PDA

View Full Version : Winters Embrace = CL in Fort Saves?

Cowboy_ninja
2010-02-14, 01:40 AM
Hypothermia in Spell Compendium says your victim makes a fort save every round and the duration is your CL.

So say you are CL 15 does the victim have to make a fort save every round for 15 rounds whether or not he/she succeeds or fails the save?

Gorbash
2010-02-14, 01:46 AM
Hypothermia in Spell Compendium says your victim makes a fort save every round and the duration is your CL.

No, it doesn't. It says duration is instantaneous.

Cowboy_ninja
2010-02-14, 01:49 AM
No, it doesn't. It says duration is instantaneous.

SO SORRY! I meant Winter's Embrace. Same book.

Gorbash
2010-02-14, 02:16 AM
Then yeah, he makes the save every round. Successful save means he takes no damage and isn't fatigued. Two failed saves means he's fatigued, four means he's exhausted.

But it's a waste of a standard action at lvl 15.

Cowboy_ninja
2010-02-14, 02:22 AM
Then yeah, he makes the save every round. Successful save means he takes no damage and isn't fatigued. Two failed saves means he's fatigued, four means he's exhausted.

But it's a waste of a standard action at lvl 15.

but still.... 15 rounds of fort saves? The victim is bound to fail 4 eventually. Exhaustion is inevitable.

My main questions is if he succeeds on the fort save the 1st round, does he have to make anymore saves? does the effect stop? or does it keep going until the duration ends?

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-02-14, 02:27 AM
AFB right now, but if it's anything like Burning Blood or Call to Stone then it would continue

Btw those all stack nicely... 3 fort saves a turn for 15 turns is cool

Gorbash
2010-02-14, 02:29 AM
but still.... 15 rounds of fort saves? The victim is bound to fail 4 eventually. Exhaustion is inevitable.

Is he? Why? Let's assume that your Wisdom is, let's say 26. That's a +8 modifier, making it a DC 20. At CR 15+ most things will fail that save on a natural 1, meaning that they'll fail perhaps once over the course of 15 rounds and take 1d8 points of damage. I don't know how much you've played that character, but encounters in D&D 3.5 don't tend to last that long.

My main questions is if he succeeds on the fort save the 1st round, does he have to make anymore saves? does the effect stop? or does it keep going until the duration ends?

I already answered that. It keeps going.

Btw those all stack nicely... 3 fort saves a turn for 15 turns is cool

Call of Stone lasts for round/2 caster levels.

Cowboy_ninja
2010-02-14, 02:31 AM
... I don't know how much you've played that character, but encounters in D&D 3.5 don't tend to last that long.

Yea that's true....

Gorbash
2010-02-14, 02:43 AM
Yea that's true....

That's only part of the problem. The other one is, like I said, no one will fail four DC 20 fort saves on those levels.

But the most important thing is... You can do far better things with your actions.

absolmorph
2010-02-14, 02:48 AM
That's only part of the problem. The other one is, like I said, no one will fail four DC 20 fort saves on those levels.

But the most important thing is... You can do far better things with your actions.
Like cast Glitterdust. Or Entangle. Or Grease.

Sophismata
2010-02-14, 10:44 AM
Like cast Glitterdust. Or Entangle. Or Grease.

I like how two of those are level 1 spells.

lsfreak
2010-02-14, 11:49 AM
I like how two of those are level 1 spells.

Level one spells that effectively kill anyone in the area, instead of a spell that *might* inconvenience one guy after multiple rounds. Will saves for Glitterdust tend to be a lot lower for the guys that blindness really hurts, and Grease forces checks for a skill monsters don't often take.