PDA

View Full Version : Umm...not a very threatening army?

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-02-16, 06:56 PM
Before i get to the main topic, i just want to say that i have absolutely ZERO eperience in D and D, and i just read the comic based solely on a literature basis (with whatever neverwinter nights experience i have)

Well, to the point, is this the whole army? Would it not be wise to have a variety of different enemies? Im not one of those nitpickers, i merely am wondering what kind of army only has 1 type of enemy, when in almost every other shot of an army there are zombies, dragons, ETC.

Kish
2010-02-16, 07:01 PM
We haven't seen an army recently. Redcloak is declaring, to the hobgoblins (and apparently a few goblins now) who follow him as their Supreme Leader, that the city is now named Gobbotopia and its Prime Minister is Jirix. Tsukiko's wights aren't invited because they have nothing to do with Redcloak, and Xykon's singular zombie dragon was destroyed by Xykon.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-02-16, 07:02 PM
That is the army occupying azure city, is it not?

ClockShock
2010-02-16, 07:02 PM
These hobgoblins are here to listen to their supreme leader.
Zombies tend not to care about such things.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-02-16, 07:03 PM
wow...im an idiot for not thinking of that.

now i feel like an idiot.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-16, 08:26 PM
Don't feel like an idiot. You didn't think upon specific lines of thought that would bring you to a conclusion. Is that such a bad thing? Of course not. There used to be a thread somewhere for jokes people didn't get. At one point or another, pretty much every joke was in that thing.

Branco
2010-02-16, 09:15 PM
{Scrubbed}

GenPol
2010-02-16, 09:40 PM
{Scrubbed}

Harsh much?

Oh, and don't feel bad OP. :smalltongue:

SaintRidley
2010-02-16, 10:35 PM
They're not really occupying Azure City any more, since there's no Azure City. There is only Gobbotopia.

factotum
2010-02-17, 02:44 AM
An army consisting entirely of 20,000 hobgoblins would still be a bit of a problem for even high level characters in D&D--see O-Chul's speech to Haley in strip #417.

Ancalagon
2010-02-17, 05:21 AM
An army consisting entirely of 20,000 hobgoblins would still be a bit of a problem for even high level characters in D&D--see O-Chul's speech to Haley in strip #417.

... in addition to the rules not being made for "1 vs. 100"... and thus possibly/probably not applying at all.

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-17, 05:47 PM

I dunno, that's debateable.

However, for the 1 type of enemy thing. I'm pretty sure real world armies consist of "One type of enemy." :smalltongue:

It's more their training and such then their species, I'd imagine.

Boci
2010-02-17, 05:52 PM
I dunno, that's debateable.

Horde template?

Gandariel
2010-02-17, 06:00 PM
if we say that both the 10 000 dead hobgoblins and the 10 000 dead azurites were turned to undeads...
20 000 hobgoblins
20 000 zombies
Tsukiko's wights
are not soo bad, y'think?

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-17, 06:01 PM
Horde template?

Touche. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-17, 06:28 PM
Before i get to the main topic, i just want to say that i have absolutely ZERO eperience in D and D, and i just read the comic based solely on a literature basis (with whatever neverwinter nights experience i have)

Well, to the point, is this the whole army? Would it not be wise to have a variety of different enemies? Im not one of those nitpickers, i merely am wondering what kind of army only has 1 type of enemy, when in almost every other shot of an army there are zombies, dragons, ETC.

First I don't see you main point about variety. There are 20,000 soldiers the hobgoblin army. Screw the lack of diverse monsters. I mean in RL there are nothing but humans and if I saw an army of people or anything else coming to attack mjy home land I would need to make a will save to keep my pants clean. There are plenty of soldiers to raid and conquer most medieval nations.

Acero
2010-02-17, 07:39 PM
First I don't see you main point about variety. There are 20,000 soldiers the hobgoblin army. Screw the lack of diverse monsters. I mean in RL there are nothing but humans and if I saw an army of people or anything else coming to attack mjy home land I would need to make a will save to keep my pants clean. There are plenty of soldiers to raid and conquer most medieval nations.

i think what he's trying to say is that they almost all of them are sword-and-board fighters. Armies need to be balanced.
If an modern army of just infantry attacked, i would be scared, but the same tactic can work on all of them. If they came with Hummers and artillery and what not, the army would be much more powerful and efficient

Daefos
2010-02-17, 09:39 PM
i think what he's trying to say is that they almost all of them are sword-and-board fighters. Armies need to be balanced.
If an modern army of just infantry attacked, i would be scared, but the same tactic can work on all of them. If they came with Hummers and artillery and what not, the army would be much more powerful and efficient

How about 20,000 sword and board warriors with Xykon and Redcloak? I'd say an epic level sorcerer and a level 15+ cleric would more than make up for any lack of firepower the hobgoblins possess. Heck, the odds are pretty good that the hobgoblins are just there as distractions.

EDIT: Also, the hobgoblin army is hardly as homogeneous as it's being made out to be. We know that they have archers, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html) seige weaponry, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html) and enough clerics (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0433.html) to make mass-animation of the dead a viable strategy. That's hardly a one-trick pony.

Red XIV
2010-02-17, 09:40 PM
That is the army occupying azure city, is it not?
Haven't you been reading the latest strips? There is no Azure City.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-18, 12:53 AM

It's not just hobgoblin warriors. Red Cloak mentioned clerics. Not to mention Red Cloak someone who can summon titanium elements, cast other high level cleric spells, and is like a master strategic mind. Then there's Xykon: epic lich sorcerer who killed nearly the entire Sapphire Guard with a bouncy ball. There's also the fact that when that battle started there were 30,000 hobgoblins (that's 3 for every human). Plus there didn't need to be scary. They only needed to seize the gate and any decent number of soldiers would be a good enough distraction for Xykon to do this.

frogspawner
2010-02-18, 09:47 AM
However, for the 1 type of enemy thing. I'm pretty sure real world armies consist of "One type of enemy." :smalltongue:

It's more their training and such then their species, I'd imagine.
Yeah, this.

Pike, skirmishers, roman-style legionaries, berserkers and who knows what? They seem to lack cavalry though.

Sahaar
2010-02-18, 04:26 PM
I actually have to say....he brings up a good point.

I mean, aren't Hobbos' CR 1/2? That's really low. That is a REALLY LOW-LEVEL ENCOUNTER

Asta Kask
2010-02-18, 04:30 PM
But most humans will be CR 1/2 too.

Rant:
This is why I prefer GURPS - even if the characters are experienced and mighty heroes, they can still be killed by an Orc who gets in a lucky shot (unless you play an over-the-top game, of course). Nothing like that in D&D.

Forbiddenwar
2010-02-18, 04:31 PM
I actually have to say....he brings up a good point.

I mean, aren't Hobbos' CR 1/2? That's really low. That is a REALLY LOW-LEVEL ENCOUNTER

No. They start are 1/2 CR, untrained, just like humans. Once they learn a thing or two, that goes up. We do know for sure that there were high CR undead and High CR/level Hobbo clerics in the army.

Additionally, what is the CR of an ant? what is the CR of a huge fire Ant swarm?

Shale
2010-02-18, 05:05 PM
Also recall the Azure City general's (O-Chul's?) discussion on how much high AC means against a thousand enemies.

factotum
2010-02-19, 02:28 AM

ONE hobgoblin who doesn't have any class levels is CR 1/2. Now go and work out what the CR for 20,000 hobgoblins would be. Take your time, we'll wait. :smallsmile:

Raging Gene Ray
2010-02-19, 06:48 AM
This is why I prefer GURPS - even if the characters are experienced and mighty heroes, they can still be killed by an Orc who gets in a lucky shot (unless you play an over-the-top game, of course). Nothing like that in D&D.

I had a 9th level bard once that got one-shotted by a CR 1 Gnoll. There's a little empirical evidence for ya. You're still vulnerable to lucky shots in D and D.

Also, if a few hundred CR 1/2 hobgoblin archers all fire arrows at a PC, even a high level one, there would be enough lucky shots (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0059.html) to take them down.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-02-21, 07:16 PM
Still, couldnt they get some higher level monsters? Say, titanium elementals?

SPoD
2010-02-21, 07:21 PM
Every hobgoblin in that army survived the Battle of Azure City. Every single one of them has additional XP, therefore, possibly enough to be 2nd or 3rd level.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-02-21, 07:22 PM
I dont really know why im arguing, i know nothing about d and d.

Kish
2010-02-21, 07:35 PM
Still, couldnt they get some higher level monsters? Say, titanium elementals?
The purpose of the scene is not to show "the army occupying Azure City," it is to give speeches to "the citizens of Gobbotopia."

Could Redcloak summon elementals? Certainly. Why would he? They're not citizens of Gobbotopia.