PDA

View Full Version : Need a cool sword for my cleric

faceroll
2010-02-17, 02:45 AM
I am playing in a monstrous adventuring party, and I recently lost my character to a cave troll. I'm going to reroll "minotaur" (half minotaur goliath), and have ridiculous stats.

The mini I am using is this totally bitchin' huge sized minotaur with a greatsword, unpainted, cast in metal. The DM tells me I have to use a sword, cause that's what the mini has

It's a fifth level cloistered cleric of Vecna, with a splash of Church Inquisitor. I swapped out Inquisition for Knowledge Devotion, and the two domains I am starting with are Time & Undeath. This minotaur lives in a decaying tower in the Underdark, studying tomes, wearing spectacles, and smoking big cigars in his bathrobe. In general, he is a total baller.

I have 10,000 gp to spend. I am thinking 1k mithral chain shirt, 8k nightsticks (duuuuuh), and 1k on a sweet exotic sword. The likelyhood of me a) finding a magimart and b) finding any 'ole item there are about as likely as you being killed by a meteor while a clown dances at your private birthday party.

So what I start with has got to be good. I am thinking a Jovar (4d6 18-20x2 planar handbook). It would be sweet if it was a kaori jovar, but that will be a hard sell to the DM.

Any ideas?

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 02:49 AM
Two ideas. Either a Jovar out of Planar Handbook, Or a Glassteel Mecurial Greatsword. Get the blade of the second sword etched to have a thermometers numbers along the blade.

faceroll
2010-02-17, 02:51 AM
Where, and what, is the Mercurial Glassteel Greatsword? I'm guessing glassteel increases crit range and mercurial increases damage dice?

Occasional Sage
2010-02-17, 02:55 AM
Just pick the weapon you want, and mod the mini after. It's not tough, and makes for a cooler look anyway.

faceroll
2010-02-17, 03:01 AM
Just pick the weapon you want, and mod the mini after. It's not tough, and makes for a cooler look anyway.

Perhaps you missed this part:
"The DM tells me I have to use a sword"

Doompuppy
2010-02-17, 03:05 AM

No no... the GM said "The DM tells me I have to use a sword, cause that's what the mini has". So if nothing else you can double check with him/her if converting the mini would change that because you think another weapon would suit your character better? Though obviously I wasn't there, it sounded more like the DM wanted the mini and character to match, rather than it actually being a sword being particularly important.

Occasional Sage
2010-02-17, 03:08 AM

Right, but the rest of that declaration, as you quoted it, is

The DM tells me I have to use a sword, cause that's what the mini has. That sounds to me like he just wants the look of the mini to match the character. So, if there's something you want other than a sword, just change the mini.

EDIT: Or, yeah, just what NinjapuppyDoompuppy said.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 03:08 AM
Glassteel: Check PGtF, Magic of Faerun, and the FRCG.

A mercurial greatsword is a great sword with a liquid mercury core. does extra damage I think. Look in A&EG for it.

Also Sage-- It may not be his mini to change.

Are 3rd party books allowed? a Wallblade can be fun.

faceroll
2010-02-17, 03:16 AM
Glassteel: Check PGtF, Magic of Faerun, and the FRCG.

I checked it out, it doesn't seem to do anything cool.

A mercurial greatsword is a great sword with a liquid mercury core. does extra damage I think. Look in A&EG for it.

It uses 3.0 weapon rules, though, which makes it suck more than a 3.5 greatsword. The good version (non-errata) is in sword & fist.

Correct. I do not have a choice in this matter.

Are 3rd party books allowed? a Wallblade can be fun.

Only Player's Guide to Kalamor is allowed, as far as 3rd party goes.

Occasional Sage
2010-02-17, 03:29 AM
Correct. I do not have a choice in this matter.

Ahhh, and there's what I was missing. Thanks!

SpikeFightwicky
2010-02-17, 08:00 AM
b) finding any 'ole item there are about as likely as you being killed by a meteor while a clown dances at your private birthday party.

Hapened to me 6 times last month....

It uses 3.0 weapon rules, though, which makes it suck more than a 3.5 greatsword. The good version (non-errata) is in sword & fist.

Isn't Sword & Fist 3.0 as well?

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 08:02 AM
Hapened to me 6 times last month....

Isn't Sword & Fist 3.0 as well?

yep it is

moar loetterz!

SpikeFightwicky
2010-02-17, 08:11 AM
yep it is

moar loetterz!

Then doesn't RAW default to the most recent version of the weapon (A&E Guide) anyways?

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 08:24 AM
Then doesn't RAW default to the most recent version of the weapon (A&E Guide) anyways?

yep.

And again. more letters!

SpikeFightwicky
2010-02-17, 08:46 AM
yep.

And again. more letters!

Note to self, stop posting questions.... Sounded kind of like the S&F version was acceptible (though it was 3.0).

Either way, that Jovar sounds very good. Is the 4d6 damage for a 'large' version, or regular sized one?

Kaiyanwang
2010-02-17, 09:46 AM
Note to self, stop posting questions.... Sounded kind of like the S&F version was acceptible (though it was 3.0).

Either way, that Jovar sounds very good. Is the 4d6 damage for a 'large' version, or regular sized one?

Regular. Medium Size Jovar is 2d6, slashing, 18-20 /x2. Planar Handbook.

On that route, d10, Piercing or Slashing, 18-20/x2, finessable, Elven Courtblade.

(3d8 of the same size of the Jovar above).

the humanity
2010-02-17, 11:53 AM
Angelwing Razor is as cool as it gets.

+5 vorpal, ignores DR and hardness.:smallcool:

but seriously, just get a large bonus on a sword you like the sound of, sometimes, the best damage you can do is actual damage.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-02-17, 12:40 PM
I second the sword from Planar Hb. Personally, I'd use a Large (Ty Powerful Build :P) or larger (AFB, so can't remember if Half-Minotaur increases Size), then basically bullrush and shock trooper the foe to death. I also like the Angelwing Razor idea, though my DM'd throw the book @ you for so much as SUGGESTING a vorpal weapon (though we DID obtain a Vorpal Butter Knife, which brought 5 1st level characters to 18th level)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-17, 12:44 PM

but seriously, just get a large bonus on a sword you like the sound of, sometimes, the best damage you can do is actual damage.

That's an artifact IIRC.

Evard
2010-02-17, 12:52 PM
You could always look in the Tome of Battle book of nine swords at a few of their swords, i'm pretty sure you don't have to be a ToB class to wield them or unlock their abilities :D

faceroll
2010-02-17, 01:33 PM
I second the sword from Planar Hb. Personally, I'd use a Large (Ty Powerful Build :P) or larger (AFB, so can't remember if Half-Minotaur increases Size), then basically bullrush and shock trooper the foe to death. I also like the Angelwing Razor idea, though my DM'd throw the book @ you for so much as SUGGESTING a vorpal weapon (though we DID obtain a Vorpal Butter Knife, which brought 5 1st level characters to 18th level)

Goliath = powerful build, minotaur = large size, add them together for a huge weapon.

I'm going to be using Knockdown- every time I do more than 10 damage, I get a trip attempt.

You could always look in the Tome of Battle book of nine swords at a few of their swords, i'm pretty sure you don't have to be a ToB class to wield them or unlock their abilities :D

I can't afford those. I'm pretty much stuck with a mundane sword, since I blew all my cash on night sticks.

deuxhero
2010-02-17, 01:50 PM
If you can get the DM to allow strongarm bracers to stack with powerful build, use a huge bastard sword (Bastard sword, being one handed as an exotic weapon, can be used with strong arm bracers) as a martial 2 hander.

edit:oh right, half minataur is large size, so whatever comes after huge.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-17, 01:57 PM
I can't afford those. I'm pretty much stuck with a mundane sword, since I blew all my cash on night sticks.

Ask your DM if he can allow some of these. I could use the help. (http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1747301/weapons-pdf-february-12-2010-7-40-pm-538k)

Kaiyanwang
2010-02-18, 11:36 AM
That's an artifact IIRC.

Correct. Vile Darkness.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-18, 11:44 AM

Somehow I doubt most DMs give out Artifacts to Clerics who want a sword. :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2010-02-18, 12:38 PM
Nice swords are expensive. At low levels a masterwork sword and spending money on other things is just fine. You will did get a lot for what a +2 equivalent sword would cost you.

faceroll
2010-02-19, 02:29 PM
I'm going to attempt to fast talk him into letting me use a heavy mercurial greatsword (S&F version) sized for a huge creature. 8d6 damage with a x4 crit. And once I get access to Divine Power, it will go up to 12d6. It's like shooting things with a fireball!

Cieyrin
2010-02-19, 03:29 PM
As cool swords go of the Exotic variety, I'd go for either a Fullblade [A&EG) or a Great Falchion [SS], as a huge Fullblade would be 4d8 19-20/x2 and the Great Falchion...I suppose would be the same as a Jovar at huge size, considering 2d6 and 1d12 advance the same way, so never mind, I guess. I just think Great Falchions are cooler than Jovars. >_>;;