PDA

View Full Version : A Few Words for the Playground!

criticalstriker
2010-02-17, 08:08 PM
Heya GiTP, been a while since I've posted anything and recently started a game where my character is a wizard who exclusively uses power word spells and decided to make some new ones for him. Here are what I've come up with so far.

Power Word Smile
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 0
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature with 100 or less hp.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: Yes

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to make a big, toothy grin (or equivalent gesture, depending on the species). The severity depends on the target's current hit point total. Any creature that currently has 101 or more hit points is unaffected by power word smile.

10 or less hp: The biggest grin the creature can manage.
11 or more hp: A normal smile.
26 or more hp: A grin.
51-100 hp: A small grin.

Power Word Frown

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to scowl with fury (or make an equivalent gesture, depending on the species). The severity depends on the target's current hit point total. Any creature that currently has 101 or more hit points is unaffected by power word frown.

10 or less hp: An absolute scowl that makes small children cry.
11 or more hp: A very noticeable amount of irritation,
26 or more hp: A normal frown.
51-100 hp: A small frown.

Power Word Ignite
Level: Sorc/Wiz 1
Saving Throw: No; see text

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to spontaneously ignite. These flames deal 1d4 damage the first round, and the target must make a DC 15 Reflex save to put the fire out each round after the first. If the target fails, they take another 1d4 points of damage.

I fully intend to add more as I think of them and as my character levels up. Any input is more than appreciated!

DracoDei
2010-02-17, 08:32 PM
Larger smiles and/or frowns might interfere with bite attacks (try it... maybe maybe not, my experiments indicates the frown is harder to open the mouth while maintaining, the smile, only slightly harder.), and almost certain would give a (small) spell-failure chance for anything with verbal components (larger for a frown)... thus, it might not be a level 0, or might require exceptions to keep the fluff believable.

The Tygre
2010-02-17, 08:51 PM
All right, if no one else is going to say it;

"Let's put a smile on that face!"

JoshuaZ
2010-02-17, 09:17 PM
All right, if no one else is going to say it;

"Let's put a smile on that face!"

I was thinking "Why so serious?"

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-18, 05:29 AM
I think the first two might be needing my designation [Silly].

"Why do you need such a thing, Mulletman?" I hear you ask, nay demand. I rather liked the idea of having Spell Focus [Silly] more than anything else. Plus if you use the Funky/Square alignment axis, you can apply modifiers based on funkitude...

Ashtagon
2010-02-18, 05:47 AM
We need a symbol of happiness spell now :smallsmile:

imp_fireball
2010-02-18, 06:36 AM
Larger smiles and/or frowns might interfere with bite attacks (try it... maybe maybe not, my experiments indicates the frown is harder to open the mouth while maintaining, the smile, only slightly harder.), and almost certain would give a (small) spell-failure chance for anything with verbal components (larger for a frown)... thus, it might not be a level 0, or might require exceptions to keep the fluff believable.

Frowning and opening my mouth and speaking isn't hard for me...

Anyway.

Here's another one:

Power Word Pick Your Nose (And Eat It)
Target: One living creature with 8 or less HD

Affected creature feels immediately obligated to pick their nose and then consume the solidified mucus therein. Doing so imposes a -2 penalty on the next move or standard action since both actions are assumed to be performed simultaneously (ie. picking a lock and picking a nose).

If picking their nose causes it to bleed, they will then feel that it is of absolute necessity to snort very loudly and grit their teeth like an ogre (complete with grunting) until the bleeding discontinues.

Also imposes a -2 to charisma versus any individual of the opposite sex that witnessed the act for 1d4 minutes (after which, reconciliation is assumed to have been made, unless communication ceases before then).

If creature has no nose or anatomy that resembles nasal cavities of any kind, then they will prod at their face in a very awkward and disturbing manner, recreating the same effect.

Debihuman
2010-02-18, 10:13 AM

Anyway.

Here's another one:

Power Word Pick Your Nose (And Eat It)

Shouldn't it be ONE word. That looks to be three (six).

Debby

Sereg
2010-02-18, 10:53 AM

Debby

In English. It's one word in the language of magic.

Otherwise they look fun, if unlikely to be used in most games.

Debihuman
2010-02-18, 05:13 PM
Bah. Power Word spells should only be one word long. Anything longer violates the premise of the power word spells. Should be Power Word Emunction.

Debby

Nero24200
2010-02-18, 05:57 PM
Power Word Boogie
Duration: 1 Round/Level

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to dance. The targets base land speed is reduced by half for the spells duration.

Power Word Shpadoinkle?
Level: Sorc/Wiz 4
Target: One living creature with 50 or less hp.
Duration: 1 Round/Level

You utter a single word of power that doesn't make any sense. The physical form of the target responds in an erratic manner as the laws of magic struggle to comply. The target is confused for the round's duration.

Kumori
2010-02-18, 06:10 PM
Power Word Fall

You utter a single word of power that causes a single target to collapse to the ground. The target temporarily loses control of whatever body part is holding it off the ground, causing it to fall prone. If the creature was flying, it takes falling damage as normal when it hits the ground.

DracoDei
2010-02-18, 06:14 PM
If you have to maintain the most intense frown you can?

As for speaking, at the least, it probably changes your tone, and since lack of tonal control is almost certainly why being deafened causes a spell-failure chance, that seems a reasonable concern to me.

If picking their nose causes it to bleed, they will then feel that it is of absolute necessity to snort very loudly and grit their teeth like an ogre (complete with grunting) until the bleeding discontinues.

Is this enough to keep you from doing the verbal components to cast a healing spell on yourself?

imp_fireball
2010-02-18, 07:27 PM

Debby

In the mystical dark language of magic it is only one word.

If you have to maintain the most intense frown you can?

Still easy. Even when frowning so hard I can't see.

The rules don't cover every exact circumstance for a reason. Thing are assumed for example, like in combat a character isn't just standing in one space swinging away - it's assumed that they might be bobbing and weaving, and then moving back to their position (to stay in the space they occupy), or cooking a meal and consuming rations.

Is this enough to keep you from doing the verbal components to cast a healing spell on yourself?

Nah (you can speak between grunts or speak in an ogre voice 'graaah magic missile!'). Besides you don't need a healing spell to get rid of a nose bleed. It doesn't do any damage.

Also, I always figured that the tone shift that occurs when deaf is very significant. And when deafened recently, I don't think it causes a tone shift - for people that have been deaf for a very long time, their tone shifts because they aren't used to hearing what they sound like (not because they can't immediately hear themselves at the time) - they've naturally adapted to deafness.

I also figure that magic depends a lot on enunciation rather than tone - different species have different tone modulations and struggle to maintain the tones of other species. Compare orcs (croaky, deep and harsh) to humans ('musical' in comparison) - ogres are drastically different too - D&D ogres have very deep voices (gears of war boomer deep; at least that's how I imagine it), while the fat horned ogres of warcraft have these warped low voices (typically given to stupid ogres), but sometimes harsh (typically given to the cunning ogre).

Also humans have different tones of voice among themselves, so magic wouldn't really depend on tone - I don't think. Of course, a human can easily learn to mimic the tone of another human, but I think tone is more the bard's thing. And even if you have say, orcish bards, they can learn to cast the same identical spell in their own way (with orcish sing song).

waterpenguin43
2010-02-18, 09:34 PM
Power Word Rant
Level: Sorc/Wiz 3
Duration: 1 Round per Caster Level

With one single word, you can force another to start ranting about a collection of annoying topics that appear in their head. They gain a +2 bonus on will saves, being distracted by their annoyance, but the elaborate hand gestures impose a -6 penalty on any touch, ranged, or melee attack and make it utterly impossible to cast any spell with a verbal component or perform any verbal actions other than the rant for the duration of the spell.