PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]The Death Delver

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-14, 03:02 PM
The Death Delver is an odd prestige class from Heroes of Horror. It has a dash of divine spellcasting, can rebuke undead, and gains several immunities and resistances, including the ability to use Death Ward several times a day.

It's a pretty crappy prestige class for the most part; the fluff is sort of interesting, but the mechanics are uninspired.

However, the capstone ability bestows upon the character nine extra lives. This is a pretty unique thing...

I wonder, what sort of shenanigans could you get into with nine extra lives?

Is it really worth the effort? It seems seeking everlasting life, or unlife, would be a better use of one's time than getting nine extra lives.

I could see this class being sort of useful for really paranoid gestalt characters, but still...

Anyone have any experience with them? Opinions? Cookie recipes?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-14, 03:08 PM
There's a Ring with the same effect in the MiC. Expensive (like 49K), but better than wasting 10 levels.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-14, 03:46 PM
7th level's auto make Fort saves from Coup de Grace is pretty nifty. Also auto make death from massive damage saves (which is issue at high levels).

Does the ring revive you without a level loss (I lack book)?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-14, 05:17 PM
7th level's auto make Fort saves from Coup de Grace is pretty nifty. Also auto make death from massive damage saves (which is issue at high levels).

Does the ring revive you without a level loss (I lack book)?

It prevents the death outright. You end up at -1, without actually being killed. At least, IIRC. I know it stops the dying part completely.

Thurbane
2010-02-14, 05:18 PM
While not the most powerful of PrCs, I really like the Death Delver, flavor wise.

Since it does not advance casting, or have full BAB, or good skill points, it doesn't do much to advance any base class, though...

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-14, 05:30 PM
Though if you ask me, the Death Delver automatically gets cool points because of SilverClawShift's vestiges campaign...

Boci
2010-02-14, 05:34 PM
While not the most powerful of PrCs, I really like the Death Delver, flavor wise.

Almost any class could be reflavoured as a death delver. Factotum, warrior, spell caster.

Swok
2010-02-14, 06:19 PM
Though if you ask me, the Death Delver automatically gets cool points because of SilverClawShift's vestiges campaign...

And then mostly when you never use any of the extra lives :smalltongue:

JoshuaZ
2010-02-14, 06:20 PM

Hmm? Not sure what you are talking about. Link?

Swok
2010-02-14, 06:23 PM
Hmm? Not sure what you are talking about. Link?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836

Raiki
2010-02-14, 07:06 PM
Strictly for the record, JoshuaZ, I hope you're ready to lose the next 12 hours of your life. But welcome to the SCS fanclub. Your entrance essay must be handed in, in triplicate, by midnight tomorrow.

~R~

Thurbane
2010-02-14, 07:15 PM
Almost any class could be reflavoured as a death delver. Factotum, warrior, spell caster.
Well, yes, anything can be re-flavored as anything basically.

But I like the Death Delver's fluff text, and most of the crunch that supports it. It's just unfortunate that the crunch doesn't really dovetail well with many (any?) base classes. Might be OK in a melee build, if you can afford to lose 3 BAB. I once worked up a Binder/DD build that wasn't totally horrible, although it only ever gets to bind 2 vestiges. And the MAD isn't the best... :smallfrown:

Boci
2010-02-14, 07:20 PM
Well, yes, anything can be re-flavored as anything basically.

Yeah, but the flavour of the DD is especially easy to replicate. Come to think of it it could make a good new vestige.

Akal Saris
2010-02-14, 07:26 PM
Man, that is a sweet DM they have there.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-14, 10:46 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836

Dammit. I've got work to do.

Edit: Ok. That was awesome. Now back to work.