PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon Changling Cleric? 3.5 build

Rosalinath
2010-02-18, 12:25 AM
I am in need of a character for a friend of mine who needs a character to replace her dead one in a Eberron campaign. Her last character was a Gnome spellthief and was the parties scout and skill monkey. She requested that she play as a shapechanger that uses magic and stealth.

My idea is to make a changling cleric with the chameleon template. Does anyone have a comment about this idea? Any advice on making a sneaky cleric? I have about a week before the sheet needs to be done and I'll be meeting up with my friend in 5 days so..

Pluto
2010-02-18, 03:03 AM
She requested that she play as a shapechanger that uses magic and stealth.
Obvious alternative suggestions include Beguiler for sneaky mind tricks, Swordsage for supernatural melee sneakery and Unseen Seer for fistfuls of sneak attack dice and near-full arcane casting.

My idea is to make a changling cleric with the chameleon template. Does anyone have a comment about this idea? Any advice on making a sneaky cleric? I have about a week before the sheet needs to be done and I'll be meeting up with my friend in 5 days so..
[I'm not familiar with the Chameleon template, so I don't want to say anything about it particularly.]

The Able Learner feat is probably a must. Technically it's Human- or Doppelganger-only, but Changling should work too. This lets a cleric invest in cross-class skills without burning through skill ranks too quickly.

It would be hard to go wrong with the Trickery Domain and either Spell (SpC) or Magic (the item access is delicious). Any domain that gets illusions is good too (and there are plenty). The Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) domain is fitting mechanically, but might have fluff issues.

You might want to multiclass into Rogue, mostly for the skill points, but also because sneak attack is usually fitting for this sort of character. Shadowbane Stalker from Complete Adventurer isn't a bad way to boost casting, skills and SA, if you're interested. It's not bad, even if you eat the lost caster levels.

Dragon Magazine published a feat that stacks Rogue and Cleric levels for Sneak Attack and undead turning. That could be useful here. (Sacred Outlaw, I believe. It's on Crystalkeep.com.)

Frosty
2010-02-18, 03:08 AM
She could be a Changeling Factotum who multiclasses into Chameleon later on.

Rosalinath
2010-02-18, 09:47 AM
I'm liking the idea of the shadowbane stalker :D is there any variants for the cleric that would benifit a rogue? I was looking at cloistered cleric but I want to know all of my options before starting to make this character.

The Chameleon Template can be found on Crystalkeep, and is essentially turning you into a creature that can climb on wall, have a 10' reach tongue attack for touch spells, and a huge bonus to sneak and hide. there character's 'natural' form would basically be a sticky, scaly version of the average changling

As for domains how does Trickery and Fate sound?