PDA

View Full Version : Legion of Sentinels

quiet1mi
2010-02-14, 01:52 PM
I was wondering how the spell, "Legion of Sentinels" works...

[-][-][-][-][-]
[-][-][-][-][-]
[-][-][-][-][-]
[-][-][-][-][-]
[-][-][-][-][-]

I know that it has the above area, but can it make an attack of opportunity more than once in any given round?

For example:

If a monster ran straight through the center of the field, he would take, 15 attacks of opportunity from the ethereal swordsman (Bypassing AC bonuses that are not force, deflection, dodge, luck, etc...)

But if a second monster ran through the center of the field, would he be fine as the swordsman already used up their AOO?

Do not get me wrong, having a single opponent take 10d8+40 (level 12) for casting a spell is quite strong and can kill spellcasters that are not prepared...

GreyVulpine
2010-02-14, 06:29 PM
Firstly, the Legion of Sentinels has a 10-foot radius, so they're actually:

[-][x][x][-]
[x][x][x][x]
[x][x][x][x]
[-][x][x][-]

and if somebody ran through from one side to the other (in one round), I count 10 attacks of opportunity. The spell specifically states that the sentinels only do one AoO per round. If say, you also cast a movement-restricting spell like solid fog, then the enemy is forced to only do 5-foot movement, increasing the number of rounds they're in the LoS.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-14, 06:48 PM
Firstly, the Legion of Sentinels has a 10-foot radius, so they're actually:

[-][x][x][-]
[x][x][x][x]
[x][x][x][x]
[-][x][x][-]

and if somebody ran through from one side to the other (in one round), I count 10 attacks of opportunity. The spell specifically states that the sentinels only do one AoO per round. If say, you also cast a movement-restricting spell like solid fog, then the enemy is forced to only do 5-foot movement, increasing the number of rounds they're in the LoS.

You're forgetting the 20 spaces full of soldiers above and below the center space. If the target is airborn, that's 30 AoOs for a single Move action. If not, 20. Still, 20d8+(5/3CLs) is retarded for a 3rd level spell slot. It's literally one of the most powerful DD spells in the game. SR Yes though, so take Arcane Mastery (CARc, take 10 on CL checks to overcome SR).

Gorbash
2010-02-14, 08:46 PM
It's literally one of the most powerful DD spells in the game

I completely agree. If you're using it against braindead monkeys. Why would someone charge/move through an area occupied by 30 ghostly warriors? :smallsigh:

Boci
2010-02-14, 08:50 PM
I completely agree. If you're using it against braindead monkeys. Why would someone charge/move through an area occupied by 30 ghostly warriors? :smallsigh:

Because they won't know its exact effect. All they know it that something bad will happen. They may take a gamble that it will be worth it to get to the caster on the other side.

Thurbane
2010-02-14, 09:32 PM
A good AC, miss chance or SR is decent defense again LoS.

Gorbash
2010-02-14, 10:27 PM
Because they won't know its exact effect. All they know it that something bad will happen. They may take a gamble that it will be worth it to get to the caster on the other side.

You're standing in front "a phalanx of spectral swordfighters. Their blades are drawn, and they stand ready to strike" (as per description of the spell) and you don't know what will happen if you run into them? :smallconfused:

Boci
2010-02-14, 10:30 PM
You're standing in front "a phalanx of spectral swordfighters. Their blades are drawn, and they stand ready to strike" (as per description of the spell) and you don't know what will happen if you run into them? :smallconfused:

No, why should I? I reguarly reflavour the cosmetic appearance of spells.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-02-14, 10:57 PM
You go through the LoS because the enemy beatstick pushes you through it, obviously.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 12:51 AM
You go through the LoS because the enemy beatstick pushes you through it, obviously.

Exactly. You center it on the enemy, then force them to provoke an AoO. A Chain Tripper or Bigby's Hand spell works nicely, especially if the Chain Tripper has Mage Slayer to interupt their Teleport effect.