PDA

View Full Version : What to do with five levels and a high charisma

Admiral Squish
2010-02-15, 07:19 AM
Here's my issue. I'm about to join a game starting at level 12. I have a concept that centers around a changeling Cabinet Trickster/Mindspy. So what I need now is something to do with those first five levels that would capitalize on my charisma effectively and lets me actually affect combat at the same time. charisma has to be maxed to pump the static DC of Detect thoughts and Caster doesn't work 'cause my spell selection is gimped. Skillmonkey would be only vaguely workable, since those two PrCs only have 4+int/level. Melee... Well, she'll be kinda fragile. Can the playground help me?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-02-15, 07:23 AM
This may be completely off the radar, but, Wilder (3.5 Expanded Psionic Handbook) seems to be a good bet. They get access to some of the telepath powers, and since you are starting at 12, you can use the Expanded Knowledge feat to get the higher power powers. CHA is your best friend as a wilder. It helps everything, except melee combat, which as a Wilder, you can blast the bejeezus out of pretty much anything. Also, the social combat skills are all class skills; the only thing you may have an issue with is skill points, they only get a 2+int per level. Your 2nd stat should be INT for your build, followed closely by DEX.

AstralFire
2010-02-15, 07:39 AM
Practiced Manifester would also let you keep up your wilder level so that at high levels, if nothing else, once per day you can deliver a powerful ranged blast at the cost of all your PP.

Brendan
2010-02-15, 07:40 AM
I think that is enough for a diplomancer, and that could be powerful.

Jack_Simth
2010-02-15, 07:55 AM
Practiced Manifester would also let you keep up your wilder level so that at high levels, if nothing else, once per day you can deliver a powerful ranged blast at the cost of all your PP.

Actually, with the way Wild Surge and bonus power points are worded, that'd be a lot more than once/day.

Optimystik
2010-02-15, 08:08 AM
Skillmonkey would be only vaguely workable, since those two PrCs only have 4+int/level. Melee... Well, she'll be kinda fragile. Can the playground help me?

Actually, Cabinet Trickster gets 6+Int skills. But Mindspy only gets 2+Int.

Your combination seems to work best martially, despite your poor HD from CT. You can gain Cha to AC against 4 opponents, and Mindspy gets full BAB while CT gets 3/4.

I think you should go with a Crusader - your PrCs will continue to advance your initiator level to a small degree, plus you get plenty of hitpoints and full BAB.

Darrin
2010-02-15, 08:48 AM
Here's my issue. I'm about to join a game starting at level 12. I have a concept that centers around a changeling Cabinet Trickster/Mindspy. So what I need now is something to do with those first five levels that would capitalize on my charisma effectively and lets me actually affect combat at the same time. charisma has to be maxed to pump the static DC of Detect thoughts and Caster doesn't work 'cause my spell selection is gimped. Skillmonkey would be only vaguely workable, since those two PrCs only have 4+int/level. Melee... Well, she'll be kinda fragile. Can the playground help me?

Hexblade. Full BAB, d10 hit die, Arcane Resistance, Mettle, a somewhat more robust familiar (or the Dark Companion debuff ACF), and some useful Charisma-based utility spells.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-15, 08:59 AM
Truenamer.

No, just kidding, truenaming is crap and even more crap if you don't stick to it.

Warlock sounds like a decent choice.

Admiral Squish
2010-02-15, 09:19 AM
Hexblade. Full BAB, d10 hit die, Arcane Resistance, Mettle, a somewhat more robust familiar (or the Dark Companion debuff ACF), and some useful Charisma-based utility spells.

Actually, I really like this one. The hexblade curse/dark companion helps penetrate the mental defenses of anyone with a high will save, I can still fight, and arcane resistance, too! The spells really aren't all that useful, but charm person 2/day wouldn't be too bad.

Optimystik
2010-02-15, 09:24 AM
Battle Dancer is another great choice - Cha to AC twice (the second comes from Anticipation), +10 move speed, and Perform (Dance) as a class skill to make use of your Charisma.

Admiral Squish
2010-02-15, 09:26 AM
Battle Dancer is another great choice - Cha to AC twice (the second comes from Anticipation), +10 move speed, and Perform (Dance) as a class skill to make use of your Charisma.

Oooh, which book is that one in?

Optimystik
2010-02-15, 09:29 AM
Oooh, which book is that one in?

Dragon Compendium

Admiral Squish
2010-02-15, 09:31 AM
Dragon Compendium

Maaaaan, I dun' got that one...

Xenogears
2010-02-15, 09:34 AM
Marshal 1 to get your Cha to Dex based skill checks and Initiative for you and all allies in 60 ft? You could also pick one of the other auras but thats my favorite.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-02-15, 09:50 AM
May i sugest 1 spell theif 4 hexblade.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 09:57 AM
Actually, I really like this one. The hexblade curse/dark companion helps penetrate the mental defenses of anyone with a high will save, I can still fight, and arcane resistance, too! The spells really aren't all that useful, but charm person 2/day wouldn't be too bad.

Make sure to get a DM's ruling on your Familiar progression. If it's special abilities progress at half-rate like your spellcasting ability (which is a pure House Rule), trade it out for a Dark Companion (PH2). If the DM rules that it's abilities are based on your class levels (which is RAW), the familiar gets Share Spells (making UMD your best friend).

Darrin
2010-02-15, 10:16 AM

Hexblades have some pretty decent 1st level utility spells.

Alarm: gets you into Abjurant Champion.
Charm Person: one of the fundamental tools in the social engineering toolkit.
Identify: suck up the rest of your party's loose change in 100 GP increments.
Mount: trapfinder for 2 hours/level
Prestidigitation: hundreds if not thousands of uses.
Sleep: mook-killer.
Tasha's Hideous Laughter: Save-or-lose, targets weak will saves.
Unseen Servant: among other things (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7865438&postcount=11), extra actions every round.

Ugh. Spell support for Hexblades is awful. Looks like Complete Mage added some swift action spells, though... so you can add a Wand Chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) and a wand to your weapon and activate the following spells in the same round you attack:

Bloodletting (Hex 1, swift action)
Catsfeet (Hex 1, immediate action)
Karmic Aura (Hex 1, swift action)
Karmic Backlash (Hex 2, swift action)
Karmic Retribution (Hex 4, swift action)
Reaving Aura (Hex 1, swift action)

Bloodletting is probably the only one worth it... 850 GP to do an extra 1d6 damage over 3 rounds.

Admiral Squish
2010-02-15, 10:29 AM
Hmmm... Generally speaking, I ignore UMD 'cause there's no guarantee to find the spells I want in a wand in town. Dark companion would probably be more efficient anyways, that -2 to saves does help me pick people's brains. Though both of them raise issues when it comes to social situations.

As for the swift action spells, I should be using all my swift actions to perform thought tricks. Nothing says 'screw you' like a swift action 1-round stun followed with a full attack.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 10:33 AM
Hmmm... Generally speaking, I ignore UMD 'cause there's no guarantee to find the spells I want in a wand in town. Dark companion would probably be more efficient anyways, that -2 to saves does help me pick people's brains. Though both of them raise issues when it comes to social situations.

As for the swift action spells, I should be using all my swift actions to perform thought tricks. Nothing says 'screw you' like a swift action 1-round stun followed with a full attack.

Have the little guy act as your Shadow. No one will notice.

Darrin
2010-02-15, 10:40 AM

If you run up against something immune to mind effects, a wand chamber + wand of Blades of Fire (SC) or Instant of Power (Forge of War) can be really, really handy. Also, Nerveskitter, Feather Fall, Wings of Cover.