PDA

View Full Version : GWA mk III Fight 20

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 01:43 AM
Michael of the Waste vs. Sote'

A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
Michael of the Waste, Sote'. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves! With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena (http://excessivefreetime.org/arena/arena4.html)

OOC:
You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs (10ft, Climb DC20, blocks LoS). Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

Starting Positions:
Michael of the WasteHorizontal axis [roll0]
Vertical axis [roll1]
Sote'Horizontal axis [roll2]
Vertical axis [roll3]

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 01:44 AM
Disregard the messed up position rolls from before...

Starting Positions:
Michael of the WasteHorizontal axis [roll0]
Vertical axis [roll1]
Sote'Horizontal axis [roll2]
Vertical axis [roll3]

Eurus
2010-02-16, 02:08 AM
Michael of the Waste

The man who appears to challenge Sote' looks decent enough, but nothing special. In fact, upon closer inspection he doesn't even seem to be holding a weapon. It is the beast on which he rides that is terrifying -- an enormous creature, like a purple worm but smaller. It is eyeless, but it seems to stare at Sote' intelligently. Then it speaks, in a rumbling voice. "Good luck."

[roll0]

Pre-match actions:
Mounting my Ashworm, and hiding behind my tower shield. I thought before that there was a rule forbidding tower shield usage while mounted, but I can't find it anywhere, so I'm hoping I imagined it.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 02:39 AM
Sote'

A beady-eyed, fox-like creature stares over at his new opposition and gives a quick salute before speaking an ancient word. His outline and then his whole body fades, and you see nothing more as the room fades and we both arrive in the arena.

Prematch Actions:

Standard: Activate Ring of Invisibility
Swift: While invisible, Wildshape into a Roc.

Initiative: [roll0]

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 02:41 AM
You go first, then.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 02:53 AM
Okay, so I'm assuming you're invisible right now and not ethereal or something worse. Are you touching the ground right now (the Deathworm has tremorsense)? Alternately, it can probably find you with a spot check if you're within line of sight; the DC to notice the presence of an invisible creature that's standing still is a DC 30, and pinpointing what square it's in is +20 for a total DC of 50. So I'll roll spot as a reactive action...

[roll0]

EDIT: Forgot to specify, Michael and the worm currently occupy O-1, O-2, P-1, P-2. Are you within LoS or touching the ground within 60 feet?

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 01:54 PM
If I was on the ground you would be able to sense me with tremorsense, yes, but I am not. You do not have LoS right now, so the spot check fails.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 02:00 PM
Alrighty then.

Burrowing 25 feet underground and 55 feet east. Michael activates his Third Eye Sense, to create a clairvoyant sensor on the ceiling of T-21.

Your turn. Can you be seen from the ceiling (60 feet up) of square T-21?

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 02:08 PM
Nevermind. Edited actions to follow.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 02:26 PM
10 feet, it looks like.

EDIT: But no special vision modes currently, and no massive spot checks. So if you are invisible, I don't think I can see you.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 02:33 PM
My turn actions:
Spot check: [roll0]
Listen check: [roll1]

Do I spot you, and if so, where?

My turn may or may not be over.

Edit: Oh, and you don't see me.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 02:34 PM
Nope, you don't see me.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 02:42 PM
In that case,

Fly to P14, 40 feet high and keep a watch out for my opponent.

Your turn.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 04:58 PM
Hmm... alright, the worm's head suddenly sticks up from the ground in O/P-12/13 and looks around. You within LoS now?

[roll0]

Turn not done.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 09:16 PM
Oh, hey. Yes, you have LoS, and that spot check detects Sote' at P14, 40 feet high.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 09:38 PM
And I'm sure I get a reactive spot check for that... [roll0]

Eurus
2010-02-16, 09:50 PM
I'm not invisible or hiding right now, since I don't have any sort of cover or concealment, so you definitely see me. :smallwink:

So, 40 feet high, huh? Alright, I go back underground.
15 feet under, this time. And then a swift action to activate Travel Devotion.

Your turn! :smallbiggrin:

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 10:26 PM
I don't like that smile...

Turn actions:
Upon seeing Michael disappear back into the ground, wildshape into a Corpse Tearer Linnorm and fly to R12, still 40 feet high. Keep a sharp eye on the spot where he disappeared, and ready an action to snatch the man off of his mount if they surface.

Your turn.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 10:46 PM
Hmm, I think I actually need one more round of prep before I can take the fight to you.

Activating Travel Devotion, and the worm is readying an action to attack if Sote' attacks Michael or his mount.

Your turn again.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 10:49 PM
Okay.

I retain my readied action.

Your turn.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 10:57 PM
Suddenly, the worm pops back out of the ground in the same spot -- but this time, it sports a set of ghostly wings. (Not even close to finished)

So, where are you? I can roll if you want, but I should see you on a 3 or better...

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 11:08 PM
Well I'm still invisible, but you pinpoint me at R12, still 40 feet high. But you emerging triggers my readied action.

Suddenly you feel a rush of wind as a huge creature dives toward you and attacks Michael (concealment from the worm or other means nothing, blindsight makes that irrelevant).

Bite attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Claw 1 attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Claw 2 attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

And, if any of those hit: grapple check to snatch you into the air: [roll6]

...And I believe I have forgotten to mention my animal companion this whole time. My bad. He's a dire lion, and still in my starting position (E11). Sorry about that. :smallredface:

Eurus
2010-02-16, 11:13 PM
Fair enough, but Michael is currently using his tower shield for total cover, so each of those attacks have a 50% miss chance. Any that pierce the miss chance hit, though, and he can't beat that grapple check.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 11:17 PM
Alright.

Miss on a 1: [roll0]
Miss on a 1: [roll1]
Miss on a 1: [roll2]

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-16, 11:19 PM
So the bite and the first claw hit, and you are snatched into the air by what is revealed to be a serpentine creature with a shaggy, ferocious head. You may resume your turn, since you still had actions left.

Eurus
2010-02-16, 11:46 PM
You're ending your movement right next to the flying worm? Alright then. Both you and the worm should be at or near ground level, since you went for Michael as soon as he popped up.

Since it can no longer trample you, the worm will instead simply attempt to smack you senseless with its tail-stinger:

Activating Robilar's Gambit and power attacking for 30 points. If the second attack hits, I'll use Knockback to make a free bull rush attempt to send you flying straight up. I'm not sure how that affects your grapple, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that Michael just goes with you unless you know of a rule that addresses the situation.

[roll0]; [roll1]
[roll2]; [roll3]
[roll4]

(EDIT: Oh, I forgot to explain, the reason the worm gets a full attack is because he moved as a swift action with Travel Devotion, not a normal move action.)

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-17, 12:04 AM
I do not know, but neither attack hits. Since that was a full attack, I assume your turn is over?

Eurus
2010-02-17, 12:17 AM
Impressive, I didn't realize your AC had gotten boosted so much. Also, you reminded me that I definitely need to invest in a ring of Freedom of Movement. Anyway, go ahead.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-17, 12:28 AM
Thanks. Natural armor bonuses are great.

For his move, Sote' flies to E13 (your worm's LoE should now be blocked by the cliff), attacking Michael once he gets there. (Dropped to 5 feet above the ground, by the way.)

Bite attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Claw 1 attack: [roll2]

Claw 2 attack: [roll4]

Tail slap attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the cover from the shield anymore, but just in case:

Miss on a 1: [roll8]
Miss on a 1: [roll9]
Miss on a 1: [roll10]
Miss on a 1: [roll11]

Eurus
2010-02-17, 12:33 AM
Hmm, Mike's nearly dead. Well, it takes the worm two moves to get to you (a swift action and a move action), leaving him with one standard. And I suppose he'll use it to try and grapple you.

[roll0]
Grapple check automatically succeeds, since you're already grappling.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-17, 12:54 AM
Hm. I'm honestly not sure how that works, with multiple grapples going on at once. Do I still get to attack you while being grappled?

Eurus
2010-02-17, 11:37 AM
Oh, that's annoying. I thought that you had to beat all of your opposing grapplers to accomplish something, but it looks like you just have to beat one. Well there's not much point in doing that, then... well, doesn't look like there's much that I can do. I'll just try to hit you, I suppose.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-17, 03:38 PM
Hmm, that's a strange rule. Alright then. So no grapple from the worm, just Michael. The worm's attack hits.
Opposed Strength check to avoid being pushed back by the bull rush: [roll0]

Opposed grapple check: [roll1]

First three attacks at Michael.

Bite attack: [roll2]

Claw 1 attack: [roll4]

Claw 2 attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

And tail slap at the worm just in case I managed to crit.

Tail slap attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Eurus
2010-02-17, 03:44 PM
Yeah, Mike's dead. Good match, then; I hadn't really gotten to messing with defensive gear yet, but it's clear that I really need to do so.

Moonlitdreams
2010-02-17, 03:51 PM
Yes, good match. :smallsmile: You made it clear that I need to think about a way to counter an opponent with a ring of freedom of movement, for that matter.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if anyone else is still around for matches.

Eurus
2010-02-17, 03:54 PM
Glad to have been of assistance. :smallbiggrin:

Lyndworm
2010-02-23, 12:07 AM
Match Finalized.

Moonlitdreams/Sote', Victor
Wins 1/Losses 1

Eurus, Victim
Wins 1/Losses 2

Eurus
2010-02-23, 12:24 AM
Uh, I lost that match. :smallconfused:

Lyndworm
2010-02-23, 12:27 AM
Oops... I knew that, but I posted it wrong. Gimme a second...