PDA

View Full Version : Help with rules and such

Os1ris09
2010-02-14, 12:08 AM
Items: Monk's Belt, Gauntlets of the Talon (Sacrifice a 5th level spell slot), Might Arms Warforged Graft, Battlefist, Fanged Ring, Necklace of Natural Weapons (or Amulet of Mighty Fists)

where can I find the equipment in bold?

**Beast Strike is a feat from Dragon Magazine #355 p.76. It requires Improved Unarmed Strike, Base Attack Bonus +5, and a claw or slam attack. When making an unarmed strike, you may add your claw or slam damage to the attack.
Base Unarmed Strike Damage: 2d10->12d8(Giant Size)->16d8(Fanged Ring)->24d8(Battlefist)->32d8(totem avatar) *Note: Giant Size is acquired via Miracle.
Base Slam Damage: 2d6->8d6(Giant Size)->12d6(Imp. Natural Attack)->16d6(totem avatar)

Can you use a miracle to create a ring that is at will to make you a giant? Such as an ring of enlarge person that is at will?

Full attack Routine is five unarmed strike+slam damage via flurry, a slam as an off-hand attack and a bite as an offhand attack.

Also can you make an off-hand attack while flurrying? I thought you could only make your flurry of blows at a full action so where are the other attacks coming from?

Edit: On another note does the Rainbow Servant PrC combined with Warmage does Warmage get another casting lvl every lvl of Rainbow servant, and is this the case with seeker of the misty isle?

Pluto
2010-02-14, 03:12 AM
where can I find the equipment in bold?

Might Arms is in Faiths of Eberron, I believe.
The Fanged Ring is in Dragon Magic.

Can you use a miracle to create a ring that is at will to make you a giant? Such as an ring of enlarge person that is at will?
There are guidelines for it, but the rule is wholly dependant on your DM.
No printed material I'm familiar with will directly pressure a decision either way.

Also can you make an off-hand attack while flurrying? I thought you could only make your flurry of blows at a full action so where are the other attacks coming from?
Yes. But you cannot use Slams or Bites, according to the "only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons" part of Flurry.

Edit: On another note does the Rainbow Servant PrC combined with Warmage does Warmage get another casting lvl every lvl of Rainbow servant, and is this the case with seeker of the misty isle?
Strictly by the Rules as Written? Yes. Text Trumps Table.
In actual games? Usually No. It's clear that the text is just a lazy job of copypasta.
If some DMs want to give Rainbow Servant a boost so that Warmages can play the same game as Artificers, they might let it slide.

Os1ris09
2010-02-14, 12:34 PM
Might Arms is in Faiths of Eberron, I believe.
The Fanged Ring is in Dragon Magic.

There are guidelines for it, but the rule is wholly dependant on your DM.
No printed material I'm familiar with will directly pressure a decision either way.

Yes. But you cannot use Slams or Bites, according to the "only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons" part of Flurry.

Strictly by the Rules as Written? Yes. Text Trumps Table.
In actual games? Usually No. It's clear that the text is just a lazy job of copypasta.
If some DMs want to give Rainbow Servant a boost so that Warmages can play the same game as Artificers, they might let it slide.

Ok I understand or found the other stuff that is not in bold. What I do not understand is that isn't a slam or bite considered an "unarmed" strike because you are not weilding any weapon AND it is natural to yourself "aka" natural attack. On another note I thought that a flurry only intailed 5 attacks with either fist's or monk weapons or feet so why can't you say "I headbutt the guy while I try to bite him AND I start to pound on him with my fists in the way of a slam"

Starbuck_II
2010-02-14, 12:49 PM

Wish can do it. But both would cost Xp to create (which can get pretty expensive).

So yes, but you'd need alot of XP.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-14, 01:11 PM
What I do not understand is that isn't a slam or bite considered an "unarmed" strike because you are not weilding any weapon AND it is natural to yourself "aka" natural attack.
These are natural attacks. Unarmed strikes are a subset of natural attacks, and specifically refer to training in using stock humanoid body parts for fighting: punches, kicks, head butts, and the like. Your basic humanoid doesn't have a slam attack or a powerful bite, so those aren't covered in unarmed strike training.

I think your confusion is in thinking the hierarchy was the other way around (i.e., you thought natural attacks were a subset of unarmed strikes), but that's not the way D&D categorizes these things.

Pluto
2010-02-14, 02:22 PM
Ok I understand or found the other stuff that is not in bold. What I do not understand is that isn't a slam or bite considered an "unarmed" strike because you are not weilding any weapon AND it is natural to yourself "aka" natural attack.
^What Curmudgeon said.
The Monk's Unarmed Strike, like a Bite, Slam or Claw attack, is a specific type of Natural Weapon.
Natural Weapon is are not a kind of Unarmed Strike.

But I believe there is at least one racial substitution level that allows Monks to use some Natural Weapons while flurrying... That Incarnum class with the arm-blades, maybe?

And I think Shou Disciple from Unapproachable East lets you flurry with any attack you can make.

On another note I thought that a flurry only intailed 5 attacks with either fist's or monk weapons or feet so why can't you say "I headbutt the guy while I try to bite him AND I start to pound on him with my fists in the way of a slam"
Flurry is made with Unarmed Strikes.
Monks can use any parts of their bodies to perform Unarmed Strikes.
So a Monk could say "I headbutt the guy while I try to bite him AND I start to pound on him with my fists in the way of a slam"; it's just that every one of those attacks would be represented by the Monk's basic flurry routine.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-14, 02:37 PM
Why would you even want to flurry with another natural weapon? It's not like they deal much more damage, and it's only one feat to make your unarmed attacks slashing or piercing as well as bludgeoning.

Pluto
2010-02-14, 02:53 PM
Why would you even want to flurry with another natural weapon? It's not like they deal much more damage, and it's only one feat to make your unarmed attacks slashing or piercing as well as bludgeoning.

Flurry of Blows doesn't prescribe the attack routine. It only adds attacks to your full round attack action when certain conditions are met.
This means that, if you can use natural weapons in a flurry, you can get the extra attack from FoB and all the secondary attacks you get from other sources.
Normally, you have to choose.

Os1ris09
2010-02-14, 02:59 PM
Flurry of Blows doesn't prescribe the attack routine. It only adds attacks to your full round attack action when certain conditions are met.
This means that, if you can use natural weapons in a flurry, you can get the extra attack from FoB and all the secondary attacks you get from other sources.
Normally, you have to choose.

with gauntlets of talon though you gain the ability to have your unarmed attack become slashing. Combine that with Might Arm warforged graft and Fanged ring and you get a slam attack