PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

Thant
2010-02-17, 08:57 PM
Hi all, I hope some of you guys could help me out wit some of my dilemmas :smallsmile: , so:

1. Can someone tell me how good actually is the core class Marshall from miniatures handbook? Lately I find myself more and more drawn to the role of the support characters and I wanted to give this class a try. So I need some overall insight about it and some good criticism.

2. My friends and I like to use some parts of the material presented in the Unearthead Arcana cause they make the game so much more fun to play :smallsmile:

So I have this idea that I would like to present to our current GM that goes along the lines with this kind of rules:

I always thought that it is kinda retarded that character profession (class) is the criteria when determining how strong ("vital") PCs are. So I was thinking how good would it be to ignore all class HDs and substitute them for racial HDs that players would use as long as their character are alive and kicking no matter the occupation. What do you think about this? I think it would make races a bit more special after the first few levels, and it sounds kinda fun.

tnx

KurtKatze
2010-02-17, 09:08 PM
For Question 2:

'I think that would be a bit limiting as far as the race choice goes. I assume you leave the attribute modifiers etc. the same and add the HD to races.

Something like:

Half-Orc: d12 (AND +2 CON)
Dwarf: d10 ( AND +2 CON)
Gnome: d8 (+2 CON)
Human/ Half-Elf: d6
Elf: d4 (AND -2 CON)
Halfling; d3/d4 ?

No, i don't like it. I mean if you made your choice to play a wizard you have to stick with one of its major drawbacks: d4 HD. Now you just go for dwarf wizard, have a permanent d10 hd and probably 18 CO makes a wizard with 14 HP at 1st level...

Plus you would limit any melee-build to a race with at least the d8 hit die. The HD combined with profession at least respects the need of a certain class to have more hitpoints than another class which can rely on other things (stealth/magic).

Soranar
2010-02-17, 09:15 PM
Marshals are pretty good, depending on your party. If you only play with spellcasters it won't shine though. Works best when combined with at least another fighter type (although summons and animal companions work too).

Granting move actions is a life saver. And you're not a terrible fighter with Full BAB, heavy armor and shield. You also don't require any feats and charging works well with over the top.

The point of class levels is to actually level that class. If you don't want to do that play in a gestalt game.

Xenogears
2010-02-17, 09:37 PM
Marshals are pretty good, depending on your party. If you only play with spellcasters it won't shine though. Works best when combined with at least another fighter type (although summons and animal companions work too).

Granting move actions is a life saver. And you're not a terrible fighter with Full BAB, heavy armor and shield. You also don't require any feats and charging works well with over the top.

The point of class levels is to actually level that class. If you don't want to do that play in a gestalt game.

IIRC marshals have 3/4 BAB not full. I could be wrong though. Also if you pick the right aura even Casters will enjoy your +cha to their initiative checks.