PDA

View Full Version : How many music albums do you own?

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-14, 06:10 AM
Ok, that's it. How many music albums do you own and what are the most common styles in your collection?

Note that, according to the rules of this post, you must own physically the album, if you have single mp3 songs, it won't count you.

If you want to list the number of single songs you have in your ipod, your virtual albums within your computer, or whatever different list you want, for me it's ok, but count it separately please.

Here I go:

I own 157 albums, being the most common styles:

-Rock
-Blues
-Heavy Metal
-Classical
-Jazz

Whoracle
2010-02-14, 07:53 AM
Current count: 86 Albums.

Prevalent styles:
- (Game) Soundtracks
- Heavy Metal of various flavors, mainly (Melodic) Death Metal

Bhu
2010-02-14, 07:54 AM
I stopped counting after 250...

Totally Guy
2010-02-14, 08:17 AM
I have four.

Winterwind
2010-02-14, 08:20 AM
Approximately 160. Too lazy to count right now.

Prevalent styles would be all sorts of heavy metal (mostly just the more melodic sub-variants though), rock and classic.

Amiel
2010-02-14, 08:25 AM
I have an iPod! :smallbiggrin:

What can be found in my collection;
Orchestral
Soundtracks
Alternative
Rock
Pop
Electronica
CPop
JPop
KPop
Anime (music)
Classical

DraPrime
2010-02-14, 09:59 AM
I have 65 albums in total. 7 of them are vinyls. There's also a bunch of cds with classical music that I haven't counted up yet.

I have an iPod! :smallbiggrin:

That don't count :smalltongue:

RS14
2010-02-14, 12:03 PM
Ten or so. Mostly prog rock.

Jimp
2010-02-14, 12:57 PM
Physical albums, at least 80 that are well organised and about 40 more that are just 'around' the house.
Digital albums, at least 300 but I've stopped counting. There are 200 on my laptop at the moment and many more on my external hard drive so the absolute minimum is 300.
Prevalent Genres:
-Rock of all kinds (punk, indie, alternative, classic, modern, etc)
-Metal (mostly melodic, some heavy)
-Electronica (again all kinds, frigid, dubstep, so on so forth)

Related topic: do people with a lot of albums actually listen to all the songs on the album?
Personally I love listening to entire albums and cannot stand the '1 song by this band' music collections of some of my friends.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-14, 01:09 PM
Physical albums? Probably more than the ones in my iTunes, since most of them are vinyls and cassettes,

Winterwind
2010-02-14, 01:17 PM
Related topic: do people with a lot of albums actually listen to all the songs on the album?
Personally I love listening to entire albums and cannot stand the '1 song by this band' music collections of some of my friends.I usually feel that, if the band put those songs onto the album, in that order, they probably had some reason for doing that, so when I start to listen to an album, I always try to listen to the entirety of it. Besides, if I like one song on the album, I usually like them all anyway...

Faulty
2010-02-14, 01:27 PM
63. The vast majority is Metal, with some "Indie" type stuff mixed in.

Zocelot
2010-02-14, 01:51 PM
About 200 albums of metal + 100 albums of assorted other genres.

Edit: I have physical copies of about 25 albums

Sneak
2010-02-14, 02:08 PM
Around 300. Not all physical, mind you.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-14, 02:12 PM
Not many physical ones. The trouble is I tend to like one or two songs by a band or artist and like nothing else. Only rarely is buying an actual CD worth it.

skywalker
2010-02-14, 02:26 PM
I usually feel that, if the band put those songs onto the album, in that order, they probably had some reason for doing that, so when I start to listen to an album, I always try to listen to the entirety of it. Besides, if I like one song on the album, I usually like them all anyway...

I used to think this way, but then I realized that a lot of the time, an artist/group is really just looking for enough filler to fill up the space between the singles to make up a whole "album." Obviously, some bands intended you to listen to the "entire canvas."

A lot of my single songs are "classics": Carry On Wayward Son, More than a Feeling, Don't Stop Believing, Joy to the World (Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog), etc.

Anyway, I have about 130 albums on my shelf, and then a bunch more scattered across the dwelling. Too lazy to track them all down.

Most prevalent in my albums? 60s-70s rock, 90s alternative, classical, with a healthy smattering of hip-hop.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-14, 04:50 PM
Personally I love listening to entire albums and cannot stand the '1 song by this band' music collections of some of my friends.

Yes, I like to listen to whole albums. And I really hate "1 song from a band" collections...

wadledo
2010-02-14, 06:08 PM
I have 18, all classical and Frank Sinatra.
Oh wait, you didn't mean LP's, do you?

Crazy kids, with your diskettesess.

Eldpollard
2010-02-14, 06:13 PM
I have around 200-300 vinyl records in varying states of mediocrity that I was given, plus another 10 or so that I've deliberately bought. One of which is Nirvana's bleach on pink vinyl and another which is CAKE's The Distance on orange.
And I now have Bioshock's first soundtrack on vinyl (Bioshock 2 collectors' edition is delicious).
As for CD's I would hazard a complete guess as 260, the vast majority being physical as I like the tactile feel of a CD and booklets and such.
EDIT: I'd said 150 but WMP says 260 as I rip every album I buy.

Sneak
2010-02-14, 06:46 PM
I definitely subscribe to the "have to own the whole album, not just singles" mentality. I feel that music is released in album form for a reason—albums are designed as cohesive entities with an overarching tone and voice. You have to have the context of the song when you listen to it, and the album is there to provide that. Thus, I try to listen to every album all the way through when I first buy it.

(Although I currently haven't listened to all my albums, because I just got a bunch of new ones and haven't had the time to listen to them all yet. Oops.)

TSGames
2010-02-14, 06:55 PM
I have ~30 albums.... All physical CD's. Almost all rock/metal. Almost every Zeppelin Album.... I really only download one hit wonders....everything else I prefer to own the Album.

Flickerdart
2010-02-14, 07:11 PM
I bought an album for a friend once.

Lorn
2010-02-14, 07:32 PM
90 actual CD albums.

A number of these are 2-disc albums, one is a six-disc compilation.

Mostly metal/rock. Some EBM/industrial getting in. A few OSTs. Some other stuff.

The Extinguisher
2010-02-14, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure. I don't think I really want to count either.

The general themes tend to be punk, indie-pop and "stadium rock" as they say.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-02-15, 12:09 AM
77 Physical albums, probably another 30 in virtual format.

Then there's another dozen or so physical albums I'm throwing away cause I don't like the bands anymore (My old classic rock + hip hop stuff)

Only metal (and a couple of other good things) may remain :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2010-02-15, 02:03 AM
I have 18, all classical and Frank Sinatra.
Oh wait, you didn't mean LP's, do you?

Crazy kids, with your diskettesess.
I would buy LP's, if I could find a good record player. After all, I can get a metric butt load of music from second hand stores that way from an era of music I enjoy. But I can't, so I don't. :smallsigh:

Crispy Dave
2010-02-16, 01:26 AM
I own about 30 something albums about one per band I listen to. I "own" about 200 something.

If we get into old records and cassettes I have laying around we're going into around 500.

Erothayce
2010-02-16, 04:04 PM
Well physical around 30 or so. I can't seem to find a lot of them though.

On the digital front I currently have 824 albums on my computer. It's mostly punk mixed with all different kinds of stuff.

I like music a lot.

Linkavitch
2010-02-17, 01:10 PM
Forty or so. counting both the physical and digital.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-02-17, 02:36 PM
About 120.
Black metal prevailing with special mentions to Iron Maiden and Social Distortion making up large portions of non Black Metal.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-17, 03:17 PM
I stopped counting my music based on songs/albums, since so much of it is in mixtapes that friends have burned for me. The best way, I've found, is in total time. I have just over two weeks of music, in every style I can get my hands on. :smallbiggrin:

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-17, 07:25 PM
I have just over two weeks of music, in every style I can get my hands on. :smallbiggrin:

lol!! that's a good definition!! :smallamused:

So what do you usually listen to?

Thursday
2010-02-18, 03:37 PM

I HAVE to own the entire album, because having just one song annoys me (and the rest might be really good) but after that I proabably almost never listen to the whole thing all the way through ever again, I just don't have the attention span, I'm probably a one song by this band person at heart.. sorry! :smallredface:
The player is always set to random.

To answer Question, hmm ok Physically: Cd racks of er... 35, x 6 = 210. Plus a few lying about. On the computer 400 plus, -including those on the external hard drive I can't be bothered to plug in. Assuming some are duplicates, though they won't all be, oh I don't know about 350?

Mostly Rock, Electronica, American and Brit Folk.
Buying old computers off friends with music collections helps.

Aedilred
2010-02-18, 04:48 PM
I'm rather old-fashioned when it comes to music; I like having something tangible for my money (and this was the case even before the two massive HD failures that wiped out my digital music collection) and I like the album music for the most part- many bands' best songs, in my opinion, never get released as singles that you'll hear on the radio. (In fact, many bands' best songs never get released in true albums either- how many great B-sides did Oasis have?) You'll never experience some songs properly unless you hear them in an album context, either.

My music collection isn't here right now, and I don't have access to the digital version either, but I believe I have over 200 albums, probably close to the 250 mark. It comprises predominantly modern quasi-indie, Britpop, and a burgeoning quantity of rock (classic, opera, prog, glam) in addition to some blues, some rather incongruous dance and death metal, and some utter garbage just to top things off.