PDA

View Full Version : Escalation Mage and Caster Level Checks

Bibliomancer
2010-02-13, 08:28 PM
I'm currently playing a wizard 5/escalation mage 2 in the early stages of a Red Hand of Doom campaign (Escalation Mage is found in Faiths of Eberron*). The basic feature of escalation mage is that you can apply a few specific metamagic effects to your spells for free by burning a swift action, but you have to make a caster level check (DC equal to 10, 12, 14, or 16 + two times spell level, depending on desired effect) or take hit point damage. My question to the Playground is this:

Are there any ways of boosting caster level checks for all spells?

I know of the Ring of Arcane Might from the Complete Arcane and the Orange Ioun stone from the Dungeon Master's Guide, but both of those are expensive (20,000 gp and 30,000 gp respectively), probably because they boost effective caster level. Is there any way to boost caster level checks for spells? [I've seen ways to boost it for specific spells and for Spell Resistance checks, but not for caster level checks in general.]

*It's somewhat like an incantatrix but less broken, and also not banned by my DM.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-13, 08:40 PM
Raising Caster Level. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level)

There's a feat around somewhere that lets you take 10 on all caster level checks. I think it's in either the PHBII or Complete Mage.

Edit: It's Arcane Mastery from Complete Arcane.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-13, 09:44 PM
Im a fan of create magic tattoo. It's what, a hundred GP for a day? So, to match the orange ioun stone in price, you'd have to use it for...300 in game days.

Right, like that's going to happen.

lsfreak
2010-02-13, 09:46 PM
Im a fan of create magic tattoo. It's what, a hundred GP for a day?

Best used in conjunction with a Lesser Rod of Extend, making it last 2 days.

Gorbash
2010-02-13, 10:17 PM
Invest in UMD and buy a Bead of Karma. Since you're playing RHoD, most of the high level equipment won't help you, but if you continue playing the same character afterwards, Ring/Robe of Arcane Might are a nice addition.