PDA

View Full Version : Druid of the Song

Leon
2010-02-15, 09:57 AM
Working on a alternate option for a possible future PC i have decided to finally try the Arcane Hierophant.
This is now a option as the new DM is much more open minded and welcoming of things that are not standard.

I happen to really like Variant options for classes and seeing how they go with common approaches.

Book available are pretty much anything (only thing i know that is banned outright is Psionics)

For this PC i have decided on a Savage Fey Bard / Druidic Avenger (4 bard lvls and 3 druid lvls)

As the AH requires you to have a Animal Companion and the potential for a familiar. having more than one AC is a moot point as it only lets you retain one so may as well drop it and gain some other benefit.

I like to play support types who can mix it up in melee or from range when needed.

Race is most likely going to be Wild Elf or Dream Dwarf
There are no stats as of yet
Alignment: CN (As per Savage Bard and Druid requirements)

But im stuck on feats - the only one I'm solid on is Natural Bond, but Companion Spell Bond is a close second.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a selection of feats for the the other slots and for the next few slots.

Don't know much about bardic music so some suggestions there would be good too.

Oh there will be no Wildshape do don't bother mentioning it or its derivatives/accessories

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 10:02 AM
Is there a reason you're going Bard 4/Druid 3? I'd think the Druid side would be more powerful here. Why not Bard 1/Druid 4/Mystic Theurge 5/AH 10, using Precocious Apprentice and taking Obtain Familiar at MT 2? That way you end up with 9/6 and a decent minion.

paddyfool
2010-02-15, 10:03 AM
If your DM will let you use a little homebrew, you may want to look at these feats (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/3CsX278ZDGQQ62al3RP.html). Also, where are you getting your familiar from, and are you aware that druidic avenger loses animal companion?

Leon
2010-02-15, 10:18 AM
Is there a reason you're going Bard 4/Druid 3? I'd think the Druid side would be more powerful here. Why not Bard 1/Druid 4/Mystic Theurge 5/AH 10, using Precocious Apprentice and taking Obtain Familiar at MT 2? That way you end up with 9/6 and a decent minion.

Aside from not actually needing a Familiar, just the potential to have one as the Familiar gets dismissed and its feature subsumed into the Companion Familiar.
I'm not overly concerned by where the spell levels end up or not needing a Combat powerhouse of a pet (we have a couple of PCs who fill that slot)

I'm just looking at options for a Different and fun character in case something bad happens to my current one (and given that one PC is a trigger happy jerk of a Wizard who has managed to insult almost every NPC we have come across we may all go Fwoosh at some point)

Also, where are you getting your familiar from, and are you aware that druidic avenger loses animal companion?

Yep - Fey Bard gains a AC as per a Druid
Thanks for the feats, I'll take a good look at them

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 10:20 AM
Aside from not actually needing a Familiar, just the potential to have one as the Familiar gets dismissed and its feature subsumed into the Companion Familiar.
I'm not overly concerned by where the spell levels end up or not needing a Combat powerhouse of a pet (we have a couple of PCs who fill that slot)

I'm just looking at options for a Different and fun character in case something bad happens to my current one (and given that one PC is a trigger happy jerk of a Wizard who has managed to insult almost every NPC we have come across we may all go Fwoosh at some point)

Still, no need to nerf yourself. The wizard's a Jerk? Show him what it means to be a Full caster (and a Druid).

Optimystik
2010-02-15, 10:45 AM
There is already a "Druid of the Song" PrC - Fochlucan Lyrist from Complete Adventurer is a PrC for bard/druids that advances bardic music, bardic knowledge and both classes' casting.

Pluto
2010-02-15, 04:43 PM
So I'm looking for suggestions for a selection of feats for the the other slots and for the next few slots.
Going along with what Optimystik said, Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots) and Open Lesser Chakra (Feet) gives Uncanny Dodge and Evasion. That, incidentally, means you can enter Fochlucan Lyrist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=2), which is a pretty superb class if you qualify.
[edit: Scratch that. I didn't remember that Fey Bard lost Bardic Knowledge.]

I probably wouldn't use Druidic Avenger, just because the AH's schtick is having the biggest scariest Familiar possible. And without Wild Shape, melee is probably a bad choice.

I'd agree with your choices for Companion Spellbond and Natural Bond. Those are superb picks for an Arcane Hierophant.

Don't know much about bardic music so some suggestions there would be good too.
It looks like you're more or less trading your class-provided Bardic Music abilities away with Fey Bard.
That's not a problem on its own -- if you have access to setting-specific materials, Haunting Melody from ECS or Doomspeak from Champions of Ruin will put your music to good use:
HM makes all nearby enemies shaken for the combat (and it does stack with other fear effects).
Doomspeak makes gives one target -10 to just about everything for a round.

Leon
2010-02-15, 05:52 PM
I had forgotten about the Fochlucan Lyrist, i may have to re-jig the idea somewhat - tho I'd have to ask about using Soul melds to qualify.

The fey bard is there to give me the AC, something different than the normal