PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated Growth Spell (PEACH)

Lysander
2010-02-13, 10:57 PM
This spell wouldn't be useful every day, but could be handy in some situations. Especially for a wizard who wants an heir or apprentice without the tedious child rearing. It takes a bit of hubris to cast this:

Accelerated Growth
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature under ten years of age
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The subject immediately ages to become ten years old. The change is mental as well as biological. Very young individuals of intelligent species will learn to speak a language and gain basic general knowledge and abilities as if the caster had raised them normally, but not specialized skills or training. The subject retains any memories or impressions formed before the spell, and is not forced to view the caster favorably or obey their commands.

Material Component
A pinch of dirt from a grave

Kumori
2010-02-13, 11:13 PM
It may be interesting to change it to add 10 years to anyone's age instead. Not restricting it to the young means it could be used to reach the old age milestones to get the extra Int, Wis, and Cha bonuses.

Also, have you considered the flavour that an XP cost would add? It would have the feel of transfering some of your experiences to the subject.

Kaishi
2010-02-13, 11:23 PM
I agree with Kumori. There shouldn't be a reason that the subject would mature mentally unless he/she had something to base its growth on. Transplanting some of the memories and experiences of the caster would fit fairly nicely. However, even as such, it would probably take a large amount of experience.

Zexion
2010-02-14, 12:10 AM
Perhaps the experience cost is 1,000+twice the amount of EXP you wish the target to start out with. So you CAN create a ten year old 500th level Sorcerer (the possibilities are endless), but it would require a massive amount of EXP.

Kumori
2010-02-14, 12:34 AM
I don't think the intent was to be able to give XP to the target, but just change his age.

Shpadoinkle
2010-02-14, 02:40 AM
I agree with Kumori. There shouldn't be a reason that the subject would mature mentally unless he/she had something to base its growth on.

True, but MAGIC.

Lysander
2010-02-14, 11:42 AM
I don't think the intent was to be able to give XP to the target, but just change his age.

Yeah, my original idea was just to make a way of turning a baby into a child. Then the magician would be able to train them normally. I could imagine there being a greater version to directly grant someone spellcaster levels or other abilities though.