PDA

View Full Version : Caster Leader?

Soonerdj
2010-02-17, 08:00 AM
So I'm trying to build a Sorcerer that will be able to lead a an underground organization. At the moment it seems the best way to accomplish this is a Prc. Full or close to full spell casting progression is preferred.

Is there any class that advances this? I know Leadership is an easy way to get followers but it doesn't really let you be the charismatic, leader of a gang anymore than say, managing the workers at a fast food joint. Also any options that are other than sorc casting are cool too.

Thanks

Zom B
2010-02-17, 08:05 AM
I see no reason why they can't do it without a PrC. What does it take to lead a large number of people? Mostly, Diplomacy checks en masse to make sure that your followers are Helpful. If they're already wanting into the organization, they're starting as Friendly, so that's DC 20 to make them Helpful and DC 1 to keep them there. Helpful people "will take risks to help you" including, but not limited to, "Protect, back up, heal, [and] aid."

The only difficulty is that Diplomacy is not normally on your skill list. There's probably a way to add it, but even at cross class at level 10 you could have 5 ranks and, I assume, at least a +5 modifier to your Charisma score. So take 10 and you succeed.

If this is an NPC, just say it's their natural charisma and leadership qualities. If this is your PC, work with the DM.

EDIT: Some possible candidates I am seeing that might help in addition to Skill Focus (Diplomacy) and Negotiator:

Inside Connections (Races of Destiny):
Choose a specific organization of which you have knowledge and with which you are on neutral or better terms. You gain a +4 circumstance bonus to Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sense Motive checks made in conjunction with that organization.
Noble Born (Dragon 333):
Diplomacy and Knowledge (nobility & royalty) are always class skills for you.
If you take the feat Leadership, receive +2 bonus on your Leadership score.
Crowd Tactics (Races of Destiny) has this use:
Master of the Mob – +4 bonus to Diplomacy checks to direct a crowd.
Vow of Peace has this (but depending on what you want to do with the mob, probably not what you need):
+4 Exalted bonus on Diplomacy checks.

EDIT AGAIN: Or if you can get a cleric and an exemplar to help you out there's always nanobot shenanigans (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870890/Updated_Nanobots_Conquer_D38;D_(AC,_Attack,_and_Sk ill_Records)). +200 to Diplomacy would allow you to make the whole crowd Fanatic without even rolling.

Optimystik
2010-02-17, 08:18 AM
Bard/Sublime Chord gets Sorcerer casting and plenty of Diplomacy.

The White Knight
2010-02-17, 08:23 AM
If Sorceror isn't set in stone, the Beguiler from the PHB2 has this concept written all over it.

Optimystik
2010-02-17, 08:26 AM
If Sorceror isn't set in stone, the Beguiler from the PHB2 has this concept written all over it.

I disagree - Beguilers are more the lone wolf, cat burglar archetype. If a Beguiler is leading an organization, he's more than likely fooling them all into thinking he's something else.

A Dread Necromancer is a great leader, but the followers tend not to be too big on conversation.

Dimers
2010-02-17, 10:45 AM
So I'm trying to build a Sorcerer that will be able to lead a an underground organization. At the moment it seems the best way to accomplish this is a Prc. Full or close to full spell casting progression is preferred.

Kinda depends on what you mean by "lead" ... will the character plan strategy, be the master of an inner circle directing everyone else, act as liaison to other groups, be at the front of any actual battles, be an icon representing an ideal, gather new followers for the cause ... ?

The first things that came to my mind were Mindbender (arcane, half casting) and Thrallherd (psionic, 8/10 casting). An underground org will usually rely on social and people-influencing abilities, since they're not generally large enough to survive physical conflict. Those two PrCs are excellent in the arena of influencing people.

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 07:30 PM
To get Diplomacy on your skill list, take Draconic Heritage (Amethyst, Crystal, Pan Lung,Prismatic or T’ien lung).

Deth Muncher
2010-02-17, 07:48 PM
Also, absurd amounts of Cha abuse - not only does it help your spells (to make the peoples fall down), but also helps Diplomacy/other social skills. Also, Leadership, not for the cohort but for the followers.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-17, 08:32 PM
I disagree - Beguilers are more the lone wolf, cat burglar archetype. If a Beguiler is leading an organization, he's more than likely fooling them all into thinking he's something else.

A Dread Necromancer is a great leader, but the followers tend not to be too big on conversation.

That's what they invented Awaken Dead for.

Mike_G
2010-02-17, 09:18 PM

I disagree here.

The Beguiler is perfect for this. Bluff, Diplomacy and Sense Motive as class skills, loads of points, plus all the right buffs, like Glibness, plus the usual Charm, Dominate, etc, make them great at getting others to do their dirty work. Plus, he can use his illusions to change his appearance and spy on his own minions to squash any mutiny in its infancy.

An evil Beguiler with people to manipulate is your worst nightmare.

Bard also works well, and straight Sorcerer does have Cha synergy, but would be better off to make Diplomacy a class skill.

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 09:20 PM
Bard also works well, and straight Sorcerer does have Cha synergy, but would be better off to make Diplomacy a class skill.

As I said earlier, Draconic Heritage can get you diplomacy if you pick certain dragons.

Acero
2010-02-17, 09:20 PM
Charm/Dominate person.

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-17, 10:23 PM
Is there any class that advances this? I know Leadership is an easy way to get followers but it doesn't really let you be the charismatic, leader of a gang anymore than say, managing the workers at a fast food joint.
So, what sort of mechanical abilities help you to be the charismatic leader of a gang, in particular? Are you looking for group buffing, like the Bard and Marshal get? You could just go with buff spells for that, but they don't function off of being charismatic except in that Charisma powers your spellcasting; a Wizard could do the same thing.

Frosty
2010-02-18, 02:11 AM
Can't you just spend a feat on Martial Study, get a Devoted Spirit maneuver, and at the same time get Diplomacy as a class skill?