PDA

View Full Version : Powers a wilder should have.

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 05:09 PM
Okay i'm playing a golem wilder i'm at level 2, I've already got vigor,energy ray, call to mind. Is there any powers that i should get? My character is a melee type.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-16, 05:13 PM
Ego whip is excelent, but I am not sure if you can get it at that level. also how are you playing a golem?

Cieyrin
2010-02-16, 05:20 PM
Ego whip is excelent, but I am not sure if you can get it at that level. also how are you playing a golem?

Warforged come to mind...

Optimystik
2010-02-16, 05:23 PM
The Wilder Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19537994/Wilder_Build_Guide_and_Compendium:_Updated_8-25)

And our very own Samb's Expansion to the Wilder Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4368.0)

Read those, come back :smallsmile:

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 05:24 PM
Homebrew we as a group created a version known as 3.Ours where we introduce several races that should belong to a fantasy game which includes centeurs, pixies, lizardmen, Antmen, half giants, plane touch and i personaly backed that the golem be in aswell. All the races above are made like the pathfinder races.
Unlike the warforge the golem is custom made different each time. You start with the material, then the animas, and then design feature there are about 15+ for each "part".
My character is a stone golem, with a pendant in his chest of a dead family and has focusing lens on his hands that increase ray power/spell distance +5feet per charisma mod.

Hallavast
2010-02-16, 05:40 PM
Keen edge

Energy Stun

Grease

Energy Retort

Bioadjustment

Biofeedback

Death Urge

Empathic Feedback

True seeing

Contingency

Oak Body

Moment of Prescience

Reality Revision

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 05:45 PM
Keen edge

Energy Stun

Grease

Energy Retort

Bioadjustment

Biofeedback

Death Urge

Empathic Feedback

True seeing

Contingency

Oak Body

Moment of Prescience

Reality Revision

Grease? i mean i can see where you're going with the others but grease? explain

Hallavast
2010-02-16, 05:47 PM

??

Since when does grease need an explanation?

Optimystik
2010-02-16, 05:49 PM

Its no save, just suck. What's not to love?

I also love greasing orc axes, though they don't.

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 05:53 PM
??

Since when does grease need an explanation?

Well i'm just saying the others help combat or healing, grease can't be pumped with psi points and only works on the ground don't you think there are better powers out there for a wilder?

Hallavast
2010-02-16, 05:56 PM
Well i'm just saying the others help combat or healing, grease can't be pumped with psi points and only works on the ground don't you think there are better powers out there for a wilder?

It's good to have at least SOME control... If you don't like it, try Deja vu. Combine it with death urge for hilarity.

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 06:01 PM
It's good to have at least SOME control... If you don't like it, try Deja vu. Combine it with death urge for hilarity.

yup that is quite funny, you see I realy want a polearm if i am going to take grease which does mean blowing a level/feat though.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-02-16, 06:01 PM
I made a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7016383) concerning this very issue a while ago. Read it if you want my opinions, which I know you do. How could you not? What are you, a Communist? WHO SENT YOU? WHO DO YOU WORK FOR? SO I MADE A MISTAKE! ONE MISTAKE! I-
*tranquilizer dart to the face*

Optimystik
2010-02-16, 06:11 PM

At early levels... no, not really.

You only have light armor proficiency, and not a lot of HP. Grease keeps things away from you, guaranteed. Even if they make their save, they're now at half speed. If not, they're prone, and it's a move action to stand.

You won't have the PP to really blast effectively. Even assuming you're a Synad Wilder (3+2 = 5 PP) with 18 Cha (+2 PP), that's still just 7 PP at first level. But you can take out a cluster of up to four goblins with just 1 PP.

randomhero00
2010-02-16, 06:18 PM

Can be used on armor and weapons as well, not just ground. Also it doesn't really need to be pumped. Although, I'd forgo it if you already have a wizard or other CC.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-16, 06:25 PM

Grease is an awesome spell, and also an awesome power. The psionic evrsion can even be spammed all day at high levels, because you can't augment it.

Even if they save against it, they move at half speed. And if they don't have 5 ranks in Balance, they're also flat-footed. No save. They're just flat-footed.

Do you have a rogue in your party? He will thank you.

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 06:30 PM
Grease is an awesome spell, and also an awesome power. The psionic evrsion can even be spammed all day at high levels, because you can't augment it.

Even if they save against it, they move at half speed. And if they don't have 5 ranks in Balance, they're also flat-footed. No save. They're just flat-footed.

Do you have a rogue in your party? He will thank you.

Yes we have but she is a psi rogue we are playing Dark sun so everyone including even peoples granmas have psi powers of somesort.

Draz74
2010-02-16, 06:32 PM
Grease keeps things away from you, guaranteed. Even if they make their save, they're now at half speed.

In my experience, Grease is no "guarantee." The half speed thing only lasts until they manage to leave its tiny area of effect (10-foot square).

It's still a decent power, but my experience with it doesn't hold up to its awesome reputation. I'd take it for a Psion ... but probably not a Wilder.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-16, 06:33 PM
Yes we have but she is a psi rogue we are playing Dark sun so everyone including even peoples granmas have psi powers of somesort.

Can she sneak attack?

Yes?

Then she will love you for knowing grease. Because I doubt a Psychic Rogue would take it, even if she could.

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 06:38 PM
Can she sneak attack?

Yes?

Then she will love you for knowing grease. Because I doubt a Psychic Rogue would take it, even if she could.

yeah she doesn't for psi powers up to 6th level she gaved up sneak attack. It's like playing a very skillful, utility character but tragic when it comes to combat. Shes like a switzz army knife loads of tools but only a small damage out put.

erikun
2010-02-16, 06:53 PM
Grease is handy, either against an opponent's weapon or against the ground they are standing on. Try greasing the bottom of their boots, or a staircase leading downwards, if your DM will let you. It's not OMG Devastating but it is impressively useful in a large number of situations. I'm not sure if Psionic Grease has been toned down, though.

What kind of Wilder are you running? Wilders can be halfway decent gishes, especially with levels in Slayer, so powers like Vigor and Expansion (through the Expanded Knowledge feat) are handy. If you're going more blaster-style, then the usual Psion blasty powers work well.

axraelshelm
2010-02-16, 07:14 PM
Grease is handy, either against an opponent's weapon or against the ground they are standing on. Try greasing the bottom of their boots, or a staircase leading downwards, if your DM will let you. It's not OMG Devastating but it is impressively useful in a large number of situations. I'm not sure if Psionic Grease has been toned down, though.

What kind of Wilder are you running? Wilders can be halfway decent gishes, especially with levels in Slayer, so powers like Vigor and Expansion (through the Expanded Knowledge feat) are handy. If you're going more blaster-style, then the usual Psion blasty powers work well.

Well the golem comes with the toughness feat, i also have the psionic body feat so expanded knowledge is a must have, my favored class is wilder. At the moment i am 2nd level and have 23 hitpoint 38 when vigored. My golem is a cartographer called Mirrion, a 9000+ year old relic that was found by elvern looters hense the name meaning Fortson in elvish.

Optimystik
2010-02-16, 09:31 PM
In my experience, Grease is no "guarantee." The half speed thing only lasts until they manage to leave its tiny area of effect (10-foot square).

It is a guarantee - it guarantees that they will move 15 feet in the round that they leave the 10 foot square.

And that's when they don't simply fall on their asses.

It's still a decent power, but my experience with it doesn't hold up to its awesome reputation. I'd take it for a Psion ... but probably not a Wilder.

You're treating your Wilder like a Sorcerer here. Don't forget, Wilders have one key advantage that lets them pick powers that are more useful at the start than lategame without worry - namely, Psychic Reformation.