PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Weakest official deity?

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-17, 08:29 AM
I was thinking about making short one-shot adventure where adventurers defeat a deity. I was thinking about Planescape, so this deity could be from almost any campaign setting. I was also thinking about having an evil party, so this deity could be of any alignment.

So if you had to face a deity, which one would be easiest to defeat?

hamishspence
2010-02-17, 08:32 AM
Imhotep in Deities & Demigods may be a contender- 20 levels of expert, and might not have Outsider Hit Dice as well- its been a while since I've looked, but as I recall, recently ascended mortals don't get extra outsider hit dice.

That, and he's a demigod, of pretty low rank.

Optimystik
2010-02-17, 08:34 AM
Depending on your definition of "deity" something with a divine rank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm) of 0 or 1 may qualify.

Imhotep in Deities & Demigods may be a contender- 20 levels of expert, and might not have Outsider Hit Dice as well- its been a while since I've looked, but as I recall, recently ascended mortals don't get extra outsider hit dice.

That, and he's a demigod, of pretty low rank.

*checks*

Yeah, he's Rank 1, 20 levels of Expert. Ha!

magic9mushroom
2010-02-17, 08:38 AM
Use the adaptation for one of the demon lords or archdevils that they get a divine rank or two. That'd be the weakest without bringing in other pantheons.

EDIT: There's actually a deity weaker than Imhotep in the web enhancement. Erbin (the Demigod stats). Rogue 1/Fighter 1 with 1 divine rank.

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-17, 08:39 AM
Quasi-deities would be fine. Anything with some deitynesh would be ok.
And Imhotep is surely a contender here! What a lousy class and levels...

magic9mushroom
2010-02-17, 08:42 AM
Quasi-deities would be fine. Anything with some deitynesh would be ok.
And Imhotep is surely a contender here! What a lousy class and levels...

Quasi-deity? Use the quasi-deity stats for Erbin. He's a Rogue 1 with a 0 divine rank. A pushover, really.

Jon_Dahl
2010-02-17, 08:47 AM
Quasi-deity? Use the quasi-deity stats for Erbin. He's a Rogue 1 with a 0 divine rank. A pushover, really.

Thanks, but I don't think that "you confirmed a critical and won a God in round 1" is going to make a good adventure.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-17, 08:50 AM
Thanks, but I don't think that "you confirmed a critical and won a God in round 1" is going to make a good adventure.

Then use his demigod stats (Rogue 1/Fighter 1, Divine Rank 1) or his lesser deity stats (Rogue 5/Fighter 5, Divine Rank 6). Erbin's got stats for various power levels; he's designed to be a god you can kill without being epic or using stupendous amounts of cheese. He's in the web enhancement for DaD.

hamishspence
2010-02-17, 08:51 AM
If Dragon Ascendant counts as a sort of quasi-deity (the fluff for the PRC does state that it is supposed to represent a dragon becoming a quasi deity)

then Tchazzar The Conqueror in Dragons of Faerun may qualify as one of the most powerful official quasi-deities- he's a Great Red Wyrm, with 10 levels in the PRC, and the fiendish template.

People who take a feat, can be granted spells by him, and choose from his domains- he's on the borderline between quasi-deity and true deity.

Come to think of it- I wonder if the Call of Cthulhu D20 deities would count? Unlike the ones in Deities & Demigods, or Faiths & Pantheons, they actually have challenge ratings- might need a little work to convert them from 3.0 to 3.5 though.

Zeta Kai
2010-02-17, 09:16 AM
Then use his demigod stats (Rogue 1/Fighter 1, Divine Rank 1) or his lesser deity stats (Rogue 5/Fighter 5, Divine Rank 6). Erbin's got stats for various power levels; he's designed to be a god you can kill without being epic or using stupendous amounts of cheese. He's in the web enhancement for DaD.

What is he the god of, anyway? Suck?

hamishspence
2010-02-17, 09:17 AM
Beggars, I think- haven't seen it in a while.

Optimystik
2010-02-17, 09:20 AM

Beggars, and vengeance. Some of the sample intros have him angry at the PCs for refusing him a coin, some have him as angry at the gods and somehow acquiring a divine spark to use against them.

Not the most inspired creation of WotC I'd say.

Cyclocone
2010-02-17, 09:25 AM

No, that's Zuoken.

Optimystik
2010-02-17, 09:43 AM
No, that's Zuoken.

:smallfrown:

Person_Man
2010-02-17, 09:46 AM
As an aside, when I was 15ish we played an AD&D 2nd ed game during the "Time of Troubles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Troubles_%28Forgotten_Realms%29)" in the Forgotten Realms, when almost all of the gods were demoted to avatar status. I was playing a Cleric, which in that edition was a weak class. To make matters more fun, I didn't have any spells for 90% of the campaign (since my god had been cast down). And yet our party still managed to kill the avatar of Bane somehow (I think we lured him into some sort of elaborate trap/ambush). Good times.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-17, 09:53 AM
:smallfrown:

Well, he is a monk. :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2010-02-17, 09:56 AM

Elder Evils does have a mad monk 20 trying to destroy reality.:smallbiggrin:

T.G. Oskar
2010-02-17, 09:56 AM
No, that's Zuoken.

Hunh? I thought Zuoken liked psionics...

Heck, he might have been the one that brought Tashalatora to the other worlds. Since, you know...Tashalatora being Eberron-specific...

So it would be really Monk 20/Psionic Class 20, and perhaps having Tashalatora (but he calls it something else, most likely based on the deity that ascended him)

But yeah...Erbin. I saw him, and the first thing I realized was "why would a god of beggars be Neutral Evil...?" The fact that he's meant to be the poster child for ascended deities doesn't help a lot...

I'd say I'd beg to differ in the case of Demon Princes and Archdevils. They have their own ways of being powerful, specifically Orcus (and his wand) and Asmodeus (with his Ruby Rod). Adding Divine Ranks makes them a tad more competitive than they already are, and they wouldn't be specifically pushovers.

Then again...I can't say the same about the Celestial Hebdomad, the Companions or the Court of Stars had they have Divine Ranks (although I'd presume Hebdomad Prime Zaphkiel would have suspiciously higher amounts of Divine Ranks)

Optimystik
2010-02-17, 10:10 AM

Yes, but a psionic one. i.e. The good kind :smallwink:

Sadly, he is not statted in either XPH or DaD.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-17, 10:22 AM
Yes, but a psionic one. i.e. The good kind :smallwink:

Sadly, he is not statted in either XPH or DaD.
Which makes him all the more badass.
Like Good Cat.

chiasaur11
2010-02-17, 11:18 AM
Beggars, and vengeance. Some of the sample intros have him angry at the PCs for refusing him a coin, some have him as angry at the gods and somehow acquiring a divine spark to use against them.

Not the most inspired creation of WotC I'd say.

Ah, the classic set up writ small. PCs, by petty jerkitude, managed to irritate everyone up to the relevant god, then kill the god.

Really, though, that guy sounds like Fire God could kick his arse.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-17, 11:21 AM
But yeah...Erbin. I saw him, and the first thing I realized was "why would a god of beggars be Neutral Evil...?" The fact that he's meant to be the poster child for ascended deities doesn't help a lot...

It's not all that hard to be a beggar and Evil. But yes, he is kind of a ****.

I'd say I'd beg to differ in the case of Demon Princes and Archdevils. They have their own ways of being powerful, specifically Orcus (and his wand) and Asmodeus (with his Ruby Rod). Adding Divine Ranks makes them a tad more competitive than they already are, and they wouldn't be specifically pushovers.

I never said they would be pushovers, just weaker than the true deities. Which I don't think you'd dispute, given that all of the latter in the D&D pantheon have Alter Reality?

bosssmiley
2010-02-17, 12:26 PM
I was thinking about making short one-shot adventure where adventurers defeat a deity. I was thinking about Planescape, so this deity could be from almost any campaign setting. I was also thinking about having an evil party, so this deity could be of any alignment.

So if you had to face a deity, which one would be easiest to defeat?

Just as a point of reference: Planescape doesn't work that way.

There's a vignette in the Planescape book about "that legendary guy who got one over on the gods" (note: this is just 'got one over on', not fought). He's the guy with the hunted expression, who jumps at every shadow and never sleeps in the same place twice.

The powers in the Planescape setting are that far above and beyond the power attainable by PCs that they are effectively immune to direct action. They're like the zaibatsu of a cyberpunk setting: you can gradually cripple their operations over the long term, but in a direct fight there's only going to be one winner (clue: not you). Planescape is a universe where authority equals asskicking (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AuthorityEqualsAsskicking) in spades.

This "No, you can't" position was really just an extension of the inherent godly "I win" package of powers and immunities (the prototype of DvR 0) awarded to all gods in 1E Deities and Demigods book. Played by a DM who knew the rules non-divine PCs never really stood a chance against gods.

All that aside, if you're still set on stabbing a god in the face for great justice, then you're probably best off going for some obscure godling. Either a half-forgotten nonhuman deity like Laogzed, or a petty god of the hearth, or fruit, or something. If DvR 0 counts, then you can just stab an Einheriar or Norse giant. :smallwink:

@v: Demogorgon. Tentacles and staring.

Greenish
2010-02-17, 12:35 PM
They have their own ways of being powerful, specifically Orcus (and his wand) and Asmodeus (with his Ruby Rod).*shudders*

Gotta get my mind out of the gutter. :smallfrown:

Nai_Calus
2010-02-17, 01:36 PM
I like how the suggested escapes from a life of being occasionally humiliated by a pissant demigod include the party becoming gods themselves. This is both overkill and an amusing level of 'Oh yeah? Well take this!'

*shudders*

Gotta get my mind out of the gutter. :smallfrown:

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/5e_044RubyRod.jpg

arguskos
2010-02-17, 02:33 PM
I seriously wish Fire God was updated for 3.5, since he'd be the most sad god ever. I mean, the poor dude LOOKED sweet, but was pretty terrible.

More helpful, I'm throwing my vote at Lagozed or Ihmotep, someone nobody cares about.

Altima
2010-02-17, 06:52 PM
Easiest might be one of the pre-Epic FRCS deities, since they play by the rules (non-epic rules, that is) more or less than others.

There's always the Astral Plane as well, as I believe the weakest official deity is a dead one.

Or, since it's Planescape, pick a fight with one of the hypothetically god-like creatures living inside the Spire. And by creatures, I mean something weak. Like a bacteria.

Chrono22
2010-02-17, 06:56 PM
Here's an idea: the party has received a mysterious message from the future - a mission from their future selves to destroy a god before he manages to ascend. But for some reason, this "god" is just a weak kobold...

I actually ran this adventure. It was kind of fun, and we did manage to succeed.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-17, 07:27 PM
This "No, you can't" position was really just an extension of the inherent godly "I win" package of powers and immunities (the prototype of DvR 0) awarded to all gods in 1E Deities and Demigods book. Played by a DM who knew the rules non-divine PCs never really stood a chance against gods.

...didn't Lolth only have 80 hit points back then?

Sereg
2010-02-17, 11:30 PM
...didn't Lolth only have 80 hit points back then?

66 filler text