PDA

View Full Version : Heward’s Handy Haversack in a Possum Pouch

Splendor
2010-02-16, 09:23 PM
Can a Heward’s Handy Haversack fit inside a Possum pouch?

A possum pouch is a small, flat, circular bag about 10-12 inches in diameter and up to 2 inches thick.

A Hewards's Handy Haversack is the size of a backpack and weighs 5lbs.

So a possum pouch is smaller then a UPS priority mail small flat rate box. And I know I can get a backpack inside one of these, I just grabbed a old one off the floor and stuff my school backpack in it with room to spare.

Would you allow someone to do this in your game? If not why?
Could you just make an item that's both a HHHsack and a possum pouch?

Further question: How much would you make a Possum pouch that acts as a HHHSack cost?

Thurbane
2010-02-16, 09:29 PM
Just off the top of my head, I would imagine HHH wouldn't fit inside the pouch, but I can't see any game balance reasons for it to be a problem.

Darrin
2010-02-16, 10:02 PM
Put the Haversack in a Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk p. 71), then put the Glove in the Possum Pouch if need be.

Debihuman
2010-02-17, 10:51 AM
Darring -- that might actually work since it shrinks the item and doesn't put it in an extradimensional space. I guess the only drawback would be if you couldn't hold the haversack in one hand....

Debby

Another_Poet
2010-02-17, 11:03 AM
Short answer #1 - just because something works in real life doesn't mean it works in D&D. D&D is not made for realism. Besides, the real life backpack was probably a school backpack, whereas I imagine a HHH as a huge hikers-style backpack. Your DM may imagine similarly, so don't get offended if the answer is no.

Short answer #2 - It sounds like you have some very specific reason why you want this to work. Your DM may be suspicious of your motives. That said, as a DM I love suspicious motives. I wouldn't rule it out just because you're plotting something, I'd consider allowing it specifically because you're plotting something.

Short answer #3 - You can build any magic item you want using the magic item crafting rules. A Possum Pouch of Holding should have the same cost as a Bag of Holding or a HHH, depending on which one's storage capacities you most closely mimic. If you have the feats and the spellcasting ability most DMs will allow it; denying it is a house rule. As a DM I wouldn't allow you to put something big inside something small without magic (your real world demonstration notwithstanding) so this is probably what I'd require you to do.

Now that I've tried to answer your questions, I'm curious - why do you want to do this? I sense a plan in the works. Please tell!

Splendor
2010-02-18, 08:17 PM
Actually I think I am going to end up creating a magical item that acts like a possum pouch and like a HHHSack.

Possum Pouch: Is a small, flat, circular bag about 10-12 inches in diameter and up to 2 inches thick. When placed against a humanoid’s abdomen and sealed there with a command word, it blends in unobtrusively with the surrounding skin, requiring a successful Search check (DC 30) to detect.

Adding to this a HHHSack's
The large central portion of the pack can contain up to 8 cubic feet or 80 pounds of material.

I figured a HHHSack holds 120lbs so mine only holds 80lbs. 80/120=1/3 2000gp*1/3=1333.33gp

Possum pouch is 1800gp + 75%(1333.33gp)=2800gp for the "sneaky sack"

So my Sneaky Sack blends in with the skin (DC 30 search) and can hold 80lbs, I plan to use it to always make sure I have basic items I need to get out of most situations. Extra weapon, light armor, thieves picks, spell comp pouch, rope, food/water, and a couple scrolls or spell book.

And to hide it from Detect Magic is a simple Nystul's Aura spell on it (making it detect if non magic) with it's nice duration of 1/day per level.

Grommen
2010-02-18, 08:27 PM
Sneaky bugger...

I'm totally stealing that next time I need a pouch.

I honestly don't see a problem with it, other than your DM might not want you to have much hidden items on your person. Also wile it's not noticeable from a distance, someone patting you down would most likely find it. So you might still get your stuff nicked.

Splendor
2010-02-18, 08:30 PM
Possum pouches mold almost perfectly with your skin. Its a DC 30 search check not spot check to find it.

sofawall
2010-02-18, 08:45 PM
denying it is a house rule.

Actually, denying it is a rule explicitly laid out in the magic item creation guidelines.