PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Acquired Template Confusion

Zom B
2010-02-15, 09:54 AM
So here's a situation that may come up soon in our game: a player gains an acquired template during play. Say a lycanthrope bites them or a vampire drains them dry. How do you handle the level adjustment? If the answer is "Just don't let them gain any xp for the next X levels", well then for the next X levels, they're going to be more powerful than the others. If the answer is "have them regress their level-ups back to a point that makes them on par with everyone else", this hardly seems fair nor conducive to continuity. Things get even more muddled if the template was forced on them. I mean, true it's neat being a vampire, but if you're a wizard, a +8 LA is pretty much the end of your spellcasting career.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 10:00 AM
Have them progress through the Vampire or Lycanthrope class. See Libris Mortis for the Vampire, and one of the WotC articles for the various Lycanthropes.

lesser_minion
2010-02-15, 10:24 AM
I'd suggest asking them to take the relevant class as well.

Otherwise, you're basically going to have to offer a rebuild around the template.

Zom B
2010-02-15, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but those were just examples. What if we're talking about a template for which there is not a handy class analog?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 10:34 AM
Yeah, but those were just examples. What if we're talking about a template for which there is not a handy class analog?

Reformating is the only solution. Or offer it up to the Homebrew boards and let them try their hand at designing the class.

unre9istered
2010-02-15, 01:48 PM
Or just have them stop gaining XP until their XP is appropriate for their new ECL.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 01:56 PM
Or just have them stop gaining XP until their XP is appropriate for their new ECL.

Which leaves the problem of them overshadowing equal-level characters until that happens.

Greenish
2010-02-15, 01:59 PM
Which leaves the problem of them overshadowing equal-level characters until that happens.And being overshadowed once it happens.

Nice lil' detail about afflicted lycantrophy, as an aside: if you ever willingly change your form, *poof* goes your alignment.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 02:00 PM
Nice lil' detail about afflicted lycantrophy, as an aside: if you ever willingly change your form, *poof* goes your alignment.

That never made sense to me. IMO, it should be if they change and then willingly try to inflict lycanthropy, even on the willing.

Greenish
2010-02-15, 02:05 PM
That never made sense to me. IMO, it should be if they change and then willingly try to inflict lycanthropy, even on the willing.Maybe, but wouldn't a werebear crusade be quite awesome?

*bite*

Mwahahaa, whenever it's full moon or you're damaged in combat, will-save or start behaving as Lawful Good!

Or you could try to force them to change "willingly". Convert or die!

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 02:14 PM
Maybe, but wouldn't a werebear crusade be quite awesome?

*bite*

Mwahahaa, whenever it's full moon or you're damaged in combat, will-save or start behaving as Lawful Good!

Or you could try to force them to change "willingly". Convert or die!

I've played a campaign where we converted an afflicted Werewolf to LG, then turned him into a Tiger Claw Swordsage. It wouldn't have worked if the DM enforced that rule, because he often shifted up to hybrid to use his strikes (and never bit anyone after we brought him to his senses).

Greenish
2010-02-15, 02:22 PM
I've played a campaign where we converted an afflicted Werewolf to LG, then turned him into a Tiger Claw Swordsage. It wouldn't have worked if the DM enforced that rule, because he often shifted up to hybrid to use his strikes (and never bit anyone after we brought him to his senses).Well, it does say that the alignment is only based on popular perceptions of the animal and can be arbitrarily assigned. After all, a wolf is just as Neutral as a bear.

…I'm still not over the werebear crusade though. Bite someone, and every time they get hurt, it's DC 15 will save or turn permanently Lawful Good. Keep poking 'em and they're bound to fail, sooner or later...

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 02:26 PM
Well, it does say that the alignment is only based on popular perceptions of the animal and can be arbitrarily assigned. After all, a wolf is just as Neutral as a bear.

…I'm still not over the werebear crusade though. Bite someone, and every time they get hurt, it's DC 15 will save or turn permanently Lawful Good. Keep poking 'em and they're bound to fail, sooner or later...

It's even worse than the Helm. It nukes their Class Features in one day. All of a sudden, the caster becomes nigh worthless for X levels.

Greenish
2010-02-15, 02:32 PM
It's even worse than the Helm. It nukes their Class Features in one day. All of a sudden, the caster becomes nigh worthless for X levels.Better than a flock of turbo-charged rust dragons. Makes them think twice before eating DM's nachos.