PDA

View Full Version : Is Serini's gate still up?

Snake-Aes
2010-02-14, 08:48 AM
I just realized here. It seems the villains do not know (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html) that Serini had one under her guard.

If this is the case, I suppose that will be the final one? Girard's doesn't look too promising, and we are still missing Kraagor's too.

Asta Kask
2010-02-14, 08:51 AM
Serini didn't. "Her" gate is the same as Kraagor's gate.

Ancalagon
2010-02-14, 08:54 AM
I just realized here. It seems the villains do not know (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html) that Serini had one under her guard.

I think you should re-read the Crayons of Time. There were only only five gates (Kraagor's Gate is actually Serini's Gate. Or vice versa. Kraagor died in making the gates and thus did not become Guardian of one).

Dr.Epic
2010-02-14, 11:53 AM

If this is the case, I suppose that will be the final one? Girard's doesn't look too promising, and we are still missing Kraagor's too.

Kraagor's Gate is Serini's gate. She named it after him because it's also his tomb and also because the gate is protected but tough melee monsters.

Cizak
2010-02-14, 11:54 AM
^
|
|
What they said

BRC
2010-02-14, 12:17 PM
What I wonder, is why Xykon and Co are going for Girard's Gate instead of Kraggors. I know why they went for the Azure City gate, but now that they are just teleporting around with a small group, Kraggors gate seems to be alot more suited to the resources they have at their disposal, namely Xykon. Xykon revels in a straight up fight. If he was given the choice between a series of puzzles and cunningly crafted illusions or some big monsters that needed blasting, I don't think he's think twice about it.

NerfTW
2010-02-14, 12:28 PM
Good question. His original reason was that they'd have to go through eight kingdoms to get to it. Teleporting solves that problem.

However, they do know that there will be a lot of monsters, and Xykon isn't stupid. Having minions has saved his skeletal butt more than once. He has no idea HOW strong those monsters are, and just the ones that moved into his tower almost beat him before. It's far safer to take the gate with illusions where he won't need an army than the one where he might be destroyed.

Confidence != stupid.

Ancalagon
2010-02-14, 12:48 PM
What I wonder, is why Xykon and Co are going for Girard's Gate instead of Kraggors.

Well, he has to go for ONE of the two remaining gates. There probably are good reasons for and against both choices.

Going for the Illusion-gate?
That's the easy choice. Why do you mean Xykon has "superb dispelling"?

Right now, he assumes two things, I'd say:
A) Redcloak will solve the puzzles anyway (haha, you did not assume Xykon plans on doing that himself? ;)).
B) If there's some magic effect, we'll take our time (days with attemps to dispell stuff)... and simply dispell it.

Also, Illusions become tricky once you know they are illusions. If you have strong reason to doubt them, they might simply vanish. Now, you KNOW you go to a gate protected by illusions - I think that's enough reason for a good doubt, no?

slayerx
2010-02-14, 12:49 PM
What I wonder, is why Xykon and Co are going for Girard's Gate instead of Kraggors. I know why they went for the Azure City gate, but now that they are just teleporting around with a small group, Kraggors gate seems to be alot more suited to the resources they have at their disposal, namely Xykon. Xykon revels in a straight up fight. If he was given the choice between a series of puzzles and cunningly crafted illusions or some big monsters that needed blasting, I don't think he's think twice about it.

I'd imagine Redcloak probably convinced him to go after girard's gate next
If they went after Kraggor's, i'm sure Xykon would want to take the entire hobgoblin army with him to continue being his minions, and that would completely undermine gobbotopia.

RC may have pointed out that the gate was guarded by monsters and it is very possible that they are of a very high CR or possibly even epic class monsters... with no knoweldge of what's guarding it, it could easily be the case that what's down there could be too strong for even Xykon. Getting by a bunch of illusions might seem like a cake walk by comparison... though without ships, they'll need to acquire new minions once they get to the west

Watcher
2010-02-14, 01:28 PM

Rule of Plot. The absolute climax HAS to happen in a frozen north area, World 1.0, or somewhere similar. It can't be in a desert somewhere. I mean, eww.

Ancalagon
2010-02-14, 03:06 PM
Rule of Plot. The absolute climax HAS to happen in a frozen north area, World 1.0, or somewhere similar. It can't be in a desert somewhere. I mean, eww.

What if the desert has some cool caves with lava and stuff? And someone has apparently not read DUNE. ;)

Gift Jeraff
2010-02-14, 03:19 PM
Well, a story that primarily take place in or significantly features/focuses on a desert setting can have a desert climax.

Anyways, as others have pointed out, there might be creatures in Kraagor's Gate that pose a threat to Xykon, and could also leave them vulnerable to protagonists. Also, think about Xykon's speech to Dorukan in SoD: as long as you have the right amount, force can overcome any kind of strategy. Girard's Gate presumably relies primarily on strategy (illusions, deceit, trickery), whereas Kraagor's Gate may contain force that overpowers Team Evil. Thus, Girard it is.

Ancalagon
2010-02-14, 03:49 PM
But I agree that Xykon SHOULD rather pick the gate with force and power. That is what he understands and likes and he REALLY should be interesting in an awesome battle.

And if he's a bit cautious (and flees out of sight), he does not have much to fear. Especially if he leaves his phylactery behind (with lots of security) while he and some minions (distractions) take on the dungeon.

Thinking of that: It might be the reason why that gate is reserved as climax. :)

NerfTW
2010-02-14, 03:54 PM
Again, Xykon knows he's strong, but he's not a moron. He's not going to go for the "Big fight" gate just because it's there. He's going to go for the easiest gate. It's a lot easier to hold a gate in a desert that is protected by illusions than it is to take on a dungeon full of monsters.

If you seriously think Xykon is so stupid as to go for the HARDER gate to take and hold, you clearly haven't been reading the same comic as the rest of us.

Ancalagon
2010-02-14, 04:15 PM
It's not about "stupid". I surely don't think that Xykon is that stupid. It's about Hollywood-Style and boredom, it's about overcoming a challenge to earn the right to brag. Xykon knows he's powerful and he's taking a bit too much pride in that to back down.

Also, I think that Xykon has learned his lesson with the Dragon that nearly killed him and with Soon. So he'll approach that fight in a smarter way than other fights he might have started in the past.

Of course Xykon thinks the Illusion-gate is the easier one (reasons given above, A and B). But I think the REAL reason that Xykon does not go there is really a plot-one in this case. "The most exciting gate comes last".

Barlen
2010-02-14, 04:56 PM
Hmmm...Why leave Kragors gate for last. Clearly its the most dramatic, but why?

:mitd: Dad??

or not =)

DukeGod
2010-02-14, 07:06 PM
do we know he is going to Girard's gate for sure?

Kish
2010-02-14, 07:08 PM
The Oracle said so.

That means "yes," should it be ambiguous. See: Die, Belkar going to.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-14, 07:27 PM
Not that it can't be that he flew over Girard's on the way to Kraagor's... but they do know the true coordinates, and can teleport anyway, so that's rather unlikely from a travelling perspective.

Math_Mage
2010-02-14, 08:33 PM
Not that it can't be that he flew over Girard's on the way to Kraagor's... but they do know the true coordinates, and can teleport anyway, so that's rather unlikely from a travelling perspective.

And they're in completely different directions, so one isn't 'on the way'.

Meta
2010-02-14, 11:23 PM
Xykon is much better equipped spell-wise to defeat a powerful spell-caster rather than a collection of monsters.

polipone
2010-02-15, 11:12 AM
Wait... what gate?

Asta Kask
2010-02-15, 11:26 AM
Wait... what gate?

Ok, that joke is officially getting stale. It is time for people to develop a new joke. (And I'm not directing this directly at Polipone, but at the whole board.)

Snake-Aes
2010-02-15, 11:35 AM
Ok, that joke is officially getting stale. It is time for people to develop a new joke. (And I'm not directing this directly at Polipone, but at the whole board.)

Do you really hope for people who fail a spot check with dc -35 to successfully observe good humor?

Asta Kask
2010-02-15, 12:38 PM
Do you really hope for people who fail a spot check with dc -35 to successfully observe good humor?

Hope springs eternal.

Ancalagon
2010-02-15, 02:58 PM

Actually, having been on this planet for quite some years, it seems like, given how many people fail their checks, "humour" has never an easy DC.

Yeoman
2010-02-16, 01:22 PM
Think about it this way, unknown powerful monsters with no hero is residence, or prove he's "better" than a likely epic level probably trained spell caster.

Xykon loves humiliating good guys, and loves humiliating trained spell casters even more. Girard's Gate allows him to do this, if only indirectly. Possibly directly if Girard is still alive.

Irbis
2010-02-16, 01:32 PM

This.

At times I wish that strip was never made.