PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Magic items/ Items you always try to buy.

Grifthin
2010-02-15, 10:10 AM
We all have some items that we really really like. What items do you always try to get regardless of the class your playing. Anything from specific enchantments through to rings and Rods. What do you guys find useful/indespensible ?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 10:16 AM
I have a soft spot for the Rod of Many Wands.

Swok
2010-02-15, 10:20 AM
Personal fondness for Immovable Rods. They're just fun.

Zom B
2010-02-15, 10:24 AM
Ever since one specific encounter, I always try to plop down the 24,000gp for the Cloak of Displacement, Minor (I hate the major one. Would like it more if it did the same as the Minor but with the 1/day 50% miss chance), as effectively negating 1/5 of all damage just makes a lot more sense than any amount of DR.

The encounter:
Player playing Assassin: *springs out from the shadows and attacks* Death attack! What's your FF AC?
Ozfard (Gnome Wiz/Argent Savant): 18.
Assassin: Oh, I hit. And I need a Fort save now.
Ozfard: *rolls miss chance for cloak* 18 on 20% miss chance. Sorry, no hit. By the way, Orb of Force. That'll be 10d6+10 damage or *rolls* 52 damage.
Assassin: Um...I'm dead.

Tyger
2010-02-15, 10:25 AM
In before Handy Haversack! :) Seriously though, anyone who doesn't have one of these is not thinking clearly.

In general though, boosters (for the appropriate stats and saves), and general utility items always top the lists for me and my players. Cloak of Resistance is always popular.

My group uses a lot of handwavium for the food and water situation, so none of the eternal bags of food type items get used, ever.

Hat of Disguise sees a lot of use.

Weapon and Armor crystals, from the MiC, are very popular, except with our one DM who considers them grossly overpowered. (We don't play with him anymore. :smallwink: )

Zom B
2010-02-15, 10:27 AM
Cloak of Resistance is always popular.

The Vest of Resistance seems to be more popular with our group. Cloaks of Charisma need the cloak slot in a lot of cases.

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-15, 10:31 AM
In before Handy Haversack! Seriously though, anyone who doesn't have one of these is not thinking clearly.Handy Haversack is just plain convenient; if only we could get them IRL...

Rod of Ropes + Belt of Hidden Pouches gives you a pretty decent start toward being Batman. :smallcool:

Tyndmyr
2010-02-15, 10:41 AM
The haversack, of course.

Stat boosters.

A crowbar. I've always bought one, and it's always come in handy at some point.

Swiftest
2010-02-15, 10:46 AM
10 foot pole! Don't leave home without it. Damn near every problem in a dungeon can be solved with a 10 foot pole and a cunning mind. Phallus jokes optional.

Zom B
2010-02-15, 10:49 AM
A crowbar.

The "standard adventuring kit" around our games tends to be: a broom, a towel, and a steel serving tray. All of these items tend to come in handy for something.

Draz74
2010-02-15, 10:53 AM
Rod of Viscid Globs.

Animefunkmaster
2010-02-15, 11:03 AM
My usual(s):

Mundane:
Bells (id I can get some fishing line you could set up a fairly inexpensive alarm)
Nets (even without proficiency these guys are great)

Magical:
Steadfast Boots (MIC, still i can't believe you are constantly readied against a charge attack)
Quall's Tree token (I have yet to find a problem that couldn't be solved with spontaneous trees)
Belt of Healing (Can't beat the price, rarely do we have a healer)

subject42
2010-02-15, 11:09 AM
Survival pouch. Don't go into the tomb of horrors without one.

It's a self-refilling sack of rope, food, campfires, and donkeys.

Five donkeys a day for 3000gp is a steal if you ask me.

Orran
2010-02-15, 11:17 AM
Minor thing about the death attack story, IIRC any amount of concealment prevents sneak attacks, barring pierce magical concealment or similar, so cloak of displacement is win all round.

My favourite? Anklets of translocation. 10' move as a swift action 2/day for 1400 gp? Win.

Zom B
2010-02-15, 11:31 AM
Minor thing about the death attack story, IIRC any amount of concealment prevents sneak attacks, barring pierce magical concealment or similar, so cloak of displacement is win all round.

Holy flip, I never thought of that. You're absolutely right:

A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

El Dorado
2010-02-15, 11:37 AM
Grappling hook.

In one campaign, just owning one would get you thrown in jail (because you were obviously part of the thieves' guild).

Ever since, it's a must have.

+1 haversack

Gorbash
2010-02-15, 11:49 AM
Yup, Cloak of Displacement == Immunity to SA, unless the attacker has True Sight.

Hm, I always buy Everlating Rations and Everfull Mug, just to get rid of those pesky DMs that actually bother with those rules and cheap beer is always welcome.

But aside from stat boosters and some extradimensional space, I don't really buy the same items, since I usually buy items to cover some flaws of the class - Cloak of Resitance and magic weaponary on fighter types (which I don't need if I'm a spellcaster due to Greater/Superior Resistance), Rods and CL increasing items on arcane characters. Different classes need different stuff.

Swooper
2010-02-15, 11:58 AM
Depends entirely on the type of character. The only item all my characters buy is either a Handy Haversack or a Bag of Holding.

I do have a fondness for Iron Ward Diamonds (MIC) for melee types, though.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-15, 12:19 PM
Blueshine armor and Everbright weapon.
The way they're written, I think the primary effect is supposed to be the +2 to hide, and the DC 14 vs Blindness. But the reason I get them, is that they make my weapons and armor immune to rust AND acid damage.
It's like the protective qualities of the rusting gauntlet, with added defences, and without losing an item slot.
(haversack, ring of sustenance, belt of healing)

Greenish
2010-02-15, 12:25 PM
+1 for haversack and Hat of Awesome.

Dust of Dryness. Just because.

Orran
2010-02-15, 12:49 PM
Oo, nobody's mentioned the belt of battle yet, 12k for extra actions = win.

Window459
2010-02-15, 12:58 PM
I always wanted to buy a magic carpet when I'm playing a Sorceror

Optimystik
2010-02-15, 01:01 PM
As any class with a code of conduct, Phylactery of Faithfulness.

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-15, 01:05 PM
Oo, nobody's mentioned the belt of battle yet...That's because most players know not to break the Gentlemen's Agreement.

gallagher
2010-02-15, 01:42 PM
i dont know about buying it, but i always try to quest for a deck of many things

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-15, 01:45 PM
i dont know about buying it, but i always try to quest for a deck of many things

Tzeentch's sake, I hate that artifact. Not because it's capable of ruining a campaign, but because it doesn't affect the entire party evenly. I'd be fine with it if it gave everyone the items or XP or the keep, but just giving it to one character is what causes a major rift in my games.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-15, 01:49 PM
I almost always take Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker.

the humanity
2010-02-15, 01:55 PM
Heartseeking Amulet is very useful in a combat pinch. gotta love that Helm of Glorious Recovery though.

these things would probably change if I played more sorcerous characters.

Talon Sky
2010-02-15, 02:00 PM
Haversack, obviously. I also am a fan of the Cure wands, the whole family. 750 GP for a wand of Cure Light, 50 charges? Saved the party a few times with that baby.

Rod of Lordly Might, simply for the numerous puns ;p

As far as DMs that keep track of food and sleep (like I do ^_-), Ring of Sustenance is Win. Especially when you are the only one with one in the party, you can generally take most of the night's watch. Combine that with a casual Crafting skill (houseruled to cut out that week-long thing for smaller items) and you've got a good chuck of private time on your hands!

Anything with Spider Climb can be handy, even if it's situational.

Asheram
2010-02-15, 02:36 PM
+1 for the haversack.

But I'm surprised noone've mentioned a Healing Belt yet.

Greenish
2010-02-15, 02:39 PM
But I'm surprised noone've mentioned a Healing Belt yet.Ninja'ed twice. :smallbiggrin:

Asheram
2010-02-15, 05:20 PM
Ninja'ed twice. :smallbiggrin:

Ah, bugger... that's what you get from not looking a bit closer. :smallfrown:

BenTheJester
2010-02-15, 07:31 PM
I can't believe nobody mentioned rope.

Wands of Lesser Vigor are also the most cost efficient healing in the game, so are good to have even at later levels.

+1 Healing Belt
+1 Handy Haversack
+1 Quaal's Feather Token Tree
+1 Belt of Battle

Also you might be interested by Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)

PanNarrans
2010-02-15, 07:40 PM
Nolzur's Marvellous Pigments are good fun. Desperately need an item? Paint it!

Raiki
2010-02-15, 07:56 PM
I usually pick up a carpet of flying and a ring of invisibility with all of my high level characters. This combination made my summon focused druid pretty untouchable (barring see invisibility of course, which our DM never seemed to remember).

Of course, the obligatory +1 to haversack or Bag of Holding.

My group also has a longstanding tradition to dedicate all of our "extra" wealth after character creation to "Random Adventuring Gear - X GP"

At low level games, where we can only toss like 5 GP at it, we never need to worry about having rope, candles, rations, etc. But it really gets to be fun in higher level games. I had a level 15 starting level Wizard who ran out of magic items that A) I liked and B) that fit the character, so I bought "Random Adventuring Gear 100,000 GP". Needless to say, I was pulling almost anything I needed out of my bag of holding. When I asked if I had something, the DM would just look at my sheet, shake her head, and mutter "yes, you have it" while shaking her head.

~R~

Hunter Noventa
2010-02-15, 08:26 PM
I usually pick up a carpet of flying and a ring of invisibility with all of my high level characters. This combination made my summon focused druid pretty untouchable (barring see invisibility of course, which our DM never seemed to remember).

Of course, the obligatory +1 to haversack or Bag of Holding.

My group also has a longstanding tradition to dedicate all of our "extra" wealth after character creation to "Random Adventuring Gear - X GP"

At low level games, where we can only toss like 5 GP at it, we never need to worry about having rope, candles, rations, etc. But it really gets to be fun in higher level games. I had a level 15 starting level Wizard who ran out of magic items that A) I liked and B) that fit the character, so I bought "Random Adventuring Gear 100,000 GP". Needless to say, I was pulling almost anything I needed out of my bag of holding. When I asked if I had something, the DM would just look at my sheet, shake her head, and mutter "yes, you have it" while shaking her head.

~R~

Oh I like that rule, i'll have to try and get it introduced.

For some reason I've always been fond of the Wings of Flying. if only because it can look like any sort of cloak, and then spontaneously turn into wings.

fryplink
2010-02-15, 08:40 PM
Haversack, obviously. I also am a fan of the Cure wands, the whole family. 750 GP for a wand of Cure Light, 50 charges? Saved the party a few times with that baby.

Belt of healing [MiC], (isnt it the same price as a Wand of CLW?) recharges every day, pack 3 in your haversack pass 'em 'round before you go to bed at night wake up refreshed and ready in the morning (plus if you run outta charges before heal-up, you can finish in the morning)

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-16, 12:53 AM
Bag of Holding III, because encumbrance is just sad.

Mongoose87
2010-02-16, 12:59 AM
I've always had a soft spot for the bag of tricks.

A Ladder
2010-02-16, 01:02 AM
Survival pouch. Don't go into the tomb of horrors without one.

It's a self-refilling sack of rope, food, campfires, and donkeys.

Five donkeys a day for 3000gp is a steal if you ask me.

whoa. what book is that in?

I ALWAYS ALWAYS have rope. sooooooo useful. and i once made a wand of mount.... that was so much fun.

The "standard adventuring kit" around our games tends to be: a broom, a towel, and a steel serving tray. All of these items tend to come in handy for something.

hahahhaha i need to do that.

Devils_Blind
2010-02-16, 01:10 AM
Blue Ice anything. Cheaper than mithral, and more flavorful.

Dvandemon
2010-02-16, 01:12 AM
I like the idea of Rod of Viscid Globs and a Bag of Swarms simply because I'm going for a conjurer character build. If I was an Orc fighter i'd want a Mace of Kobold Golfing (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mace_of_Kobold_Golfing_(3.5e_Equipment)) just for the fun of it. As for artifacts i'd go for Schroedinger's Bag (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shroedinger%27s_Bag_(3.5e_Equipment)) because come on, it'd make such a great Deus Ex Machina:smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-02-16, 01:29 AM
whoa. what book is that in?Races of the Wild.

nolispe
2010-02-16, 01:37 AM
+1 Quaal's Feather Token Tree. Once had a character that carried 1000 of these things around; DM allowed command word trigger, and they were all on the same command word. likewise, had a command-word triggered teleport, set to go a fraction of a second before the tokens. most awesome boss battle ever. shame, really, that the entire rest of party died as well in the sudden mass of wood in the underground cavern.

Draz74
2010-02-16, 02:29 AM
Races of the Wild.

And Magic Item Compendium.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-02-16, 02:44 AM
Warning Weapon. +1 Equivalent Bonus and +5 to initiative. Even if you don't normally use a weapon, it's good to have.

Also, Badge of Valor from MIC for Bards.

absolmorph
2010-02-16, 06:04 AM
Oh I like that rule, i'll have to try and get it introduced.

For some reason I've always been fond of the Wings of Flying. if only because it can look like any sort of cloak, and then spontaneously turn into wings.
Can it be white and longer than your average cloak or cape? (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=13397)

Dratsabre Tsabala
2010-02-16, 02:33 PM
Nolzur's Marvellous Pigments are good fun.

This, this, emphatically this. These paints have saved my party's collective butts more times than I can count, not to mention stymying my DM and just generally being a whole lot of fun. In a party without a primary caster, I'd say they're a must.

+1 for Handy Haversacks and Hats of Disguise, too. While we're at it, whoever mentioned Wand of Mount is a gentleman and a scholar. To those who've never tried it, conjuring 5 or 10 horses in an enclosed space full of people you don't like is something everyone needs to experience at least once, and if you're crafting it yourself, the gold and experience costs (at level 1) are practically negligible.

subject42
2010-02-16, 02:56 PM
And Magic Item Compendium.

The Magic Item Compendium version of the survival pouch is 2000 gp cheaper.

I think you can also pull some weapons out of it, but I've never done that for anything other than selling them to unsuspecting buyers. It's great until you get an angry mob chasing after you when the items disappear eight hours later.

Masaioh
2010-02-16, 03:27 PM
Ring of sustenance.

If my DM even cares about how many cubic feet of gear we can carry, then bag of holding. Usually though, we are just limited by carrying capacity.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-16, 03:43 PM
Necklace of Adaptation.

It's Water Breathing. It's immunity to Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill. It's a wonderful 'no' button which can save your arse any number of ways.

Ring of Sustenance. For reasons stated.

Handy Haversack. D'uh

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 03:50 PM
Folding Boat. 3 sizes of boat, Can be used as an emergency wall, shelter OR dropped on someones head. Use it when swallowed for fun and profit. With the right spell you even have a submarine in your pocket. :smallwink: Also, can be used if you find yourself surrounded by water to float. and it turns into a nice decorative box. Aged Hard wood with silver scroll work, dovetailed joints and polished antique brass fittings. With a crushed velvet interior that comes in your choice of six colors. Now if only a zeppelin version existed, or one that granted a crew for it as well...

+1 to everfull mug + everlasting rations. and on that same note: The traveler's cloak is good too.

The Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis is a good one too. get a damn good template for a bit of cash. not too shabby

Voice of Reason
2010-02-16, 03:52 PM
Quaal's Feather Token: Whip. I have a friend who brings at least one with him everywhere he goes; its the first thing he activates in combat, and it's managed to deal some serious extra damage in its time. It was especially nice for the old RPGA adventures where you got a re-usable item for 5x consumable cost.

leon666
2010-02-16, 04:36 PM
10 foot pole! Don't leave home without it. Damn near every problem in a dungeon can be solved with a 10 foot pole and a cunning mind. Phallus jokes optional.

I carry an 11 foot pole wherever i go... You never know when an extra 12 inches will come in handy :smallcool:

Ormagoden
2010-02-16, 04:41 PM
crowbar
10ft pole
20 ft twine
Net
tanglefoot bags
alchemist fire

Dragonbreath arrows

Keen weapons

Gauntlet of infinite weaponry (god I love that thing)

BenTheJester
2010-02-16, 06:13 PM
Folding Boat. 3 sizes of boat, Can be used as an emergency wall, shelter OR dropped on someones head. Use it when swallowed for fun and profit. With the right spell you even have a submarine in your pocket. :smallwink: Also, can be used if you find yourself surrounded by water to float. and it turns into a nice decorative box. Aged Hard wood with silver scroll work, dovetailed joints and polished antique brass fittings. With a crushed velvet interior that comes in your choice of six colors. Now if only a zeppelin version existed, or one that granted a crew for it as well...

+1 to everfull mug + everlasting rations. and on that same note: The traveler's cloak is good too.

The Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis is a good one too. get a damn good template for a bit of cash. not too shabby

Where is the traveler's cloak from?

mostlyharmful
2010-02-16, 06:24 PM
Hat of Hilarity, that and a solid bluff check is UNSTOPPABLE!!!!! or at least funny enough to damage internal organs.:smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2010-02-16, 06:24 PM
Carpet of flying and gem of seeing

Fly and not crash into invisible mountains.
I HATE INVISIBLE MOUNTAINS!

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 06:29 PM
Where is the traveler's cloak from?

I'm positive I first saw it in Magic of Faerun.... yep. page 166, bottom left. Travel Cloak. Keeps ya warm, dry, fed and hydrated and serves as a tent. not too shabby.

CTLC
2010-02-16, 06:53 PM
Belt of Healing (Can't beat the price, rarely do we have a healer)
Tis been mentioned, and +1

herrhauptmann
2010-02-16, 09:38 PM
Blue Ice anything. Cheaper than mithral, and more flavorful.

Which book is Blue ice in? What's it like? Armor is one category lighter, hardness/inch = mithral?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-16, 09:43 PM
Which book is Blue ice in? What's it like? Armor is one category lighter, hardness/inch = mithral?

I am not sure but I believe it is on frostburn.

Nerocite
2010-02-16, 09:45 PM
Ring of Haste.

timbuck_hunter
2010-02-16, 11:36 PM
Some 1st level items I always start with:

Bag of flour- throw on invisible enemy!
Marbles- caltrops are nice and all, but marbles are just as effective as a trap and hinder your opponent, especially if he falls over.

oh, and rocket skates. Rocket skates are really useful.

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 11:45 PM
Handy Haversack
Bunch of mundane goods
Ring of Mini-wish.
Stats boosters (duh).
Mithiral Twilight Chain Shirt.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-17, 02:34 AM
Ring of Haste.

Continuous effect? Or used as per the spell with infinite activations per day? (I hate the haste boots. 3/day, no thanks)

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 02:35 AM
I am not sure but I believe it is on frostburn.

Yes it is.

BenTheJester
2010-02-17, 02:35 AM
Mithiral Twilight Chain Shirt.

Feycraft Mithral Twilight Breastplate

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 02:41 AM
Feycraft Mithral Twilight Breastplate

Tack on Thistledown for another-5%.

Nerocite
2010-02-17, 05:29 PM
Continuous effect? Or used as per the spell with infinite activations per day? (I hate the haste boots. 3/day, no thanks)

Here's the description:

Ring of Haste: When activated, the wearer is affected by a haste spell. Caster level: 7th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, haste; Market Price: 30,000 gp.

Yeah, much better than the boots.

sofawall
2010-02-17, 05:34 PM
The ring is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/fc20020518), if anyone was wondering.

EDIT: Also, the boots are 10 rounds per day, aren't they?

Nerocite
2010-02-17, 06:02 PM
Yes. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) Horrible item.

Greenish
2010-02-17, 06:29 PM
Tack on Thistledown for another-5%.Aren't you already at 0%?

Hmmph, would a negative arcane spell failure help Concentration check? :smallconfused:

herrhauptmann
2010-02-17, 06:33 PM
Aren't you already at 0%?

Hmmph, would a negative arcane spell failure help Concentration check? :smallconfused:

Would be nice if the -5% for the armor, when added to say the 5% for a buckler, could keep your overall ASF at 0.

Greenish
2010-02-17, 06:46 PM
Would be nice if the -5% for the armor, when added to say the 5% for a buckler, could keep your overall ASF at 0.Why not Mithral Heavy Shield?

herrhauptmann
2010-02-17, 07:26 PM
Why not Mithral Heavy Shield?

I knew a buckler was 5%, couldn't remember what it was for a heavy shield, and didn't feel like doing calculations for odd materials and blacksmiths.

Yahzi
2010-02-18, 12:48 AM
Lyre of Building, of course.

Girdle of Storm Giant Strength, back in AD&D. If your experience of stat boosters is limited to 3e or above, you have no idea how cool a magic could be. :smallbiggrin:

Draz74
2010-02-18, 02:05 AM
Yes. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) Horrible item.

:smallconfused:

I was under the impression they were considered a necessary staple for every high-level character who didn't expect to get Hasted by an ally regularly anyway.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-18, 02:45 AM
:smallconfused:

I was under the impression they were considered a necessary staple for every high-level character who didn't expect to get Hasted by an ally regularly anyway.

The problem I had with them is the limited use per day. That's really only like 2 fights.
Even if they're a free action to use, you're still unhasted in the first round of combat (lower init,dex, ref save). Often the time when you most wish you had all 3.
The ring mentioned above, you can keep activating it throughout the day, to the point where you tell the DM: "Every 7 rounds I rehaste myself"

Eldariel
2010-02-18, 07:14 AM
Boots of Speed are awesome. You don't need to use them every round you attack, just when you want/need the extra attack. And high-level combat can be a quick, brutal affair anyways. They can easily last you 3-4 combats as long as you use them only when making attacks; or closing in, I guess.

herbe
2010-03-23, 03:07 PM
All boost abilities permanent(order srt,dex,con,int,wis,cha):

Manual of Gainful Exercise
Manual of Quickness of Action
Manual of Bodily Health
Tome of Understanding
Tome of Clear Thought
Tome of Leadership and Influence

Iban
2010-03-23, 04:31 PM
Chalk, Caltrops, a Backpack, Bedroll, Flint + Steel, Crowbar :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-03-23, 04:46 PM
My favorite magic item (I always ensure that my characters get one) is the cloak of resistance, usually at least +3. I mean, it's a bonus to all of your saves! It's extremely useful! I even give up all other cloaks, even if they are slightly better, for a cloak of resistance.
-Xavez

TheMadLinguist
2010-03-23, 05:04 PM
+1 to feather token:Tree. Sooooo useful.

I always end up with anklets of translocation somehow. I guess it's because they're so cheap.