PDA

View Full Version : question about DDI

Mystic Muse
2010-02-14, 12:50 AM
okay. I want to get a one month subscription to DDI. I want to make sure what I want to do with it is legal first though. I want to be able to download the character builder and the issues of both dragon/dungeon magazine along with the "Scales of war" campaign.

Is this legal or no?

GenPol
2010-02-14, 12:21 PM
Let me make sure I understand the question.

So you want to get a one month subscription to DDI, and during that month you want to download the Character Builder, and all past and present Dungeon and Dragon magazine articles.

Yeah, I think that's fine. You just won't be able to download anything after that one month period, and you won't be able to update your Character Builder.

oxybe
2010-02-14, 12:28 PM
i don't see why that would not be legal.

during that one month period you get full access to everything on it, including back issues & the builder. after the month is over, you won't be able to download further issues or updates.

i plan on doing that very thing once i know PHB3 is inside the Charbuilder.

Boci
2010-02-14, 12:42 PM
i don't see why that would not be legal.

during that one month period you get full access to everything on it, including back issues & the builder. after the month is over, you won't be able to download further issues or updates.

i plan on doing that very thing once i know PHB3 is inside the Charbuilder.

So basically, the longer you wait, the more you will get for your buck?

oxybe
2010-02-14, 12:52 PM
yes. the mags are just .pdfs you can download and the charbuilder is an app you download & install. the only internet it needs is to update it's database.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/characterbuilder
Q: Can I use the D&D Character Builder offline?
A: Yes! You need a connection to download it initially. Subscribers get the initial download and can decide whether they want the monthly updates. Aside from that, you don't need to be online to use the Character Builder.

the longer you wait, the more bang for your buck you get. on the flipside, you don't have access to the next month's stuff.

Boci
2010-02-14, 01:01 PM
yes. the mags are just .pdfs you can download and the charbuilder is an app you download & install. the only internet it needs is to update it's database.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/characterbuilder
Q: Can I use the D&D Character Builder offline?
A: Yes! You need a connection to download it initially. Subscribers get the initial download and can decide whether they want the monthly updates. Aside from that, you don't need to be online to use the Character Builder.

the longer you wait, the more bang for your buck you get. on the flipside, you don't have access to the next month's stuff.

For people like me that is going to become an eternal waiting game, "I want to get the character building, but if I wait more I'll get more material,". Oh well, I guess once PH III is out should be a good time to start.

If I subscribe for 1 month, then wait 4 months before updating for a month, will I get the 4 months in between as well? Because if not, there doesn't seem to be a point in ever updating, you'd just buy it again from scratch.

oxybe
2010-02-14, 01:26 PM
when your DDI is active you have full access to the back issues & it updates with all the latest information since your last update. so if you wait 4 months until your next update, you should get 4 months worth of updates.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-14, 01:54 PM
okay. thank you.

The J Pizzel
2010-02-14, 07:41 PM
Don't know if you care, but as someone who was very skeptical at first....I'll be the first to tell you, IT'S WORTH EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR (opinion).

Seriously, I downloaded the character and thought it was pretty cool. Then I started downloading .pdf's from the magazines and thought it was really cool. Then I finally downloaded the monster builder. Oh yeah...it's all down here from here. Seriously, that's just about the most kick assed thing I've seen.

worth. every. dollar.

Macrovore
2010-02-14, 09:03 PM
Here's another question about ddi

is there any way to export the character sheets to .pdfs or something? Because i don't have a printer, and the school computers can't get ddi on them, so the only way we can get them is to use print screen to throw jpegs in to word documents, and that takes a lot longer than I care to spend.

Skrizzy
2010-02-14, 09:13 PM
Here's another question about ddi

is there any way to export the character sheets to .pdfs or something? Because i don't have a printer, and the school computers can't get ddi on them, so the only way we can get them is to use print screen to throw jpegs in to word documents, and that takes a lot longer than I care to spend.

I assume you are using XP at home, then going to school to play and using a computer to track your character sheet. Vista and 7 both have ways to save prints to PDFs built in, while xp has the microsoft version (.xps).

I personally use CutePDF, which creates a virtual printer, which creates the PDFs.

Macrovore
2010-02-14, 09:39 PM
I have 7, but the character sheet reader in ddi won't let me save the character sheets (.dnd4e files) as .pdfs. I don't think. Can they be exported or something?

Gralamin
2010-02-14, 09:48 PM
I have 7, but the character sheet reader in ddi won't let me save the character sheets (.dnd4e files) as .pdfs. I don't think. Can they be exported or something?

Try printing it using the PDF printer.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-02-14, 09:48 PM
I use CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/) and it works pretty well.

Macrovore
2010-02-14, 09:49 PM
pdf printer? What's that?

Beleriphon
2010-02-14, 10:00 PM
pdf printer? What's that?

A program that allows you to "print" a document to a PDF file rather than a physical printer. They're pretty neat. Adobe Acrobat (the full version) comes with one, but its a wee bit pricey for most people. CutePDF as mentioned is a good choice for the financially challenged (its free).

Jokes
2010-02-14, 10:05 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that Wizards have Auto-Renew on by default for subscriptions. So if you only want one month, be sure you turn it off (and it's pretty hard to find, it's somewhere in your account settings) otherwise WotC will keep billing you. And it reverts back to auto-renew whenever you renew it.