PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Kobolds at higher levels

Leeham
2010-02-15, 08:31 AM
Can anybody tell me some whay of having level 7 kobold based encounters? I have a Kobold bad guy floating around that I've been meaning to use, and i think i've found the perfect opportunity. Also, any good encounter ideas would be fantastic.

Ceaon
2010-02-15, 09:32 AM
The DM Guide has rules for increasing monster levels. Just increase the levels the monsters appearing in a normal kobold encounter.

potatocubed
2010-02-15, 09:35 AM
I recommend designing your own kobolds - so long as they're small and they have the Shifty power, you're golden.

Duos Greanleef
2010-02-15, 11:37 AM
I agree with Potato Cubed.
This makes for CRAZY amounts of versatility in your monsters plus it's really not that hard since 4E is just a big Algebraic Formula where you plug in the level, role, and fluff.
:smallsmile:

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-02-15, 11:46 AM
Kobolds = traps, lots and lots of traps. Stuck into a combat encounter. Use tricky terrain. Keep the heroes guessing. Kobolds are shifty and crafty.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-02-15, 04:04 PM
Also, if you haven't already, put down $10 for a month of DDI to get the full Adventure Tools (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tools.aspx) program. It's basically a Character Builder, but for Monsters.

It's amazing :smalleek:

TheEmerged
2010-02-15, 05:01 PM
Well, build a 7th level monster with powers that are going to be interesting in play. Then call it a kobold.

Too simple? Try this.

Kobold TrapMaster (7th level Controller).

64 HP (32 bloodied).
21 AC, 18 Fort, 23 Ref, 18 Will.
Basic Melee Attack: +12 vs AC, 1d8+5
Basic Ranged Attack (Ranged 10): +11 vs Ref, 2d6+5.
Net Attack: +12 vs Ref. Close burst 3, targets one enemy. Target is immobilized (save ends). First Failed Save: target is restrained (save ends, aftereffect: repeat).
Not Batman, L33t anyway. Immediate Interrupt, triggered when an enemy moves or shifts next to the Kobold TrapMaster. Encounter power, Recharge when first bloodied. +12 vs Fort. 2d6+5 damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares from the Kobold TrapMaster.
Take You With Me! Immediate Reaction, triggered when the TrapMaster drops to 0 HP. Close Burst 1. +9 vs Ref. 3d8+5 damage.

I made that up in about 5 minutes, working roughly off the rules DMG1 184-185. I'm sure it could use some refinement, obviously, but this is more an object lesson in the simplicity of it.

Shardan
2010-02-15, 06:00 PM
Kobold NPC's since they are a character class would be one way

other than that, re-skin other level 7 monsters.

you could also have kobold creature tamers and have kobolds leading big nasties or riding big-nasties (where the mount is the real threat)

Colmarr
2010-02-15, 06:17 PM
you could also have kobold creature tamers and have kobolds leading big nasties or riding big-nasties (where the mount is the real threat)

Meepo riding Calcyrix? Squee!

For those not in the know, Calcyrix is the white dragon wyrmling from Sunless Citadel and Meepo is the kobold tasked with (unsuccessfully) rearing and guarding it. Obviously, Calcyrix would need to grow a little before Meepo could ride it, but it's still a cool idea

Leeham
2010-02-16, 04:49 AM
Thanks a lot for all the advice. Also Emerged I think i'm going to use that trap master :smallbiggrin: