PDA

View Full Version : Arcanists on the Run

FlamingKobold
2010-02-15, 08:50 PM
In the country you live in, Britannia, magic is outlawed. Up until about 30 years ago, the country was ruled by a council of highly oppressive mages. In the end, their belief that they were invincible was what led to their downfall, at the hands of Sir Walter Elric. Elric became the king of the land, and was a popular and generous king. He allowed magic, but not in cities, and had a special regiment that devoted their lives to being able to combat mages, in the event that it would be necessary. The king died several months ago and his son, Walter Elric II, took over. King Elric II immediately banished magic across the kingdom, making it an offense punishable by death. Soldiers went around the country, killing anyone who could use magic. No one was spared. Popular support was behind this movement, as people had always been mistrustful of mages, and King Elric II’s speeches exacerbated this mistrust and hatred.

You were all, for whatever reason, in the port city of Ratliff, 1000 miles away from the capital city of Alisia. It was so far away that, while you had heard of the king’s death, you didn’t know about the new law. This morning, a runner arrived out of breath in the city, goes to the middle of town square, pulls out a scroll and reads. “It is hereby ordered by King Walter Elric II that all those capable of using magic in any form be immediately put to death. This is for the protection of all citizens in Britannia. There will be a bounty of 20 gold pieces for the turning in of any magic user, provided that there is evidence that they have the capability of using magic. Take any captives to your local town hall for your reward."

Immediately there is an uproar. People grabbing local mages, and magic users running around, firing spells off for protection. The runner brandishes tthe scroll as the town guard tries and fails to instill order.

You are both in earshot of the runner, and have not been caught yet. However, it is known that you are magic users, and you have very few options. You are free to act.

Temotei
2010-02-15, 10:59 PM
That bastard. What kind of king throws a perfectly good power away like that? I swear, when I see him, I'm going to send a nice big fireball up his...

Raina trails off.

You know what I mean. Shall we run then, or are we going to "defend" ourselves?

VinGoodman
2010-02-15, 11:07 PM
We run and regroup. There's no need to fight on their terms. Drem scans the mayhem before them to see what chances they have to survive this, and what they can use to their advantage. "I wonder if we can collect on the 40 gp if we turn ourselves in?"

OOC

Drem is looking for information pertaining to:

1) the runner - where is his horse; where are other horses; is the runner guarded?
2) spellcasters - where is there a cluster retreating, especially one that is showing good firepower?
3) where is the opposition the strongest, especially directions where there is a semblence of organized attack rather than just individuals and mobs?

FlamingKobold
2010-02-16, 01:22 AM
OOC

1. His horse is right beside him. There are horses in the stable (100 feet away from you, unguarded). Yes, by several town guards.

2. There are many spellcasters. However, since magic isn't all that strong in this setting, very few are making much progress. The leaders of the mages guld are flying away. You see a group of three guildmages sneaking towards the stables, unpursued. Other than that, not much.

3. Towards the center of the square and front gate. This is where tha majority of the people are, and where there are guards. Also, a large group is heading towards the mage's guild, away from you. Very little elsewhere.

Temotei
2010-02-16, 05:22 AM
Raina mumbles for a moment to herself, then starts to calmly walk toward the stables.

Right then. We take a horse for each of us and leave. Without bloodshed.

She nods to herself while looking at the runner, obviously trying to coax herself into going straight to the stables without conflict.

VinGoodman
2010-02-17, 01:00 AM
Drem continues to move to the horses alongside Raina, while keeping an eye out for the nearest way to ride out of town (other than the main gate).

FlamingKobold
2010-02-19, 11:24 PM
You successfully reach the stable, and have a very convenient clear shot to the western gate of the town. There are many horses in the stables, and many are panicking and running around, due to the noise and commotion by the main gate.

Temotei
2010-02-20, 12:59 AM
Heh. I suppose you'd prefer the western gate?

Raina puts on her best pouting expression for a moment, then smiles grimly.

I would personally prefer running straight through the main gate. That would be much more fun!

VinGoodman
2010-02-20, 03:10 AM
"Fun is one way to describe it. It may also drastically shorten our lifespan. This chaos is too much at our disadvantage." He pauses to take a quick survey of the number of militant folks in the chaos who could mean trouble to them. Too many, he though ruefully to himself. He looks for a mount that did not look so panicked, and attempt to calm and mount it.

OOC
I'm not sure if I need these:
Handle animal (untrained, cha roll) [roll0]
Ride (untrained, dex roll) [roll1]

FlamingKobold
2010-02-20, 07:11 PM
OOC

There are a few warhorses that aren't shaken by the commotion, so I assume you'd take those? Also, are you guys going for the West gate? It's your choice :smallamused:

VinGoodman
2010-02-20, 07:15 PM
OOC

Yes and yes for me. I think Raina agrees with me on this one. We would look for the calmer and the more responsive horses. Heavy warhorse would be ideal, especially if they're not resisting us too much.

Temotei
2010-02-20, 07:28 PM
OoC: Raina's not very good with mounts. She'll take the least angry/roused one she can find, then ride with her companion.

Alright...if anyone gets in my way though, it's going to be a blast to the face.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-20, 08:04 PM
He mount a pair of large, calm warhorses and ride towards the Western gate. Despite your obvious lack of training, the horses still carry you just fine, accustomed to subpar riders. As you are about halfway there You hear a shout of: "Wizards! Get them!" As a crowd, composed of both citizens and guards charges towards you. Several have bows and begin shooting arrows at you and your mounts. You now see a line of guards, prreviously stationned at the Western gate that were out of your sight before. They begin to raise the massive iron gate. With four people cranking it at the same time, it rises rapidly, and it looks doubtful that you will make it. You now have three options: Towards the gate hoping and praying for speed, going towards the large, well armedm ob, or retreating back to the town square. All in all, it's not a pleasant situation.

VinGoodman
2010-02-20, 08:28 PM
OOC

At this point, I think we need more details, even for a snap decision. Here's what I would need to be able to quickly assess:

1) West gate questions: How many guards are there? Four are cranking, is that all, or are there more? How far are we? Are the gates vertical, like french doors, or is it a rising drawbridge, or is it a portcullis coming down?

2) Crowd questions: The crowd charging us - how far away are they, where are the arrows coming from (I think a general gauge of the 8 directions N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW, will suffice, like N-arrows+mob, NE-no arrows sparse, etc). What is the overall crowd size we're talking about? less than 10? 10-50? Over 50?

3) This is a port, where is the water relative to us? How far? Did we see ships? If the town "knows" us, do we know the town as well? In particular, would we have any seedy connections we can call on? What size town are we talking about?

If everything is as bleak as I'm envisioning, I will propose to Raina that we turn ourselves in and claim the reward. This is a no-win fight at that point, and I'd rather live and figure a different way out later.

Where is the lead "guard" in all this? Is it a true mob, or is there someone (or multiple someones) who is directing and clearly in charge?

We're level one...unless I'm missing something obvious, we're meant to be captured or killed here. I have one last ace up my sleeve (that being Raina and a bit of bluffing, seeing as how my abilities are not flashy in the least - one could argue how they would even know I am a spellcaster if I didn't reveal it first. There are arcane ways, but that would be rather ironic), but it's worthless without information.

Raina, any thoughts?

Temotei
2010-02-20, 08:42 PM
OoC: We need more information before the decision can be made. Any way we go, Raina's not aiming for the gate. She likes fighting too much to take an awful chance of escaping, probably being cornered as her and Drem try to escape. Right now, I'm voting for a nice burning hands to the crowd, then an Intimidate check.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-21, 10:03 PM
OOC:

You're right, sorry. I was kinda sick at the time of posting, and did not give you adequate information.

1. Portcullis coming down. You have a chance at making it, especially with either ride checks or magic. There are the 4 guards cranking, and another two, taking out pikes to set against your horses.

2. 400 feet or so. None of the arrows were even close to on target. They are coming from the east. You are, currently, riding North, away from the main gate on the southern edge of town.

SE,S,SW - Towards the town square.

W - Building, can't really go there

N - Road to Western Gate/Continue along the road past the gate and away from all assailants.

NW - A closer approximation of where the Western gate is relative to your position.

NE - Nothing interesting in this direction.

E - Mob.

It's largish, about 15. only 4 are guards, then 11 civilians.

3. The port is on the North edge of town. You may be able to make it and outrun the mob. There are ships there. The Port is about 1000 feet away.

You could turn youselves in. That's be pretty interesting.

It's pretty much just a mob... They want money.

Temotei
2010-02-21, 10:29 PM
Aww...we have to keep riding, don't we?

Raina looks at the mob to the east longingly.

Bah...

One of her little fingers points at the mob, as if she's about to cast a spell, and a small spark of arcane lightning crackles on the edge of her fingertip.

Intimidate: [roll0]

OoC: That Intimidate check is generally pointed at the crowd, so pick who gets demoralized/intimidated, or house rule a group intimidation, assuming it succeeds. :smallcool:

Also, I think there should be an out-of-character thread. It would definitely help.

VinGoodman
2010-02-21, 10:44 PM
Hmm, 6 guards or a mob of a dozen or more. Neither seems appetizing. Still, if there is a way out, the guards may be the first way to go. The ships are possible, but there's no guarantee they can get a sympathetic captain. Drem wonders if there is a way out of this chaos. He doesn't like the odds, but magic is often misunderstood and feared, and that may be enough for them to make a way out.

"Raina, any chance you can get the gate guard's attention? Anything enough to make them hesitate long enough to give us a chance? I say we try the gate, then the port if the gate is closed to us."

Temotei
2010-02-21, 10:47 PM
Raina's face contorts into an evil smile.

Of course, dear.

She channels the energy from her pinkie finger into a force missile aimed for one of the guards cranking on the gate.

Action: Magic missile.

VinGoodman
2010-02-21, 10:55 PM
As Raina acts, Drem puts his hand on the spiked chain, and utters a quick arcane intonation for it to obey his whim.

Master's Touch - becoming proficient with this particular spiked chain

FlamingKobold
2010-02-24, 08:41 PM
The guard is struck by the force missile and utters a short cry of both pain and surprise. The two guards not cranking ready pike against you. However, both of these men, and indeed all of the guards, look quite afraid. Sure, they'd dealt with burglars and whatnot, but the onslaught of mages? They see a mage that wields a spike chain and can ride a warhorse with one that's not afraid to cause lethal injury. They don't look like they like their jobs.

Temotei
2010-02-24, 09:01 PM
Raina cackles gleefully as the guard cries out in pain.

Forgot to roll damage: [roll0]

That's what you get! Open the gate or suffer something far worse than a simple missile!

VinGoodman
2010-02-24, 10:07 PM
Drem utters a few more arcane words, loudly, and a bit of arcane light forms above one of his hands. "You heard the lady. Open the gate, lest you want blood to be spilt!"

Prestidigitation. Just a little light trick to fool the ignorant fools. Let's hope it does the trick.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-26, 07:37 PM
OOC:

Make intimidate checks. You each have a +6 circumstance bonus.

VinGoodman
2010-02-26, 07:40 PM
Drem follows through with the most dead serious face he can muster...

OOC

intimidation [roll0] (cha check, untrained, +6)

Yes! Good roll. *pats self on the back*

Temotei
2010-02-27, 12:09 AM
Intimidate: [roll0]

Raina screams with a shrill voice almost unheard of outside of stories of the dreaded banshees and sirens.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-28, 03:24 PM
(Their rolls. Don't read.)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

They all see Raina charging and screaming and their eyes widen in fear. They do exactly what you ask: leave the gate open and get out of your way. You charge under the gate, having to duck beneath it as you do, just as the two pikemen fling themselves out of your path. You are now outside of town, on a road that leads into the forest and towards the mountains. You hear the din of the shrieks and explosions die down as you gain distance, and soon enough the arrows stop following you. You have successfully escaped. On the downside, you're outlaws with few possessions and no place to go. This is not a great situation for you.

VinGoodman
2010-02-28, 03:34 PM
"Raina, let's find someplace out of the way, and talk about this. Personally, I'm thinking we find who is against this new ruler of ours, and whether they are taking this opportunity to gather the talents now exiled by our great and mighty king." As Drem speaks these words, he couldn't help but wonder how so inept a person could become king.

Temotei
2010-03-01, 02:07 AM
"Raina, let's find someplace out of the way, and talk about this. Personally, I'm thinking we find who is against this new ruler of ours, and whether they are taking this opportunity to gather the talents now exiled by our great and mighty king." As Drem speaks these words, he couldn't help but wonder how so inept a person could become king.

Agreed. I'm still sore about not killing anyone though. You have to admit, those attackers looked particularly meaty.

Raina sighs.

Ah well. It's probably better this way...

Unrelated OoC: Davy Jones awaits you, FlamingKobold. Jack is in danger.

FlamingKobold
2010-03-05, 12:30 AM
So... What do you guys do? THere are several places you can think of

1. The dwarves. There have been some racial tensions between the human kingdom and the dwarven kingdom, and this new king sounds like he'll aggravate that even more.

2. Any organization of mages.

3. Hideout in the mountains, and try to make friends

4. Smaller, more distant towns that might not have heard yet, to help out fellow arcanists.

5. The nation's capital, to kill that king :smalltongue:

and really anything else. This campaign setting is pretty freeform, so make up a name, place and description and it will probably exist. Or ask me

Temotei
2010-03-05, 12:41 AM
Raina looks toward the capital of Britannia resolutely.

The king will die. I will make sure of that...with your help, of course.

A wink.

I say we go in the direction of the capital, stopping for opportunities that present themselves...namely, kills that present themselves. Hopefully, we'll run into some guards or lackeys of the king.

VinGoodman
2010-03-05, 01:05 AM
"I do not disagree. Shall we go and see what the patrol situation is like near the capital? Perhaps we can persuade one of the guards to share some information with us, before we decide what to do with him. For his sake, I hope we find something to cheer us up before we find him."

Even as he realizes the rashness of this decision, he is eager to proceed to let out some steam, if nothing else.

"I wonder where Celair the Arcane went? There is simply no way he would fall to such mundane folks. If the capital proves to be a dead end, perhaps we can seek him out to see what he plans to do next."

Temotei
2010-03-05, 01:09 AM
You mean the elf? Gods, I hated him. So...clever. Quite attractive though.

Raina trails off, then looks over at Drem.

What? Half-elves exist for a reason--to show humans and elves that promiscuous sex between races is good!

VinGoodman
2010-03-09, 09:47 PM
Drem smiles helplessly. If he knew Raina less, he could have been offended, even jealous. But, after all these years, he finds her behavior oddly endearing.

"Well, let us first see if we can make this world a better place for this future half-elf arcane prodigy."

As they continued riding on, Drem contemplates the possible places Celair could have gone. Given the name, surely he would be near the top of the wanted list. Perhaps they can kill two birds with one stone, and find some leads as they have some hopefully unpleasant chats with isolated guards and patrols.

As the day passes and night threatens to arrive soon, Drem spoke up. "Raina, I think there's a traveling inn another hour's ride from here that's been generally friendly to the...unwelcomed. Should we scout it out to see if they now number us among them."

Ah, the irony of it all. Wasn't it only a year ago that we stirred things up there and captured that outlaw orc Grumm? Drem shakes his head as the thought passes through his mind. How quickly the tide turns. Will someone now come and stir things up at the tavern again, on the hunt for them?

Temotei
2010-03-09, 11:22 PM
Raina smiles impishly, her eyebrows raised.

We shall see.

Heh. The inn. That's where they wasted the orc...Gruel? Rum?...Grumm! That's it. Good times.

Nice place to be in a time like this. Perhaps we can find a guard searching the place. At least...I hope we do.

She looks at Drem for a moment, laughs, then kicks her mount to ride forward faster.

Race you!

VinGoodman
2010-03-10, 06:42 AM
Drem urges his horse on to chase after Raina, laughing as he does. Ah, to be laughing at a time like this. What strange creatures we are. He brushes the thought from his mind, and enjoys the moment with Raina.

As the horses raced, Drem called out, "I wonder if they kept Grumm alive somewhere. Perhaps it's time he regained his freedom." Among others, he thought to himself.

Temotei
2010-03-10, 07:55 AM
Tough to catch, tough to persuade...I like a challenge though. Let's get him.

Raina pauses for a moment.

What about Borwal? The gnome? He seemed a nice enough fellow for a murderer and thief. Maybe we can get him too. He had a good sense of humor.

Oh! And the drow! She was despicable, but hey. We can use her.

She smiles at the thought of forcing the drow "female dog" to work for them.

VinGoodman
2010-03-10, 08:08 AM
The thoughts of letting loose some trouble into the kingdom appeals to him. The chaos could do the new king some good. Still, there could be far reaching consequences that need to be considered.

"Well, first things first. Let's go see what kind of welcome we'll get here. Heeya!" He urges his horse on, and threatens to pull ahead of Raina with the surge.

Soon, the sight of the tavern greets the duo...

Temotei
2010-03-13, 04:15 PM
Heh. Looks as if there's a bit of a gathering outside. With...fire.

Raina looks dismayed at first, but it's just a facade.

...sweet.

She kicks her horse so hard it nearly topples the poor thing over.

VinGoodman
2010-03-13, 04:27 PM
OOC

I just PM'd the GM. If he's lost interest in us, I wonder if we should just keep it going anyways, with us alternating running the DM side as we throw encounters at ourselves.

Dnd'ers are wierd like that.

Temotei
2010-03-13, 04:29 PM
OoC: I believe he's busy with school. He's been lagging behind on several threads.

Your idea is a good one. :smallbiggrin:

FlamingKobold
2010-03-13, 07:20 PM
Sorry about that. Yeah, finals all week and a big speech tournament for the last few days where I havent had internet access. I will respond tonight, but need to get off right now.

By the way, you guys did an awesome job of keeping it going :smallbiggrin:

You finally reach the inn, travelling in remarkably good spirits in a time when you, along with the majority of those you know are being hunted down and prosecuted. Outside an odd sight greets you:

A large mob of those who take permanent residence within the inn, travellers, and allies from the nearby countryside seem to have congregated outside. They wield torches for light in the darkness and some are carrying various farm implements. In the center of the mob, you see a man, wearing about half a suit of armor laying on the ground, frightened. This man is a servant of the king and has been stripped of his weapons and much of his equipment. The crowd is jeering at him, and yelling phrases that were clearly rebellious in the context of him being a royal guard.

However, one of the crowd notices you and shouts "Raina! Drem! You guys made it!" There's is a large cheer as many of the men and women run over to greet you, expressing their relief that you weren't caught and asking how you have evaded capture.

VinGoodman
2010-03-14, 12:07 AM
No problem. Glad you're still around. How did the speech tournament go?

FlamingKobold
2010-03-14, 12:08 AM
It went okay, and now I get to go to nationals in June. Success.

Temotei
2010-03-14, 12:11 AM
Congratulations. :smallsmile:

Of course we lived. There were only ten or so guards in town. Not like we couldn't take them. The scared one here wanted to run though. I rather enjoy his company, so we left. No scratches.

Raina jumps off her horse, leading it by the reins toward the half-armored soldier.

...and him? What are we to do with him tonight?

VinGoodman
2010-03-14, 12:11 AM
OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8074083#post8074083) here.

VinGoodman
2010-03-14, 12:15 AM
My, my, this is a pleasant gift. Hey guys, mind if Raina and I have a few moments with this...GENTLEman? Drem smiled at Raina as he spoke those words. This is going to make Raina's day.

Temotei
2010-03-14, 12:22 AM
Raina smiles evilly when Drem says this.

You see why I travel with him? Of course I wasn't about to go crazy killing if he would have left me when I did so!

FlamingKobold
2010-03-14, 12:16 PM
The villagers, knowing Raina's lean towards violence, figure that this guy deserves it.. THey nod and follow what seems to be the leader, who you know is the owner of the inn, inside. The man just lies there on the ground, frightened.

VinGoodman
2010-03-14, 03:42 PM
Drem dismounts his horse, and brings his and Raina's horses to the group. "Would someone be so kind as to take care of these horses for us? They have been most loyal, and invaluable in saving our skins. I have a feeling they are comfortable with their new masters now."

Having settled the horses, he heads over and gives the man a once over, making sure he's well restrained. Then, he unceremoniously drags the man out behind the building and out of sight from the foot traffic, making sure that Raina follows.

He tosses the man down eventually, gags him, and smiles at Raina. "If you don't mind, can you entertain him for a bit? I need to make sure we have sleeping arrangements for the night, and I'll be back for us to ask him a few questions."

As he turns to head back into the tavern, he calls back, "and dear, please make sure he can still speak when I return?"

Temotei
2010-03-14, 11:40 PM
A malicious smile crosses Raina's mouth, staying there until she draws herself close to the guard. Too close for comfort. Her fist dagger becomes visible to the guard as she slides the strap for it down her wrist. She pauses for a second, focusing. A second later, her weapon is glowing brightly--enough so for the guard to know exactly where the weapon is headed at all times.

You're not going to like this...

Raina brings her face close enough to kiss the man.

Unfortunately for you, I will.

The warmage smiles sadistically while slowly running her lit dagger across the man's throat. Listening to his whimpers, she closes her eyes, reveling in the pain. Blood runs in a line cut by the dagger.

Dipping her left index finger on the line, she tastes the red substance.

How does it feel? To know your life is being torn away slowly--just as slowly as it came into being? How does it feel to know you will most likely die because of being an outsider?

Anger builds on Raina's now-not-smiling face and in her voice, which is building toward a scream.

Huh? WHAT? YOU DON'T LIKE ME, DO YOU?

Drem wants him alive. Keep him alive.

Rah!

The warmage sends her bright punching dagger digging into the man's kneecap, causing it to crack in multiple directions. She does the same with the other knee. The vicious weapon plunges into the guard's left eye not a half a second later, far enough for eye jelly and juices to come flying out of the wound onto Raina's petite nose and lips, but not far enough to kill him. Raina pauses for a moment, looking at the man's pitiful expression of both pain and sorrow.

You'd like to die now, wouldn't you?

Again bringing herself closer to the man, she puts in the kicker before Drem returns.

I'd like that too, but...too bad for us.

Raina takes off her punching dagger, dismissing the light on it as she places it carefully in the folds of her clothing.

VinGoodman
2010-03-15, 12:00 PM
As Drem returns from taking care of the mundane, he sees Raina and her handiwork. For a brief moment, he felt sorrow for what the soldier is going through. Wounds heal. We could be suffering this and worse, had they captured us back in town.

Steeling himself, he approaches and kneels beside the wounded soldier. He gives Raina a smile of approval and support, and turns his attention to the man. "What is your name, and how did you end up here in this predicament? What was your task? So long as you talk, and convince us you speak the truth, we'll be too busy listening to do anything. Otherwise..." he taps the end of his spiked chain against the knee, letting the soldier complete the thought for himself.

FlamingKobold
2010-03-17, 12:56 PM
The soldier tries to calm his breathing down to the point that he can actually communicate. Still struggliing to not scream and breathing heavily, he replies, "My name is Sir Alric Bentson. I was sent here by the king to deliver the message of the new laws. A mage attacked me, so i tried to subdue him. Then a giant mob of people attacked and then you guys showed up. That's all I know. Please, let me go, I have a wife and two children at home."

Temotei
2010-03-17, 02:50 PM
What are their names, where do you live, who was the attacking mage, and...you're a knight.

Raina looks at the soldier with a raised eyebrow, but her anger seems to have washed away.

VinGoodman
2010-03-18, 10:30 AM
"Sir Alric Bentson." Drem mutters the name to himself, both trying to memorize the name and to sift through his memories to see if it's a name he should be familiar with.

He waits for Alric to give the town and names...

Temotei
2010-03-18, 09:29 PM
I once knew a knight. He was a good guy. A really good guy. You're not him, unfortunately, and circumstances practically mandate that I brutally tear off every limb from your body, one by one.

...Perhaps not though. I'm feeling...

Raina brings her unstrapped punching dagger to the knight's neck again.

...generous.

Now give us the information before I have to be generous.

FlamingKobold
2010-03-22, 01:15 PM
"I live in Alisia. Or I did, anyway. I'm moving away, as far away as I can. My sister, Jaina, is a sorceress, you see. I hate the new king too, but I need to get money somehow. Please, don't hurt me. I'm resigning as soon as I get back to Alisia. I'm barely in a state fit to help them now anyway, though. I don't know the guy's name. All I know is he wore a blue robe. Please, don't kill me." The man seems to be rambling frantically. He seems genuinely desperate.

VinGoodman
2010-03-22, 09:28 PM
Drem sighs as he stood up, the fight draining out of him. Of all the sappy stories, why did he have to have a sorceress for a sister?

"What happened to your sister? Was she turned over to the authorities, or did you manage to fail capturing her? And, think carefully, were there any designs on the blue robe this man wears, any symbol or jewelry of note?"

As he waits for the answer, he strokes his chin and ponders what to do with this knight. We could leave him, but he would die if left untended out here. He's not worth saving...or is he?

"We have your life in our hands, and we could choose to let you live or die. Renounce the king, and swear loyalty to us. If we are convinced, your life may yet have purpose. If not, then, at best, you will be a crippled ex-guard for the rest of your life. At worst, death by abandonment. We feed you to the wolves."

Temotei
2010-03-22, 10:27 PM
Or worse.

Raina's eyes glint with eager anticipation.

And your wife could come in handy. She's not dead, is she?

FlamingKobold
2010-03-23, 11:48 AM
"I'm I'm more than happy to help you if you can stop the pain. You seem to be powerful and popular enough to help my family. Please, that's all I really want. All I saw was the blue robe. But I'm pretty sure he went into the inn, I'm sure you guys can find him." His breathing gets even heavier.

VinGoodman
2010-03-23, 03:08 PM
The inn! How did I miss him? Looking to Raina, he nods. "Let's go catch a bigger fish."

Turning back to the knight, he spoke solemnly. "This is your first task. Fight hard to stay alive. If you can do that much, when we take care of this blue robed man, we will return and see what we can do for you. Until then, show us why it would be worth having you on our side."

With a brief arcane utterance that caused the spiked chain to glow momentarily, Drem is off and racing toward the inn.

FlamingKobold
2010-03-24, 09:43 PM
The man nods and closes his eyes, trying to fight through the pain. As you run inside, you see a large mass of people. These people are very diverse, as you see fighters, merchants, arcanists, and even just some weary travelers. One man is sitting at the bar, laughing with some friends with a wine in his hand. He happens to be the only person on the room with a blue robe on.

Temotei
2010-03-24, 10:05 PM
As much as I'd love to just...kill him...let's make sure the knight didn't make a mistake. He seemed pretty incompetent.

Raina, closely following Drem, walks straight toward the robed man, smiling her sweetest smile in her arsenal.

Well, well! Aren't you a cute one? What's your name, hon?

FlamingKobold
2010-03-24, 10:22 PM
The man turns towards Raina, and immediately smiles back upon seeing her. "My name is Elric, Master Evoker. May I have your name, miss?"

VinGoodman
2010-03-24, 10:26 PM
As Raina engages the man in conversation, Drem gets a drink from the bartender, and waits for a signal from Raina.

Temotei
2010-03-24, 11:27 PM
She brushes her hair out of her eyes, forcing them to twinkle by creating a miniscule tear in her eye.

Evoker? I could be called such, as well. Mice in ice, pyre of fire, wall of wind, force of course, right?

My name is Raina.

As she finishes her last line, she leans in a bit closer to Elric.

FlamingKobold
2010-03-25, 10:32 PM
Elric laughs a bit at Raina's poem and smiles at her. "Ah, really? Where do you come from? And have you ever had a tutor in magic or just a natural gift?" he asks.

Temotei
2010-03-25, 11:17 PM
I'm from Greyvale. Most of the spellslinging "masters" there only taught through rigorous training, so I had to learn myself. Not that I couldn't have taken them on!

At this, Raina smiles with intense fire in her eyes, but it's not anger--it's pride.

I taught myself. I wouldn't mind a tutor though...

She leans a bit closer.

Now! Are you going to keep a lady standing?

FlamingKobold
2010-03-27, 09:58 PM
"Greyvale,eh? I was there a few years back for a brief stay," He says thoughtfully. He then quickly pulls out the chair beside himself and says, "Sit, please. Now, I wouldn't mind helping you with anything. I have been around the country at all sorts of arcane sanctums."

Temotei
2010-03-27, 10:25 PM
Mmm...I could use some help. First, who are these men? It's not polite of me to just walk up and stall them, now is it?

Raina pauses for a moment, noticing one of the guys not listening, but instead staring at her bust.

Excuse me?

No response.

...melarn.

Under the table, a small acid ball flies into the man's boot, sinking in and burning his foot. Watching him spring up from the table, Raina smiles.

Ah...that's better. Now, who are the rest of these gentlemen?

Acid splash was cast at the man's foot. If I can, I'm going to take minimum damage on the roll and choose not to add my warmage edge to it, dealing one acid damage to the bust-starer. :smallamused:

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 01:12 AM
Drem remains silent, nursing a drink nearby as he watches Raina engage the group, one hand maintaining a grip on the chain and ready to put it to use if things get ugly. Ah, the memories, he thought to himself as he unconsciously looks to his own foot, as if that little bit of acid was cast upon his foot instead. Seems like only yesterday when I were in his shoes. He smiles as the events unfolded, and keeps watch.

FlamingKobold
2010-03-29, 07:34 PM
The rest of the men laugh at the guy that Raina hit with acid. He gets up from the table and walks away, annoyed. Elric, after recovering from the laughter, points to each man in turn. "This is Aaron, a fellow arcanist who specializes in summoning. We've been friends for a good 15 years. This is Beren. He doesn't use magic, but he's a good friend and a master in a swordfight." Both men nod to Raina as they are introduced. "Oh, and the man you just hit with the acid? That was George. Hedabbles in magic, but he's really more of a sneaky fellow. Disguises, bluffs, lots of connections, You know."

VinGoodman
2010-03-29, 09:58 PM
Satisfied that there are no other danger here in the tavern, Drem finally speaks up. He turns to the bartender as he finishes the drink before him, "Do you know of anyone here who can tend to some wounds? We may have been a little...rough, with that poor knight out there. I happen to have some more use for him, and would prefer that he be in better shape than he is now."

Temotei
2010-03-30, 01:18 AM
Swords and summoning, eh? Add on top of that a ready-man and an evoker and you've got quite the team. I bet you've had quite the adventurous tale before.

Raina thinks for a moment before saying more.

Tell me, Elric. Are you adventurous enough to consider...doing me a...favor?

The woman's expression changes to one of curiosity, suggestive and serious at the same time.

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 12:57 PM
As Drem finished his question, he spotted a small drawf heading out the back door. Could it be? "Is that Drovack the Stout I see? One moment while I have a word with you!" Before the dwarf had a chance to escape, Drem rushes by to join him, ushering him out the door as they went. Before the door closes, Drem's voice drifts back into the inn. "Heading out to take care of our knight problem, Raina. I'll be back shortly."

"So Drovack, you still remember that little bet you lost to me last time we shared a drink here? Yeah, I admit it was a lucky strike. But, you were on the floor, luck or no luck." Ignoring Drovack's prostestations, Drem continued. "Say, listen, instead of the gold, I thought may be you can do me a favor instead. You know that knight the lot of you subdued before we arrived? Well, Raina....we were a little rough with the poor fool, and he is in need of some care. If you can take care of him for us. No, not kill him. Heal him, actually. Why? I want to see if we can make good use of him, that's why." As the dialogue continued, Drem expertly guided Dravock to where the knight lay, hurting.

Temotei
2010-04-01, 10:53 PM
I...

Raina raises an eyebrow, narrows her eyes, then raises her other eyebrow.

Hearing Elric ask about this "knight problem," Raina lets the first thing popping into her mind roll off her tongue.

A client that got a little too...frisky, if you know what I mean. Perhaps you'd like to see his current status?

Raina slowly puts her arm around Elric's back in a friendly manner so as not to alarm him, leading him toward the door. Thinking for a moment, she thought overdoing it might be just the answer right now, since the evoker's friends didn't seem to like the idea of a somewhat strange woman taking their squishy mage out back.

Winking at each of the men in turn, she replied to the protests.

You're next.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-04, 08:46 PM
I know I posted last friday... Ergh. Sorry about that one, guys. No idea what happened, and then I had to do Easter festivities....

Drem:

Dravock at first is quite hesitant, and as Drem leads him out the door he finally starts putting up with it, not really seeing Drem dropping it in the near future. "Why do you need him?" he asks, sighing, "And-" you turn the corner and the knight comes into sight, "and- what the hell happened to him?" He turns to Drem, looking horrified. "Did you do this?" Dravock asks, pointing to the bleeding man.

Raina:

After Raina makes her promise, they all look excited and grin at her. Elric walks with her, and holds it open. "After you," he says courteously, motioning for her to go first.

Temotei
2010-04-04, 08:51 PM
You truly are a gentleman! Thank you.

Raina casually straps on her punching dagger, but conceals it under her clothing. She finishes her stroll with Elric a short distance from a line of sight to Drem.

Now...you may recognize this man. Play along, now! Hehe.

VinGoodman
2010-04-04, 08:58 PM
Drem chooses to ignore the question, knowing any explanation here would only complicate things. "Well, he's not having a great day, that much is obvious. But, things are about to look up for him, I think. I'm about to use up one of my greatest resources at my disposal - a favor owed me by you, on him. I'd say after this, he owes me one."

Ignoring the incredulous look from Dravock at such twisted logic, Drem continues. "You know, I don't think he can survive much longer. I was hoping to heal and convert him, but I could always just put him out of his misery..."

FlamingKobold
2010-04-04, 10:46 PM
Temotei:

Do you take him within view of the knight?

Drem:

Dravock, shaking in fear, throws one last frightened glance towards Drem before hastily kneeling besides the wounded knight. He takes out all sort of bandages and cloths, trying to repair as much damage as possible. He does this all with shaking hands and looking very, very nervous.

Temotei
2010-04-04, 11:24 PM
Raina throws a gold piece to make it appear as if she drops it behind Elric.

Oh! Could you pick that up, gentleman?

While he's distracted, she peeks around the corner at Drem and the knight, noticing the healer's work is underway.

Come. Follow me.

Raina strolls over to Drem's side, far enough to keep it professional, but close enough to whisper.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-05, 12:00 AM
"I'd be more than happy to, Raina," Elric says, grabbing the coin. As he follows you around the corner, he sees the knight. He looks disgusted, stops and asks, "What happened here?" while looking around.

Temotei
2010-04-05, 12:50 AM
Raina smiles, perhaps a bit...sadistically.

Go check if you're curious.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-05, 09:06 PM
"Did- did you do this?" he asks, taking a step back. Elric then takes few steps towards the knight on the ground, watching Dravock do his best to fix the man up.

VinGoodman
2010-04-05, 09:47 PM
"Please don't interrupt. Dravock is at work here." Drem scolds the approaching man, and then turns his attention back to Alric. "Hang in there Sir Alric. We're going to make things right, and I'm glad you're going to be able to help us. So, just make it through this, and we can get moving. We'll start by making sure Jaina is ok. Don't you worry."

Then, turning to Dravock, he speaks with a lowered tone. "Will he make it? How much rest will he need before he can be moved?"

Temotei
2010-04-05, 10:07 PM
Raina smiles as Drem puts down Elric's question, taking her off the hot spot.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-07, 10:28 PM
Dravock looks at the Knight with a practiced eye. He then turns around and says, "I'd say he has a fair chance of making it. He seems like a fit lad. You two should be able to move him in the morning, but don't expect him to be walking on his own. He's going to need care for about a week, if you can manage it."

Temotei
2010-04-07, 11:03 PM
Of course we can manage it. Hopefully, he can too.

Raina sets her hand lightly on Elric's back, pushing him toward the knight.

If he resists, she puts her other hand toward him (the one with the blade attached to her wrist) and threatens him.

[roll0]

You did this. I did this. It doesn't matter. If you don't go over there, you won't have a spine by the time I'm done with you. This blade's not just for show.

If he doesn't resist and just walks over with her, she just keeps her smile.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-11, 08:53 PM
Elric goes with Raina. He begins to protest, but after her words of caution, he decides that that course of action is probably not in his best interest. He'll let her lead him wherever she wants him to go, with little complaint.

VinGoodman
2010-04-19, 01:44 AM
"If a week is what he needs, then a week is what he'll get. You said he's a fit lad? Think he can handle being moved back into the tavern and upstairs into a room?"

Turning to the languishing knight, he asks, almost sincerely, "How are you holding up there? We do have a few more questions." He smiles wryly as he wipes the cold sweat off the knight's brows. The moment would be touching, were it not for what transpired earlier to put the man in the current predicament. "Don't worry. These questions won't put your life in jeopardy. Well, not any more than your new allegiance would. You're one of us now. Right?"

Temotei
2010-04-19, 01:49 AM
Before the knight answers, Raina chimes in.

Indeed he is.

As Elric shuffles slightly, Raina pushes her punching dagger up to his back to make him stand stiffly.

You'll follow us as well; we can use you for now.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-19, 06:28 PM
Dravock carefully considers, then replies, "Yeah, I think so. So long as you don't throw him or drop him it'll be fine." He thinks for a moment before adding, "Though I think it might be a good idea to wait until people are to bed so no one sees. He sure ain't a pretty sight."

The knight, his eyes closed, responds to Drem's question with an affirmative grunt, then mutters, "Of course."

Elric, still slightly freaked out, asks, "What do you mean by 'use'?"

Temotei
2010-04-19, 09:43 PM
The warmage winks at Elric, pushing her head far enough ahead so that he can see her.

Oh, the usual stuff.

VinGoodman
2010-04-20, 10:48 PM
As Dravock tends to Sir Alric, Drem turns his head to Elric and smiles. "How's our friend Elric doing?"

He notices his stomach growling as he banters with Raina, and looks up to notice it's likely about dinner time. He decides to wait a bit longer with the hunger for now.

Temotei
2010-04-20, 10:53 PM
His courage is a bit...lacking. Perhaps we should steel him?

There is a glint in Raina's eye as she says this. She ***** her head and raises an eyebrow, looking at Elric.

Take Alric to a room and comfort him, dwarf, if you will. Drem and I have some questions to ask this fine gentleman.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-22, 05:45 PM
Dravock agrees, grabs the knight, and waddles inside as quietly as he can. He then proceeds to take the knight up the staircase and disappears from view.

Meanwhile, Elric is quiet frightened. He has just seen the status of the last person Raina dealt with and wasn't too keen to follow suit.

Temotei
2010-04-22, 11:09 PM
Relax. You can tense up later. I won't kill you yet.

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 11:22 PM
Drem smiles at Raina. "I'll go grab some food for us. You must be famished. RED wine?"

Turning to Elric, he offers a friendly bit of advice. "Be careful out here. I hear wild animals roam these parts at night. You never know what she...they might do if you anger them."

FlamingKobold
2010-04-23, 03:36 PM
Neither of your comments are all that comforting, and Elric tenses up even more. At this point you can quite clearly see that he's panicked about his safety. However, he manages to force out a stuttered, "O-okay, then."

Temotei
2010-04-23, 03:41 PM
Let's cut to the chase. The empire has been taken over by a mage-hating bastard and we want this problem fixed. Alric, the knight you saw, is now a friend of ours. He said you attacked him, weakening him enough so that the people could leave him to us when we arrived. I hurt him, the dwarf is helping him, and we want you to help us.

Drem, any requests for specific help?

The whole time, Raina's big orange orbs are staring straight into Elric's eyes. As she says "the dwarf," her eyebrow twitches.

VinGoodman
2010-04-23, 04:36 PM
Drem has just returned with a plate of bread and cheese and an open bottle of red wine when the question came flying at him.

"Do you have contacts in the capital? We're thinking about paying the city a visit, and it wouldn't do not to have friends to visit there, don't you think? You could come with us personally, but as you can expect, it may not be too good for your health. I think a letter of recommendation from you should be plenty. Raina dear. Some wine?"

Temotei
2010-04-23, 04:38 PM
A little. Thank you.

Raina sips from the wine and takes a bite of the cheese.

I agree. Write it for us and we'll be on our way with little or no harm done to you. Probably.

She winks.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-23, 06:50 PM
"I don't know anyone that lives in the capital all that well. A few merchants that occasionally pass through there, maybe," Elric says, "But not that many. Plus, I'm in an even worse state than you lot. I'm going to stick with my friends, and our magic is bigger and easier to see." He honestly seems like he's telling the truth about his lack of contacts there. "I really don't wish to accompany you, as we're already on a mission of our own, but i wish you the best of luck. If you succeed, life will be a lot better for the rest of us spell slingers." He seems to be less afraid now, and more hopeful that you'll succeed. He's still a bit wary, however.

VinGoodman
2010-04-24, 12:58 PM
"Safe travels then. I hope the next time our paths crosses, the world will be a better place for the likes of us." Drem smiles sadly at those words. ...likes of us.

He turns his back on Elric, seeming to be done with him. He plops himself down on the grass, and stares up into the dark, starry sky while munching on a piece of bread. "Raina, I think I'll stay here for a bit. If you need to rest, we have a room upstairs, courtesy of the proprieter. I'll be there shortly."

Temotei
2010-04-24, 01:04 PM
Dang. Alright--see you later, handsome.

Raina lowers her punch dagger hand and claps Elric on the shoulder lightly.

And umm...sorry about that. I'll get you some new clothes. In the meantime, pretend you just "had some fun" out here. Ruffle your hair a bit...yeah. Like that. Now tear your clothing...yep. Okay then. That's better. Your friends don't need to know about this.

The warmage walks back into the inn and up to the room Drem was talking about, plopping onto the bed without taking any clothes off. She stays awake, however.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-29, 08:26 PM
I was sure I'd posted... argh. Sorry bout that.

In the morning, as you wake up and go downstairs Elric approaches you gingerly. "I know this is probably not the best plan for the purpose of my physical health, but I realized that I may be able to help you. In the city of Arandor, you can find a man by the name of Jaron d'Wynern. Mention my name and ask him about Falau. He'll be able to help you get into the castle. Good luck." After saying all of this, quite quickly, he turns around to walk away.

Temotei
2010-04-29, 08:31 PM
Raina grabs him by the waist and pulls him within range, whispering into his ear.

Thanks, hon.

She smiles and lets go of him.

VinGoodman
2010-04-29, 10:35 PM
Drem wakes...to find the sun bearing down upon him and dew moistening his back and side. Did I fall asleep?

He gets up hurriedly and checks his surroundings, and heads in just in time to catch Raina whispering to Elric. A slight sense of jealousy washes over him, which he dismisses as quickly as it came.

Waving at Raina, he finds an empty table and situates himself as he orders up some eggs and porridge.

Temotei
2010-04-29, 10:49 PM
You look pretty cheery after sleeping wet without me.

Raina winks at him.

Good news, by the way. The evoker directed us to a location and identity. Arandor and Jaron d'Wynern. We're supposed to ask for Falau. Other than that, no information was given. Arandor's a long trip, so we should probably prepare ourselves as much as possible before departure. Plotting our course to avoid loyal towns and cities and stop at less loyal locations will make our little vacation much easier.

Hopefully he wasn't lying.

VinGoodman
2010-04-30, 03:20 AM
Drem flashes her a smile. "Some nights just seem to get away from you. Porridge?"

Drem gives Raina a chance to settle herself into a seat before proceeding. "It will be a long trip indeed. I do believe there's a mining community nearby. Black Hills, if I recall the name correctly. Perhaps we can head there and stock up on provisions before proceeding to the capital."

Temotei
2010-04-30, 03:41 PM
Heh. Only a few dwarves there, too. I'm up for it.

VinGoodman
2010-05-01, 10:41 AM
With the destination decided, Drem finished up the food and gets the horses ready. Before he leaves, he heads upstairs to visit on Sir Alric. "Alric, don't worry, we take care of our own. Did your sister Jaina escape, or has she been captured? Let us know, and we will help her as well."

With the answer in hand, Drem bids Alric farewell for now, promising to come back for him when he is ready for travel.

As he reaches downstairs, he smiles to Raina. "Shall we?" They exist the door, and Drem informs the barternder, "Put it on my tab, and everything Alric needs while we're gone as well. We'll be back to settle the tab once we take care of some business."

Ignoring the grumblings, he heads out, hops on his horse, and rides on to Black Hills.

Temotei
2010-05-02, 01:49 AM
Of course.

Raina follows.

OoC: Not sure what to post here. Just...keeping it alive. :smallamused:

FlamingKobold
2010-05-02, 11:13 AM
Just got back from a 3 day trip to Boston. Posting should be back to normal again.

Alric replies, "Oh, she got away, all right. However, I'm not sure whether she's still safe or not, and I've got no idea where she's gone. Thank you dear boy, best of luck to you."

The barkeep isn't too happy about these arrangements, but trusts you two very much and lets it go, albeit with a few grumbles here and there.

You begin the long ride to Black Hills, which is, even on horseback, a trip that could last over a week. The first few days and nights go smoothly, but the horses and you have eaten quite a bit, and you seem to be lacking on provisions. You ride near the city of Nara, which is built on the river you need to cross. You could ride around Nara, and try to find another bridge, and your supplies would probably last you until the next city. However, you're not sure how long it will take you to come up to another city, and your supplies could run out before then. This is further complicated by the fact that there are guards all around and inside Nara, and getting caught is the last thing you want to happen. So now you face a difficult choice: Get supplies now? Or hope they last you until you find another location to restock?

Temotei
2010-05-02, 12:09 PM
The next town is as likely to have guards as this one. I'm not a wilderness type...maybe we can disguise ourselves a bit and walk through town, changing our appearance constantly so as to take the guards off our trail if anyone follows us.

Even better...let's take out some guards. Their uniforms should let us have free reign wherever we are to go. People don't ask questions when you can put them away for it.

VinGoodman
2010-05-04, 09:40 AM
Drem nods in agreement as he considers the options. "A small patrol would be ideal. If we can find them running solo or in pairs, that would be best." Drem smiles as he spurs the horse on to Nara.

"I think it's time we find some guards and convince them to donate the clothes off their backs to a worthy cause."

Temotei
2010-05-04, 06:43 PM
Indeed. The weapons will be included...something new to play with.

Raina looks at Drem for a moment while riding close to her mare's neck with a playful look on her face--one corner of her mouth curled up and her eyebrows raised.

FlamingKobold
2010-05-04, 06:51 PM
As you get closer to the town, you notice that there are guards all over inside the city, but they are rather sparse outside of its borders. The primary locations that guards are located outside are at the gate, where there are about a dozen, and at the tops of observation posts. These are built outside of the town walls and are one hundred foot tall grey, brick, circular towers. If you want to take on some guards do you go into the city to try to get a pair to a secluded location or go into the towers, hoping there aren't more inside than the three you see at the top of the towers?

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 11:09 AM
As Raina and Drem stay hidden outside and study the guards, Drem takes note of whethere there is any time a small group patrols the outlying area. He also looks to see if there is consistent clothing that would clearly distinguish the guards from the populace.

OOC Drem recognizes that, at their level of power, they likely cannot handle more than 2-3 guards safely. Even three may risk one escaping and warning the others. Furthermore, there are recognition issues here in town. Drem is hypothesizing they may be better served to take down a couple of isolated guards, take their uniform, and use it to get through the next town(s).

Temotei
2010-05-05, 03:45 PM
Ah, man. I'm hungry. Let's hurry up and beat something.

Raina straps on her punch dagger, making sure it's nice and tight against her wrist.

Maybe we can lure some guards out here. A little trick of the light or...lightning could lure them.

VinGoodman
2010-05-05, 04:03 PM
Drem looks over at Raina, who is clearly eager for action. Why deny her the fun? It has been a rough few days since that morning for her...for us. Drem unhooks his spiked chain and commands it to bend to his will with an arcane incantation. He looks over to Raina and smiles. "You ready to stir up the hornet's nest?"

Temotei
2010-05-05, 04:24 PM
I'm ready to get stung.

Raina winks at Drem, leaving her statement ambiguous.

FlamingKobold
2010-05-08, 12:28 AM
So which guards are you luring and how?

Temotei
2010-05-18, 07:55 PM
Raina charges the front gate, screaming and yelling random gibberish. She then turns, going in another direction, hoping Drem will know what to do.

Arrawlawraprograspatriliaspaerowat!

VinGoodman
2010-05-19, 01:51 PM
With the spiked chain at the ready, Drem studies the reactions of the guards to see how eager they are to leave their post.

Temotei
2010-05-19, 03:42 PM
OoC: Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps a Bluff check will help. And Intimidate in a taunting fashion.

Bluff: [roll0]
Intimidate: [roll1]

FlamingKobold
2010-05-19, 11:43 PM
OOC: Well... that wasn't the plan I expected :smalltongue:

The guards, following protocol, get into a phalanx formation and holding longswords at the ready. However, the insane sounding shriek and the look of utter determination cracked several. In mid charge, four of the guards turn around and bolt, trying to get as far away from you as possible.

Temotei
2010-05-20, 12:00 AM
Raina stops suddenly, just staring at the remaining guards.

Well? Are you going to test your luck or not? Come on. You can't all be scared of one little girl, can you?

As she says the last bit, a bit of fire lights up around her hand and she brings up her punching dagger, pointing it at the nearest guard.

VinGoodman
2010-05-20, 06:52 AM
As the guards crack and run, Drem takes the opportunity to charge forth and strike with his spiked chain!

ooc Spiked Chain attack from 10' away (proficient due to Master's Touch)
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

AC -2 from charge until next round.

FlamingKobold
2010-05-20, 03:20 PM
After Raina's banter some of them shift and shuffle a bit, restlessly wanting to attack but knowing better. Drem's chain flashes out and rebounds off of the edge of one of their shield, at which point they decide to go on the offensive.

Temotei
2010-05-25, 12:45 AM
Aw, yeah. That's right. Come to Mama.

Raina moves next to Drem, brushing him with her fingertips. The sorcerer suddenly grows to twice his normal size, his equipment following suit.

Effects: Raina casts enlarge person on Drem after moving close enough.

VinGoodman
2010-05-25, 10:57 AM
Feeling the effect of the spell, Drem grins evilly and keeps the chain moving before him in a steady motion, poised to strike.

ooc If we are in combat mode, is it our turn or theirs?"

FlamingKobold
2010-05-25, 07:13 PM
The guards decide to attack. Roll for initiative.

Temotei
2010-05-25, 08:38 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

VinGoodman
2010-05-25, 09:38 PM
ooc Initiative [roll0]

FlamingKobold
2010-05-26, 11:48 PM
OOC

You guys go first.

Temotei
2010-05-26, 11:59 PM
Seeing the guards ready to attack, Raina quickly moves forward, her hands on fire. The flames seem to flare out of her bright orange eyes, scarily enough.

Burn, men. It's a bad idea to group up, you know.

Raina's hands launch up into a combined open palm, fire practically spraying from them.

Rolls: [roll0]

VinGoodman
2010-05-27, 09:38 PM
Drem, in his enlarged state, grins as he lashes out with the spike chain at one of the guards. He maintains a small distance (15') from the guards, forcing them to choose how to confront the two of them without exposing themselves to the menacing chain.

ooc Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Information of interest:
Large, 10x10, reach 15' with spiked chain.
STR 20/DEX 16
HP 9
AC 15
Melee Spiked Chain +4 DMG 2d6+7 (reach 15', disarm +2, trip)

Edited to add: That's actually Attack=21 (should have been +4 instead of +5)

VinGoodman
2010-05-27, 09:43 PM
AoO against the first guard that attempts to approach them.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

FlamingKobold
2010-05-31, 12:42 AM
Drems chain rips through a guards armor and he drops to the ground, clutching his shoulder. The remaining guards charge Drem, seeing him as the bigger threat.* As they approach, his chain whips out once more, and another guard falls. They swing their swords, trying to hack away at your lower waist and legs, as that's all that they can really reach, but only one draws blood.

*pun somewhat intended :smalltongue:

Drem take 7 damage

Temotei
2010-05-31, 12:51 AM
That wasn't very nice, man. I'll have to clean that up later, you know? Blood stains.

Raina moves up to the man, practicing her punch until she gets close enough for a real blow. Then she stares at him, not attacking.

Have you ever tried cleaning blood stains? It's a lot of work. You're going to have to try later. Well...you would have had to. I'm sorry for this, but my rather large friend is going to have to tear your head off and feed it to your...well...you can guess.

Roll: Intimidate: [roll0]

Actions: Move forward to be within melee range of the man, then demoralize with Intimidate.

VinGoodman
2010-05-31, 06:22 PM
Smarting from the pain, Drem grits his teeth and keeps the chain moving as it lashes back out at the remaining guards.

Attack 1d20+4
Damage 2d6+7

Information of interest:
STR 20/DEX 16
HP 2/9
AC 15

VinGoodman
2010-05-31, 06:23 PM
OOC Sorry, wrong tags.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Information of interest:
STR 20/DEX 16
HP 2/9
AC 15

FlamingKobold
2010-06-01, 11:49 PM
Once more Drem's chain strikes with deadly accuracy as the man falls backwards before hitting the wall with a dull thunk. One guard, frightened of Raina's threats, turns around and runs, and the last one decides to join him. The head into the city crying "Wizard! Mad Wizards" and "Run! They'll kill us all!"

Temotei
2010-06-02, 12:17 AM
Raina claps Drem lightly on the back.

That went fairly well, actually. You take this guy's whole uniform and get dressed behind that building over there. I'll take this one's and go...there.

She points directly at a tavern.

A moment later, Raina is jogging lightly toward the tavern, hoping to go inside and have many patrons watching.

VinGoodman
2010-06-02, 06:56 AM
Shaking his head as he watches Raina saunter off, Drem searches through the bodies for valuables and gears before taking the other uniform and heading behind the building as directed. Shortly thereafter, he comes around in guard garb, and heads toward the tavern as he wonders if Raina will be rejoining him out here or if he'll need to go in and get her...

Temotei
2010-06-02, 04:29 PM
A ruckus sounds from the tavern. Men's voices rise above even the normal tavern's volume. Cheering? Screaming? It's hard to tell with all the yelling and indecipherable words.

Inside: Inside, Raina's original clothes lie on the floor. All the men are staring at her as she gets dressed from a completely naked state.

Once dressed, she addresses the whole tavern's population.

Any of you feel like joining me and a friend for a stroll through the town? I'll take four! I can handle that.

She winks to the general audience, leaning forward to put her hands on her knees while doing so.

Raina comes out of the tavern with four men in tow, all towering over her.

VinGoodman
2010-06-05, 03:45 PM
With a grin at the typically outlandish antics only Raina can pull off, Drem joins the group as they enter town to gather some goods and information before continuing on with their journey.

Temotei
2010-06-05, 03:57 PM
Raina hooks Drem's arm, bringing him into the circle of men so as to hide him as well.

So, boys, I hear there's an excellent merchant around here that works with "exclusive" goods. Tell me, where can I find such a man?

Roll: Bluff: [roll0]

OoC: Raina's totally lying right now. She's never heard of any merchant of the sort. But if she can find anyone fitting any description close to that, the guys could lead her to a trade square or something of the like, which would be excellent.