PDA

View Full Version : Dissent in Faldoria - Chapter 1; A New Beginning

Cuaqchi
2010-02-16, 09:22 AM
The East Gate

The town's battlements were always the worst place to be stuck these days, they were rotting away around your feet and the meals always arrived so late that they were already thickening as the water evaporated out of the stew. As such it was always viewed as punishment for those poor soldiers that recieved the position; outside of Moradain's favour and left for the beasts few lasted very long before they came crawling back to him seeking forgiveness. Today the poor sods stuck in that position were Dakkeus; hier to the Sunblade family title, and a crippled supply clerk who had unwittingly had himself transferred to the guard as a means of breaking the monotany he had found himself in.

The Docks

Standing alongside the little fishing boat as it began unloading its most recent catch Zaybxc was busy as usual. He had done everything he could to be on the docks as these wild elves arrived; a bundle of old iron swords beside his feet and available for trading when the fish had been properly weighed.

The Mess Tent

Moradain sat at his usual spot within the mess, his closed friends gathered with him as he played at another of his games of chance. They were all for the most part enjoying themselves as the gamemaster continued to move the few available coins in Moradain's direction. What was obvious to those around was that like many times before it was only the presence of the gamemaster that kept things from getting out of control. That the Joy Seeker like his servent before them was favoured by their leader was also not a surprise, for with them present no one could honestly declare Moradain a cheat.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-17, 11:04 AM
Samuel stands there, holding onto his cane with all his might. His good leg shakes occasionally, where his wooden peg seems securely fastened to the ground. His heavy gear seems to be a bit much- his shovel and mug are to be on the ground, and his tent and a few other small items look as if they are actually hovering alongside his gear.

Then he turns to Dakkeus, and smiles. His eyes, more specifically his pupils, seem to be glowing a vibrant emerald. shade. "Nothing beats an honest day of work, eh?" He says, in a non-sarcastic tone.

Allomancer
2010-02-17, 12:41 PM
The Sunblade heir stands perfectly still and ramrod straight with hands resting atop the ornate hilt of a blade on either hip - the right hand atop a longer blade and the left atop a shorter one. He carries the great pack on his back as easily as he would a silk cape, which would not be out of place given his bearing. He nods to his companion, a small smile on his lips, golden eyes nearly shining they were so clear. "Indeed, friend! At least we cannot be called craven or undutiful, hm?" he inquires as his smile widens.

I will not allow him to best me! He is my superior, but I will not give him the satisfaction of seeing me crawl as those others have before me! Dakkeus' smile does not waver, though inside he nearly seethed with outrage.

korvac42
2010-02-17, 01:20 PM
Zaybxc approached the elves with a genuine smile on his face and empty hands palm up and open, in a display of friendship.

(Elven) "Hail, friends, and welcome again to the city of Hope. I am Zaybxc. I see that Fayrwin has blessed you once again! Such fine fish... catfish, and is that bass? Such a harvest will surely win you many a fine blade this day. Blades which may help you win against enemies which plague both our peoples!"

"But please, let me not forget my manners. I have brought a little bread and cheese to end your hunger and ale to slake your thirst. Speaking of our mutual enemies, what tidings good or ill do you bring from the North and West?

[ooc: if necessary, Persuasion[roll0]]

Jesse Drake
2010-02-17, 01:29 PM
"Non, we cannot." He replies, dropping a few more objects from his back. He combs his dark green hair out of his eyes, then takes a few steps towards his comrade. "Though, one can't help but wonder what lies just outside these walls, eh?" There's a hint of curiousity in his voice, as if he'd actually like to see that. But that aside, he's rather calm and collected.

After a few seconds, he makes it to the man and extends his free hand. "Samuel Ésmeraude- nice to meet you,"

vollmond
2010-02-17, 01:45 PM
Eric

Daydreaming as he ran the game, Eric openly admires the ease with which Commander Skeld is winning. Of all the people in town in whom to find a kindred spirit, who better than the greatest warrior in our midst, the hero of our defense?

During a short break in the game, Eric takes another drink from his mug, then glances down and makes sure his heavy backpack is still leaning against his chair. I don't mind the duties so far -- who knew this was how I'd spend my time? -- but why are we required to keep these useless survival supplies near us all the time? We spend all our time inside the city walls!

"Excellent playing, sir," he says as the commander stands to stretch.

Allomancer
2010-02-17, 01:53 PM
Dakkeus nods and takes the extended hand. "A pleasure! Dakkeus Sunblade," the aasimar - as he clearly is when seen full-on - says brightly. His golden eyes seem to flare as his smile widens and his silvery-blonde hair resembles feathers.

"And I do often wonder what lies beyond. However duty requires me here, so here is where I stand - against fiends or boredom or whatever else," he adds with a wink.

"Do you need assistance with your gear? And what, if you don't mind my asking, got you stuck at this post, Samuel?"

Cuaqchi
2010-02-17, 02:15 PM
The Docks

"Yes, the waters have again provided a great bounty." The lead elf says, stepping on to the dock, and accepting Zaybxc's gift for his small crew. "Though your people seem to consume far more than they provide to this beautiful land."

"Regarding the north we can say little, for our lands are safe and the waters run clear. To the west however trouble seems to be brewing, as the emerald fang tribe continues to raid their neighbours for food and tools. If they come to our home we shall be truely blessed to have such fine crafts as these shining stones to defend ourselves." As he speaks the elf seems to look beyond the town, staring out into the deepest sections of the swamp. "The last I heard of their actions though was a massed raid on the swollen jaw clan, taking those warriors that had not fallen as to give thanks to their master."

The Mess Hall

"One of my best games yet," Moradain says, watching as two of his lieutenants got up to find something a little less expensive to pass the time. "Though I think it is about time I started my rounds of the town. Do you wish to join me?"

vollmond
2010-02-17, 02:26 PM
Eric

"Certainly, sir." Eric looks distastefully at his pack, then quietly sighs and hoists it onto his back. Adjusting his morningstar to hang more comfortably, he steps up next to Moradain to walk with him.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-17, 02:52 PM
Dakkeus nods and takes the extended hand...

"I'm here for a change of pace- I never really got out before." He looks back at his gear. "Um..." He doesn't say anything for a second, then he says. "Well, if you wouldn't be too burdened- I guess I could use a hand."

Allomancer
2010-02-17, 03:02 PM
The honorbound nods and grins. "Shouldn't be too much trouble, especially if I can fit it onto or into my pack without affecting the quick-release." Dakkeus starts quickly and efficiently arranging the items with which Samuel needs help. He talks while he works. "Didn't get out, hm? The guard seems an odd spot for someone with your," he pauses his speech and his work as he looks at the emerald-eyed man and smiles in a friendly manner, "issues? I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend."

Jesse Drake
2010-02-17, 03:12 PM
"Heh, well, this isn't exactly the transfer I expected-" he clears his throat. "And I'm not an extremely religious man, but I'd be a fool to think Railgait would throw me out here if I couldn't handle myself." He hands over a few more items. "Besides... I've got a few talents of my own." You notice that there are two large bulges kinda moving a bit at his sides.

Allomancer
2010-02-17, 03:24 PM
Dakkeus chuckles. "I could certainly understand that. This spot is usually reserved fo-" He cuts himself off just as he starts a word. "Nevermind. We'll just say that we have drawn the short straw for a time, anyway," he adds as his smile returns. It seems not much can affect his temperament for very long. Or he's very good at covering it.

Do not speak ill of your commander, for you never know when it will be your orders others will have to follow without understanding the reasons. The words of Dakkeus' grandfather Cedric echoed within the young man's mind.

He rises and puts the pack back on, shifting slightly until he gets it into a comfortable position with the added weight. His hands return to the hilts of his weapons, but he turns to Samuel and nods. "Railgait, hm? My family are devotees of Kordath," he says as he draws a symbol of the Sword of Light from beneath his armor. "Talent will certainly cover many things, but faith is equally as important." Dakkeus nods to emphasize his point.

korvac42
2010-02-17, 03:34 PM
The Docks

"Our peoples are ill educated in the ancient and wise ways of your peoples. I know that we... well, at least I... am always excited to learn your lore. Your canoe, for instance, it seems to be made of some type of cypress wood, but appears to be one piece, tempered by fire. Marvelous! A simple design, yet look at the strength, the amount of fish you carry! I must visit with your hunters and elders to learn some of their ways someday, Dinari willing"

"The emerald fang tribe... these are orcs from the west? Perhaps you could mark the place on one of my maps. This raiding bodes ill for us all. I will pass this info along to our chief warrior; perhaps our elders will find a way to fight these foul raiders together. The fallen of the Swollen Jaw are to be... " he paused, nervous yet fascinated "... sacrificed to a master? What is this master of which you speak?"

I wish we knew more of the tribes that surround us. Moradain and his unorthodox tactics have kept Last Hope safe for years, but sometimes I think the peoples of this swamp are the best weapon we have available.

Zay helps pull the fish onto the waiting scales, lifting up the stones to balance the weight. After the oscillations have quit and the measurement made he sits cross legged in front of the blades.

"Friend, for this weight of fish you may take four of these shining stones. However, perhaps I may lend you an additional three shining stones, which you may pay for in the future or return on your next visit? I worry that you may have need of them soon. Just... don't mention it to anyone? Oh, and let me show you how to use sand and stones to keep the edges sharp and bright."

Cuaqchi
2010-02-17, 06:39 PM
The Docks

"It would seem you have some of your histories mixed up friend," The elven leader says, smiling behind Zaybxc as he examined the boat. "The emerald fang tribe are lizardfolk, it is the swollen jaw clan that is orc, but I could never tell you where they are on a picture for the distance between tribes is measured in travel time and that changes regarding what method of travel we use. Regarding the sacrifice it is only rumour but it is said that the emerald fang follow a creature unseen by any other species, and that the beast's hunger extends to many more tribes than just theirs."

The leader then moved to examine the swords, handing them between his small crew to determine which blades were preferred for the trade. Once they had made the decision the elves began climbing into their craft looking back to the dark waters as they began paddling back home.

The Mess Hall

Directing Eric out of the tent Moradain waited for everyone to get back to their jobs before he left the tent, looking first eastward toward the rotting gate before deciding to head to the docks and start his patrol on the southern end of town. Moradain had arrived at the dock within time to watch the elves float away in their simple craft armed with the garbage that he had emptied from his officer's quarters and probably willing to feeding his people for materials that were otherwise useless.

"Zaybcx, if you have finished dealing with the barbarians take those fish to the cook. I will want something to eat when I am done with this patrol and some fresh fish will provide a great diversion from the meager rations we have to live with." Moradain's voice is harsh as he calls the man out, expecting that like his fellows he would run to please their master.

korvac42
2010-02-17, 08:13 PM
With fish in hand Zaybxc blurts out at Moradain

"Ser Skeld, if you will pardon my rudeness but our elven friends bring important news... Lizardfolk raiders to the west are capturing people for sacrifice to some nefarious power! Ser, should we not investigate? If we help out we could win great esteem with the local peoples!"

As he finishes his little speech he grandly gestures, with fish scales and river slime flinging out to splatter on Moradain's shoes and Eric's tunic. In the resulting uncomfortable silence mosquitoes buzz and water laps against the dock.

"Ummm... I mean it seems like the right thing to do, Ser."

[ooc: persuasion [roll0]

Jesse Drake
2010-02-17, 08:49 PM
"So, what did you do to get stuck out here?" Heh, a miserable post stuck with the cripple. This must be torture for him. Well, lucky for him, I'm no slouch.

Cuaqchi
2010-02-17, 08:57 PM
"What concern is that supposed to be to me?" Moradain roars, his eyes bearing down on the man that thought he could fight back. "Our weapons shall deal with any lizards as easily as they deal with any other barbarian. Now bring that fish to the cook and then relieve the cripple to the east gate, I do not wish to hear anymore of your whining."

Ignoring any further complaint from Zaybxc, Moradain then turns to continue his rounds. The previously tense mood over having to perform such a menial task had become visible destain for his subordinates.

OOC: Be lucky you rolled so well. Moradain is more than willing to physically remove any insolent behaviour and after splattering fish on him he isn't at all happy. :smallannoyed:

vollmond
2010-02-17, 09:33 PM
Eric

Wow, glad I'm not that guy. Eric keeps close as Moradain stalks off, happy for the moment to stay quiet. His talkativeness finally getting the better of him, he steps up next to the commander. "After ninety years of defending ourselves, why do people think we need to worry about what happens outside the walls?" He idly fingers the ribbed hilt of his morningstar.

Cuaqchi
2010-02-18, 05:27 AM
"I have no idea," Moradin says, trying to think of some way to remove the fish slime that had ended up on him. "It is almost like they wish to become the very barbarians we have had to fight travelling through this endless swamp rather then enjoy our simple lives."

As Moradain and the entourage continued on their circuit around the town they came to the southern gate which like the east gate saw only enough traffic to require guards. When they rounded the corner to check the west gate a sharp horn blast erupted from the gate house, something was happening and as they picked up their pace toward the gate Moradain thought, "That will prove that barbarian loving child to talk back to me. We barely finished talking and these lizards are here to meet their end."

Allomancer
2010-02-18, 10:08 AM
The aasimar continues to smile at Samuel, though there's something a little different in it now. Self-deprecation? "Me? I suppose I'm a little too arrogant and proud for my own good. Our...commander has his own process for dealing with things and I guess I don't fit into it so well. On the plus side, Skeld has kept us together these last twelve years. If only Father weren't debilitated, things might be more orderly and we'd maybe be making progress instead of merely treading wa--" He cuts off as the horn blasts through the still air.

"Which gate was that?" he asks with a look of indecision on his face that quickly changes to one of stern finality. "We'll wait a bit before leaving our post to investigate. In case it's a probing attack elsewhere and something waits for us to depart."

Jesse Drake
2010-02-18, 10:32 AM
"So it seems pride may be partially responsible for both of us being out here." Samuel laughs lightly. "Ha, if I weren't so full of it, I would have turned back- as you can imagine, it's not hard for someone in my situation to back of out situations- but I am proud, so I face the situations head on. What am I supposed to do, die like some lame race horse? Well, I suppose not. But you... ha, you must be some warrior for M. Skeld to be so harsh on ya."

As the horn goes off and Dakkeus speaks, Samuel pulls some string from the sides of his heavy shirt. You see two large emerald objects gleaming from two large tears in the shirt.

Allomancer
2010-02-18, 11:58 AM
"I'll not let you fall while there's breath in my body, Samuel," the honorbound declares firmly. "And as far as my abilities, I think it has more to do with my family and heritage than simply my skill with these blades. My father is-was a far superior combatant before that sickness started sapping his body's strength which has allowed Skeld to take over where my father would have led." Dakkeus shakes his head slowly and sadly.

Intrigued by the emerald flash, Dakkeus looks at his companion a little more closely. "Talents, indeed, my friend. What have you there?"

korvac42
2010-02-18, 12:46 PM
The wet splosh of fish falling against the table is barely heard over the busy din of the kitchen: boilings, simmering, chopping, the banging of pans, and of course the shouting of the cook as he directs the unfortunates who have drawn kitchen duty.

I wonder who Moradain's new favorite was? I can never keep track of these pointless political maneuverings. People seem to spend all their time currying favor with the "nobles" and war captains. It would be more productive if we were exploring the jungle and entreating the natives for alliance. I'd rather sleep in bed with swamp adders the play politics with that lot... but I suppose it is in the blood.

Zay raises his voice to be heard over the din. "Ser Cook, here is the fish from the elves. Did you have a chance to try that herb I found out in the jungle? It looks interesting and I was pretty sure you could whip up some sort of infusion to soothe the stomach. At least, that is what I read in a book last..."

... the thought is cut short as horn blazes in the air.

"Pardon me, duty calls!" He grabs the few remaining rusted blades and nearly knocks a fellow down as he bolts out the door for the east gate.

Cuaqchi
2010-02-18, 07:09 PM
The West Gate

Grabbing Eric by the collar of his armoured jerkin Moradain began rushing to the west gate, bellowing out orders to all those that had not been stationed on the walls already. "Arm yourselves men, crossbows at the ready. We shall repel these creatures like we have all the others, and tonight when we finish the games will be truly grand."

As he reached the gate Moradain finally let go of the gamemaster he had literally been dragging across town as he leapt up the steps to the pallisade. At the top however his mood again became sour, for what he viewed over the sharpened walls was not an attacking force but a collection of orcish women. In their arms were what few young they could carry rather than the trade goods that were often brought to the camp.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-18, 07:33 PM
"I may be slow on foot," He unfurls two large emerald wings, and with that, he kind of eases up on his cane. "But I have other means of getting around... and someday, I'll be able to take to the skies with my own might."

[ooc= I did some number crunching, and figured that this cripple, when running, is a hell of a lot faster than I am... so I figure, for combat and long ranged movement, it wouldn't be too bad to have his wings aid his movement... a small spring let's him move around, not as fast as everyone, but, it wouldn't make him the slowest. He's as fast as a halfling or a gnome in armor.]

Allomancer
2010-02-19, 11:31 AM
Dakkeus nods solemnly before smiling once more. "A sound goal and well said!" He bellows, admiring Samuel's wings. "Shall we hasten to the west gate or bide our time? I think Skeld will yell at us no matter which we choose. But first," he takes a water-smoothed rock from a pouch and holds it in a clasped hand for a moment. Bright light emits from the rock. "Let's see if there's anything out there," he nods beyond the wall and then flings the stone arcing away as far as his impressively muscled arm could manage.

Cast daylight.

Cuaqchi
2010-02-19, 12:02 PM
The East Gate

Skipping across the muck and reeds the stone eventually sank into the mire, its light continued to penetrate the dark, muddy waters but it revealed nothing that could be considered threatening as even the insects ignored the rock's presence.

Allomancer
2010-02-19, 12:07 PM
"I'm satisfied. Let's go!" Dakkeus nods again, grabs his crossbow from its resting place, smartly spins on his heel and leads the way.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-19, 12:10 PM
"We've got orders to stay here." states Samuel. "And I'm not sure if I want my name really being associated with yours in Skeld's eyes." He smiles, clearly saying that part with somewhat of a jovial tone. "But you're a good man, and I'd say I'm a good judge of character. If you decide to leave the post..." He stops for a moment- "I'll go with you. We can face Skeld's wrath together. Besides, I'm sure whatever he has to say about it can wait till after whatever is going on over there is finished."

He's on board, and with a mightly spring, he flings himself forward about fifteen feet, though only leaving the ground by a couple of inches. Then again, another small leap. And on landing, he uses his wings as a partial means of stability.

Allomancer
2010-02-19, 12:19 PM
"That is an impressive means of travel. Would that I had wings!" the honorbound chuckles and follows after his newfound friend. "And I am sure that Skeld will be upset either way. At least this way we're being proactive and we have checked the immediate vicinity for any concerns."

vollmond
2010-02-19, 03:44 PM
Eric

Surprised by how quickly Moradain dragged him off, Eric finally gets his feat under him and keeps up under his own power. Excited at the prospect of some action, he readies his crossbow and charges up on the ramparts after the commander. Seeing the flood of refugees, he stops short, his crossbow hanging limply in his hands. "What the--"

korvac42
2010-02-19, 04:05 PM
As the golden haired man and the emerald-tinged, winged man move down the street a clattering of rocks and splashing of mud is heard echoing off the buildings, becomes louder and louder. Around the corner of one of the roughly hewn town dwellings skitters a young man, eager eyed and a bit skinny... Zaybxc. He has a simple shirt, pants and boots of dun brown, a bevy of tools hanging from his belt, and a pack stuffed just a bit too tightly to carry properly. He pants heavily from running and his platinum blonde hair is wet with sweat.

He doesn't slow down as he skips around the corner, and his foot catches on a rock...

[ooc: Acrobatics [roll0]]

korvac42
2010-02-19, 04:13 PM
...and loses control, tumbling over several times as he bounces through the mud and slides to a stop a few yards from Samuel and Dakkeus.

He props himself out of the muck, wipes his face off, talking to himself for a bit:
What a mess! Oh, did I bend that knife? Damn, I will have to get a new one of those."

He looks up and notices the two standing there.

"Oh! Pardon me! Hail and well met! You can call me Zaybxc, or Zay. I am here to relieve you! Well, here to relieve the... uh... cripple. At least that is what Moradain said. Might I inquire if either of you know who that is?"

Jesse Drake
2010-02-19, 04:19 PM
Samuel doesn't speak- he doesn't have the time, nor the breath. He's "running (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#runx4)" at his fullest-

But he stops for a moment, and reaches down to help Zay. "You could hardly tell I'm the crippled one, eh?" He smiles and extends his hand. "Samuel Ésmeraude,"

Allomancer
2010-02-19, 04:46 PM
Dakkeus' tan face darkens in anger. "He really said that? The lou-" He catches himself and the flush leaves his cheeks. He takes a deep breath and exhales. He nods to the newcomer. "If that's the case, come with me. I am Dakkeus Sunblade. We were headed for the west gate and whatever the alarm is," he looks at Samuel, "although, I'm thinking I was a bit rash in my decision to leave the post now. I will take any blame necessary since you are officially relieved and it was my suggestion." Dakkeus takes another deep breath and exhales once more. "I think...Zay, was it? I think we should return to the east gate. Samuel, would you mind checking on the west gate and send word if necessary? I can return the rest of your gear later."

korvac42
2010-02-19, 04:52 PM
"Thanks! You are crippled? Is one of your wings not functioning very well.... by Jehnome, you have wings! I have never seen such a thing! Are they fully functioning or are the merely decorative? Do they provide enough lifting power or do you require magical aid? Were they grafted on..." Zaybxc rattles off a stream of questions much more quickly then anyone can realistically answer.

He then notices Dakkeus again: "Hey, was there a change in orders? Or is there someone else manning the post now? You know, I bet lizardfolk could come and invade through the water? I wonder if Moradain has thought of that... they could attack from the east! Oh, did you hear that a the emerald fang tribe of lizardfolk has been attacking and kidnapping natives for SACRIFICE?" At this point he Zaybxc completely runs out of breath.

korvac42
2010-02-19, 04:53 PM
"OK, Ser, sounds like a plan to me! To the east gate!"

Allomancer
2010-02-19, 04:56 PM
Shaking his head, the Sunblade heir shakes off his confusion at the mad rush of words coming from Zay. "No change in orders. I-" he pauses and swallows audibly. "I had Samuel accompany me from the east gate after we were certain there was no threat to see if we were needed at the west gate. It was a poor decision, but one for which I will answer alone. We should go. Quickly."

Cuaqchi
2010-02-19, 07:23 PM
The West Gate

Muttering under his breath none could hear the epithet that Moradain had said, though all near him knew what feelings he had. Ignoring the others on the palisade the commander jumped into the swamp on the opposite side, drawing his sword and glaring at the orc refugees as he spoke. "What reason do you have to come here? You bear no material of value and our stores cannot be spared the burden of useless bodies."

At the lead of the refugee column was a woman, older than any orc the town had met before with age marking both skin and hair. Dropping to her knees before Moradain she proceeded to beg in a broken form of the common tongue, "Lost home. Need help. Will work."

"Lost your homes did you?" Moradain said with a sneer pointing eastward, "I guess we can do something. Go wait around the other side of the camp and I shall get someone to help you."

Once the column had begun their trip around the town Moradain moved to the gate, marching triumphantly through the doors as the guards present seemed to slink out of his path. As expected he only waited until the gate had been resealed before barking out a new set of orders, "Brooker, go ensure that the eastern guards are ready for them. I am done with this patrol and need to shower before I eat. Everyone else get back to work, I don't want to hear anyone mention those creatures around me until I have decided how we are going to deal with them. Is that clear?"

The only sound that followed was the sharp chorus from the gathered soldiers, their response ringing across the gateway. "Sir, yes sir!"

vollmond
2010-02-19, 07:45 PM
Eric

Hey, a bit of responsibility. Not bad, even if I am just a messenger... Eric stowed his crossbow and headed down the main road towards the opposite gate, moving purposefully. He thought about the town's needs as he went, trying to predict what they could possibly do with these barbarians.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-19, 08:37 PM
Before leaping on, he'll comment to Zay- "It's all me friend." He smiles, extending his wings out a bit. "They are quite handy too."

Then he'll continue, leaping on towards the West Gate.

korvac42
2010-02-21, 03:39 PM
Zaybxc admires Samuel as he glides down the street, before turning back to Dakkeus and gesturing with a mud encrusted hand. He seems to have calmed down a bit.

"I am Zaybxc... did I mention that already? It is a pleasure to meet you Dakkeus Sunblade. We best return to the post, Moradain is a terror when he finds one of his subordinates has strayed from his duties. Of course, he tends to think of everyone in terms of how quickly their head can be parted from their body, be they friend of foe. I myself see things through different, more peaceable eyes."

"Have I not seen you around before? You look familiar. Are you one of nobles, by chance?"

Allomancer
2010-02-22, 09:27 AM
Dakkeus chuckles softly. "I would say that you've assessed Skeld's general mien very well. I figured he'd be upset at me either way - be it not responding to the alarm or leaving my post." He shrugs and starts to lead the way back to the east gate at a brisk pace. "You probably have heard of me. My father is Chessor Sunblade, and until some untreatable malady struck him down, he was making the decisions around here," Dakkeus' near-ever-present smile fades for just a moment before returning once more. "I still hope to find a cure, but it has sapped much of my father's strength and will, I'm afraid."

Jesse Drake
2010-02-22, 09:34 AM
After a moment, Samuel passes by Eric- and for some reason, he stops for a second. He's purposely moving away from the gate- maybe he knows something. "Sir-" He calls out, large wings holding him still. "Sir- please halt." He looks at Eric. "By any chance, do you know what's going on over at the West Gate?"

vollmond
2010-02-22, 09:45 AM
Eric

Eric falters in his stride, looking askance at the cripple. "A mob of those ugly orcish women is here seeking asylum from some sort of attack. The commander sent them around to the East Gate until he decides what to do with them. I'm -- we're to keep them there until he sends word of his decision." Eric takes a closer look at him. "Aren't you a supply clerk? What were you doing out on the battlements? Did you see the orcs come round yet?"

Jesse Drake
2010-02-22, 09:49 AM
"The east-gate... I was just there." He looks back at Eric. "Oh... I was the supply clerk. It's just so boring there, so I applied for a transfer." He realizes some of his gear is back with Dakkeus. "Orcs eh? That's tough. Well, do you think that they'll need back up over at the gate... wait, did you say orc women? Were they particularly vicious women?"

vollmond
2010-02-22, 09:54 AM
"More useless than vicious. What are we supposed to do with dozens of new mouths to feed, some of them children, all of them women? I'm not going there as backup, I'm going there to tell the guards why there are dozens of orcish civilians milling around like we owe them something. I don't know what Skeld is going to do with them, but it will be interesting to see. By the way, I wouldn't mention them around him for now -- he's in a right bad mood." Eric starts moving again, eager not to spend too much time chatting in the road when he's been given an errand to run by the commander himself.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-22, 09:59 AM
Well, I wasn't given any specific orders... and it seems that things aren't out of control at the gate. I'd better head to the East Gate with this guy. "I'll go with you- I left some of my gear at the East Gate..." he says with a slight look of shame. Assuming that Eric isn't running at his max, it shouldn't be too hard for Samuel to stick with him.

vollmond
2010-02-22, 10:23 AM
Happy to be moving again, Eric keeps walking toward the East Gate. "I sort of hope whatever drove these orcs from their hovels tries to do the same here. Can you imagine the glory, not to mention the fun? I'd love the chance to bash some monster's skull in.

"That fool, Zay-something, tried to tell Commander Skeld that we need to go out and meet these attackers in battle. Now why would we do that? If these barbarians keep going and manage to get as far as Last Hope, certainly it will be an excellent experience to fight them off, but why would we go out into the swamps just to fight them? It doesn't make sense."

Jesse Drake
2010-02-22, 10:57 AM
Samuel and Eric don't really talk much on the way there. Eric easily notices that Samuel is working twice as hard as him, and yet achieving the same results. Something like that must be tough.

By the time he makes it to the post, he's slightly tired, but not a drop of sweat drips off of him. He's hearty, and physically fit, so he's rather calm and composed.

vollmond
2010-02-22, 11:18 AM
"Anyway...," says Eric as they approach the East Gate. Looking up to the scarpment, Eric calls out to the guards at this gate, "Hail! Look alive, we're expecting company soon."

Upon reaching the top, he nods at those already present. "I've just come from the West Gate. A bunch of orcish refugees have come seeking asylum from a barbarian attack on their village. Commander Skeld has sent them round to this side of the camp to wait for his decision on what to do with them; we're to deal with them until he finishes."

korvac42
2010-02-22, 12:04 PM
Zay responds to Dakkeus as they wait at the East Gate:

"Friend, that is a rough bit of news about your father. Tis' a damn shame some holy man, physic or surgeon cannot be found to treat what ails him. I would be interested in hearing the symptoms; I have heard of some shamans and mystics from the scouts and traders who pass through who might have some insight into his malaise. I could pass the word along."

As Eric approaches Zaybxc notices him and looks slightly askance at Moradain's new pet.

"I've just come from the West Gate. A bunch of orcish refugees have come seeking asylum from a barbarian attack on their village. Commander Skeld has sent them round to this side of the camp to wait for his decision on what to do with them; we're to deal with them until he finishes."

Zaybxc calls down:

"Well met! You say Orcish refugees are coming here? Tremendous news! Can you clarify how many "a bunch" is? Thirty, forty? How many of them are children? I would like to procure shelter and food for them! I might have some ideas about where to house them, and I would like to ask them some questions as well. Did you find out who their leader is?"

[ooc: K(Arch&Engr) to ascertain if I indeed do have some ideas about where to put them: [roll0]]

vollmond
2010-02-22, 08:26 PM
"A few dozen, perhaps half of them children. The oldest one I've ever seen spoke for them; I doubt we'll have trouble picking her out once they reach the gate." A troubled look crosses Eric's face and he mutters slightly to himself, "What I don't understand is what threat this could be that a village's worth of orc warriors wasn't able to handle it..."

korvac42
2010-02-23, 12:49 PM
"A few dozen? So we need..." Zay does a few calculations in his head, starts pacing and talking aloung "...20 tents, 200 gallons of fresh water, and 150 pounds of food per day, a mix of vegetables, grains and meat. Where are we going to get all that stuff? Plus, we need to get clerics to check their general health. And what are we going to do with them? Can they farm, hunt, or gather? Maybe we can put them by the port and they can fish and draw water from there?"

He suddenly stops and turns to Dakkeus:

"Ser Sunblade, you can help us out with the logistics, right? I mean, you can get all this stuff if you ask your father, right?"

Allomancer
2010-02-23, 01:22 PM
Shaking his head, Dakkeus looks at the eager young man. "Would that it were so easy. Skeld has pretty much taken over in the twelve years since my father's illness disabled him enough that he could not handle day-to-day details. It's pretty much his call unless every elder in town decides to do otherwise, and even then, he might go his own way regardless of their decision." He looks over the wall absently. "Once I'm off-duty, whenever Skeld has me relieved, that is, I can ask around and see what can be done, but it will most likely have to wait until Skeld has made some kind of decision. We'll see what can be done for them in the meantime to protect and help out, though, that's certain."

Cuaqchi
2010-02-23, 08:55 PM
The East Gate

It wasn't very long before the orcs made their way around the town, keeping close to the wall as if something was still following them from the swamp. At the gate the crone again took the lead as she knelt in the mud before the doors, "Come for help. Told see you. Where make home?"

korvac42
2010-02-24, 01:16 PM
Zaybxc quickly blurts out to the grandmother in some broken orc: "Hello honored grandmother. Sorry for tribe's pain. Wait, we talk, decide."

Zay turns to the other three citizens of Last Hope "I... uh... told her to wait while we make up our mind. I don't know about the food or how best to employ them, but I just had a thought about where we could put them... just outside the walls, and a bit downstream. I have heard of the way the Orcs build their home. I think if we gave them a few tools they could craft their own shelter; I might be able to borrow some from the craftsmen."

He looks quite unsure of himself suddenly, looking particularly to Sunblade and Eric for guidance. "Does anyone have any ideas what to do with them? I'm worried about them just milling about and getting on the nerves of the city elders, or worse, Moradain"

vollmond
2010-02-24, 07:00 PM
"Your plan seems workable... there are a few bits of solid ground that way, and decent places to forage -- do orcs forage? I dunno how the commander will react if we loan them tools and equipment before he decides what he wants to do, though."

korvac42
2010-02-25, 02:21 PM
Zaybxc gets a little red in the face and runs his fingers through his muddy blonde hair in an agitated manner. "I am pretty sure Moradain has NO idea what to do. I am worried if we do not do something before he HAS an idea, these poor women and children will be thrown back out or worse! No offense to you, since I know you are are trying to gain his favor and all that, but I think we might act now and ask forgiveness later. I think I should go right now and start borrowing tools while you lot interrogate them about the nature of their - and our - enemy."

He turns to the elderly orc. "If our tribe gives you shelter and protection, how will you help us? Can you make shelter? Can you gather food? Can you help us in other ways when asked?"

Jesse Drake
2010-02-26, 10:38 PM
Samuel doesn't say anything. He's not sure what to do- they aren't dangerous, at the moment, but as far as he knows, they haven't been given orders to let them in.

Cuaqchi
2010-02-27, 01:57 AM
"Have nothing to give. Seek help." The orc says, trying invain to understand the rapid fire comments passsing between the people on the wall. "Cook. Tend Camp. Man gone."

vollmond
2010-03-01, 08:20 AM
Thinking back over Skeld's behavior today and realizing the bard is probably right, Eric grimaces and resolves to help the orc tribe as best he can. Remembering the conversation he had on the road, he turns toward the winged one. "What good fortune that we have the recently-transferred supply clerk in our midst. Does the camp have equipment to spare so that we may provide tents, blankets, and such without straining our own needs? And by the way, I didn't catch your name; I'm Eric."

Jesse Drake
2010-03-01, 08:25 AM
Samuel looks at him. "Hello, I'm Samuel-" He stops and thinks for a moment. He lost his leg because he was unwilling to break the rules and give extra food- perhaps that wasn't the best of plans. He looks at the orcs. Poor women with children. He doesn't know what to say to that.

"Um. Listen, I don't know what to do here-" He doesn't exactly have a moral compass, and while that doesn't mean he's immoral, it just means he doesn't have an inclanation to help- other than, by all accounts, Mordain has seemed like a jerk, and Samuel doesn't wish to lose another leg. "Look- we won't die out if we share a bit." He answers, with a bit of unease.

Jesse Drake
2010-03-02, 05:48 PM
Samuel will head to the supply shed and fetch the things that will be needed. He doesn't ask for help, as he won't be able to explain for the others.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-06, 03:48 PM
Later that night...

The Barracks

Back in barracks Dakkeus and Eric went about there business, the day had been more eventful than any before but it was obvious Moradain's mood had tempered everyone for a battle. Everywhere one looked people were cleaning armour or sharpening weapons, and those that had already done so enough to their liking were sleeping having gone to bed earlier than usual to ensure they were well rested. Whatever happened in the coming days though, no one was going to miss the glory and for men that lived by a schedule of misery and death that was enough for at least a little excitement.

The Supply Office

Samuel was hidden in the darkness as he worked. He had warned his old mentor that certain items might be missing come morning, but the man refused to help in collecting the needed items and even placed a limitation the Sam try to make it seem more like a theft than he intended. Moradain already had his scapegoats and like everyone else in town no one wished to be added to that list, even if it was for all the right reasons.

Beyond The East Gate

The orcs had been more than efficient crafting a temporary home with nothing but their hands. Zaybxc could only watch with wonder as they worked, knowing that the dedication and skill they demonstrated would come in handy should the town expand into the swamp. Now that they were finished though it was time to work out how everyone was going to work with the refugees, and few were willing to step foot within the damp thatch dwellings for idle chatter.

Jesse Drake
2010-03-06, 08:58 PM
"What are you doing?" Asked Samuel to himself. "This is ridiculous. You are stealing from the camp-" he thinks a bit. Nothing is right about this situation, but the supply officer didn't say no. He wasn't helping, but he didn't say no. Did that mean Mordain was wrong? What else did he not know.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-10, 02:12 PM
The Supply Office

Rooting through the materials to find what he need Samuel almost missed the sound just beyond the far wall. Two people speaking in hushed common seemed to be planning something nefarious, but whether it was the walls or just what the people were saying Samuel was unable to decipher their conversation and was left to finish his task before someone heard him.

The Next Morning

Town Center

It was early morning when Moradain gathered the people of Last Hope in the center of town. He had obviously made a decision regarding the orcs and everyone who wasn't busy doing a required task tried to hear what he was going to say.

"Everyone here now knows about our uninvited guests," Moradain began, his words ringing with distain for not only the refugees but those that mentioned their presence whether or not he heard them. "We are going to give them back their old home, and with any luck they will not come running for our help if any other barbarians decide to fight them."

"We shall also be sending out a small contingent with them to continue on in the direction of the lizardfolk that are causing the problems. That group shall do what they can to dissuade the lizards from even trying to attack us, and with that demonstration we may get ourselves a real ally in this swamp rather than a collection of useless mouths." Moradain finished his speech with the obvious direction, he was sending the orcs to an inevitable end and was looking instead to try and muscle a superpower out of their present position.

vollmond
2010-03-11, 09:15 AM
Somewhat apprehensive about the wisdom of leaving Last Hope's sturdy walls, Eric nevertheless felt a thrill of excitement at the prospect of exploration and action. Turning to the man standing next to him, he whispered loudly, "Who do you think the commander will pick to go? I wonder how one can make sure to be a part of that group..."

Jesse Drake
2010-03-11, 10:13 AM
"If he knows what I did, I'm definitely getting sent out." Samuel stands perfectly still, leaning on his cane. "I didn't want to... I shouldn't have..." He thinks. "But I did the right thing, right? What is right? I mean, it's technically against orders- and that's not right." Samuel's having some inner conflict right now, but one thing is for sure- if he is sent on this expedition, he may not come back.

korvac42
2010-03-11, 12:56 PM
Zay has a smile upon his lips. The jungle! Amazing! This must be a blessing from Dinarai! .

Then his smile turns to a frown. But the women and children. How will they fare without the strong spear-arms of their tribesmen? Their entire tribe could be wiped from the face of the earth!

He pushed his way to the front of the crowd... well, more slipped between the burly armed soldiers and craftsmen that had gathered in the square. As he passed Dakkeus he tugged at his tunic, motioning for him to join him at the front.

As he slips to the front of the of the crowd he speaks up rapidly:

"Commander Skeld, if I may ser! There is much wisdom in your plan, but we should not be too hasty in ridding ourselves of our fine orcish neighbors. You should see their skill in constructing comfortable swamp dwellings overnight; their techniques are simply marvelous! Moreover, these are women and children, not warriors; even if we send them back they will be at the mercy of all manner of jungle beast. I talked with them last night and they are willing to cook, clean, gather food and otherwise labor on our behalf, so that we may carry on with the important business of securing - and expanding - our borders"

"Please consider these things. Also, I would like to volunteer myself for the advanced party. I have not dealt with the Emerald Fang tribe before but I have dealt with other lizardfolk; I speak their language and am willing to negotiate."

[roll0]

Cuaqchi
2010-04-01, 11:35 PM
"No need to volunteer Zaybxc," Moradain says with a bit of a laugh, "You will be going on this trip, and I hope the lizardfolk are as open to a reception as you are. You shall also be taking along some of the soldiers to ensure that you are well protected, and a priest to ensure you recieve the blessings of the gods."

Stepping forward, Moradain then looks around those gathered searching for his favourites before calling out the names of those going out. "Brooker, Delamaine, Esmeraude, Kitee, Pavolo, Saulliou, and Tarenii. You seven shall accompany our volunteer, and the orcs back to their settlement and then continue on to the lizardfolk when you deem the location secure. Just remember it is the strong not the weak that shall be our allies, so do not involve yourself with anything less then the best."

Jesse Drake
2010-04-02, 07:21 AM
Samuel sighs. Too bad that nice fellow Dakkeus wasn't gonna be there. Too bad Samuel was. But he'll make it through.

vollmond
2010-04-02, 07:50 AM
Eric starts at hearing his name. Me? Well, guess I don't need to do anything special to get placed with the expedition. Eric isn't sure how this reflects on him, or whether he's quite happy with it, but in the end it is what he wanted, so he puts it out of his mind.

Soon he is overtaken with excitement at getting to leave the walled outpost and see some adventure, though he does feel a bit of a pang of uneasiness regarding the fate of the orc refugees. But, adventure! excitement! He draws his morningstar and waves it in the air, giving a loud shout.

korvac42
2010-04-02, 08:32 AM
Zay, in a subdued tone: "Well Ser, if that is your decision, that is your decision. But I must protest... I think we waste a great resource." He salutes... poorly... and turns to the crowd pick out the other recruits.

His mind races. Can we arm the orc women? Can I train them... or maybe someone with more fighting experience? Perhaps a friendly tribe could take them while we deal with the lizard folk? What is it that the lizardfolk need? What if they are controlled by some malevolent chieftan, or horrible monster? What then? Caught up in his thoughts he of stumbles through the crowd to Samuel, Eric and the others, absentmindedly bumping into the men-at-arms gathered in the square.

Ernir
2010-04-02, 09:20 PM
"Hah! Knew I would make the cut. Just as well, this rabble would be as good as dead without a proper warrior on the squad." he thinks to himself, hoping no one will notice the slight smirk.

Ser! Ready to leave at once, ser! he shouts, as loudly as could possibly be proper.

Cuaqchi
2010-04-02, 11:01 PM
As the men Moradain selected voiced their opinions, both positive and negative, the commander motioned for the crowd to silence themselves before he spoke further. "You shall all depart at high noon in three hours, ensure you are prepared for the trip and we shall see you again when you return successful."

The crowd again erupted into a babble of voice: some doubting the sincerity of the commander's intentions, others cheering for a call to action. As the noise filtered down around him Moradain retreated from the rostram and made his way to the mess, obviously hoping to ignore whatever complaints might be leveled before the men left.

korvac42
2010-04-05, 11:07 AM
Zay eventually finds his way away from the crowd. He walks out into the center of the hastily erected huts outside of town, trying not to look at the eyes of the orc women and children with a guilty nervousness. He tries not to see the children playing in the mud, the women as they weave their thatch or eat the simple rations Samuel had acquired. He sweats bullets, but not from the dampness of the jungle air.

"Listen! Come here! Sit!"

He waits until they have gathered.

"My chief made decision! You leave, go home. Our warriors come, protect you on way. Our warrior and me talk with Emerald Fang. Fight with Emerald, if must. We try to get your men back."

"You must gather food, water, tools... ready by time sun high in sky. You must make spears during trip. We will teach you to fight. You must learn to hunt and fight without men. May not be men again until young are big."

"You are orcs - you are strong. Your tribe strong. You all be strong - Teron protect you. I will help."

He waits, trying to look strong and confident, and hide the quiver in his voice.

Persuasion - [roll0]

vollmond
2010-04-05, 10:33 PM
Extricating himself from the milling townsfolk, Eric hurries back to his barracks to top off his already-heavy pack with his roughing-it gear -- his standard issue tent and some trail rations. He moves quickly, positively glowing with the Joy Seeker's light of excitement, and in just a few minutes he is exiting the building again.

He makes his way back out the gate where the orc refugees have set up camp, and joins the bard as he attempts to organize the women and children. He grimaces a bit at the guttural, barbarous sounds of the language Zay is speaking, but recovers quickly. "Are we looking good for the expedition? I can't imagine anyone will challenge us with these orcs along the way -- even the women look a bit formidable. These lizardfolk at the end, though, might provide some challenge."

Cuaqchi
2010-04-06, 07:29 AM
"We thank you much, human." The orc woman says, motioning for some of the others to leave and begin preparing for the departure. "Making weapons shall be difficult though, we are to travel for four days before we reach our home, and the lizardfolk you wish to talk to are another two days further at a hunter's pace."

Breaking from her conversation with Zaybxc the woman looks to Eric, and shaking her head says, "You not understand land. In swamp you either strong or you dead, and unlike elf, you not smart enough to hide. For lizardfolk imagine crocodile, strong enough to snap the back of deer in one bite, but also smart like orc able to build and fight."

korvac42
2010-04-06, 07:25 PM
"We will prevail, somehow, I just know it! The fighters of Last Hope are brave and strong.". He turns to Eric. "Uh, thanks for reminding me. I need to get ready. Four days in the jungle... I need some collection jars, some fresh mapping paper, my notebook. Oh, maybe my kit and some water. I'll be back in an hour, tops. Keep an eye on the refugees!". He rushes off to the barracks.

vollmond
2010-04-07, 07:29 AM
Eric is startled as Zaybxc runs off, leaving him alone with the orcish women. "Uh... hi. You're doing great; just keep... packing?" He pulls off his pack and starts rummaging through it; anything to distract him from all the orcs staring at him.

Cuaqchi
2010-04-07, 08:35 AM
By midday all parties had prepared themselves for the journey, and stood waiting at the West Gate for Moradain to appear and send them off. The wait was not long though, something of a rarity for Moradain, and when he saw the orcs bundled up again ready to be shown the door he simply smiled. He then looked to a young clerk nearby and feigning an air of generosity spoke, "Today is a great today. We shall finally take our first leave of this city and seek out a home that our previous leaders wished to ignore, we only need make allies within the environment and all shall work for us. These eight men shall head forth and meet the first of these new friends, a race of warriors so great that when our motherland comes calling we will truly have something to show worthy of our time away. Now I must wish you all luck, and may the blessings of Dinarai and Shartonai grant you safe passage, and luck in your dealings."

When Moradain finished he turned and left for the mess, leaving the men and their orcish entourage to begin the trip through the woods.

On The Trail

The trail that the orcs led you over was little more than a swath of deflected tree branches hammering its way straight through any obstacle rather than take any easier way around. The group travelled for about four hours in this way before reaching the first small clearing, where the orcs began unpacking to make camp for the night. Again it was the old hag that approached your group and looking for Zaybxc said, "We stop here tonight. Children need rest, and unlike hunters we must take longer to make camp. You not need help us, but we hope you take spots like men around camp to watch for animals."

Jesse Drake
2010-04-07, 09:06 AM
Samuel nods. "I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help you set up camp even if I wanted." He thinks.

Ernir
2010-04-07, 07:17 PM
Tuomas tries to place his tent as far away from the orcs as he can, which will probably place him at the edge of the camp.

"Well, the edge is the most dangerous place to sleep in all the camp. Someone has to take it, might as well be me."

vollmond
2010-04-07, 09:54 PM
Eric goes in search of a campsite for himself. Finding one off to the side (not in front nor in back of the party), he sets about getting ready for the night. This mostly involves sitting off to the side while his gear assembles itself into a semblance of order. Building a small fire (but not lighting it yet), he starts circling the camp, seeing how the others are doing. He pulls out a trail ration and eats a bit of it as it goes. It tastes excellent -- or at least not as bad as it could.

Burning my Prestidigitation and Unseen Servant SLAs to clean a space (and myself) and set up my tent and such. Also flavoring the ration.

korvac42
2010-04-09, 11:29 AM
Zay looks about as the others head out to the edges of the camp, and decides to pitch his tent in the center, near the orcs and the fire.

"Well, I guess I will take the morning watch. I have always been an early riser anyways. I am off to collect some plant samples before the shadows grow too long."

After an hour of setting up his tent and collecting samples he sits to take a simple meal with the orcs. He finishes, then writes in his notebook and maps, recording daily observations: the flora, fauna, observations on the waterways and position of the sun, sketches of the orcs and their habits. Then he sits quiet and meditates for a bit.

As the sun sinks low in the horizon, and the embers of the dying fire flicker across his face, a tune comes to his lips. It is a low tenor, strong but gentle.

"Know the Love of Darenoir the Wulf o' the Sea,
was only and ever for Battle, Travel and Plunder;
The Son of Kætilmund born wild, strong and free,
To no Daughter of Woman would he bend his knee

Oh Darenoir,
Where floats your castle so cold?
Be it your kingdom or a tomb of ice?
Where is your love strong and bold?
The lizard known as Vorelize?

And e'er did the bow of his knarr cut the restless wave,
as he traveled o'er the lands so far and wide,
Took what he wanted by axe, sword and bow the knave
Sent lord, soldier, saint and sinner to their early grave

Oh Darenoir,

But ere long the thrill of battle grew old and weary,
gold and jewels lost their gleam and grew dull,
The endless seas grew cold and the horizons dreary,
Until one night the sea rose up in glorious fury.

Oh Darenoir,

The waves did rise and bitter the salt stung
The masts were toppled and the crew lost
At last dawn broke, Darenoir to a simple log clung,
As the the pall of death about him hung.

Oh Darenoir,

And over the stranded Darenoir a shadow cast
In the sky soared the great wyrm Vorelize
"You have plundered and murdered in days past,
now pay for your crimes and breathe your last"

Oh Darenoir,

And at last the stranded sea lord cried aloud:
"Spare me great worm, grant me life
For I was raised a Sea Wolf, Cruel and Proud,
At deaths door your have in me kindness endowed"

Oh Darenoir,

The wyrm took pity, for it was known to be gentle and kind
Flew the lord far to a dry land and warm hearth
And changed form a maiden fair so the lord she could mind
Darenoir a changed man, his evils he began to unwind

Oh Darenoir,

And the years grew long and Darenoir grew old
though his lady ne'er did age a day
And his bones grew weak and his body cold
For his evil youth he had repaid threefold

Oh Darenoir,

One day Darenoir's soul relented and his body died
Vorelize changed form, lizard once more,
Took his body in claws and to the ice she flied
Golden tears of sadness and joy she cried

Oh Darenoir,

Zaybxc finishes the Lay of Darenoir and stares back into the fire,
thoughtfully.

Cuaqchi
2010-04-09, 12:45 PM
As Zaybxc took his seat and began to sing many of the orcs took pause from their work to listen, the children moving closer to the strange man hoping that he, as a shaman, would tell a story in the elegant voice he had demonstrated. The only comment from the orcs however was from the old hag, "What value to story? Dragon not care, dragon only burn. Darenoir still lose all."

korvac42
2010-04-09, 01:39 PM
As Zaybxc took his seat and began to sing many of the orcs took pause from their work to listen, the children moving closer to the strange man hoping that he, as a shaman, would tell a story in the elegant voice he had demonstrated. The only comment from the orcs however was from the old hag, "What value to story? Dragon not care, dragon only burn. Darenoir still lose all."

Zay looks taken aback for a moment, then chooses his words carefully. "Good people; song of Darenoir and generous dragon Vorelize is song of great warrior and dragon wife. Darenoir warrior who learn good life is more then hunting and winning. Life is also helping weak, sharing things. Make others strong, not just self. His wife, generous dragon who spare life, teach him these things. He lose his things, no longer fights, but is happy with life, with wife. Does more then fight. But sad story... Vorelize still young and strong, Darenoir grew old, and died. Yet he has mighty tomb of ice, and story for the ages. Not bad, I think."

Cuaqchi
2010-04-09, 11:30 PM
"We help weak by forcing them to be strong," The hag retorts, disappointed that the human was so oblivious to her ways. "He no longer fierce, no longer strong. How wife live with him, make child for him?"

vollmond
2010-04-11, 09:33 AM
Eric finished the last of his trail ration while standing off to the side away from the fire, listening to the bard's song and thinking about everything that had happened that day. The orcs were so... strange, and in so many ways. One of the strangest things was how much he found he sympathized with them. He saw the pain in their eyes from time to time, and knew they must be thinking about their missing husbands and brothers and sons -- how would the people of Last Hope fare if the same had happened to them?

On the other hand, the orcs had a very strange reaction to Zay's story. How did they not understand the clear moral there? He didn't understand the man's explanation in orcish, but they still didn't seem impressed.

korvac42
2010-04-11, 09:36 AM
"Some tribes and places who live far away have many people who are not strong and do not have sharp spears. They live good and eat well, but few in their tribe fight, and not all times. Most times they make song, words-on-paper, magic, art, grow crops, forge metal, craft stone, like elf or dwarf. Many men never fight at all, whole life. World is big place, many people, many types of life. Not human town; too small, too few to make area safe yet. Still need many warriors. Someday, we hope make all jungle safe too. Think about these things; orc tribe could be this way too. Our tribes could join, someday, make jungle safe together."

Cuaqchi
2010-04-11, 12:13 PM
"You not make sense," The orc says, "People only safe if they make themself safe. If you make crafts or lots of food, you must protect it or someone else take it for themself. No big man fierce enough to protect those he cannot see, so one must guard themself first."

Ernir
2010-04-12, 03:47 PM
Tuomas does his best to kill time while Zaybxc socializes with the orcs. With the orcs! Those smelly orcs!
"This mission can't be over soon enough...", he thinks.

korvac42
2010-04-13, 07:08 AM
"Yes, your words true in jungle, must fight all time to protect things and family. But many places in the world, only few fight and keep many safe, many who not family, who they will never meet. Not meet because tribe so big too many to meet in whole life. Most not fight whole life. I see you not believe me, but I will have great boat in a few seasons, boat which holde 2 or 3 tribes. If you or any tribe people want to travel, see these lands where not all men fight, you can come. Maybe see dragon who do not kill or tribe leaders who never fight. Maybe then believe. But now, we all tired. Let us sleep."

Cuaqchi
2010-04-13, 08:42 AM
"Maybe," The orc says, gesturing for everyone that had gathered to disperse. "For now, I right and home more important that big canoe. We shall continue travelling in the morning, sleep strong human."

Two Days Later

The group had already been travelling for three days when the group made its next camp, positioned upon what seemed like a semi-permanent camp site for hunters. The travel had not been to hazardous, and except for the rain the night before which had left everything completely soaked all had gone well. Now positioning themselves around the camp as they had done the last couple of nights everyone knew that they were getting close to the orc's home.

The orc woman looked to the collected humans and said, "Tonight last night out of house, tommorow we give you grand feast to prepare great warriors for war. May the might of Teron see you as worthy for such gifts."

vollmond
2010-04-13, 03:09 PM
Eric wasn't sure whether to look forward to an orc feast or not...

As he set up his tent -- he had taken to doing the work himself, as it at least gave a nice break from nonstop walking -- he wondered whether the bard (Zay -- his name was Zay, and he was turning out to be surprisingly interesting) would pass on another story tonight. The orcs didn't seem to be opening up to them any more than before, but at least they provided some entertainment.

As usual, he found a seat around the campfire, then sat their absentmindedly rolling a few pebbles around in his hand, tiny flashes of magical light playing across them.

Not actually casting anything -- just thinking of it like magical bleedthrough or something; his way of twiddling his thumbs. Probably just looks like the pebbles are glittering in the fire's reflection

Cuaqchi
2010-04-23, 08:33 PM
Tuomas had been on watch for a little more than an hour already, sitting with his back to fire as he watched the many shapes of the forest and listened to the call of the jungle cats. The woman who had been teamed with him for the late night shift seemed cautious enough as she had worked her way back into the camp after performing her rituals to the moon goddess, if anyone was to help him should something happen he knew that he could trust her not to panic. What caught him off guard though was a sudden shift in the shadows on the far side of the camp, he wasn't sure what it was but he was sure that the creature, about 4 foot tall, was not the jaguar that had been mewling into the night and from everything he could tell his partner had missed it.

OOC: Toumas 'passed' his notice check for the group moving in, although that discounts the effects of the darkness. As a result, Tuomas is aware for this round but at a -4 to his initiative for the 'surprise' round when the creatures attack.

Ernir
2010-04-24, 11:05 AM
"Hey! Hey! What on earth is that?", Tuomas says to his partner, one hand on the signal whistle, the other on his rapier.

Cuaqchi
2010-04-27, 08:12 AM
Just as Tuomas rose to his feet hoping to call out a warning the movement he had seen beyond the camp intesified as a dozen reptilian forms burst into the camp. The majority, the same small forms that he had seen briefly ran into the tents with nets ready obviosly seeking to capture whoever they could in the short raid.

Behind them though was a creature easily 7 foot tall and armed with what looked like a primitive sword, crafted of wood and edged with shards of volcanic glass. The leader, for it was obvious from his feathered cloak and bodily art that he was such, charged toward the fire hoping to disable the guards before his men could escape.

Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ao5hqt2ywxuwdDZYZW1fTEJmd3d6X1h4alRfbkpiW Xc&hl=en)

Both the shaman and the ranger are holding, the ranger has a standard action if you step into range.

Ernir
2010-04-27, 12:20 PM
Intent on proving himself in battle against the savage, Tuomas throws himself at the Ranger, weapons drawn.

Actions, in this order:

Free - drop the whistle, now that it has been blown. (Still around my neck, though, so it shouldn't drop far.)
Move - draw the dagger with the hand that just held the whistle.
5' step - go up to the Ranger, to K11.
Swift - activate Punishing Stance, giving me 1d6 bonus damage, and reducing my AC from 16 to 14.
Standard - initiate Wolf Fang Strike on the Ranger! Attack with both weapons.

Rapier: , [roll1]
Dagger: [roll2], [roll=Damage]1d4+1d6+2

Cuaqchi
2010-04-27, 01:56 PM
As the blades scrapped across the creature's scaled hide the beast hissed in the draconic tongue, challenging Tuomas's abilities before he brought the primitive sword against the man.

Attack w/Macahuitl [roll0] Damage [roll1]

vollmond
2010-04-27, 11:17 PM
Snorting fitfully, Eric rolls over in his sleep, licking his lips. He's having an excellent dream, involving a quite attractive young woman from Last Hope.

So what's the next opportunity to wake up? When the Lizardfolk standing over him tries a CdG?

Cuaqchi
2010-04-28, 12:07 PM
With a strangely carniverous grin the lizardman seemed to laugh as his vicious sword cut into the human past his armour. The priestess had demanded a sacrifice for the great serpant, and maybe this one would be worth such an honour. Again the lizard swung his blade, turning it at the last moment to bring the solid wooden haft to Tuomas's head in a two handed strike all the while snapping for the man's sword arm with his serrated teeth.

While the swordsman tried to hold his own against the monstrous lizard around the camp movement erupted in the multitude of tents as the smaller scaly folk moved to try and bind those that had awoken, or in a few cases those who still slept.

From Samuel's tent a gust of air ripped through the entrance, a shrill cry following as the lizard that had entered was cut at by the shearing force of the draconic winds.

Still at the treeline the lizardfolk shaman watched as the damage was done to his people and dropping to his knees began to pray in hissed language of his people, "Rise up warriors, take your spears and strike down these beasts. The great lord requires their blood and only you have the power to take it."

Within seconds the lizardfolk still standing on that side of the camp were filled with a soft loft, seemingly guiding their arms and strengthening their resolve.

As the lizard entered his tent Pavolo climbed to his feet and reaching for his morningstar attempted to bring it down on the intruders skull. Driving the lizard to the ground he then called out, "Cover the tent line, the beasts have come for us now!"

Like his comrades in arms Delamaine rose to his feet and attempted to strike down the lizardfolk within his tent, but due to his haste or the inability to adjust for the creature's height he meerly waved the solid cudgle beyond the creature's reach.

All those awake could hear the noise coming from Zaybxc's tent, a strange song, seemingly ill-timed but encouraging none-the-less and all those nearby could feel their spirits rising from the magics he controlled.

Having waited long enough for aid that wouldn't come as he intended Tuomas struck the creature along the side, again glancing off the creature's hide that his rapier seemed unable to penetrate.

Looking to Tuomas as he called for help the woman only shook her head, wordlessly telling him that she had other ways to help. With that she began to speak in the celestial tongue, "Great Goddess of the Moon, bless us with the security of your beauty and the peace of the night. Embrace these heathens with the warming comfort of your embrace, and envelop them in the calm of eternal slumber."

To Tuomas and Zaybxc those were the last beautiful words that the lizards would probably ever hear as the creatures in front of them dropped to their kness and then rolled over, their soft breathing the only sign that they were not dead.

Updated Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ao5hqt2ywxuwdDZYZW1fTEJmd3d6X1h4alRfbkpiW Xc&hl=en)

Ranger - Full Attack Bite[roll0] / 2 Handed Non-Lethal Strike [roll1] Damage Bite [roll2] / Strike [roll3]
Lizardfolk - Attack w/Net (Touch Attack to Entangle) Samuel [roll4] / Delamaine [roll5] / Zaybxc [roll6]
Pavolo - Move to Stand and Free Action to recover Morningstar, Attack Lizardfolk [roll7] Damage [roll8]

Ernir
2010-04-28, 04:03 PM
Tuomas circles the Ranger, trying to hit its softer sides.

"Come on, Tarenii! Help me!"

5' to L12
Ready action to attack with the rapier when/if Tarenii comes to flank with me. [roll0], [roll1]

(The attack roll includes the +2 bonus for flanking.)

korvac42
2010-04-28, 06:59 PM
As the fight rages, the sounds awaken Zay from his fitful slumber, only to find a net opening above him and blocking out the surrounding world.

He struggles to his feat, crying into the night as he does. He struggles in the nets grasp as he cries out in the tenor of his song:

"Arise now daughters and sons,
this day must be won,
Be it hellfire or cold waters,
fight now, fight for tomorrows sun!"

Entagled by net.
Move to get up
Standard to begin bard song (+1 hit/damage/saves vs. fear, morale).

Jesse Drake
2010-04-28, 10:55 PM
Samuel will take in a deep breath. The lizard is his target- he'll exhale a cone of sonic energy, as blades of wind beat upon him.

DC 14 Ref. for Half Damage.

Cuaqchi
2010-04-29, 07:54 AM
Remaining Effects/Rolls

Lizardfolk vs. Samuel Ref Save [roll0]
Shaman Cast Bless; Effects Ranger and 3 others (marked).
Delamaine Move to Stand and Free to Draw morningstar, Attack Lizardfolk [roll1] Damage [roll2]
Tarenii Cast Sleep centered behind Ranger; Effects Ranger and Lizardfolk against Zaybxc. Will Saves - Ranger [roll3] / Lizardfolk [roll4] + Bless, Both Still Fail

Cuaqchi
2010-04-30, 08:08 AM
The lizardfolk ranger sleeps soundly...

With all of the chaos that had ensued half the camp was still taken by surprise in their sleep, and as the lizardfolk finished binding their captives within their nets they began to drag them back into the jungle and away from the warrior at the fire's edge.

Those that had failed to tie down their prey however were now fighting for their lives as the lizard against Delamaine reached to grab his spear while moving to avoid the man's weapon. The creature's luck ran out though as the man's morningstar took it in the side and dropped it.

Against Samuel the creature tried to wrestle him down, binding the net tight so that he could leave with what was obviously a powerful human. He only had to ensure that he kept the man alive for the priests and he would earn his own blade.

Seperate from the rest of the conflict another blast of air rushed out Samuel's tent, enveloping the lizard and dropping him to the ground. Suddenly free from the creature's harassing presence it was only a matter of pulling out of the tangled net.

Seeing the leader drop, and unable to summon any support before his foes would be on him the shaman backed his way deeper into the darkness, moving out of sight of the camp in his attempt to escape.

Stepping out of their respective tents weapons drawn Povolo and Delamaine looked around trying to find where the other creatures had hidden themselves, knowing full well that no one was safe if the monsters had penetrated the tentline.

Pulling himself from the net Zaybxc continued with his song, rousing those that could hear him to further acts of heroism.

Moving over to the wounded wounded swordsman Tarenii looked at Tuomas before laying a hand upon his shoulder and pouring a small amount of positive energy through the connection.

Driving his blade into the lizard's chest Tuomas struck for the heart causing a spurt of blood to erupt the creature's mouth as it spasmed and lay dead.

Updated Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ao5hqt2ywxuwdDZYZW1fTEJmd3d6X1h4alRfbkpiW Xc&hl=en&pli=1)

Those still sleeping are now awake and 'pinned' within the net as the lizardfolk are dragging you away over the rough ground. For attacks we have Delamaine's AoO [roll0] Damage [roll1], the lizardfolk if still alive will Attack w/ Short Spear[roll2] Damage [roll3], and a grapple attempt against Samuel to control the net long enough to 'pin' him. [roll4]

Jesse Drake
2010-04-30, 08:40 AM
Samuel doesn't like this. He tries to slip out of the lizard's grab. [roll0]-

Also, he'll use his breath weapon again. [roll1] DC 14 Ref. for Half.

vollmond
2010-04-30, 12:53 PM
Eric

"ZZzzzz-- What the.. hey! Hey!" Eric wakes up to find himself being bundled into a net and dragged away from the encampment. Why didn't anyone wake me? He struggles as the reptilian brute keeps dragging him through the underbrush, but quickly gives up when he realizes how well he is bound. Think fast, Eric.

Twisting and straining in the net, he pulls a crossbow bolt out of its loop on his belt, and begins hacking at the rope in front of his chest with it...

Really wish a dagger was standard issue :smallyuk: Guess this'll have to do. I expect the net is loose enough to allow me to do this.

Move: Draw bolt for use as improvised dagger
Standard: Attack the rope in front of me
[roll0] (+3 AB, -4 Imp Weapon)
[roll1]

Rope has hardness of 0, and 2 HP per inch of thickness. Base AC of 3.

Ernir
2010-05-04, 10:32 AM
"Hah! Not so tough now, are you?" Tuomas boasts, and drives the rapier into the now-sleeping lizardman next to him.

Full round action: Coup de Grace on the Ranger.
Damage: [roll0]

Cuaqchi
2010-05-05, 07:44 AM
Other rolls...

CLW on Tuomas [roll0]; Fort Save vs. CdG DC 28 [roll1]

Cuaqchi
2010-05-05, 07:51 AM
The lizards continue to flee the scene, dragging the now struggling orcs and humans with them.

With the lead of the net no longer held by the lizardfolk it didn't take to much work for Samuel to pull himself out, working it off his wings before kicking it off beneath him.

Now out of sight the shaman slips deeper into the darkness freeing himself of any pursuers that might try to scour the swamp.

Unable to see any further attackers Povolo moves back to his tent, and smashes his morningstar into the fallen lizardfolk ensuring that the creature would not rise again.

Grabbing his crossbow Delamaine moves around the camp to one of the small beaten paths, and trying to take aim at the fleeing lizardfolk fires a shot into the darkness.

Fighting against the rope like bonds Zaybxc is able to get his morning star into a position where he starts bashing away on an edge of the net, after sometime he does split a hole in the bindings and is able to slip through.

Shaking her head at the death of the lizardfolk Tarenii looks to Tuomas and says, "We should find the other attackers before they report what has happened, any chance at peace is lost if we are seen as murderers."

She then touches the man's rapier and with a short burst in celestial the weapon glows with the light of a torch. "May the goddess light your way warrior."

Slipping past the fire Tuomas made his way to northern path. The light from his sword revealing a lizard to either side of the path; one with an orcish prisoner, the turning to find Eric cutting his way free of a net.

Hacking at the vine netting Eric was able to tear a small hole without his captor seeming to notice; however, the bindings made of vine and fiberous plants were stiffer than he had expected and though he had broken free the lizard took note when the last bindings snapped to release the human.

Bouncing over the wet ground Saulliau awoke unsure of where he was or what had happened, only that he was bound in some kind of net and being dragged through the mud by a creature hidden in the darkness. Surrendering to panic he then proceeded to squirm and struggle, trying to worm his way out of the creature's grip and hopefully reach some form of freedom.

Updated Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ao5hqt2ywxuwdDZYZW1fTEJmd3d6X1h4alRfbkpiW Xc&hl=en&pli=1)

korvac42
2010-05-07, 03:37 PM
Zaybxc continues his martial melody, seeking to bolster the spirits of his allies in the face of darkness and confusion.

Meanwhile, he pulls out his weapons and begins bashing against his bonds in an attempt to make his way free.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jesse Drake
2010-05-11, 07:50 AM
All Samuel does is try to free his wings. He can get out of there if he can leap well enough.

vollmond
2010-05-11, 09:37 AM
Eric

Eric hurriedly climbs to his feet as his captor rounds on him. Tracing a shape in the air and mumbling an encantation, he begins to shine brightly, illuminating all his surroundings.

Move: Stand from prone (I assume). Provokes AoO.
Standard: Cast Light of Lunia

Ernir
2010-05-13, 11:52 AM
Tuomas, holding a weapon in each hand, runs up the path, intent on freeing those who are being dragged away.

Double move to L2.

Cuaqchi
2010-05-15, 04:22 PM
As the man with the light came running down the path the two lizardfolk turned to the attack, they couldn't run from the human with the xtra weight and he would know exactly where they went.

Against Eric the lizard pulled a short spear from the bindings along his shoulder, stabbing at the man before he could rise to his feet and threaten him.

Stepping out of his tent Samuel can only see Povolo standing guard on thier side of the camp. Surrounded by the darkness of the night there is only the sound of conflict in the trees to the far side breaking the silence.

Stepping forward to aid the orcish woman from her bindings Delamaine stays alert ready for a second wave of attackers.

Continuing his song Zaybxc moved to the center of camp hoping that those beyond the tentline could hear him and lift their spirits to finish the fight.

Standing guard by the bard Tarenii waited for the next enemies to show themselves paitent as the moon above her.

As the blade of Tuomas' rapier sweeps across the creature's chest it hisses, allowing the men to recognize the damage done, even if the wound had not been deep enough to fell the creature.

Standing and stepping away from the tattered net Eric speaks in the celestial tongue as an aura of light as bright as the sun illuminated the area around him and completely filled the shadows left by Tuomas' sword.

Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ao5hqt2ywxuwdDZYZW1fTEJmd3d6X1h4alRfbkpiW Xc&hl=en)

Lizard attack vs. Eric [roll0] damage [roll1]; Lizard attack vs. Tuomas [roll2] damage [roll3]; Lizard AoO vs. Eric [roll4] damage [roll5]

Jesse Drake
2010-05-19, 11:11 PM
Samuel steps out of the tent and checks the area to see what's going on. He's ready to pounce at any foes he sees. But seeing that there's no foes within reach, he just stands there.

Ernir
2010-06-09, 07:49 PM
Tuomas slashes at the lizardman next to him with both weapons.

"Well, you're not getting this one!"

Full attack.
Rapier: [roll0] for [roll1]
Dagger: [roll2] for [roll3]

Cuaqchi
2010-06-10, 07:34 AM
Trying again to strike at the two humans the lizardfolk struck with their spears glancing it off of the clerics armour and slipping within the joints of the swordman's armour for little more than scratch.

Leaping into the trees and cutting off the lizard's escape Tuomas tried to go for a combined strike with his twin blades. He was off his mark however, as the rapier whizzed over the creature's head and the dagger deflected off of the scaled hide.

With a sudden burst of light Eric released two bolts of pure light into the lizard attacking him but like his comrade he could not find his mark and instead of striking the creature he merely lit a path for the lizard to catch a glimpse of a possible escape route.

I have skipped ahead to the only important members of the team for what remains of the conflict, unless something wierd happens they should be able to finish things in short order. vs. Eric [roll0] [roll1]; vs. Tuomas [roll2] [roll3]

vollmond
2010-06-10, 03:03 PM
Finally free, Eric steps back from his captor, still glowing with divine radiance. Taking a deep breath, he focuses on the Lizardfolk. All the light in his body seems to flow across his skin and then leap at the creature, blasting it with destructive energy and leaving the clearing in its previous gloom. He then draws his weapon, ready for whatever may happen.

Free: 5' step back from the Lizardfolk
Standard: Ranged Touch Attacks:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Move: Draw Morningstar

edit: are you freaking serious?

Ernir
2010-06-12, 04:33 PM
Leaping into the bushes, Tuomas again tries to end the lizardman holding the prey.

Using Sudden Leap to try to get to M1, if it fails, I remain where I am. Acrobatics: [roll0]
Rapier attack: [roll1] for [roll2]
Dagger attack: [roll3] for [roll4]

Cuaqchi
2010-06-13, 03:25 PM
As the beams of magical light lanced past him the lizard paused for a moment and thinking better than to further provoke the shaman bolted, disappearing into the renewed darkness. His comrade however was not as lucky, trapped between the camp and the swordsman the lizard dropped his spear smiling at the human said in broken common. "Beaten, Give Up."

Ernir
2010-06-18, 04:50 PM
"Yeah, you better give up!" he shouts at the lizardman, bringing the rapier up to his chin.

Looking past him, without taking the rapier away, he calls towards the camp. "Did they get anyone?"

vollmond
2010-06-19, 12:01 AM
Eric

Limping back to camp, a bit bruised but otherwise unhurt, Eric says, "Not for lack of trying." Spying the dead lizardfolk, he snorts appreciatively. "Would that my light could work so efficiently. At least I got an opportunity to practice..."