PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Items for Warlock

Overshee
2010-02-16, 03:05 PM
Hello all! I'm gonna be playing a Warlock in a game starting soon and I need some help. I've never played a Warlock before and while I think I have invocations figured out I need help deciding which items to get.

We're starting at level 6 with standard WBL (13,000 GP starting gold, but no more than 50% on any single item). I'm playing as a Petal (Tiny Fey), so I can already fly.

My sheet (so far) is here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=185507

BRC
2010-02-16, 03:32 PM
Hello all! I'm gonna be playing a Warlock in a game starting soon and I need some help. I've never played a Warlock before and while I think I have invocations figured out I need help deciding which items to get.

We're starting at level 6 with standard WBL (13,000 GP starting gold, but no more than 50% on any single item). I'm playing as a Petal (Tiny Fey), so I can already fly.

My sheet (so far) is here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=185507
You're small and you can fly, so you're fairly good as far as AC goes, and you've somehow managed to squeeze out a really good Con score.
Anyway, I'd definetally boost your saving throws, if you go up against something that deals strength damage you're going to be in big trouble. A warlock's strength is their endurance, their weakness is that they deal their damage alot slower than everybody else. Yes your blasts are powerful, but compared to a Wizard's spells, a fighter full attacking with power attack, or a rogue sneak attacking, you're not that good. You're just going to be able to provide a steady stream of fairly reliable damage.

As far as Items are concerned, I'd recommend a ring of Evasion when you can afford one. What books are available by the way?

Assuming core and Complete arcane for now, let me take a look.

A variety of Wands is always a good thing. Powerful Melee Fliers are going to be a problem, so a spell that causes creatures to lose their flight would be good. A Bag of Holding is always useful, especially because with your strength score you won't be able to carry very much. The standard dex/cha/con boosters are always good. Beads of Fireball can be useful if you want to lend your party some bomber support. For a panic button, get yourself a scroll of Summon Nature's Ally IV, so you can call up a medium air elemental to lend you a hand in the sky.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 04:07 PM
A Codex Advocare. It is a book that grants you an additional least invocation. Cost is around 20,000 and can be found in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft on page 212

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-16, 04:07 PM
Frightful Blast sucks. It's a -2 to anything not immune to mind-affecting. Not worth it.

Try See The Unseen for See Invis or Dark One's Own Luck for CHA to save of choice. Or Eldritch Glaive so you can hover over enemies and get full attacks. Not necessary yet, but will be more valuable as you progress.

I didn't see a Handy Haversack. With your size, this is going to be necessary.

Also, there's a neck-slot item which increases EB by +1d6 you should be able to afford.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 04:10 PM
Also, there's a neck-slot item which increases EB by +1d6 you should be able to afford.

ooh? Do you remember the name and will it stack with the rod that boosts EB?

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 04:13 PM
Grab a few wands of lesser restoration at spell level one from an archivist who nabs it from the paladin list (or an artificer who bypasses that). Actually, a few Wands of Cure Light Wounds (or lesser vigor if you have spell compendium) and Wands of Lesser Restoration (same method of making them MUCH cheaper) are handy for healing out of combat even if you aren't going Hellfire Warlock (if you aren't going Ur priest, you should do it if playing warlock, even if you can't dip binder).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-16, 04:25 PM
The neck item that boost Eldritch blast is the Chausable of fell power, don't know if it stacks with warlock scepter...

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-16, 04:33 PM
The neck item that boost Eldritch blast is the Chausable of fell power, don't know if it stacks with warlock scepter...

It explicitly does. Scepter blows charges to do more damage. Chasable just flat increases it. Both Untyped

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 04:51 PM
You need standard items like a bedroll or food/water/cloths If you use evocations with save DCs, grab an item of charisma [/obvious].

Wands (again) are always good for someone with UMD as a class skill. Eternal wands of extened ropetrick is always good. A rod of ropes is also nifty.

Grab a Ring of Prestidigitation (.5*1*2000=1000, command word item is 100 gold cheaper, but a permanent one has its effects last forever.)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-16, 04:56 PM
You need standard items like a bedroll or food/water/cloths If you use invocations with save DCs, grab an item of charisma [/obvious].

Wands (again) are always good for someone with UMD as a class skill. Eternal wands of extened ropetrick is always good. A rod of ropes is also nifty.

Grab a Ring of Prestidigitation (.5*1*2000=1000, command word item is 100 gold cheaper, but a permanent one has its effects last forever.)

fixed that for you, evocation is the suckiest magic school.

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 05:00 PM
Or shooting yourself in the head >_>. Always get evocation/invocation mixed up

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-16, 05:08 PM
Also, if you are doing a lot of blasting into melee, there's a Rod which gives you Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and x times/day, Improved Precise Shot.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 05:09 PM
Or shooting yourself in the head >_>. Always get evocation/evocation mixed up

:smallconfused:

Evocation/Invocation?

Gnaritas
2010-02-16, 06:08 PM
I didn't ready any posts so sorry if i post already posted items:

These are specific warlock items, there are tons of usefull items for any character.

Chasuble of Fell Power (8.000 gp, complete arcane)
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (2.500 gp, MIC, p105)
Piercer Cloak (900 gp, MIC) <- nice and cheap!!
Warlock Scepter (8.305 gp, MIC, p63)

CTLC
2010-02-16, 06:26 PM
If you want a stealthy approach there is an umbral collar thing in... BovD? lords of madness, something like that. Its good for hiding and shooting, and your bonus to hide means you should totally think about stealthy thangs.

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 06:27 PM
Tome of Magic.

sombrastewart
2010-02-16, 06:36 PM
+1 on Chausible of Fell Power and Warlock's Scepter. The Scepter even grants a +2 (or is it 3) profane bonus to hit with ranged touch attacks.

Grab an Artificier's Monocle from the MIC. It's extremely handy to have an unlimited use Identify without the need of burning material components every time.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 06:38 PM
Quick warlocky question: Any way (preferably with a feat or invocation) for a warlock to get healing powers? Best I can find is the Spellfire Wielder feat from magic of faerun.

Gnaritas
2010-02-16, 06:54 PM
There is a PrC that gives a Healing Blast of some kind. In Complete Arcane or Mage i think.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-16, 07:11 PM
Naah. Current build can't support the needed levels for that.

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 07:38 PM
Quick warlocky question: Any way (preferably with a feat or invocation) for a warlock to get healing powers? Best I can find is the Spellfire Wielder feat from magic of faerun.

Wands of Cure Light Wounds/Lesser Vigor are the most effective healing beyond a Dread Necro touching himself/other infinite healing tricks, and you have UMD as a class skill...

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-02-17, 12:31 AM

Actually, yes... although it kinda sucks.

The trick uses the Favored Soul from Complete Mage, and the 9th level ability Transform Magic. You Greater Dispel Magic something and heal yourself or ally 5 points per spell level. Doesn't work on your own invocations though.

That's you have a Warlock for a cohort. He raises some invocation buff, you dispel it for healing. Repeat ad nauseum. Unlimited healing in 5 point shots.

Just stick to wands of cure x/lesser vigor

EDIT: Also, Rod of Magical Precision, if you are firing into crowds, can be very handy.

Os1ris09
2010-02-17, 02:55 AM
Frightful Blast sucks. It's a -2 to anything not immune to mind-affecting. Not worth it.

Try See The Unseen for See Invis or Dark One's Own Luck for CHA to save of choice. Or Eldritch Glaive so you can hover over enemies and get full attacks. Not necessary yet, but will be more valuable as you progress.

I didn't see a Handy Haversack. With your size, this is going to be necessary.

Does anyone know where I can find eldritch glaive?

olentu
2010-02-17, 03:00 AM
Does anyone know where I can find eldritch glaive?

Dragon magic.