PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Ranged Weapons

sanji77
2010-02-17, 01:16 AM
I was wondering if there is some kind of wrist crossbow, or small throwing knife-type weapon out there for 3.5. Also i dont really wanna have to waste another feat to get another exotic weapon prof. If there arent any such weapons, wats a good, semi-high, damage that would make sense for an assassin character?

Artanis
2010-02-17, 10:24 AM
If you're willing to play a Warforged, there's always embedded components.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-17, 10:30 AM
I was wondering if there is some kind of wrist crossbow, or small throwing knife-type weapon out there for 3.5. Also i dont really wanna have to waste another feat to get another exotic weapon prof. If there arent any such weapons, wats a good, semi-high, damage that would make sense for an assassin character?
Yes, it's called a dagger. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#dagger)

Grumman
2010-02-17, 10:35 AM
How about a Bloodstorm Blade wielding a swordcane? It's a DC 30 search check to identify it as a weapon, up until you draw it and kill everyone.

Or, if you want to be boring, you could get a lute-bow from the same Web Enhancement.

A third option is to take a level of Nomad with the ACF that gives you your own extra-dimensional space.

Spiryt
2010-02-17, 10:39 AM
Sling is obvious choice, two cords with a pouch can be concealed in many ways.

And ammunition is also more compact than bolts or knives.

Steelblood
2010-02-17, 10:52 AM
Ooo sling as an eye patch, never thought of that.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-17, 10:54 AM
Sling is obvious choice, two cords with a pouch can be concealed in many ways.

I must have bad mind ,because you make my bad mind think bad things. Bad.:smalltongue:

Spiryt
2010-02-17, 10:57 AM
I must have bad mind ,because you make my bad mind think bad things. Bad.:smalltongue:

But... :smalleek:

This doesn't even work, there should be two orbs along with cords and pouch in you bad mind... :smalltongue:

IsaacTheHungry
2010-02-17, 11:37 AM
daggers, they have a 10' range (that means you can throw them up to 50' but you get a -2 for each 10' after the first)

As a thrown weapon you get to add your STR bonus to the damage.

You can use the skill sleight of hand to hide them on your body and draw them without provoking an Attack of Opportunity

Ranged thrown weapons qualify for most ranged feats like point blank shoot

Ps. i like to poison my daggers

PPs. and if you must you can use your daggers as a melee weapon

PPPs, you can sneak attack at range up to 30'

Anxe
2010-02-17, 11:39 AM
Hand Crossbow needs a exotic proficiency.

Clubs count as thrown ranged weapons just like daggers. They're harder to conceal, but if you think about it, it is just a wooden stick. Who's gonna notice if some guy has a wooden stick?

Greenish
2010-02-17, 11:40 AM
But... :smalleek:

This doesn't even work, there should be two orbs along with cords and pouch in you bad mind... :smalltongue:So innocent, it's sweet.

[Edit]: Though a double-barreled sling could be a cool weapon.

Teddy
2010-02-17, 11:44 AM

Clubs count as thrown ranged weapons just like daggers. They're harder to conceal, but if you think about it, it is just a wooden stick. Who's gonna notice if some guy has a wooden stick?

"Why, my good sir, are you walking around in the baron's castle with your backpack filled with sticks?"
"Uh, it's firewood..."

Anxe
2010-02-17, 12:11 PM
"Why, my good sir, are you walking around in the baron's castle with your backpack filled with sticks?"
"Uh, it's firewood..."

Replacement canes if he loses his first one?

Another weapon that can be concealed would be shuriken.

Eldariel
2010-02-17, 12:12 PM

Rogues get it by default. Wouldn't really be worth using otherwise.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 12:24 PM
A throwing scarab. Pass it off as an exotic pet.

A&EG has a gauntlet with a wrist mounted bolt launcher built into it. In 3rd party, throwing daggers are the same as normal daggers, but have a 20ft range and -2 to hit if used in melee.

If you're worried about getting into too many different exotic weapons, a level of Master of Masks will make you proficient with all weapons (take the gladiator mask).

Anxe
2010-02-17, 12:24 PM
Rogues get it by default. Wouldn't really be worth using otherwise.

Cool! Well so far we haven't found anything that deals high damage without magicking it into the stratosphere.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-17, 12:33 PM
daggers, they have a 10' range (that means you can throw them up to 50' but you get a -2 for each 10' after the first)
Actually, you get a -2 for each 10' starting with the first -- i.e., the first -2 penalty applies at 10' range. So throwing daggers pretty much always includes penalties: at 5' you get AoOs, and starting at 10' you get range penalties. (The Far Shot feat can help a little bit.)

Harperfan7
2010-02-17, 12:59 PM
Actually, you get a -2 for each 10' starting with the first -- i.e., the first -2 penalty applies at 10' range. So throwing daggers pretty much always includes penalties: at 5' you get AoOs, and starting at 10' you get range penalties. (The Far Shot feat can help a little bit.)

That depends on how you interpret it. You could say that 10ft. is the far line of the second square.

sanji77
2010-02-17, 06:03 PM
Oh wow. i feel dumb now....i did not kno rogues could automatically use hand crossbows. :biggrin: lmao and everyone keeps tellin me to get a lvl in master of masks. where can i find this class?

Kulture
2010-02-17, 06:13 PM
Spring bolt boots.
Exotic, hidden weapons.
Only do D2 damage and require a full round action to fire.

Perfect for poison, even better for an assassin.
Dragon compendium ftw.

Also it has modular weapons as an upgrade for any weapon.

Want a heavy crossbow?
You can sneak one in and snipe with it (but it jams/breaks on a nat 1)

Knaight
2010-02-17, 06:15 PM
So innocent, it's sweet.

[Edit]: Though a double-barreled sling could be a cool weapon.

How would this even work? I can see a two pouched sling, which would be comparable(and really, really ineffective), but slings don't even have barrels. Now, a double barreled sling shot, that you could do.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-17, 07:24 PM
That depends on how you interpret it. You could say that 10ft. is the far line of the second square.
No, you can't interpret it that way; you have to follow the actual D&D rules.
Movement, Position, and Distance

A square on the battle grid is 1 inch across, representing a 5-foot-by-5-foot area.

Measuring Distance

Diagonals

When measuring distance, the first diagonal counts as 1 square, the second counts as 2 squares, the third counts as 1, the fourth as 2, and so on. All distances are in units of 5'. All adjacent squares are 5' distant. All squares beyond those are either 10' or 15' (for diagonals).
Range Increment

Any attack at less than this distance is not penalized for range. However, each full range increment imposes a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll. Any non-adjacent square will have a range penalty for a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10'.

sofawall
2010-02-17, 08:09 PM
All distances are in units of 5'. All adjacent squares are 5' distant. All squares beyond those are either 10' or 15' (for diagonals).

See, what you quoted and what you said are not at all the same thing. I don't see how anyone could even begin to come up with anything remotely resembling what you said from what you quoted.

ericgrau
2010-02-17, 08:13 PM
Yes, it's called a dagger. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#dagger)

This. It's a standard action to draw. If you get quick draw you can reduce that to a move action. Really any small weapon is allowed, though a dagger gives a +2 to sleight of hand checks to conceal it. One could easily argue that a hand crossbow and probably a sling should be allowed.

Beorn080
2010-02-17, 10:38 PM
1. Be a large thrower.
2. Find small rogue capable of epic escape artist checks.
3. .....
4. PROFIT!

ericgrau
2010-02-17, 11:05 PM
Cool! Well so far we haven't found anything that deals high damage without magicking it into the stratosphere.
Sneak attack, of course. You blow your surprise round drawing the weapon, but all you have to do is win initiative and bam, instant sneak attack right out in the open. Your target of course must not suspect any danger before the draw if you want him to be flat-footed.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-17, 11:28 PM
See, what you quoted and what you said are not at all the same thing. I don't see how anyone could even begin to come up with anything remotely resembling what you said from what you quoted.
I'll try to simplify it for you, then.

Distances are in squares.

Each square is 5' or (in alternate diagonals) 10'.

There are no distances other than full squares used for range measurements.

Adjacent squares are all exactly 5' range; further squares are all at least 10' range.

Mike_G
2010-02-17, 11:30 PM
I find the idea of concealing a hand crossbow hard to buy.

The thing projects in like three different planes. It's not flat like a pistol. I don't know where WOTC think Rogues stuff that thing.

A sling, no problem. You can roll it up and hide it up a sleeve or in clothing pretty easily.

sofawall
2010-02-17, 11:41 PM
I'll try to simplify it for you, then.

Distances are in squares.

Each square is 5' or (in alternate diagonals) 10'.

Adjacent squares are all exactly 5' range; further squares are all at least 10' range.

And that is almost entirely different from what you said in your last post.

The diagonal bit is the same, not much else.

Also, rules quote on the bolded part?

Ravens_cry
2010-02-17, 11:51 PM
I find the idea of concealing a hand crossbow hard to buy.

The thing projects in like three different planes. It's not flat like a pistol. I don't know where WOTC think Rogues stuff that thing.

A sling, no problem. You can roll it up and hide it up a sleeve or in clothing pretty easily.
You could put the butt/handle on a hinge so it lines up with the the stock and hang it on the inside of your long coat in an inside pocket.

Optimystik
2010-02-17, 11:58 PM
Be a Warlock or Soulbow and walk around with your hands empty.

Curmudgeon
2010-02-18, 02:28 AM
All distances are in units of 5'. All adjacent squares are 5' distant. All squares beyond those are either 10' or 15' (for diagonals).

And that is almost entirely different from what you said in your last post.

The diagonal bit is the same, not much else.
Looks pretty much identical to me.

Also, rules quote on the bolded part?
I already gave it:

Movement, Position, and Distance

A square on the battle grid is 1 inch across, representing a 5-foot-by-5-foot area.

Measuring Distance

Diagonals

When measuring distance, the first diagonal counts as 1 square, the second counts as 2 squares, the third counts as 1, the fourth as 2, and so on. Distance is measured in grid squares, which are 5' across. The diagonals are measured as either 1 grid square (5') or 2 squares (10'). There are no other distances besides grid square multiples, because the rules specify that Measuring Distance is done in multiples of 5' grid squares.

Got it now?

BigBadBugbear
2010-02-18, 03:54 AM
Spring loaded Guantlet from sword and fist...