PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a spiked chain class (3.5)

DonDuckie
2010-02-17, 05:08 AM
I have a memory of a prestige class(it may have been from some 3.0 material) that allows you two give up the spiked chain's reach to use it as a double weapon.

Does anybody know of such a class, and where to find it?

thanks.

olentu
2010-02-17, 05:16 AM
I have a memory of a prestige class(it may have been from some 3.0 material) that allows you two give up the spiked chain's reach to use it as a double weapon.

Does anybody know of such a class, and where to find it?

thanks.

Master of chains from sword and fist.

Math_Mage
2010-02-17, 05:48 AM
What would be the benefit of doing such a thing? IIRC, the thing that makes a spiked chain so powerful is its reach.

Melamoto
2010-02-17, 05:56 AM
On top of that, Master of Chains is quite possibly one of the worst made PrCs I have ever seen.

BigBadBugbear
2010-02-17, 06:02 AM
Why, it was great fluff....

DonDuckie
2010-02-17, 06:31 AM
I didn't want it for power, I liked the idea of having many options from specializing with one weapon.

I just have a half-ogre tempest(complete adventurer) focused on trip and disarm instead of killing. And the chain is a versatile weapon, but I think I'll go with dire flail or maybe whips.

thanks for the replies.

Thurbane
2010-02-17, 06:37 AM
There's one in Drow of the Underdark...Cavestalker. Lets you use a spiked chain as a one-handed weapon.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-17, 07:32 AM
Wouldn't a Kusari-Gama be more effective at such a role? It has less reach, granted, but it can already be counted as a double weapon IIRC, without the need to take a PrC.

DonDuckie
2010-02-17, 07:49 AM
The kusari gama is pretty cool. But I'm leaning towards the reach and the flavor of the whip.

I was looking for the class because of a faint memory of it being cool.

also - newbie question: what is IIRC, I've seen a few times, but haven't been able to figure it out.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-17, 07:50 AM
If I Remember Correctly= IIRC

Also, whip builds can be a lot of fun.

Kaiyanwang
2010-02-17, 08:02 AM
Use weapon groups from SRD and use Kusari Gama, Spiked Chain, Whip, Whip-Dagger, Scorpion Whip, Dragonchain, Chain Lash, Scourge, Flail, Dire Flail, Three-sections-staff.. all together.

Moreover, this is the OAdv version of Kusari-gama (look for the book for damage):

Originally psted by Oriental Adventures

Kusari-gama: A kusari-gama is a length of chain with a
kama at one end. It can be used either as a double weapon or as
a reach weapon. {omissis}
You can choose
which end of the kusari-gama to use. {omissis} If you are
tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the kusarigama
to avoid being tripped.
{omissis}
You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity
modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with
a kusari-gama.

Chain Lash from Savage Species is the same, but both ends bludgeoning. I use the never updated version of kusari gama, because, as far as I know, works like the Chain Lash that has never been updated.

Enjoy.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-17, 08:14 AM
Wouldn't a Kusari-Gama be more effective at such a role? It has less reach, granted, but it can already be counted as a double weapon IIRC, without the need to take a PrC.

Less reach? DMG Kusari-Game is a one handed Spiked Chain (same reach). Just use 2.