PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Power Attack [3.5]

penbed400
2010-02-15, 11:16 PM
So I hear that the only way to deal real damage with a melee character is by becoming a two handed wielding, frenzzied berzerking, leap attack, shock trooper, power attacker. Where is the build for this? I mean I know it utilizes all of these feats but is there an optimization thread? I'm sure they've already explored this avenue before and perfected it or at least gotten close. Can I have a link or something please? Thanks to anyone who helps.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-15, 11:25 PM
So I hear that the only way to deal real damage with a melee character is by becoming a two handed wielding, frenzzied berzerking, leap attack, shock trooper, power attacker. Where is the build for this? I mean I know it utilizes all of these feats but is there an optimization thread? I'm sure they've already explored this avenue before and perfected it or at least gotten close. Can I have a link or something please? Thanks to anyone who helps.

Google übercharger, and you are mistakenm you can deal damage in other ways apart from Power atttack, person man has some excelent threads concerning this.

Also there are good build for damage dealing, for example Flaming Homer, and king of Pong.

Pluto
2010-02-15, 11:30 PM
Hm. The original threads seem to have been eaten by website overhauls.

Basically, the idea in most of these builds is to multiply power attack returns as much as possible.

So, like you mention, the Frenzied Berserker PrC (CWar) and the Leap Attack feat (CAdv) are almost always going to be involved.

Other multipliers may include Pounce, Valorous Weapons (UE), the Battle Jump feat (UE), the Headlong Rush feat (RoF), Spirited Charge and the Rhino's Rush spell (SpC).

Once all these are accounted for, the trick is to ensure that the attacks all land. As you mention, Shock Trooper (CW) is a pretty standard way of doing this. Others may include turning all attacks into touch attacks (via routes like SpC's Wraithstrike spell) or boosting non-BA attack values to the high heavens.

But these aren't "the only way to do real damage" and combining them is overkill in almost any circumstance. It's typically better to grab a couple of these and to diversify a character's abilities than to go into TO to out-damage the Ubercharger.