PDA

View Full Version : How to get a motorcycle in D&D 3.5?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-14, 11:35 PM
Okay, despite the ridiculousness of my request This isn't meant to be cheese. I'm trying to make a character from an old show I used to watch and he usually uses a motorcycle. (he also has a plane but I don't think that's quite so easy to get)

Is there a class that would allow me to build a motorcycle? Or alternatively how much would one cost?

valadil
2010-02-14, 11:40 PM
I don't think a motorcycle exists in D&D in any form. This one will be entirely up to GM fiat.

Chrono22
2010-02-14, 11:41 PM
It would cost 15, 780 gp to have a spellcaster to permanently animate a motorcycle for you. As for the motocycle body itself... I'd estimate it's at least 500 gp due to nonstandard materials and construction.

Alternatively, lookup the clockwork steed (monster manual 4) and refluff it. This second method is far less expensive and just as effective.

Re-fluffed Clockwork Steed?

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3402/ninja7b.jpg

Ravens_cry
2010-02-14, 11:43 PM
Or just get an effigy of a male wild boar.:smalltongue:

Thurbane
2010-02-14, 11:51 PM
Re-fluffed Clockwork Steed?

Harperfan7
2010-02-14, 11:51 PM
DM: "Okay, roll your open lock check"
Player 1: "I got a 61, er, wait, 19."
Player 2: "heh"
Player 1: "What would a 61 be like? I stick my pick in the lock and it instantly clicks open? Haha"
Player 2: ...
DM: "A 61 would be doing a wheely backwards on a motorcycle going 120mph, throwing the pick into the lock as you go by and it opening."
Player 1: "Where did I get a motorcycle?"
Player 2: "You stole it from the future."

Mystic Muse
2010-02-15, 12:02 AM
clockwork steed should work well.

Would it be possible for the clockwork steed to count as a Paladin's holy mount?

Boci
2010-02-15, 12:03 AM
Step one: Acquire 2 Roving Maulers.
Step two: Make them custom mithril breastplates.
Step three: Connect them together without ristricting their ability to move

You get the idea.

Chrono22
2010-02-15, 12:04 AM
(preface DM's ruling)
There are rules that allow paladins to acquire nonstandard mounts. A clockwork steed is a creature, so I don't see why it could not become a paladin's mount.

Croverus
Compare its CR to another possible paladin's steed and then leave it up to your DM.

Though, it is a construct so I think that disqualifies it, unless you change it tot he living construct type.

Mystic Muse

You get the idea.

aren't roving maulers those weird lion things with only heads and legs no bodies that transport themselves as if they were tumbleweeds?

JaronK
2010-02-15, 12:07 AM
Haunt Shift a porpoise skeleton into a motorcycle body? That would basically do it.

JaronK

Boci
2010-02-15, 12:08 AM
aren't roving maulers those weird lion things with only heads and legs no bodies that transport themselves as if they were tumbleweeds?

Yes, yes they are. Their are from Tome of Magic.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-15, 12:08 AM
how do you get living construct?

Grumman
2010-02-15, 12:25 AM
Even better: Clockwork Steed with the Rollers Maug graft. That way it's faster, but not as good at climbing, riding and swimming. It also lets you run people over.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-15, 12:27 AM
aren't grafts evil? This guy is good.

and may be a Paladin. I'm not entirely sure about that yet though.

and what is living construct from and how would I get it?

Lysander
2010-02-15, 12:47 AM
Why not homebrew a flawed Broom of Flying that can't go higher than four feet off the ground and creates a loud rumbling noise when in use. Attach handlebars, rear view mirrors, and you're set.

Grumman
2010-02-15, 01:00 AM
aren't grafts evil? This guy is good.
Only some are.

Grafting bits of demons onto your body? Evil.

Grafting construct upgrades onto a construct? Not evil.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 01:05 AM
Compare its CR to another possible paladin's steed and then leave it up to your DM.

Though, it is a construct so I think that disqualifies it, unless you change it tot he living construct type.

Apply Soulfused Construct (MoI). Auto-Living Construct.

Kislath
2010-02-15, 10:37 AM
Long ago Dragon Magazine ran an article on some new spells. One of those spells was called "Spell Engine."

This spell called into being a round stone wheel which remained permanently.

The real intended use of this was as a major league spell absorber for big battles. You see, whenever a spell was hurled in it's general direction, the wheel would absorb it. The energy from these absorbed spells would be dissipated as movement, for the wheel would start to spin. More energy would result in more speed. This was handy for keeping enemy casters from letting you have it with magic.

However, the wheel could be harnessed as any other, and could be used to grind things or perform other simple machinations.

Anyway, by attaching an axle to such a wheel and having a gnome construct a gearbox and framework for it, a Spell Engine can be easily fashioned into a motorcycle. Using the wheel as a tire is very simple, but the thing would have no speed control and the bike impossible to ride. Using the wheel as an engine, however, with a gearbox attached to a back tire, would allow the rider to control his speed. After that, just cast a few small spells and you'd be off and running for a little while. The duration and speed of the spinning went by level of spells absorbed, but I don't remember the details.

Swooper
2010-02-15, 11:50 AM
Phantom Steed. Fluff it as a motorcycle.

Thurbane
2010-02-15, 07:19 PM
As well as clockwork steed, there's also another type of mechanical mount in Heroes of battle...name escapes me at the moment.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-15, 07:27 PM
thank you everyone you have helped me bring one of my favorite childhood characters to D&D

I'd tell you who it is but I suspect a lot of you would facepalm.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-15, 07:33 PM
Even better: Clockwork Steed with the Rollers Maug graft. That way it's faster, but not as good at climbing, riding and swimming. It also lets you run people over.

I like this idea. Where can I find that graft?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-15, 07:41 PM

Please tell us, I promise to avoid facepalms

Mystic Muse
2010-02-15, 07:43 PM
Okay fine.

Darkwing duck.

*runs*

drengnikrafe
2010-02-15, 07:44 PM
thank you everyone you have helped me bring one of my favorite childhood characters to D&D

Hey, I legally qualify as an adult and watch Disney Channel more than I do... anything else. There's nothing you can say that would make me facepalm.

EDIT: That statement is full of win. Darkwing Duck is amazing!

Yrcrazypa
2010-02-15, 07:45 PM

You get the idea.

I was laughing for a good five minutes after this, thank you for that.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-15, 07:47 PM
Okay fine.

Darkwing duck.

*runs*

I demand a posting of the build! :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-02-15, 07:50 PM
Darkwing duck.

100% pure awesomesauce.

Hmmm... Factotum with maybe some Vigilante?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-15, 07:54 PM
I demand a posting of the build! :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

well, I figure he's mostly a Paladin being a superhero and all. He also has a high intelligence but low wisdom. (he thinks things out but doesn't really pay attention to the consqeunces) However I think he builds his own stuff so maybe a few levels of Artificer? Oh yeah, he's definitely a Kenku unless there's another anthropomorphic bird race somewhere that fits better. He definitely has the leadership feat (due to the fact Gosalyn and Launchpad follow him everywhere) I think he has a fair amount of strength and a high charisma and dexterity. He probably has a custom cloak of charisma (His cape) and I bet his awesome hat gives him some sort of bonus as well. I think the mask grants him darkvision. He definitely has good ranks in ride. he's probably a Paladin of freedom 5 (so that he could get the mount) and then decided to multiclass.

However I don't know what kind of pointbuy he'd have or much else besides what I've said so far.

I'm up for suggestions since I'll need some. I don't know if Paladin would even necesarrily fit.

absolmorph
2010-02-16, 01:42 AM
Long ago Dragon Magazine ran an article on some new spells. One of those spells was called "Spell Engine."

This spell called into being a round stone wheel which remained permanently.

The real intended use of this was as a major league spell absorber for big battles. You see, whenever a spell was hurled in it's general direction, the wheel would absorb it. The energy from these absorbed spells would be dissipated as movement, for the wheel would start to spin. More energy would result in more speed. This was handy for keeping enemy casters from letting you have it with magic.

However, the wheel could be harnessed as any other, and could be used to grind things or perform other simple machinations.

Anyway, by attaching an axle to such a wheel and having a gnome construct a gearbox and framework for it, a Spell Engine can be easily fashioned into a motorcycle. Using the wheel as a tire is very simple, but the thing would have no speed control and the bike impossible to ride. Using the wheel as an engine, however, with a gearbox attached to a back tire, would allow the rider to control his speed. After that, just cast a few small spells and you'd be off and running for a little while. The duration and speed of the spinning went by level of spells absorbed, but I don't remember the details.
With a 0th, 1st and 2nd level spell (infinite charges, use activated) in the gearbox, the price is roughly 15500 gp.
What I came up with:

Gearbox
Casts Resistance, True Strike or See Invisibility on a wheel attached to the axle the gearbox is on.
The gearbox has a second part that is used to determine the spell used; it's simply a round metal wheel, set on a handle, with a 1, 2 and 3 inscribed on it. When set to 1, the gearbox casts Ghost Sound. When set to 2, it casts True Strike. When set to 3, it casts See Invisibility. To cast the spell, the user twists their hand while gripping the handle.

Come up with brakes and you're set.

Of course, if Kyuubi is using paladin, the re-fluffed Clockwork Steed is probably more fitting.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-16, 01:45 AM
So if I do a Darkwing duck build (the success of which is debatable.) Should I plan it out from level 1-20?

Grumman
2010-02-16, 03:13 AM
I like this idea. Where can I find that graft?
At the back of the Fiend Folio.