PDA

View Full Version : Spells For My Sorcerer [Pathfinder]

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-13, 12:35 PM
So my sorcerer (abberant bloodline) just hit 6th level, and I need to decide on which 3rd-level spell to teach him. I've narrowed it down to the following list:
Dispel Magic
Hold Person
Suggestion
Fireball (or Lightning Bolt)
Major Image
Ray of Exhaustion
Vampiric Touch
Fly
Haste
Slow

Relevant info:
-- He can cast touch spells from 10 feet away
-- He gets "Tongues" as a bonus spell at 7th level
-- He has Spell Focus (Necromancy)
-- He has 18 Charisma and an attack bonus for Ray spells of +7
-- His current spell list:
Acid Ray 7/day (+7, 1d6+2 acid damage)
0-level (infinite, save dc 14)
Light, Prestidigitaion, Detect Magic, Daze, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand
1-level (7/day, save dc 15 (16 necro)
Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Enlarge Person, Shocking Grasp, Ray Of Enfeeblement
2-level (5/day, save dc 16 (17 necro)
Invisibility, See Invisibility, Blindness/Deafness

I know I'm making way too big of a deal about this, but I'm like that.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-13, 12:37 PM
I think Haste is a great one, but it might depend on party. Fly is also useful.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-13, 12:48 PM
The thing about Haste and Fly that's making me not decide is that they're passive buffs. Sure, Fly can get past an obstacle, but how often do you need to use that?

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-13, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking Hold Person at this point, but still not sure...

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-13, 01:58 PM
The thing about Haste and Fly that's making me not decide is that they're passive buffs. Sure, Fly can get past an obstacle, but how often do you need to use that?

:smallfrown:
You aren't serious are you?

FinalJustice
2010-02-13, 02:02 PM

Probably a lot, actually. On yourself and on your unflying beatsticks. And Fly is minute/level, so it's not a once a day deal. But that really depens on your playstyle.

lsfreak
2010-02-13, 02:21 PM
Haste: One of the single best buffs in the game, and especially if you've got a lot of melee/archer allies.
Fly: Can easily get around obstacles and the like, and keep you out of harm's way.
Slow: One of the best debuffs in the game. Will-save, non-mind-affecting, and hits a lot of targets. Against a *lot* of little guys, or against one big guy, Haste on your allies is probably better. If you're often against groups the size of, or slightly larger than, your party, I'd go with Slow.
Major Image: If you're creative with it, have a DM that will go along with your uses of it, and if you've got a way to make it last longer than 3 rounds (like Concentrating as a move/swift action). That's quite a few 'if's.

Herbstfarben
2010-02-13, 06:21 PM
No love for Dispel Magic? Unless party members already have it, of course.

Oblivious
2010-02-13, 08:08 PM
I generally agree with Isfreak.

The usefulness of Haste is proportional to the number of people in the party who want to make frequent full attack actions.
Hold Person compliments your fort save spells well, but Slow is a will save against multiple targets and there aren't large numbers of creatures immune to it.
Flight is fairly easy to get from items and Fly is dwarfed in usefulness by Phantom Steed at high levels.
Ray of Exhaustion plays to your strengths and doesn't allow a save if the target is already fatigued, but is sort of redundant with your other spells.
The usefulness of Suggestion really depends on the campaign.

I would personally go with Slow and later Ray of Exhaustion or Vampiric Touch, if only to maintain your necromancer/debuff theme.

ericgrau
2010-02-13, 08:20 PM
I'd take haste, slow, fireball or maybe lightning bolt. They're offensive and usually very useful. As said the choice depends on the number and arrangement of martial allies and enemies. I'd also take empower spell for your rays of enfeeblement and possible future rays.

Dispel Magic and vampiric touch will be nice later. Maybe not yet. Hold person, suggestion, and major image are too situational. Likewise secondary choices. Ray of exhaustion is meh, but could be an option later. Neither necromancy spell gains any benefit from spell focus. Heck weapon focus (ray spell) would do more. Fly is only good if you're outdoors a lot, and only if you have another spell like fireball to launch from the sky. Right now all you have is a level 1 ray. And the rest of the time it'll be a wasted spell slot.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-02-13, 10:53 PM
Do you not have a Cleric in the party? If you do, forget Dispel Magic and Hold Person. Fly to get over an obstacle? A Cleric of the same level has Summon Monster III, with one of the options being a Hippogriff. Take Haste if you like buffing, Slow if you like controlling, or Fireball if you like dealing damage yourself.

Mauril Everleaf
2010-02-14, 12:08 AM
You might consider checking out this Pathfinder sorcerer guide.
A Minstrel's Take on God's Hot Sister (http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ae0QGAqQqqSpZGNicGM2eHRfM2R0ejVtN2d2&hl=en)

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-15, 05:04 PM
Do you not have a Cleric in the party? If you do, forget Dispel Magic and Hold Person. Fly to get over an obstacle? A Cleric of the same level has Summon Monster III, with one of the options being a Hippogriff. Take Haste if you like buffing, Slow if you like controlling, or Fireball if you like dealing damage yourself.

We sometimes have a cleric. My group isn't sure if the guy playing the cleric will keep playing, so we have him run as an NPC when he isn't here. But he started as an NPC to begin with, so he might go away. But we do have a druid...

I enjoy debuffs and dealing damage, but I don't really like buffing my allies much. So I'm still thinking Slow, Fireball, or Hold Person. Our party is mostly melee-based (fighter, rogue, druid, etc.) but as I said I don't enjoy buffing.

Wagadodo
2010-02-15, 05:15 PM
If you enjoy damage dealing just claim the extra attack that each of your party members do as a bonus to you. *Grins* I like haste because in the long run you are going to be doing more damage with that spell than most of your offensive spells. And it makes your party members happy with you, unless you have to keep reminding them to attack.

Acero
2010-02-15, 05:21 PM
i would choose fireball, but that's me. im a blaster

your blasting is already OK, so go with fly. Fireball next

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-15, 05:33 PM
What about Suggestion? It's only single-target, but I might be able to use it to get someone out of the fight -- make them run away, or go swimming, etc. Fireball is my second choice right now. Haste, Slow, and Fly could come later, but I also want some stuff like Ray of Enfeeblement and Vampiric Touch. There's just too... many... spells!

DueceEsMachine
2010-02-15, 05:33 PM
Here's a question - does your party fighter use two-weapon fighting, or a 2H weapon?

Haste is even better with TWF, since he'd get an extra attack with each weapon, or at least that's always the way I've understood it.

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-15, 05:40 PM
Here's a question - does your party fighter use two-weapon fighting, or a 2H weapon?

Haste is even better with TWF, since he'd get an extra attack with each weapon, or at least that's always the way I've understood it.

I know she doesn't do two weapons, but I can't remember whether she uses a 2-hander or weapon/shield.

DueceEsMachine
2010-02-15, 05:46 PM
Ah, no big deal then. Just a thought. Personally, I'd go with haste for sure, and Probably hold person/ Lightning.

I'm not one on big explosions, as my friends tend to get caught in them. At least with a line I don't have to worry about that.

Hold person, well, that's just a very useful spell. There are others as well, but those are probably the ones I like best.

Gametime
2010-02-15, 06:10 PM

Haste gives you one extra attack, regardless of how many you're wielding. It's better with a two-hander, though not enormously so.

Mauril Everleaf
2010-02-16, 02:35 AM
Pathfinder Hold Person allows a save every round now, so it's not nearly as good a spell as the 3.5 version. It's decent, especially against things that have poor Will saves anyway, but even a 5% chance of success is still a chance.

I'd take Slow if you want to debuff. Fireball for simple damage. Fly is my favorite 3rd level spell, so I'd recommend that.