PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ways for a non-caster to enchant weapons?

Pluto
2010-02-14, 06:51 PM
Hi Everybody.

I'm going to be playing a Human CE Rogue/Barbarian (going into Thief Acrobat) in a game that starts tomorrow.

One problem I'm having is that one aspect of the character would be very elegantly supported if he could enhance a pair of gauntlets by his own power.

Normally, for a non-caster, that would mean Ancestral Relic, Kensai or a Samurai dip, but the alignment restrictions are coming up to bite me on those.
I talked to the DM about waiving Ancestral Relic's regs, but apparently he doesn't want to set a precedent.
(Assassins' alignments are something of a point of contention in this group.)

Item Familiar is off the table.
CE and Human cannot be changed.

So is there a way for this character to enhance weapons on his own?
(Even if spells have to come from elsewhere?)

I'd like to be able to make this happen by 7th level.
I can use all WotC sources except Dragon magazine and setting-specific materials (Dragonlance, Eberron, Forgotton Realms, et al.; Sandstorm and its ilk are options).
Pathfinder material may also be fair game.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-14, 06:56 PM
Found a Legacy? A customized item tends to be very powerful.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-14, 07:02 PM
DMG2 has some rituals. You need to fulfill some prereqs, though. Eating at the moment, else I'd give you the page.

Soranar
2010-02-14, 07:03 PM
There aren't many ways to go about this.

Only way I know would be to take 3 levels of stoneblessed (dwarf) and then switch to battlesmith.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-14, 07:09 PM
Found it; Bonding Rituals, starting on page 232 of the Dungeon Master's Guide II.

Glimbur
2010-02-14, 07:23 PM
You don't have the levels free to take Ironsoul Forgemaster, a PrC from Magic of Incarnum which lets you make magic items without being a caster (you are a meldshaper though).

Pluto
2010-02-14, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I actually played a Forgemaster/Battlesmith not too long ago. It was a good time.

Found a Legacy? A customized item tends to be very powerful.
Good one! I keep forgetting that book exists.

Found it; Bonding Rituals, starting on page 232 of the Dungeon Master's Guide II.
Those are neat. I'll run them by my DM. With a bit of tweaking they should be just what I'm after.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-14, 07:40 PM
Normally, for a non-caster, that would mean Ancestral Relic, Kensai or a Samurai dip, but the alignment restrictions are coming up to bite me on those.
I talked to the DM about waiving Ancestral Relic's regs, but apparently he doesn't want to set a precedent.
(Assassins' alignments are something of a point of contention in this group.)

Assassin has been adapted to not be evil:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a

Pluto
2010-02-14, 07:56 PM
That article is where the spit really starts to fly.

olentu
2010-02-14, 08:19 PM
That article is where the spit really starts to fly.

Well hopefully they never find the slayer of domiel class or whatever that one is that is basically an exalted assassin.

Thurbane
2010-02-14, 08:38 PM
Isn't that generally regarded as an April Fool's article?

...but yeah, Slayer of Domiel. Heck, even Dark Hunter gets Death Attack.