PDA

View Full Version : 6th Level Factotum Help

Your Nemesis
2010-02-16, 05:46 PM
I am building a factotum, as the title suggests. I have the basic build I want (human rogue 1/factotum 5), but what feats and flaws should I take? Most especially, what skills are best? I will be starting with 18 int and we are allowed only 750 gp of magic items.

Boci
2010-02-16, 05:51 PM
Iaijutsu focus + gnome quick razor is a classic. Some DMs will ban it but it really isn't that OP. Autohipnosis is another good choice with the same option.
You will want at least 5 ranks in balance to avoid becoming flat footed when using that skill. Tumble is another important one.
UMD is another very powerful skills.

With 750 I'd by consumables like scrolls and some alchemic items. And a MW weapon.

Any particular reason you've taken 1 level in rogue? I'm guessing its the skill points.

BRC
2010-02-16, 05:53 PM
For feats, Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606)

Draz74
2010-02-16, 05:55 PM
Craven, as long as you're already dipping Rogue.

And -- dare I say it -- Vow of Poverty, if starting equipment is any way to judge how much treasure this DM will give out in general.

For skills, you want one rank in just about everything. The skills that I find get used consistently more than 1/day (and should therefore get more ranks pumped into them) are Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, (if your DM likes traps) Search and Disable Device, (if you actually will get lots of magic items at some point) Use Magic Device. But in general skill selection should be quite dependent on your character concept and your DM's game style.

BRC
2010-02-16, 06:01 PM
Also, don't be afraid to take 1 rank in alot of skills you don't think you will need very much (alot of the knowledge skills), just so you can use cunning insight (I think it's called. The one that gives you your class level as a bonus on a check).

JaronK
2010-02-16, 06:14 PM
For what it's worth, a two level dip in Swordsage (preferably the unarmed variant) would help you a LOT more than a one level dip in Rogue, so long as you waited until your 5th level to start taking it. That would give you Shadow Jaunt and Cloak of Shadows for utility manuevers, as well as Assassin's Stance for sneak attack, and a host of other benefits.

As far as feats, it depends on what you want to do. Font of Inspiration is always a solid choice... you probably want three or so total Fonts in your build eventually, but you don't need them all right away (and frankly you're not going to spend that many inspiration points per encounter until Factotum 8 anyhow). EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor is of course amazing if you want to make use of Iajuitsu Focus (which is basically the Factotum version of Sneak Attack). If you go that route, you may want to change your race to Whispergnome, as they can get the proficiency for free (thanks to the racial weapon swap rules in Complete Warrior), and have a host of other stealth benefits. Darkstalker is a great feat if you want to focus on stealth at all. If you're doing the sneak attack thing anyway, Terrifying Strike and Sickening Strike are both quite handy for the significant save reductions... if so you might consider Master of Poisons to really capitalize on that.

JaronK

CTLC
2010-02-16, 06:23 PM
hiyo, im his DM for this.

Font of inspiration is an obvious must, especially so because this is a one shot. Yeah, its a oneshot. And the money thing is non discussable and non changeable. sorry. Anywho, vow of poverty might be an option, i never thought about it. And the rogue dip is for... you do have 18 int ya know.

Draz74
2010-02-16, 06:39 PM
One shot, huh? Might as well skip Craven, then ... it's ok at Level 6, but its real advantage is how well it scales to higher levels.

Taking a one level dip in something seems very prudent for a one-shot, though; since Factotum 6 is a dead level. :smallyuk:

BRC
2010-02-16, 06:40 PM
Don't be afraid to take 1 rank in alot of skills you don't think you'll need. If you have a rank in them, you can use that Class Feature that adds your factotum level to your skill check.

CTLC
2010-02-16, 06:45 PM
One shot, huh? Might as well skip Craven, then ... it's ok at Level 6, but its real advantage is how well it scales to higher levels.

Taking a one level dip in something seems very prudent for a one-shot, though; since Factotum 6 is a dead level. :smallyuk:

OH nice, i just noticed that level was weak. Is rogue really the best choice though?

Linky #1 (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871722/The_Factotum_Handbook)

Obligatory link #2 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0)

JaronK
2010-02-16, 06:51 PM
If it's a one shot and you're not leveling, then I definitely suggest Factotum 4/Unarmed Swordsage 2. I don't even think Font of Inspiration is that important at this level... Darkstalker, EWP: Quickrazor, and maybe even Item Familiar would be quite nice.

JaronK

Draz74
2010-02-16, 07:03 PM
Factotum 5/Swordsage 1 is an option too, even if it won't give you Assassin's Stance (unless you spend your level 6 feat on Martial Stance). Because Factotum 5 is a pretty good level -- access to a level 2 spell-like ability (I recommend Heroics), and depending on the party composition Opportunistic Piety can be very valuable too.

Of course if you get to level up, Factotum 5/Swordsage 2 would be the best balance of the two classes regardless.