PDA

View Full Version : Wreck Ashore [IC]

Robek
2010-02-17, 11:56 PM
The town of Seawell is a small but prosperous trading town in a good location on the coast, on a small island surrounded by coral reefs. Seawell has few threats, the most major being the occasional Thri-kreen raiding parties, which are quickly handled by the towns well kept militia.

You are staying in Seawell for the night at the local inn, waiting for the payment from your last adventure. It is however, barely sunset, which should allow you plenty of time to talk to the inn's patrons, especially about the rumor that three of the ships that were supposed to arrive last night never came.

The inn is a lot like the town of Seawell in that it is small, dirty and full of foreign merchants. The inn is the only place of interest within the town, not counting the constantly busy harbor. Few people actually live in Seawell apart from a community of fishermen and ex-merchants. Not a soul lives outside the city walls, due to the danger from the Thri-kreen raiders and the occasional rampaging dinosaur.

The inn itself is small, with only three tables. Six people are sitting drinking by the bar, while another four are sitting at a table in the corner playing cards. One man is sitting on the floor, surrounded by mugs and smelling of booze. There appears to be only one person working here, an elderly man, with quite a beer belly, serving drinks from behind the bar.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 12:05 AM
A man of average height sits at the bar, sipping a cold ale as he waits for his last adventure's payment. He wears a simple outdoors outfit of wool and leather, and a backpack lays at the bottom of the stool. The man lets out a sigh. "Another day of waiting in this one-horse town..."

He turns to a fellow patron sitting at the bar, and asks him "What have you heard of the delayed ships?"

Robek
2010-02-18, 12:24 AM
"Dunno," he says "probably has something to do with the lighthouse being out. Maybe they crashed, ain't none of my business."

"Yeah," one man elaborates "I hear the whole family was killed by angry ghosts. Or maybe it was the Thri-kreen."

"Or they could just be on vacation." adds another.

"Now why would they be on vacation? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!" retorts the second, as an argument erupts between the two."

Blaine and AngelOmnipotent
You see the man sitting on the floor shaking his head and mouthing "Not true, not true."

nolispe
2010-02-18, 12:28 AM
Zanis
A cloaked figure enters. It pulls up a chair next to Brom, and speaks.
If time passes, it just gives us time to think. Do not worry, scout. Now, i have a question for you. Why is that man sitting on the floor, when there are many chairs available? Is it some form of religous devotion?
-----
character thoughts

Help him to his room.
Why? does he have infomation we can use?
Just do it.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-18, 12:29 AM
Eechik, being a smarter-than-average Kobold, is sitting quietly by the fire humming one of his favourite tunes while giving Tom-Tom his meal; he was lucky enough to be let into the inn himself, let alone allowed to bring a dog in with him. Maybe luck was shining on him today, and that this town might be one to hear his word.

He is however listening closely to Brom's questioning and the eager replies from the patrons around him. Eechik had learned beforehand that letting the big people do the talking for him was usually the best approach. Not many took kindly to a Kobold tugging on their sleeve and asking for directions.

The man on the floor catches his eye but Eechik waits to approach for a moment just in case.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 12:32 AM
Brom turns to his companion, the modron. "Hmm... Less religious devotion, more the drunkenness. See the mugs? Those contain an intoxicating beverage."

nolispe
2010-02-18, 12:33 AM
Zanis rises, and walks to Eechik
I will help him to his room. would you like to come?
He raises his voice, and speaks to Brom.
But why would he wish to drink it? Has someone told him that it is intoxicating? More importantly, why does the government of this town allow him to drink it?

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-18, 12:38 AM
Smiling as only a Kobold can, Eechik replies honestly in the broken common he managed to learn since leaving the brood.

"Eechik doesn't really know. Don't think he's happy though, he's been mumbling all the time Eechik has been in front of the fire, yipp yipp! Maybe you should ask him yourself? Not many people like Eechik asking too many questions because a Kobold isn't easy to talk to when it comes to feeling sad." His innocence is almost too good to be true as he continues to smile.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 12:39 AM
Brom faces forward again, and begins to sip his ale. "Eh, it has it's upsides."

nolispe
2010-02-18, 12:42 AM
Zanis walks over to the man.
Come on now. come with me, and lets get you cleaned up.
Diplomacy roll (if nessasary): 18 (taking ten)

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-18, 12:43 AM
Eechik will walk over to the drunken man and attempt to figure out how drunk he really is, or whether there is something else (perhaps mentally) at work aswell.

Heal Check: [roll0]

nolispe
2010-02-18, 12:43 AM
Zanis looks over to Brom. But it impairs your mental acuity! How can you bear to exist in a perpetual state of fuzz?

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 12:53 AM
Letting out a slight laugh, Brom finishes off his drink. With a burp, he says "It's not half as bad as you think. Loosen up." He wipes the froth from his upper lip with his sleeve. "And it's not perpetual. It goes away the next day. Mostly."

Robek
2010-02-18, 12:53 AM
"Now why... why would I live in an inn? harr, harr... "inn" an "inn"... I don't live in an inn hehehe you silly, umm... huh... silly... person, thas' the word." says the man, who is clearly heavily inebriated. "But like I was telling your friend over thar... wanna know a secret?" He comes up very close to Eechik, putting his hands on your shoulders and putting his mouth against your ears. "I saw pirates, floatin' over the water by the... lighthouse... but don't let them know I told you..." he says, before passing out on the floor.

nolispe
2010-02-18, 12:58 AM
(presuming Zanis heard)
zanis motions to Brom, and wispers to Eechik: come on. Lets go. I, for one, would prefer we got this sorted out now, as opposed to when Brom is in this state.
He walks out the door.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 01:02 AM
Reaching into his belt pouch, Brom tosses a copper coin onto the counter for the ale. He follows his companions through the door.

AngelOmnipotent
"Eechik never knew why big people do silly things like that. Then again Eechik would probably want to aswell if Eechik saw pirates too." He calls Tom-Tom over from the fire and to follow as he looks down at the unconscious man. "Maybe the silly man would like to go to bed now. He seems very tired."

Waiting until out of ear-shot and watching the barman dragging the man back to his room, Eechik will address the others quietly. "Pirates by the lighthouse he said. Eechik think there might be trouble."

Robek
The town is quite, except for a few gate guards chatting. The only people out and about in the town are a few militia men and a few sailors loading boxes onto a small ship. The only light comes from the moon and a fire on the beach in the distance. You can see candle lights flickering out in a few of the houses.

nolispe
2010-02-18, 01:10 AM
Outside the tavern: It is dark, and we are unlikely to encounter anyone. Or, perhaps we should wait to about three AM... On the other hand, we can always turn back once we get there. What do you think?

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 01:15 AM
"It would be unwise to travel to the lighthouse in the dark, especially with the recent Thri-Kreen attacks. We should at least wait until morning."

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-18, 01:16 AM
"Hmmm." Eechik pauses for a little while and weighs up the pro's and con's of the situation. "It is getting cold and dark out here in a place Eechik doesn't know. Inside there is food, sleep and people to ask for where to go. Eechik, for one, is sleepy. If the big people want to look for pirates at night then the big people can tell Eechik what they find in the morning! Now, if you will excuse..."

He takes a small bow and goes to take Tom-Tom for a walk around town. He will spend at least an hour doing so and get the dog to see if it can pick up the scent/tracks of any non-villager presence within or directly around the town.

Tracking roll: [roll0]

nolispe
2010-02-18, 02:01 AM
You understand this area far better than me. I shall follow your suggested course of action.
Zanis goes inside, and spends the night in meditation.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-18, 02:36 AM
Brom returns to the inn, and heads to bed, attempting to sleep off the multiple strong ales he's had that night.

Ernir
2010-02-18, 05:10 AM
"This is what we came 'ere for? Strangers who can't 'old their drinks?" Oi, we'll see about it in the mornin'."

Robek
2010-02-18, 06:45 PM
AngelOmnipotent
Tom-tom finds no out of the ordinary smells or tracks.

The night itself is uneventful, and you wake up in your room on the second level of the inn to the sounds of a heated game of Three-Dragon Ante happening downstairs.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-19, 12:02 AM
Brom awakes with a groan, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. After he gets fully dressed and grabs his equipment, he heads downstairs to wash the grogginess away with a nice cold ale. The scout removes a copper coin from his pouch and hands it to the bartender. "Gimme something cheap..."

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-19, 08:14 AM
Eechik is wide awake and walking Tom-Tom again at the crack of dawn and comes back into the inn to see Brom ordering another drink.

"Eechik think that maybe you shouldn't be doing that so early? Don't want to end up like the silly man from last night." He clambers up a stool to sit on and peers over the top of the bar.

"Scuse me mister," he asks the barkeep, "do you know how to get to the lighthouse?"

Robek
2010-02-19, 07:55 PM
"Well if that ain't the cutest thing I ever did see." replies the bartender. "A talking kobold... and all this time I thought you were that man's dog." He says, motioning towards Brom. "I'm afraid I don't know how to get to that there lighthouse, I haven't been outside the city gates in many years."

"Oh, wait!" he exclaims "My son's in town for the week, and he'd surely know the way. I think he's meeting up with some of his old friends... I think he said he was meeting them at the gate."

Ernir
2010-02-19, 07:56 PM
"Eechik think that maybe you shouldn't be doing that so early? Don't want to end up like the silly man from last night."

"Too arly fer a drink? Yer mad."

"Gimme a pint, good sir."

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-19, 08:01 PM
Brom slides his still-full mug to the dwarf at the bar, before standing up and speaking to his comrades. "Well, I guess we should go find this guy." He turns to the bartender. "What's his name, again?"

Robek
2010-02-19, 09:20 PM
"His names Novar, and he'll be the one covered in dirt." he says with a chuckle.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-20, 07:25 AM
Eechik had been called many things in his time, but he'd never been called another man's dog. As odd as it sounded to him, he didn't really feel offended. However he did look at himself, at Tom-Tom, then back at himself several times but couldn't really see the similarity.

"Maybe Eechik can talk for you a little more later! Got much to say to as many people that will listen, yipp yipp."

He turns to Brom and nods. "Shall we go then?"

Ernir
2010-02-20, 11:28 AM
"Off we go indeed."

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 01:48 PM
Brom addresses his small, reptilian ally. "Yeah, let's find him." After chugging the ale he had tried to give to the dwarf, the scout begins to stride out the door. "Follow me."

Robek
2010-02-20, 03:08 PM
The town is busy today, but not as busy as it would be after breakfast. The town square is nearly empty, with only a few children playing, but near the docks there are dozens of people moving boxes and getting their ships ready. By the gate a wagon is being loaded with boxes, and a large group of guards are talking.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 03:10 PM
Brom walks across the square, leading his fellows toward the gate. He steps quickly over to the guards, looking at each one before asking, "Which one of you is Novar?"

Robek
2010-02-20, 08:28 PM
"That'd be me." says the man in the corner. He looks like a classic explorer, his clothes are covered in dirt and mud and sticking out of his backpack you can see several maps and a compass. "How can I help you?"

nolispe
2010-02-20, 09:22 PM
Zanis
"we need directions to the lighthouse. You will show us the way. Do you have any objections?

Robek
2010-02-20, 09:54 PM
"Well, what would be in it for me... how much can ya' offer?" he says, in deep thought.

nolispe
2010-02-20, 10:01 PM
Zanis
(diplomacy check) - [roll0]
"what would you prefer? I can manufacture scrolls of power, or armour if you would prefer. Of course, we have gold...

Robek
2010-02-20, 10:07 PM
"Bah, what use would I have for armor or spells. I'm no soldier. Although gold... now you're talking my language. 10 silver a day, no less." he replies.

nolispe
2010-02-20, 10:10 PM
Zanis
*looks around to the rest of the party*
I think that sounds acceptable?, don't you?

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-20, 10:18 PM
Brom lets out a small cough. "Fine with me."

Ernir
2010-02-21, 08:36 AM
"10 silver a day, no less." he replies.

"10 silvar? Per DAY? Agh, I remem'er a time when highway robbery din' happen until ya was OUT a' town."

"Fine, 10 silvar for each day of the journey it is. To be delivered upon arrival. 'Tis not like ya will be spending it on the way anyway."

Robek
2010-02-21, 05:31 PM
"So then," Novar says, "when do you wish to head out?"

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-21, 05:33 PM
"As soon as possible, I should think." Brom says. "I want my gold..."

Robek
2010-02-21, 05:39 PM
"Very well. Give me a few minutes to find the right map and chart the path and we can be off." he says, while rummaging through his backpack. "I think it should only take three or four days and I believe there are several caves and oases along the way that will be perfect for stopping to rest.

nolispe
2010-02-21, 09:51 PM
Zanis
"Well then. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, i suppose."

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-22, 07:39 AM
Bringing up the rear you see a rather odd-looking sight as Eechik appears riding Tom-Tom. Oddly enough the dog seems to be wearing as much armour as the Kobold does, not to mention it being a matching pair.

"Sorry Eechik is late," he says, somewhat out of breath, "it take longer than it seems to get Tom-Tom into his armour. He not like it too much, yipp yipp."

He looks at Novar somewhat warily and with narrow eyes having caught the last part of the conversation. "May Eechik please look at map when you find it?"

Robek
2010-02-22, 06:29 PM
"Yeah sure." Novar says, after laughing a bit at the armored pair. "Yep, here it is, just let me draw the path we'll take. We'll follow the beach, but not right on it, the Thri-kreen like to fish." he says with a smile.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/foucek/map-1.jpg
And here's my map. Don't laugh... :smalltongue: The palm tree puddle is an oasis, the house is the town, the semi circle is a cave, the black line things are a barrier reef, the red lines are the path you'll be taking and the lighthouse is a lighthouse. :smallbiggrin:

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-22, 08:11 PM
The scout takes a look at the map, before declaring, "Alright then, let's get moving."

Ernir
2010-02-22, 09:01 PM
The dwarf, fully confident in his navigational capabilities, doesn't look at the map before setting off.

nolispe
2010-02-22, 10:28 PM
Zanis
Well then. Let us leave this place.

-----
Character thoughts
Is that right?
It shall be fine, young one. Where is this lighthouse?
*mental image of map*
Well then.
do we know any legends about the lighthouse? (OOC: GM, please use whichever of these is appropriate)(history check)[roll0](arcana check)[roll1](religion check)[roll2]

Robek
2010-02-22, 10:48 PM
@nolispe
It was built 45 years ago to help merchant ships find their way safely to the town of Seawell. It has been run by the same family, who also live in the lighthouse, since it's creation. It is very well built, and has survived several very strong storms.

"Very well then," Novar says with a nod "let us be off."

You depart the town and follow the coast for miles. Nothing of interest happens until you reach the oasis that Novar had drawn on the map. It is nearly dark, but in the distance you can see three Thri-kreen carrying odd-looking spears standing by the pool of water. They see you as well, and ready their weapons.

Roll initiative please.

{table=head]Character|Initiative|Turn
Zanis|21|X
Brom|20|
Eechik|12|
Thri-kreens|<12;>8|
Barrelchest|8|[/table]

nolispe
2010-02-22, 11:11 PM
Zanis
[roll0]
OOC: how much time do we have before they reach us?

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-22, 11:26 PM
Brom reaches for the longbow attached to his quiver when he spots the Thri-Kreen. "Enemies ahead!"

[roll0]

Robek
2010-02-23, 12:03 AM
OOC: how much time do we have before they reach us?

They seem to be about a hundred feet away, with nothing between you and them.

Ernir
2010-02-23, 06:37 AM
"That's an ugly piece of bug." :smallmad:

[roll0]

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-24, 07:32 AM
Eechik readies his spears, having never seen such creatures as these before. He tries to hide the fact that he's a little nervous, but it wasn't exactly the first battle he'd ever been in.

"Never seen those things before. Three-queen or s-s-something did you s-s-say?" He questions with a little hesitation and waits until he knows they're going to fight before dismounting Tom-Tom.

Initiative: [roll0]

Also, what is the terrain like around here? Any higher ground at all, or cover off to the sides?

Robek
2010-02-24, 03:18 PM
The area around you is all flat desert, with only an oasis within eye-line about a hundred feet away.

I'm horrible at describing areas. :smallsigh: Zanis' turn.

nolispe
2010-02-25, 12:24 AM
"Brom! provide covering fire! Eechik! Take my flank! Barrelchest, the other side! If i go down, take over!
Zanis casts "shield of faith" on himself and waits for the Thri-keen.

Ernir
2010-02-25, 01:52 PM
Barrelchest takes out his net, and readies to throw it at the bug-man when he comes within 10' range.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-25, 08:30 PM
Brom spreads out, away from his allies. He nocks an arrow to his bowstring and, after aiming for just a moment, lets it fly at the nearest Thri-Kreen. He shouts to his allies, "Let them come to us!"

[roll=Damage]1d8+1d6
+1d6 is from Skirmish class feature.

Robek
2010-02-26, 03:52 PM
Blaine's arrow flies right past one of the Thri-kreen, nearly hitting it.

Eechik's turn.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-27, 01:41 PM
Eechik will dismount Tom-Tom and settle behind Zanis ready to stab anyone who comes in front, telling Tom-Tom to circle around and attack the Thri-Keen from behind when they're in melee range.

Edit: Held action for both until they're in range

Robek
2010-02-28, 01:07 AM
Two of the thri-kreen advance 40 feet towards you and throw their spears, one at Brom and the other at Zanis. The other thri-kreen begins to flee along the coast. The spear against Brom misses by a mile and lands far off in the sand. The other hits Zanis, but is reflected off of his Shield of Faith.

@ Brom
[roll0][roll1]

@Zanis
[roll2][roll3]

nolispe
2010-02-28, 03:03 AM
We can't just wait here! Charge!
Zanis Charges one of the thri-keen.
[spoiler][roll0]
[roll]1d8[roll]

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-28, 12:31 PM
"Idiot..." Brom mumbles under his breath. He then continues to skirt around the edge of the battle, before drawing another arrow and firing it from his bow at the nearest Thri-kreen.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Robek
2010-02-28, 06:24 PM
Zanis attempts to charge at one of the thri-kreen, but the thri-kreen dodges it easily.

Brom's arrow strikes true, hitting the thri-kreen in his heart and killing him instantly.

{table=head]Character|Initiative|Turn
Zanis|21|X
Brom|20|
Eechik|12|
Thri-kreen|<12;>8|
Barrelchest|8|[/table]

So Zanis, Barrelchest, Eechik, Puppy are in melee with the survivng thri-kreen while Brom is sixty feet behind them.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-01, 07:11 AM
Eechik stabs the Thri-keen as soon as it is thrown off balance with the attack on Zanis, ordering Tom-Tom to finish it off.

Yay for Kobold rolls.
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Tom-Tom:
[roll2] (Inc. flanking bonus)
Damage: [roll3]

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-01, 07:13 AM
Forgot you can't edit in rolls.

Confirming crit: [roll0]
Extra Crit Damage: [roll1]
Also minimum damage is always 1 even though it might roll a 0. How pitiful :smallredface:

Ernir
2010-03-01, 07:03 PM
"'rmph."

He switches on the Power aura! +1 to damage for everyone.
If there's a 'Kreen within 20', he'll throw his net at it. Ranged touch attack: [roll0]

Otherwise, it's a charge at whichever of them is closest. Attack: [roll1], Damage [roll2]

Robek
2010-03-02, 08:58 PM
Eechik's attack clearly hurts the thri-kreen greatly, but not enough to stop it from trying to stab at Zanis with it's spear, but once again it bounces off his shield of faith.

[roll0][roll1]

The thri-kreen easily dodges Barrelchest's attempted charge.

nolispe
2010-03-02, 11:44 PM
given that talking is a free action:
Surrender! If you keep fighting, you die. drop your weapon, and we let you live.
I am unsure if this is an intimidate or a diplomacy check. i will roll both, take whichever was correct.
[roll0] - diplomacy
[roll1] - intimidate

If the thing does not surrender, I attack.
[roll2] and damage- [roll3]

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-03, 08:35 AM
Eechik will get Tom-Tom to growl with an aid-another to the Intimidate check if relevant, but if it's Diplomacy needed then Eechik will say something.

"Eechik is stronger than any Kobold you will meet, you would be smart to listen to him."

[roll0] (straight roll in either case, just needs to be over 10 :smalltongue: )

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-03, 09:36 PM
Brom makes continues to move around the battlefield, attempting to find an open target among the yet-to-surrender Thri-Kreen. "I don't think they're going to back down." He stops when he spots one, and fires an arrow straight towards it.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Skirmish: [roll2]

Robek
2010-03-07, 12:16 AM
Zanis' attempt to intimidate the thri-kreen are of no use, and it was about to strike him when Brom's arrow flew right into it's head, killing it.

"Well... that was quite the battle. Sorry I couldn't help, I was... erm... stuck in a sand dune... yes, that's right." Novar says as he walks from his hiding space behind a small hill. "We might as well camp here for the night, it's where I had planned anyway." He sets down some logs he had in his backpack and says "It gets mighty cold in the desert, better wrap yourselves tight." He starts the logs on fire before setting up his tent.

nolispe
2010-03-07, 12:59 AM
"Thank you, Scout. Perhaps you are not as mentally disturbed as I previously thought.

Character thoughts
Idiot. That will have been offensive. You were not supposed to mention that you thought him disturbed.
Yes... People are touchy about that sort of thing. What's his name, by the way?
Sorry, then. No, I have no idea what the name is. Anyone?
Brom. Really, am I the only one that listens around here? He must have told us a dozen times.
Yes, Miarithas. You are the only one that listens. No one else cares. It is Boring.
What are we going to do about the guide? He seems reasonably useless. Perhaps we should leave him here, or... relieve him of some of that fee we are supposed to be paying him.
Ah... Leave him alone. It could be worse. At the very least, he might provide some bait. When we get back to town, on the other hand...

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-07, 01:32 AM
The scout ignores Zanis, aiding Novar with the fire. After he has finished, he tells the group, ""There're five of us. If we have a ten-hour night, we can take turns with a two-hour watch and still get eight hours of sleep."

nolispe
2010-03-07, 01:51 AM
I don't sleep. An eight hour night.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-07, 01:58 AM
Brom gives the creature a strange look, before sitting in front of the campfire.

Ernir
2010-03-07, 08:08 AM
I don't sleep. An eight hour night.

"More fer me, then. Wake me up when ya need me."

He starts snoring almost before he finishes the sentence.