PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Non-magical equipment for Epic Fighter (3.5)

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-14, 12:54 PM
Let's try this idea:
So we have a VERY stubborn fighter, who disdains magic. Maybe he is allergic to it or has phobia or whatever... By some quirk of fate he has become 21st level fighter and has 975.000 gp's.

So what to buy him? Let's say that we can only buy adventuring gear and it has to be sensible AND practical.

I'll start:
Adamantium Full Plate (Core) 16.500 gp
Abyssal Bloodiron melee weapon (Planar Handbook) 12.000
Black Lotus Extract, 20 doses (Core) 90.000 gp
Heavy warhorse (Core) 400 gp
Heavy Adamantium horse barding (Core) 66.000
Masterwork darkwood composite longbow (+5 str, Core) 930 gp

Edit: Slight miscalculation

Johel
2010-02-14, 01:02 PM
Masterwork Great sword
Kilt

"-COOOOOOOOOOOKIE !!!" :smallfurious:

Lysander
2010-02-14, 01:16 PM
A fleet of sailing ships (10,000gp each), plus masterwork weapons and armor for the high level hirelings manning them.

Boci
2010-02-14, 01:19 PM
Grafts. Lots of them.

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-14, 01:29 PM
Grafts. Lots of them.

In this case fighter would reject them for being "too magical"... They are pretty out of ordinary, no? :)

Curmudgeon
2010-02-14, 01:37 PM
Your Fighter can do much better for nonmagical armor, with very heavy armor: mountain plate. Normally this would weigh 450 lbs. for Large size (and if your Fighter isn't Large, then why the heck not?), but this spiffed-up armor is anything but normal:
Mountain plate (Races of Stone, pages 157-158), even when reduced a weight category by lighter materials, remains heavy armor.
Glassteel (Races of Faerūn, page 158) construction, for ½ weight, a nonmagical +3 armor enhancement, +2 to Maximum DEX Bonus (MDB), and +3 improvement in Armor Check Penalty (ACP)
Pitspawned template (Dungeon Master's Guide II, page 278) for +1 damage to any successful melee attacker
Segmented template (Dragon # 358, pages 42-43) for +1 to MDB
Reinforced template (Dragon # 358, page 42) for +1 armor bonus, but +10% weight
Lightweight template (Dragon # 358, page 42) for 20% weight reduction
Ornate template (Dragon # 358, page 42) for +2 circumstance bonus to Intimidate checks
Ysgardian Heartwire (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 38) added to boost AC by +2 solely to confirm critical hits
The cost of this +3 armor is considerable: 65,300 gp. But that's not the only cost, because this armor also requires three feats:
Exotic Armor Proficiency (mountain plate) (Races of Stone, page 139)
Heavy Armor Optimization (Races of Stone, page 141)
Greater Heavy Armor Optimization (Races of Stone, page 141)

The combination of these adds +2 to the armor bonus, and reduces the ACP by 3 points. A further transient reduction in ACP is possible; Armor Lubricant (Races of Faerūn, page 158) alleviates 1 point of this for 1d4 hours. This armor would normally cause a -3 Armor Check Penalty (ACP) to the following skills:
Balance
Climb
Escape Artist
Hide
Jump
Move Silently
Sleight of Hand
Tumble
With the Lubricant the ACP is -2. Still undesirable, but since mountain plate starts at -9 ACP this is a considerable improvement.

Anyway, there you go: +16 armor bonus, with MDB of +3.

Adumbration
2010-02-14, 01:40 PM
I would also recommend having a caravan of wagons with every single weapon and material in the game world. You can afford it, and who knows when you may need some obscure weapon to overcome DR.

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 01:44 PM
I would also recommend having a caravan of wagons with every single weapon and material in the game world. You can afford it, and who knows when you may need some obscure weapon to overcome DR.

Except, you know, DR/magic.

Boci
2010-02-14, 01:53 PM
In this case fighter would reject them for being "too magical"... They are pretty out of ordinary, no? :)

An epic level fighter is also "pretty out of the ordinary" so he would reject himself as well. (Let's not touch on the adamantine and the abyssal bloodiron). I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Ex grafts, so they are non-magical equipment.

Eldariel
2010-02-14, 02:06 PM
Except, you know, DR/magic.

Actually, I think Blue Ice weapons can penetrate DR/Magic without being magical. Serrenwood certainly is Ghost Touch anyways so that's covered.

AstralFire
2010-02-14, 02:15 PM
Lots and lots of human shields.

The Glyphstone
2010-02-14, 02:23 PM
Hire an army of wizards? if they're not buffed, the Wizards themselves technically are non-magical...

Harperfan7
2010-02-14, 02:31 PM
That was 3.0 glassteel, when adamantine just gave your armor an enhancement bonus. In 3.5, it gives you DR. So a 3.5 glassteel armor suit would be as light and flexible as mithril, but with adamantine DR.

You know, I would just buy the most badass aerial combat mount available, deck it in the best armor I can afford, with nasty armor spikes and all. Go ahead and poison those armor spikes.

Then do the same with some warbeast dire ligers (or megaraptors, whatever).

What about alchemy?

Smokepowerder bombs or firearms?

Lysander
2010-02-14, 02:54 PM
Another question: is he also against magical beasts? Because if he isn't, why not give him a pegasus steed?

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-14, 03:27 PM
Another question: is he also against magical beasts? Because if he isn't, why not give him a pegasus steed?

I think that would violate the idea.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-14, 03:30 PM
Leadership with a Lantan Artificer (the Prc found in Magic of Faerun, NOT the base class found in Eberron) cohort. It makes machines, like flame throwers and jet packs and such.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-14, 03:33 PM
I think that would violate the idea.

Is there slavery in your setting? If not, there's not much that he could buy, except for a lot of alchemical items (although those could also be too 'magical').

If there is, he could buy an army of level x human [class]. It would be interesting to see the look on your DM's face when you ask him/her "How much does a level ten bard cost? We need a drummer."

Draz74
2010-02-14, 08:12 PM
On the "cheap filler" end, there are great little trinkets in Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, and especially Dungeonscape that make it much easier to apply poisons or alchemical oils to your weapon mid-combat.

And a bunch of doses of Trollbane (Dungeonscape) is always a good idea.

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-02-14, 08:18 PM
So... Vow of Poverty looking real nice right about now?

First use that money to buy an arbitrarily high number of NPCs with bows and organize them into volleys from Heroes of Battle and then grab Vow of Poverty

Boci
2010-02-14, 08:20 PM
Vow of Poverty

I'm guessing that is going to be far too magical.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-14, 08:23 PM
Convince yourself Tomes aren't magical: Read all 6 of them for +5 to all stats.

Use the rest of your money for Chickens. Use them like a pokemon match: push them into little balled devices and throw the devices to battle.

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-02-14, 08:27 PM
Perhaps build a huge castle so you don't have to walk to the bar to find an adventure?

Plus, as a bonus, dig deep enough and BOOM demons to slay, they'll start haunting it and then it all goes dow

Runestar
2010-02-14, 08:35 PM
Go dragonborn (or pick up the dragontouched trait somehow) and pick up that armour variant in dragon magic? You get +12AC and minor elemental resistances.

What other variants are there which allow him to simulate magic gear?

Else, can you rebuild as a warblade? I think they are less eq-dependent.

Lapak
2010-02-14, 08:49 PM
Hiring an army to fight FOR him is almost certainly the strongest answer mechanically. I'm not sure how much more I can suggest that hasn't already been covered. I suppose soulmelds are also 'too magical', unless drawing on his own spiritual energy is okay?