PDA

View Full Version : An odd gestalt idea - How can I make this work really well? [3.5]

Fortuna
2010-02-17, 12:46 AM
Spontaneous Druidic Avenger//Spontaneous Cloistered Cleric

You cast wholly off Wisdom, you get a decent hit die, your saves are not too good or too shabby. You get access to a whole heap of spells, with useful Druid and Cleric spells and the Knowledge domain to provide a few good utility spells. When things get hairy, you can Rage, Wildshape, or both. Your skills don't suck too badly. All told, a decent combination as far as I can see. There are cheesier, but this looks fun to play. Thoughts?

Pluto
2010-02-18, 03:52 AM
Spontaneous Druidic Avenger//Spontaneous Cloistered Cleric

You cast wholly off Wisdom, you get a decent hit die, your saves are not too good or too shabby. You get access to a whole heap of spells, with useful Druid and Cleric spells and the Knowledge domain to provide a few good utility spells. When things get hairy, you can Rage, Wildshape, or both. Your skills don't suck too badly. All told, a decent combination as far as I can see. There are cheesier, but this looks fun to play. Thoughts?

It builds itself, but the abilities of both classes require in-combat actions to use (casting buffs, hitting things in a rage, etc).

The solutions to this are pretty standard and uninteresting:
---Use DMM (Persist) or to stock up on as many 10min/level+ spells as you can.
---Rely heavily on the party scout/TLN-style obsessive divinations.
---Craft Contingent Spell like mad

But otherwise, you're right -- it's workable and powerful.

One recommendation with Spontaneous variant Clerics: Get as many different domains as you can. Dips into Church Inquisitor, Ordained Champion, Divine Oracle, Contemplative, etc. will greatly improve your spontaneous casting options.