PDA

View Full Version : 2nd favorite (or fav besides D&D) RPG?

randomhero00
2010-02-16, 04:27 PM
So obviously D&D is the primary subject around here, just wondering what's your favorite besides that? Mine would have to be Exalted. I have some epic memories from that game. The style was fantastic, and even more so, just the best group of people I happened to game with. I'm an anime fan, and being able to do anime style stunts in combat was epic. Plus I liked that you started out feeling quite powerful, in D&D I hate starting at lvl 1 battling goblins and kobolds and such. The flavor from that game was just so much awesome.

Kurald Galain
2010-02-16, 04:29 PM
Anything by Whitewolf, particularly Werewolf The Apocalypse.

Paranoia.

Call of Chtulhu.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-02-16, 04:32 PM
Star Wars Saga Edition RPG -- I love the mechanics, though I find it a little annoying how it is tied to the Star Wars setting.

mikeejimbo
2010-02-16, 04:33 PM
D&D is my second favorite.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-16, 04:34 PM
1st Favorite is Mutants & Masterminds.

2nd Favorite is Unisystem.

3rd Favorite is Qin: the Warring States (or just Qin).

4th Favorite is Exalted.

Was I supposed to put D&D in there somewhere? I hope not - it would be lying and lying is wrong.

randomhero00
2010-02-16, 04:37 PM
"2nd favorite (or fav besides D&D) RPG?"

fav standing for favorite. i.e. tell me your favorite, if it isn't already D&D :)

Project_Mayhem
2010-02-16, 04:37 PM
Heh. D&D barely hits my top 10.

At the moment I'm going to argue that 'The Extraordinary adventures of Baron Munchausen' is the best rpg ever.

randomhero00
2010-02-16, 04:39 PM
Wow, I'm surprised. With how much D&D is discussed here I figured it'd be 80% of everyone's favorite. Glad I asked. So why so few threads about other games?

WalkingTarget
2010-02-16, 04:42 PM
D&D is common here because that's where the site started (and what oots is related to). And don't get us wrong, there are probably a lot of people here whose favorite game is D&D, they just didn't post yet.

CoC, Deadlands, Exalted (in no particular order).

Zom B
2010-02-16, 04:43 PM
For versatility, I have always preferred the West End Games d6 system. All you have to do is raid your Yahtzee and Monopoly board (or hit up your local dollar store, the one here has packs of 6 d6 for, well, $1), and have a good knowledge of its workings or a friend with the sourcebook and you're ready to go. It's so easy to add new mechanics to the game.

Dratsabre Tsabala
2010-02-16, 04:48 PM
So why so few threads about other games?

Law of averages. This is the messageboard for a D&D Comic, after all. There are too many threads about the king of the ring for the also-rans to stay afloat for long.

That being said, my answer to the OP would have to be "Shadowrun." I thought it was pretty mediocre until I started GMing my own game. As long as you keep it rules-light and adequately jerry-rig the vehicle combat rules, it's about as much fun as you can have sitting around a table.

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-16, 04:54 PM
Shadowrun, Exalted, and Star Wars Saga Edition all hold places in my heart - had lots of fond memories with each. :smallsmile:

Totally Guy
2010-02-16, 05:15 PM
Burning Wheel for many reasons.

The Belief and Instincts system allows the player to choose what behaviour they'll be rewarded for and empowers the players to shape the story.

The advancement system encourages the players to push their characters to the limits.

The social mechanics are solid. In a Duel of Wits (an argument) the player needs to know what they are roleplaying, their argument strategy and partially the luck of the dice.

The Wise mechanics, these skills allow the character to state some fact about the game world. It may or may not be true. Succeeding this roll makes it true. The players can have a good hand in what the world is like through skilful use of these.

The Circles mechanics, you describe an NPC you want to find, succeed the roll and you meet the NPC. This could be anyone, you can describe people the GM hadn't even considered. There's some serious player power here.

Fighting is good too. Winning position is key to these, if you've got a polearm you can keep people back but if you have a dagger you want to be right on top of your opponent.

Being of your race really means something. The rules reinforce the flavour of the race.

The system is not strictly balanced but kept as representative of the Tolkienesque/Real world sensibilities as possible. There's all kinds of neat, funny and cool things you can do. A player wanted to make a surgeon, he gave me an educated noble that became a doctor, I showed him a crazy slave pirate ship doctor that could do it very differently.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-16, 05:45 PM
Not played a lot of RPG besides D&D but Paranoia and Vampire The Mascarade are awesome. Also BESM d20 is great fun,

Glimbur
2010-02-16, 05:50 PM
I'm a big fan of running games in the Wuthering Heights system. I simply set up a problem table and a setting with some characters, and the players take it from there. It is a lot of fun seeing what people do in a semi-realistic setting with the realization that this is a one-shot and so consequences might not catch them.

longtooth878
2010-02-16, 06:37 PM
I have been thinking about this for awhile... Here is the top 5.

1. 3rd Ed
2. Gurps
3. original Runequest
4. Champions
5. Role Master

:smallcool:

erikun
2010-02-16, 06:46 PM
D&D isn't one of my favorites, and I generally recommend another system before D&D. I usually end up playing D&D, though, because that's what others are playing or familiar with. I'm certainly not opposed to new systems.

Also, I tend to prefer different systems for different purposes. For my favorites:

World of Darkness, including the various books from both old and new. I've been playing White Wolf's games on and off since D&D 2nd edition, so I'm rather familiar with the system. It helps that the old/new divide isn't that deep, as you could transfer interesting ideas between the two with a little work. Having a core rulebook is also very handy for picking and choosing what you like in your games.

Mutants and Masterminds gets the "most like D&D without being D&D" award. It keeps the strong points of D&D while taking the strong points of point-buy systems like Tri-Stat. Easy to put together and fun to play, although with some weird abstractions that keep it from being a preferred "universal" system.

Burning Wheel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_Wheel) is my preferred "gritty realistic" system, and one I'd rather run over D&D. Glug mentioned a lot of high points. My biggest issue is that it isn't very open to homebrewing, so you'll need to be sure the system covers all the player options you want.

Shadowrun/Eclipse Phase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_Phase_(role-playing_game)). Shadowrun has an extremely unique setting, and the game system just enforces the you-will-die-if-you-are-stupid mentality. Eclipse Phase is a new system I recently purchased, and seems to share a lot of aspects with Shadowrun... along with options of exploration and discovery, which really weren't very present in the Shadowrunverse. I've listed the two together because I haven't had a chance to run an Eclipse Phase game yet. The system looks interesting, but I wouldn't consider it a recommended or favorite until I've given it a trial run or two.

randomhero00
2010-02-16, 06:53 PM
I wonder how popular D&D really is (not just on these forums)? I can only find D&D games where I live for the most part, but almost everyone I talk to would love to run something else. I wonder if its just played cause its just played the most.

NeoVid
2010-02-16, 07:00 PM
Feng Shui.

Adventure!

And most of the WoD (both).

GenPol
2010-02-16, 07:06 PM
I think I'd have to go with Big Eyes, Small Mouth 3rd Edition. Actually, I think I might like it even better than DnD....

I assume you mean 3.5? Not wanting to start an edition wars here, but I think I like 3.5 and 4e equally. I have always wanted to try 2e AD&D though, just to see what it's like.

The Demented One
2010-02-16, 07:07 PM
Oh, Exalted, by far and away. I think Unknown Armies and Nobilis are probably strangling each other over a shot at 2nd.

Knaight
2010-02-16, 07:15 PM
D&D might scrape the top 100 for me. But on favorites.

1) Fudge
2) Fate, Spirit of the Century
3) Paranoia
4) Burning Wheel
5) GURPS Lite.

Grumman
2010-02-16, 07:24 PM
Gorkamorka is a lot closer to being an RPG than Cyberpunk 2020 is to being my second favourite, so I'd have to say Gorkamorka.

Vortling
2010-02-16, 07:37 PM
Mine leads off with PDQ and Savage Worlds. D&D is somewhere in the top 5, depending on edition.

TheOOB
2010-02-16, 08:05 PM
Hmmm

1) 7th Sea
2) Exalted
3) D&D
4) New World of Darkness
5) Shadowrun
6) Paranoia

Knaight
2010-02-16, 08:18 PM
7th sea is amazing. Except for the d20 version. Kind of like Legend of the Five Rings really.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-16, 08:21 PM
1. 3.5 ed. Just so you know, it will always hold a special place in my heart.
Whenever I hear about games that aren't D&D, I get the feeling that the DM of an already established group found a game that functioned with that group's playstyle better. It's not like you can move to a new state and find a local game group that plays CoC. At least, not as easily as you can find a D&D group. I imagine when I get a well-established game-group, I'll branch out. Until then...
I've only (besides 3.5) played Risus. At 4 AM. Our party just stabbed things, then killed each other. Or themselves. Repeatedly. For about 2 hours. Sure, it was fun, it was just... lacking in anything.

Knaight
2010-02-16, 08:28 PM
This does explain the 3.5 favorite system quite well.

Kaun
2010-02-16, 08:29 PM
Gorkamorka is a lot closer to being an RPG than Cyberpunk 2020 is to being my second favourite, so I'd have to say Gorkamorka.

i can think of no beter way to say this so....

wut???

PS. although i have good memories from DnD it dosent rate in my tp 5.

Deadlands and shadowrun are definatly right up there.

Dienekes
2010-02-16, 08:31 PM
In no specific order

GURPS
The Riddle of Steel (only just got and played 3 or so games but it's very fun)
Saga Edition.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-16, 08:32 PM
The Riddle of Steel (only just got and played 3 or so games but it's very fun)

Where and how did you get The Riddle of Steel? I've been looking for a copy for ages.

Dienekes
2010-02-16, 08:34 PM
Where and how did you get The Riddle of Steel? I've been looking for a copy for ages.

Buy it now on ebay for about $50, Flower of battle for $40. I got very very lucky. I've seen both charged up to $100.

Raum
2010-02-16, 08:51 PM
So obviously D&D is the primary subject around here, just wondering what's your favorite besides that? D&D, at least recent versions, don't even make the top ten as far as my favorites go. They're just what I've played because friends wanted to play. :smallwink:

My top favorites (right now, they change) include Savage Worlds, Unisystem, and Shadowrun. Though my liking for Shadowrun is at least partially nostalgia, not sure I'll ever play it again.

Wow, I'm surprised. With how much D&D is discussed here I figured it'd be 80% of everyone's favorite. Glad I asked. So why so few threads about other games?D&D is still the most commonly played game, even for many of us who prefer other games. It simply has too much market penetration to ignore. Also, older versions were 'favorites'. AD&D certainly makes my top 10, possibly even my top 5.

Most role players don't try very many different games when it comes down to it. For that matter, there was at least a decade where I only played AD&D and Shadowrun. Few players seem all that interested in trying new games...so we end up with one game (D&D) with the vast majority of market share, a few others (Shadowrun, WoD, Gurps, etc) with most of the remainder, and then a bunch of systems which probably only have a few thousand (or less) followers.

Xenogears
2010-02-16, 08:54 PM
Most role players don't try very many different games when it comes down to it. For that matter, there was at least a decade where I only played AD&D and Shadowrun. Few players seem all that interested in trying new games...so we end up with one game (D&D) with the vast majority of market share, a few others (Shadowrun, WoD, Gurps, etc) with most of the remainder, and then a bunch of systems which probably only have a few thousand (or less) followers.

For a lot of us its not lack of interest but lack of funds. I can get the core rules for 3.5 online and have a few books that I got from my brother. I have access to a couple nWoD books that my Fiance bought so I can play that too. I don't have enough extra money to spend on buying new systems so therefor I don't play anything else.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-16, 09:00 PM
For a lot of us its not lack of interest but lack of funds.

Let me (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=692&it=1&filters=0_0_0_10097_0) enlighten you (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=368&it=1&filters=0_0_2141_0_0&free=1), then. :smalltongue:

Infernum
2010-02-16, 09:04 PM
I would have to say either Blood of Heros or WhiteWolfs Exalted.

Raum
2010-02-16, 09:17 PM
For a lot of us its not lack of interest but lack of funds. That's certainly part of the equation. But, look at it from a perspective of RPGs in general. They've been around four, maybe five decades. Through that entire time a single company has dominated the market. Part of that domination was driven by a good product line but part is also driven simply by inertia - when you're nearly the only RPG on bookstore shelves, what else will people purchase?

For those like yourself who are interested in exploring other systems, the internet is a fantastic boon. There are several free systems now, not just D20. Of the systems mentioned in this thread, there are free versions of d6 (WEG's system for Star Wars and other games), Unisystem, FATE, Fudge, Risus, and others. There are also free test versions of BRP, Gurps, Savage Worlds, and some others. There's a lot out there now, enjoy!

Thurbane
2010-02-16, 09:26 PM
Geez...been a long, LONG time since I played aything other than D&D. Started on Basic & 1E, then move to 2E, and currently playing 3.X.

Of the others games I've played in the past, I really enjoyed my stint at Twilight 2000. I still have fond memories of my character, an annoying little captain modelled on Higgins from Magnum PI. His brilliant military career came to and end while charging a T72 tank with an Uzi in one hand, and a grenade in the other.

Me: Is the turret facing away from me at the moment?
GM: Yes, it's turned the other way.
Me: I quickly run up and try to get a grenade in through the top hatch!
GM: *roll roll roll* You are hit by a large number of bullets from the heavy MG which swivels independantly of the main gun.
Me: @#$%, of course it does! *facepalm*

...good times. :smallbiggrin:

Aik
2010-02-16, 09:34 PM
Don't Rest Your Head, The Pool, and Archipelago II. Were I better funded, I would probably have a lot more systems - my wish-list is quite long.

I don't play D&D, but I appreciate the discussion/culture that surrounds it. Would probably drive me insane actually playing it.

AgentPaper
2010-02-16, 10:12 PM
Definitely DnD 4E is first for me, with 3.5 in a distant second, though those are the only two RPGs I've played, so take that with a grain of salt. There is a system called Ars Magica or somesuch that I've heard a bit about that seems like it would be better than 3.5 for the only thing I would prefer 3.5 for (a place where magic is really powerful and non-casters aren't supposed to compete) since it's designed with that in mind and all.

Xenogears
2010-02-16, 10:46 PM
For those like yourself who are interested in exploring other systems, the internet is a fantastic boon. There are several free systems now, not just D20. Of the systems mentioned in this thread, there are free versions of d6 (WEG's system for Star Wars and other games), Unisystem, FATE, Fudge, Risus, and others. There are also free test versions of BRP, Gurps, Savage Worlds, and some others. There's a lot out there now, enjoy!

I've tried before but I just can't learn a new game through Pdf's. Gimme a hard copy and an hour to read it (depending on length of course) and I'm good enough to make a character but I just can't manage it with Pdf's or online learning. I need the books themselves which are not often free.

Lappy9000
2010-02-16, 10:51 PM
Rogue Trader can be quite a blast, although I've never played Dark Heresy, ironically.

My first favorite technically isn't D&D 3.5, it's d20: Rebirth.

Remmirath
2010-02-16, 11:00 PM
3E D&D would be my favourite, I suppose. I'm still partial to 1E, though I've not actually managed to play it in quite some time. Still, I count D&D as one thing, in general, so my second favourite is certainly MERP.

I've only played occasional games in any system other than those.

AdmiralCheez
2010-02-16, 11:10 PM
Our group recently got into Pathfinder, which is pretty much 3.5 with a lot of the bugs fixed.

The other game system that's popular around here is any of the Palladium games, particularly Heroes Unlimited and Rifts.

Raum
2010-02-16, 11:13 PM
I've tried before but I just can't learn a new game through Pdf's. Gimme a hard copy and an hour to read it (depending on length of course) and I'm good enough to make a character but I just can't manage it with Pdf's or online learning. I need the books themselves which are not often free.There are still some options. Games like Savage Worlds ($10) are relatively cheap but I'd recommend picking up a cheap laser printer. That will let you print out the free pdf's you may be interested in.

Or pick up an eReader. :)

Xenogears
2010-02-16, 11:19 PM
There are still some options. Games like Savage Worlds ($10) are relatively cheap but I'd recommend picking up a cheap laser printer. That will let you print out the free pdf's you may be interested in.

Or pick up an eReader. :)

I have actual read Savage Worlds and liked it. Made myself a Fat, One-Legged man who was the sexiest man around, had super-running speed, and was sneaky as hell. Never got to play him unfortunately.

TheOOB
2010-02-17, 05:14 AM
That's certainly part of the equation. But, look at it from a perspective of RPGs in general. They've been around four, maybe five decades. Through that entire time a single company has dominated the market. Part of that domination was driven by a good product line but part is also driven simply by inertia - when you're nearly the only RPG on bookstore shelves, what else will people purchase?

Apart from market inertia, D&D also had an advantage in that it is easier for new players to get into an understand the idea. Orginally, D&D was a chainmail adaptation, and for it's first few editions it was like a wargame with an emphasis on single characters rather than large groups. In this way D&D found more of an audience, there where more wargamers willing to try a game where you play as one character than there where method actors willing to conform to a set of rules(White Wolfs offerings being based on acting and storytelling more than wargames)

In time, the Video Game RPG genre came about by first copying D&D, and later refining it, eventually creating modern RPGs and MMORPGs. D&D has, in turn adapted it's system to take on many of the more refined elements in video game RPGs(for good or for ill, I'm not taking sides at the moment), in an effort to attract a wider player base. D&D 4e in particular, while remaining true to it's wargame roots, takes a lot from MMORPGs(which in themselves are very wargame-ish) in it's system of classes and powers.

D&D is less of a departure from what people expect, as now adays most people expect a non-electronic version of electronic RPGs, and D&D had stepped up to the plate and given the players what they espect, and doing so has made WotC alot of money.

On the other hand, most the people who post on this board are more experienced role players, we have played long enough that we are willing to try other systems that run against the common grain a little, systems that are not structured in the same way as a Video Game. Most good systems tend to do one or two things really well, and usually they don't do otherthings as well. D&D is a great high fantasy tactical combat game, but that is all it is really great at. Systems like the storyteller system(white wolf) tend to function as a better medium for pure roleplay(as they don't restrict your actions by narrow powers, skills, spells, and what not), while other systems tend to specialize in different elements.

In short, a significant amount of the RPG playing population start with D&D because it is not only the most prolific system, but it meets our sensibilities as to what a role playing game is, and many players are happy to stay there, but many other players will eventually go searching for the system that does what they want.

In my case, I love swashbuckling action, things like Princess Bride, Robin Hood, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Three Musketeers are some of my favorite Role Playing inspirations, ergo I like 7th Sea the best, as no other system I've played captures the feel I'm looking for better.

Anyways, just a final personal note, I wish the d20 system would stop getting repackaged. d20 was designed for heroic high fantasy tactical combat games(D&D), just because you can make something for it, doesn't mean you should. Some of them are good(Star Wars: Saga Edition, True20), and some are very bad(Swashbuckling Adventures, d20 Modern). Now I think I might have to hide for insulting d20 modern.

Kaiyanwang
2010-02-17, 05:41 AM
White Wolf Old World of Darkness.

Not attacking the new one... simply, I played with the old one and I loved the setting.

Sadly, I wanted to play a werewolf, but those emos ante litteram of my friends preferred vampires :smallfrown:

And oh, I had a blast with Dylan Dog RPG, too..

Danger Jim
2010-02-17, 07:37 AM
I suppose I would have to say that my favorite is D&D, simply because I have gobs more experience with that than with any other. However, my first RPG was Legend of the Five Rings, and that game will always have a very special place in my heart.

BobVosh
2010-02-17, 07:50 AM
In no particular order:
Changeling (OWoD, haven't had a chance to play the new ones)
Rifts as my first RPG will always be special. Bad system though, really.
Paranoia
Shadowrun 3ed fluff, 4ed wireless stuff
Deadlands...the nonD20 version. Was a fun system, although I don't remember what it is called.

Anyway I mostly play 3.5/PF. I don't hate the system, but I'm not terribly fond of it. Probably makes top 10.

Tengu_temp
2010-02-17, 07:51 AM
1. Mutants and Masterminds 2e
2. Exalted
3. Earthdawn

As for DND, 4e is okay but not even close to these, 3.x is far, far below, and AD&D is most likely on the list of my top 5 least favorite RPGs. But people who know me knew all this already.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 07:55 AM
1-Rifts
2-Shadowrun 4e
3-Twilight 2013
4-Serenity
5-D&D 3.x Mostly I like to tinker with builds, but I prefer to play classless systems

potatocubed
2010-02-17, 08:02 AM
Probably Nobilis.

Burning Empires, Exalted, and FATE also hang around near the top.

And Rifts, when I'm in a really gonzo mood. :smalltongue:

WalkingTarget
2010-02-17, 09:10 AM
Deadlands...the nonD20 version. Was a fun system, although I don't remember what it is called.

I don't think the system itself had a name separate from the Deadlands game itself (i.e. it would just be the Deadlands System). Too much of it was tied into the setting to easily port it to another. It was used in a simplified way when they developed Brave New World and, later, Savage Worlds.

Raum
2010-02-17, 09:51 AM
Apart from market inertia, D&D also had an advantage in that it is easier for new players to get into an understand the idea. Orginally, D&D was a chainmail adaptation, and for it's first few editions it was like a wargame with an emphasis on single characters rather than large groups. In this way D&D found more of an audience, there where more wargamers willing to try a game where you play as one character than there where method actors willing to conform to a set of rules(White Wolfs offerings being based on acting and storytelling more than wargames)Easier than what? There are many simpler games out that still have the traditional feel. Some have been out almost as long as D&D - Over the Edge comes to mind.

I think 'easy to understand' has far less to do with D&D's popularity than you imply. D&D is simply the name everyone knows. It's the first RPG most hear of and the one RPG you can expect non-gamers to have heard of. Consequently, it's the first (and sometimes only) RPG played by the majority of gamers.

I'm not even going to touch on the 'video game' criticism. I'll save that for another thread. :smallwink:

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-17, 10:08 AM
GURPS, Iron Heroes (technically still D&D but whatever), D&D. I have been wanting to check out exalted and shadowrun/WoD for a while, but never got the chance...

bosssmiley
2010-02-17, 12:51 PM
WFRP for hilarity;
Labyrinth Lord for ease of use;
Pendragon for theme and tone;
Fading Suns for gonzo kitchen sinkery. (http://vaultsofnagoh.blogspot.com/2009/07/desert-island-rpgs.html)

Ormagoden
2010-02-17, 02:09 PM
Top 5
1 Shadowrun (3rd ed)
2 Dungeons and dragons (Ad&d, 3.X)
3 Werewolf the apocalypse
4 Starwars Saga
5 Amber Diceless RPG
Honorable mention
Rifts
Dungeons and dragons 4E

LibraryOgre
2010-02-17, 02:42 PM
Currently, my top game is d6 Star Wars, specifically the 2nd edition Revised and expanded. After that, I'd probably have to go with Castles and Crusades. Also high on the list would be Earthdawn (1st edition), Ars Magica, Cinematic Unisystem, and Shadowrun (especially for the world). I like the mechanical concepts of L5R 3e, but I'm not a fan of the world (or Oriental fantasy in general). I've got a fondness for both editions of AD&D, and a lot of knowledge of Palladium, especially Palladium Fantasy, though I've stepped away from the company and the product in the past few months.

3.x, Pathfinder, and 4e are in my "Will tolerate as a player" list.

Overshee
2010-02-17, 02:46 PM
Eclipse Phase is my current "darling" RPG (btw I'm thinking of running a game via IRC, PM if interested)

I'll also always love Exalted, because it was my first RPG.

Shadowrun is awesome as well.

Indon
2010-02-17, 02:49 PM
Exalted is my favorite RPG system, followed by the D20 amalgamation, then Old World of Darkness.

Knaight
2010-02-17, 02:54 PM
Definitely DnD 4E is first for me, with 3.5 in a distant second, though those are the only two RPGs I've played, so take that with a grain of salt. There is a system called Ars Magica or somesuch that I've heard a bit about that seems like it would be better than 3.5 for the only thing I would prefer 3.5 for (a place where magic is really powerful and non-casters aren't supposed to compete) since it's designed with that in mind and all.

4th edition Ars Magica is free on PDF, and it is a beautiful, beautiful system. Go look at it, because even if you dislike the game, you can grab the general concept of the magic system and let it inspire you. That's right Steffan (http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/4by5.html), we know where this one came from.

The J Pizzel
2010-02-17, 03:21 PM
Star Wars SAGA is my favorite; followed by DnD 4E/3.5. I like them both for different reasons. But SAGA is hands down my favorite.

disclaimer - I haven't played many others.

sailor_grenoble
2010-02-17, 05:00 PM
Favorite game: GURPS
then, in no particular order: HARP, Qin, Runequest III (MPRQ II seems quite good, but I haven't played it yet) and Dragon Warriors.

D&D 4th is somewhere between 6th and 20th rank (it's difficult to rank games, apart from the extremes)

D&D 3.X's rank is 83 on my list of games I have played or run (only Hero and Savage Worlds are below)

Evard
2010-02-17, 06:04 PM
Of the ones I've played? FFRPG

But BESM looks and sounds pretty awesome, I've just never had the chance to play it XD

Knaight
2010-02-17, 06:13 PM
D&D 3.X's rank is 83 on my list of games I have played or run (only Hero and Savage Worlds are below)

I haven't run Hero, although from what I've seen, I'm with you on this. Savage Worlds needs to be broken into about 3 games, re-fleshed out, and toned down in arrogance. Then it will be awesome.

Morty
2010-02-18, 12:10 PM
D&D 3.5 isn't my favorite either, even though I like it. But since I don't have that much experience with other systems, there aren't that many games that I could classify as "better". I like WFRPG's premise, but the mechanics are somewhat lacking. GURPS looks like a very good system, because it's detailed and supports low-powered play, but I don't have much experience with it. Riddle of Steel looks like a rare game with actually realistic combat. AD&D seems to contain some very decent ideas, but I'm not sure if it's better than 3.5 on the whole.

Hyozo
2010-02-18, 02:12 PM
D&D 3.5, D&D 4e, and Mutants and Masterminds are currently my top 3. Meanwhile, Paranoia and Shadowrun are both making schemes behind their backs, planning to usurp one of those positions just as soon as I actually manage to play/run either of them.