PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of spell slots

Studoku
2010-02-16, 12:01 PM
When playing as my beguiler, I made a method of recording spell slots- the m&m method. I use an m&m for each spell slot- the colour represents the level.

It's going to cause problems when I get 6th level spells and run out of colours, but for now it's fun and tasty.

Does anyone else have slightly unorthodox ways of tracking spell slots?

Draz74
2010-02-16, 12:06 PM
It's going to cause problems when I get 6th level spells and run out of colours,
You'll have to buy Smarties or something too. :smallcool:

but for now it's fun and tasty.

Just avoid any abilities that recover lost spell slots ... that could be messy. :smallwink:

Viletta Vadim
2010-02-16, 12:09 PM
My main method is paperclips and index cards. For prepared casters, I have spell cards for all my spells, and use paperclips to mark which ones I have prepped. For spontaneous, I have an extra card at each level and just put a bunch of paperclips on that one card, taking 'em off as I cast my spells.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-16, 12:14 PM
My main method is paperclips and index cards. For prepared casters, I have spell cards for all my spells, and use paperclips to mark which ones I have prepped.

I tried this. It worked out fantastic until I stole 40 filled spellbooks from the mages guild(hah, DM with his "the guys you killed don't carry spellbooks. Guess the guild keeps them somewhere safe during the day"). The DM got sick of rolling and said "Screw it, you know everything from levels 1-4".

I got very bored with note cards.

Now I use a long, long list of spells, and just make tick marks next to the prepared ones. When I use metamagic, I have a letter or two instead. I erase them as I burn through them. The list has no spell details, but Ive memorized most relevant spells.

Tyrmatt
2010-02-16, 12:16 PM
I had a small A5 whiteboad which I just marked on how many of each spell slot I had or names of spells prepared. Simple to just trace finger across board and remove a spell or slot as it was cast.
A friend used to use Pokemon energy cards for a multitude of purposes like this, but they rather quickly ended up being a source of nutrition instead of markers for him. Apparently the yellow ones taste best.

FishAreWet
2010-02-16, 12:17 PM
Word document or Notebook and cross them off as I go.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-16, 12:40 PM
When playing as my beguiler, I made a method of recording spell slots- the m&m method. I use an m&m for each spell slot- the colour represents the level.

It's going to cause problems when I get 6th level spells and run out of colours, but for now it's fun and tasty.

Does anyone else have slightly unorthodox ways of tracking spell slots?

I like this idea. I may use it from now on.

ericgrau
2010-02-16, 12:44 PM
I write a number for each spell level onto a notecard, then another number in parenthesis equal to how many spell slots I get. Then I make tally marks until the marks equal the number of spell slots.

valadil
2010-02-16, 12:45 PM
M&Ms wouldn't work for me. I'd have no spells left before I even had a chance to cast.

I go with an annotated list. Spells are sorted by level. The level headers include DC and slots. Under each header I list available spells, SR, DCs, sometimes rules (I can never remember how Telekinesis actually works or what to roll for mirror image), and source book. If I'm spontaneous, I tick off spells as they're cast. If prepared I write a tick next to prepared spells and erase as I cast. Prepared metamagic doesn't work so well for this unless I limit myself to a few choice spells/mm combos.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 12:48 PM
I'd go through my slots too quickly this way :smallfrown:

Overshee
2010-02-16, 12:53 PM
I am kinda OCD so I design and print out power cards for each of my spells, and put them into a deck. I put my prepared spells out in front of me and flip them over after they've been used.

Works well, takes time to set up though.

Ormagoden
2010-02-16, 01:24 PM
You just have to be careful you don't cast any spells or else you might get

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/Ngreder/diabeetus.jpg

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-16, 01:26 PM
I track my spells with pennies. Heads means prepared, tails means used.

Greenish
2010-02-16, 01:38 PM
I track my spells with pennies. Heads means prepared, tails means used.Almost the same, but I use different euro bank notes. Fancy buildings up means I still have 1-7th level spells, all bridges means I'm out. (8rd and higher level spells are presented by diamonds I crush once they're used.)

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-16, 02:16 PM
I write a number for each spell level onto a notecard, then another number in parenthesis equal to how many spell slots I get. Then I make tally marks until the marks equal the number of spell slots.

I do the exact same thing. That's almost a bit creepy.:smalleek:

Nice idea, OP.