PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) (Creatures) Really Tenacious [ToB] (Lazy) [PEACH]

DracoDei
2010-02-17, 08:50 PM
I don't feel like creating two stat-blocks for such minor changes, so I am just going to describe this. This is actually based on an idea I had many years ago for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Take a badger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/badger.htm), wolverine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolverine.htm), or a Dire badger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBadger.htm).
Give Great Fortitude as a bonus feat (if they don't already have it).
Give them the Immortal Fortitude stance from the Devoted Defender discipline in Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, active even while asleep etc (but still exited as specifically provided under that stance).
Re-fluff the descriptions to give the PCs some kind of fair warning that these aren't standard creatures.
Increase CRs a bit (maybe double for the badger?). Badger should be at least CR 2, just because dealing 21+ points of damage for a 95% probable kill is going to stay hard for a few levels. Maybe CR 3 or 4 for the Wolverine since it has 28 hitpoints and a +7(+9 with Great Fortitude) fortitude save? EDIT: Oddly enough the Dire Badger is nearly identical to the Wolverine, with the exception of that it lacks a climb speed, and has 2 more points of dexterity. This is close enough that the CR is probably the same for each.
Change type to Magical Beast, just because it feels like a vaguely magical ability sort of thing.
You now have three new creatures that, especially in numbers, will have the players scratching their heads about their highly variable durability.
???
Profit.

Debihuman
2010-02-18, 10:42 AM
Where can I find a description of "Stance of Immortal Fortitude"?

Debby

Edge
2010-02-18, 10:53 AM
Tome of Battle. It's an 8th level stance from the Devoted Spirit discipline. Keeps you from dying from hp damage up to three times if you keep making saves, at which point it ends. Of course, you can just enter the stance again on your next turn as a swift action.

Zeta Kai
2010-02-18, 11:43 AM
You now have two new creatures that, especially in numbers, will have the players scratching their heads about their highly variable durability.

You, good sir, are a sick man. I'm throwing some of these at my players ASAP. :smallamused:

DracoDei
2010-02-18, 02:07 PM
Debihuman: Clarified the location (as well as the name since I found out that "Stance of" part isn't part of the name, which is important for alphabetizing purposes when looking it up).

You, good sir, are a sick man. I'm throwing some of these at my players ASAP. :smallamused:
I would greatly appreciate a report on how it went.

DracoDei
2010-02-18, 04:03 PM
Should these have a type change to Magical Beast, rather than staying animals?

Would these be good to add to the Summon Monster lists (Tenacious Celestial Badger on SM III maybe??) to help keep the lower level stuff relevant at higher character levels (especially for the 1d4+1 option)?

I am currently thinking the badger might be around CR 2 (rather than 1 as my previous note would indicate), simply because of how much damage it can absorb (24 points of damage for a 95% chance of kill AFTER you remove its normal 6/8 hitpoints). Edited some notes on this subject into the original post.