below the limit and still keep swerving across lanes. I'm from Northern Ohio, so I've skipped through worse weather. Now traffic is slowed to a crawl. But after I get on a bigger, better plowed road, things pick up.

That's when a trucker runs me off the road. Honestly. It was an accident, he immediately stopped to see if I was alright (I was, apart from my heart being in my esophagus) and I didn't make a big deal out of it. I was just happy to be in possession of all my limbs.

Now I am driving through Alabama. Miles and miles of bloody Alabama. 350 miles or so to be precise. It's basically a straight line through the whole state, and the weather has mostly cleared up, but literally every ten miles or so I hit ten miles of construction. The speed limit plummets, lanes are closed, and because I have long since squandered my early start there is a lot of traffic. The attempts to drive me astray, freeze me out, and send me careening off the road were annoying, but this is psychological torture. I'm starting to wish for more bad things to happen, because at least that was interesting.

Finally, after about 6.5 hours of this, I make it to Tennessee. And promptly get lost again. Turns out my exit was closed, Google didn't know about it, and I think all the time of driving in a straight line has reduced my brain to processed cheese and I have now lost the ability to find my own way around this. So I have to pull over, take out the hated GPS (which was in my glove box this whole time, probably cursing in Latin and spitting pea soup on everything) to find the road I'm looking for.

Finally I get there. I have made it! I have triumphed! I have...locked my keys in the car.

Bugger.

Now comes an hour of waiting for AAA to come and jimmy my lock. Up until now I have withstood attacks from the forces of nature, technology, and other people but this is the first time my own dumb self has done it. While standing out in the cold waiting, I contemplate what is still to come. I would not rule out an asteroid strike at this point.

But no, that was the last catastrophe of the night. Apparently the universe gave up on trying to prevent me from getting to Nashville. The 8 hour trip has by now become a 13 hour one, but it's over.

Until I drive back on Sunday. If you never hear from me again, just know that I have no regrets. So long as I took the GPS down with me.:smallsmile:

ScottishDragon
2010-02-13, 11:39 AM
never trust a gps,they are demon posessed.

rayne_dragon
2010-02-13, 12:55 PM
GPS are strange things, I swear I've heard one say "take the next freakin' left" once. Another time we were heading somewhere we could have taken a straight line and turned left, instead it took out out of the way through a complicated series of side streets to make this simple left turn... it didn't help that it took us through a 5 way intersection and the person who was driven took the same wrong turn at the intersection twice.

So we would have been better off without it. Call me old fashioned, but I'll take a decent map over a gps any day.

PhoeKun
2010-02-13, 01:36 PM
GPS are strange things, I swear I've heard one say "take the next freakin' left" once. Another time we were heading somewhere we could have taken a straight line and turned left, instead it took out out of the way through a complicated series of side streets to make this simple left turn... it didn't help that it took us through a 5 way intersection and the person who was driven took the same wrong turn at the intersection twice.

So we would have been better off without it. Call me old fashioned, but I'll take a decent map over a gps any day.

You're old fashioned. :smalltongue:

The only issue I've ever had with a GPS has been the result of me not keeping the maps updated. Now that I have one that keeps itself updated by tapping into the awesome power that is google maps, that is no longer a concern. Long live the GPS. Long live me being able to find places!

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-13, 01:50 PM
I love my GPS. It has never done me wrong.

You have to be more intimidating than the demonic technology, folks!

Linkavitch
2010-02-13, 01:52 PM
I went on a trip to Canada once, and the driver bought both a GPS and directions from the internet. Turns out, after 45 minutes of wandering around S. S. Marie Canada, that he forgot to get the expansion with the Canada map. And te Mapquest actually worked, he just didn't look at it often enough.

Eldan
2010-02-13, 02:16 PM
Navigation systems have become rather infamous around here lately, actually.

You see, there was a series of near-accidents. Let me explain the story.

First, the setting: the Gotthard tunnel. 24.5km long tunnel under the alps. Apparently, several people over a year were told by their GPSs to turn round and drive back in the middle of the tunnel. And they did it. Five or six of them last year alone. The police said they were close to prohibiting navigation systems in the tunnel.

Oh, and there was this guy who wanted to go to a famous skiing resort. His GPS told him to take a small road. He did that. It told him to leave the road and travel down a small forest path. He did that. Then it told him to leave the forest path and go down a narrower path for transporting logs out of the forest. Which he did as well. Then it told him to drive into the swamp. Long story short, the police had to save him. They couldn't even get his car out easily, because the tow truck couldn't get there. I think they had to find a team of mules or something.

And then, under anecdotes: a truck driver, headed for Gibraltar (iberian penninsula), ended up in Gibraltar, Buckinghamshire, GB.

Starscream
2010-02-13, 04:11 PM
GPS are strange things, I swear I've heard one say "take the next freakin' left" once.

This one didn't do that, but when you make a mistake it actually manages to sound rather snotty when informing you.

Oh, and there was this guy who wanted to go to a famous skiing resort. His GPS told him to take a small road. He did that. It told him to leave the road and travel down a small forest path. He did that. Then it told him to leave the forest path and go down a narrower path for transporting logs out of the forest. Which he did as well. Then it told him to drive into the swamp.

Didn't they do that in an episode of Doctor Who? The car tells its driver to drive into a lake. She doesn't so it takes control and drives itself in, and won't let her out. I kept thinking of that when this one betrayed me.

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-13, 04:28 PM
Didn't they do that in an episode of Doctor Who? The car tells its driver to drive into a lake. She doesn't so it takes control and drives itself in, and won't let her out. I kept thinking of that when this one betrayed me.

I think it was a river or a canal, but the end result is the same.

Anyway, sounds like you were sorely tested on your journey and might do well to start planning ahead for the return journey as soon as possible... I've got to admit here, that despite being a decent navigator (with real maps at least) I tend to stick with public transport wherever I feasibly can... It doesn't help that, in Milton Keynes (where I live) some of the neighbourhoods are so new that the streets haven't actually been put on to the up to date Sat-Nav maps yet.

gibbo88
2010-02-13, 07:39 PM
Of course the GPS was getting confused in the tunnel, I doubt it would have been getting any signals from the satellites...It would have had no idea where it was.

thubby
2010-02-13, 07:56 PM
pea soup? i swear the gps god is sitting in his evil little chair whispering "all according to my plan". i actually had the pleasure of seeing someone literally shoot their gps.

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-13, 07:58 PM
pea soup? i swear the gps god is sitting in his evil little chair whispering "all according to my plan". i actually had the pleasure of seeing someone literally shoot their gps.

There are no higher beings involved in the great GPS conspiracy, only a number of very talented, very malicious hackers.

Zexion
2010-02-13, 08:06 PM
Very funny story. Go get those GPS hackers!

Amiel
2010-02-13, 08:52 PM
Navigation systems have become rather infamous around here lately, actually.

You see, there was a series of near-accidents. Let me explain the story.
Story

These actually sound more like extreme cases of stupidity...humans have enough trouble as it is just driving cars (behold the multitude of accidents each year, the totality of which leave casualties greater than any war, famine, plague), that people would want to trust navigation to some fallible piece of machinery?
This is what led to the rise of SkyNet after all.

This one didn't do that, but when you make a mistake it actually manages to sound rather snotty when informing you.

Clearly they are paving the way for the inevitable Machine Revolution. Quick! Tell the others, tell them the truth. That there is a grand cons-LONG LIVE THE MACHINES!

Hope there aren't any more dramas (more problems), as the Australians would say. Pleasant trip.

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-13, 08:53 PM
I thought you meant the comic by CoffeeIncluded.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-13, 09:13 PM
I thought you meant the comic by CoffeeIncluded.

Same here.

DraPrime
2010-02-13, 10:09 PM
I find that I can abuse my GPS into submission by angrily yelling insults at it in multiple languages. I also named it Steve.