PDA

View Full Version : How many paladins of the Sapphire Guard survived?

MReav
2010-02-13, 09:17 PM
We know that most of them died, but I wonder, how many paladins were out of town when Azure City was attacked? We know Thahn was. And O-Chul refers to many being away (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html). Did any "newbies" go underground with others who would become resistance members? Will these paladins ever be seen again? Did Redcloak send death squads after them?

And on a tangentially related note: what is the proper shorthand term? Sapphire Guardsmen? Sapphire Guardians?

Ulrichomega
2010-02-13, 09:31 PM
As many as plot demands.

slayerx
2010-02-13, 09:42 PM
Ya i would expect that their would be more paladins amongst the rebels... O'chul words do indicate their should have been a few who were outside the city, and i highly doubt any of the paladins would have just given up on the city and the people

So i'd imagine they either joined the rebels or maybe are trying a way to rejoin hinjo

Dr.Epic
2010-02-13, 11:17 PM
We only know that Hinjo, O-Chul, Thann, and Lien survived. Any others are still a mystery.

multilis
2010-02-14, 01:04 AM
And of course Miko will always live on.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-14, 02:03 AM
And of course Miko will always live on.

Only in the hearts and minds of very angry self-righteous jerks.

BRC
2010-02-14, 02:05 AM
Probably very few. O-Chul was the only paladin to survive the battle in the Throne Room. IIRC Hinjo mentioned sending novice paladins to protect civilians, which means they were probably mostly slaughtered when the Hobgoblins stormed the city.

Vemynal
2010-02-14, 02:19 AM
whats stopping them from training new paladin's?

I mean they are gonna be like level 1's but still paladins

Dr.Epic
2010-02-14, 02:23 AM
whats stopping them from training new paladin's?

I mean they are gonna be like level 1's but still paladins

Wait, isn't the Sapphire Guard gone and thus none of them technically survived as in there are no more members? Their duty was to protect the Gate in Azure City which has since been destroyed.

Kareasint
2010-02-14, 02:50 AM
I would argue that the Sapphire Guard still exists as an organization but it has lost its main purpose. The Guardians (just to keep it gender neutral) can train more paladins if someone is willing to join. However, the main "cause" for the Order has probably changed to protection of the remaining citizens (including those currently enslaved - retaking the city would be a priority).

Dr.Epic
2010-02-14, 03:13 AM
I would argue that the Sapphire Guard still exists as an organization but it has lost its main purpose. The Guardians (just to keep it gender neutral) can train more paladins if someone is willing to join. However, the main "cause" for the Order has probably changed to protection of the remaining citizens (including those currently enslaved - retaking the city would be a priority).

The Sapphire Guard protected the sapphire that housed the gate. With no gate the organization is no more. In this strip Hinjo says the oath (and one would assume the Guard) is gone. The paladins can of course protect the gates but with no gate in Azure City I think the order is dissolved (though I am in favor of some sort of paladin force should Azure City ever be retaken).

Kareasint
2010-02-14, 07:12 AM
And Yet...

Hinjo still referred to it as the Sapphire Guard (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0473.html) even though the gem had already been destroyed.

As I said, the oath (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html) to guard that particular gem is indeed gone but they can take up another cause. This does not mean that the order has disbanded. Hinjo says this in panel four.

The exact number of remaining members cannot be determined with the info that we have. It would depend on how many were away from the city at the time.

NerfTW
2010-02-14, 09:45 AM
As many as plot demands.

And unoriginal comment of the week goes to....

multilis
2010-02-16, 05:36 PM
(Miko)
Only in the hearts and minds of very angry self-righteous jerks.Hope you aren't referring to yourself (since you took time to post about her). ;-)

IMO Miko has survived by still being one of most mentioned Paladins on this board (despite not having appearance for real life years). Love her or hate her, she was not boring/easily forgotten.

[Hinjo is leader, still active and lots of screen time, yet in some ways Miko is still more alive - more mention, easier to remember details without looking into archives. I suspect most people here would easier forget Hinjo's name or who Hinjo was, than Miko]

Nilan8888
2010-02-18, 11:47 AM
Wait, isn't the Sapphire Guard gone and thus none of them technically survived as in there are no more members? Their duty was to protect the Gate in Azure City which has since been destroyed.

Yeah, but people were still calling Luke a Jedi even though by the time he's running around as far as the movies are concerned, if you even include him, there are at best only 3 Jedi left in the entire galaxy by epsiode IV (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke). Plus maybe Vader if you want to include him. And even then it would be generous to call like a Jedi at this point. But that's what they were calling him by the last movie.

If you were part of the order when it had a crisis, then you become the order. You can argue thier duty is still to protect Azure City: they just haven't been doing a very good job of it recently.

So that said, we can only absolutely confirm that 4 members of the Guard survived. This doesn't mean others did not. However considering the most powerful members aside from maybe Lien and Hinjo were in the Throne Room battle and were slaughtered, whoever is left is unlikely to be very powerful.

But there's always room for exceptions if they're needed.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-18, 11:51 AM
The organization is now void of it's original purpose, but there's no reason to call it anything else and they're still bound to serve the lord of Azure City. It'll live on, if fragilized by the massive thinning of their numbers.

Currently we know of 4 surviving Guards. Although Hinjo said "many" are left on trips, I dare say not even a dozen will be left or put into use in the comic.