PDA

View Full Version : mad scientist prestige classes [3.5]

nyarlathotep
2010-02-16, 11:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of any prestige classes for mad scientist type character? Other than fleshwarper of course.

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 11:38 PM
One of the Artificer prcs?

Mongoose87
2010-02-16, 11:40 PM
Wild Mage is definitely mad.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-16, 11:43 PM
I made you! You will obey me!

Djinn_in_Tonic
Use this site's search feature. Find any of the following:

Gadgeteer Genius
Madspark Eccentric
Psychokinetic Wright
Soul Tinker
Sortilegic Craftsman
Combat Artisan
Karsite

7 interesting Artificer classes, each with an interesting spin. See if you like any of those.

Apropos
Icantrix. You've got to be more mental than your DM to believe he'll let you use it.

Dexam
2010-02-16, 11:56 PM
Effigy Master (Complete Arcane).

What mad scientist type doesn't want their own steam-powered clockwork magical construct animals running rampant all over the place? :smallwink:

Dimers
2010-02-17, 12:17 AM
The "Gnome Artificer" PrC from Magic of Faerun can easily be presented as a mad-science thing. You kludge together steampunk contraptions that have spell effects.

Toliudar
2010-02-17, 12:24 AM
Fleshwarper, from Lords of Madness, is great with the mad scientist archetype.

Studoku
2010-02-17, 01:46 AM
Alienist from Complete Arcane (or possibly Complete Mage) isn't exactly a scientist but could be worth a look.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-17, 01:58 AM
Tainted Scholar kinda works, if you allow "wizard" to substitute for "scientist".

KellKheraptis
2010-02-17, 03:47 AM
Icantrix. You've got to be more mental than your DM to believe he'll let you use it.

Most of my "mad scientist" type wizards are incantatrices actually. And in fact, they've only ever been a problem in the game when someone in-game managed to convince him that the destruction of the planet was a good thing (whoops...they should have mentioned extending the contingencies to them too...). Luckily for them, I wasn't just mad, I was also unethical, and had made clones of them behind their back, so the campaign continued with only a minor hitch and a change of scenery (which was ok, since we'd been planehopping for a while anyhow). That particular DM's campaign though is short Krynn :P

Tyndmyr
2010-02-17, 07:44 AM

*shrug* I've been playing a wizard/incantatrix/Iotsv for some time now. Depends on your preferred power level.

I could see one as a mad scientist, but it doesn't strike me as specific to that concept. Any wizard could likely fall into the mad scientist theme, actually.

Melamoto
2010-02-17, 07:46 AM
Can't remember the source, but there's one called the "Renegade Mastermaker" who becomes bit by bit more like a warforged, with a capstone that gives you the Living Construct type.