PDA

View Full Version : dunno what class to be for this character...

agumathebear
2010-02-16, 03:29 PM
ok, he's got a huge story, and im not sure how to fill it...

he is a spy for the king, infiltrating another nation (who just started a crusade against another) and his job is to determine if their cause is just or not. he's also a knight, so he has a small plot of land and some squires and whatnot, and eventually he will gain his own kingdom, and he will either be betrayed or lose the city to a raid or something, anyway, he will then become more of a haunted outlaw, roaming the countryside, at first his only goal will be to reclaim his city, but eventually he will succomb to the dark side and only care about gold and blood.

civil war guns exsist in this game, so there are revolvers and shotguns and such, but swords and arrows are favored over guns because they dont require gunpowder and are much cheaper...

we use pretty much any prestige class, and i own most of the books, including the ultimate prestige classes I and II, idk if we have III or not. and we can use other classes, just with some tweaking, like perhaps some d20 western or d20 past stuff, idc, just whatever you guys think! :smalltongue:

Toliudar
2010-02-16, 03:39 PM
Depending on the nature how he deals with situations personally, it sounds like starting him out as a warblade or crusader might give you the most options. At what level are you building this guy to start? And at what part of that history are you starting play?

BRC
2010-02-16, 03:45 PM
Is this a PC or an NPC, either way, I'd be careful. It sounds like you've planned out the entire campaign ahead of time. Don't be sure that he's going to eventually get his own kingdom and all, really, as PC, you can have goals, but don't write your character's story ahead of time (writing their backstory is okay, but don't say "And then the DM will give me a kingdom, but I will lose it and become a hunted outlaw").

As for a class, what game is this? Assuming DnD 3.5...
You introduce him as a Spy, this may just be my personal bias here, but that says Rogue to me, however you have him doing a variety of things over the course of his life. Personally, I might have to go with Factotum for this guy. Really, if all you have is that story, he could fit almost any class besides Barbarian and perhaps Paladin or Cleric, and even then with minimal DM shenanigans those could work too.

You have his story, now imagine who he is. How do you picture this guy looking, what do you picture him doing.

Proven_Paradox
2010-02-16, 03:46 PM
What means is he using to infiltrate the other kingdom? Social, or stealth?

If the former, see if you can convince the DM to let you switch some class skills around and get Bluff and Sense Motive on a Crusader or Warblade.

If he's using stealth, really, any stealth capable class could fit the concept. Rogue, Swordsage, and Factotum probably end up working best. Beguiler would work okay if you want to give him some magic capabilities.

agumathebear
2010-02-16, 03:48 PM
we actually have already started a campaign, right now he's rogue3/knight5(phII)/knight3(ultimate prestige classes I), but i dont know, it just doesnt sit right. i was thinking of making him an agent of the crown. the way he deals with stuff is he never attacks a flat footed opponent, and his honor is everything, he accepts all challenges to duel, safeguards the helpless, etc. but after he loses his kingdom he still safeguards the helpless and doesnt attack flat footed and stuff, but he's much more lethal, probably using revolvers or shotguns instead of a sword. for instance, if he heard that someone's duaghter was kidnapped by bandits, he'd still happily help rescue her even if he didnt get a reward, but the outcome of those who stole her will probably be a bloody mess lol!

BRC
2010-02-16, 03:50 PM
we actually have already started a campaign, right now he's rogue3/knight5(phII)/knight3(ultimate prestige classes I), but i dont know, it just doesnt sit right. i was thinking of making him an agent of the crown. the way he deals with stuff is he never attacks a flat footed opponent, and his honor is everything, he accepts all challenges to duel, safeguards the helpless, etc. but after he loses his kingdom he still safeguards the helpless and doesnt attack flat footed and stuff, but he's much more lethal, probably using revolvers or shotguns instead of a sword. for instance, if he heard that someone's duaghter was kidnapped by bandits, he'd still happily help rescue her even if he didnt get a reward, but the outcome of those who stole her will probably be a bloody mess lol!
Sounds like Knight is a good match for this guy, at least fluff wise, though knights are kind of meant to be meleers.

I don't know which firearm rules you are using, but if your DM lets you rebuild him for the "Bandit" phase of his life, a ranger might work out well.

Godskook
2010-02-16, 04:06 PM
What level?

Seconding the Beguiler recommendation.

Although, Daggerspell Mage has some interesting fluff interaction if you want to go a sort-of state-sponsored Zoro.

As for the sublime classes, unless you're using able-learner and multiclassing, I don't think any of them fit the concept, skill-wise.

And then there's Warlock or DFA, which would make both a great general choice or a great dip, due to the social invocation, beguiling influence.