PDA

View Full Version : The Southern Wastes - Group One

BruteSquad01
2010-02-18, 03:15 AM
This is the IC thread for the Southern Wastes, Group One.
OOC Thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142172)

Introduction - August 18, 630 CY
Your various travels have landed you, one way or another, in the Imperial fort-city of Stonedock. The city is regularly assaulted by poor weather from the sea, and until very recently was a target of the hobgoblin and orcish hordes from the southwest. Thus, the people here are stern and hardworking; they are always expecting trouble of some sort, and it seems that preparations are always being made.

Though they are serious folk, the people of Stonedock are friendly to visitors. The two inns here are both very hospitable. The Silver Serpent is very near the docks, and caters mainly to the sailors that continually come and go. Broward’s Tavern and Inn, located in the western part of the city, is the larger of the two. It tends to house Imperial officials and merchants. The finest dining in the city is found at Broward’s, and the rooms are well-appointed, though all but the nicest accommodations are still affordable for most travelers. The proprietors of both establishments are masters of hospitality, and neither one fails to ensure that your stay is as comfortable as possible.

Eventually, you learn that the Registry House is the place for skilled individuals to seek employment or adventure, or both. Each of you decides to stop by at some point, and see what interesting things might be going on. Just so happens, you all arrive at about the same time. The sign out front displays the function of this establishment in typical Imperial fashion:

Imperial Registry of Independent Itinerant Agents
Chapter House 886, City of Stonedock
Thabbeus Stone, Senior Registrar

Upon entering, a small bell rings above the door. You see a large room, with a few tables and benches arranged neatly in the center of the room. The walls are haphazardly adorned with various weapons, trophies, and plaques commemorating the accomplishments of various parties, presumably past and present Agents. A small fire crackles contentedly in the great fireplace, and the large windows in the front and back fill the room with natural light. Taking this in, you hear a rustling and footsteps from up the staircase, on the other side of the room. A gravelly human voice wanders down the stairs, "Hullo, be there shortly!" No one else is here, until the door opens again, and another newcomer enters...

OOC:
First one to post is the first to arrive, feel free to introduce yourselves, wander the room, etc. When everyone arrives, Thabbeus Stone will come downstairs.

Math_Mage
2010-02-18, 04:46 AM
Typical Imperials, thought Eric Matoris with a modicum of disdain as he eyed the paraphernalia scattered about the room. Can't have good deeds be done but that they be done in the name of His Eternal Majesty.

Examining a few awards more closely, he snorts. Tara Windstalker? Rodan Trollbane? Where do they come up with this nonsense? On the bright side, I guess that means they aren't too picky about names, which is all to the good. Certainly it beat hell out of trawling the taverns, which would have been his first choice before he, ah, swore off alcohol. He sat to ponder possible aliases, and had just about settled on Miles Teg when the door he'd come through opened again, admitting...

Calenestel
2010-02-18, 05:14 AM
Somewhat forlornly, or at least a bit lost, the young man second to arrive. He lets his gaze wander the room.

He is an odd fellow, tall and thin as a bean pole he's dressed in purple robes with a multitude of small pockets all over and adorned with small silver planets, halfmoons and stars in constellations unseen at any part in the world. At the waist he carries a belt with an asortment of bottles, vials and paraphernalia accompanied with a dagger.

He is young, around twenty years old, and while he is thin is still good looking, with even, symmetrical features, smooth skin and clear, intelligent blue eyes. His almost black hair is worn long and tied back at the neck. He doesn't seem physically powerful, but he has a way of moving that hints at a very strong personal magnetism.

Quietly, without answering the voice from above or even giving any indication that he has heard, the young man turns left and starts investigating the assorted trophies intently.

This seems like the right place. An adventurer's guild to be sure. Good. That horse was expensive and there's no guessing how long I'll be stuck here. "I miss home..." he said quietly, like he was unaware that he started talking aloud instead of thinking.

Math_Mage
2010-02-18, 07:55 AM
Eric looked over the newcomer, not exactly hiding his gaze. In his past life, those few casters that would condescend to ply their craft at sea were widely respected by the maritime crowd. Most of them had physically been nearly as strong as any sailor, though. Not like this fellow, a living stereotype if he'd ever seen one. Eric grinned to think of that purple robe flapping about on deck. The beanpole would be waterlogged in minutes, like as not.

His grin quickly faded, though, as a tickle in his nose gave him fair warning. He grabbed for his kerchief, about the only thing he bothered to wash regularly, and spent the next minute miserably emptying his sinuses into it. Finally, the fit subsided, and he looked at the cloth in disgust, his throat raw. Guess one damn thing's the same as ever, he thought. I'll have a fancy new collection of allergies before my time's up. Is there any place that isn't going to do this to me? He stomped off to clean his kerchief. It beat thinking about the one place where he knew he could stay ashore in comfort.

(OOC riiight, introduce the character too! Totally forgot, ahaha...)

Eric himself was also fairly tall, but the difference in lifestyle was evident. Rangy and muscled, with tanned skin and callused hands, he bore the unmistakable marks of a sailor. The heavy chain looped at his hip, and the bow strapped to his back, indicated that he'd done more on boats than haul sail and climb rigging. He hadn't exactly come out unscathed, either, judging from the scars on the head and arms, and his somewhat crooked nose. But the deftness of his movement, and the depth of his gaze, belied the initial impression of dumb muscle. He wore his hood up, but this plainly wasn't ordinary practice, as he kept tugging at it like he wanted to take it off entirely.

VinGoodman
2010-02-18, 10:46 AM
As Lorakain enters the room, she sees the two who arrived before her, and flashes each a smile in greeting. She finds an empty bench and sets her backpack down, which hits the floor with a light but audible thud.

She stretches herself, and you can sense the strength and flexibility apparent in her motions. Her chain shirt is worn but well kept. She wears around her neck a chain, ending in an intricate wooden symbol depicting an open palm holding a musical note and emitting rainbow which rests upon her chest, contrasts nicely with the silver metal.

Once comfortable, Lorakain begins walking about the room, her shoulder length golden hair bobbing lightly with every smooth, flowing step. As she moved, her deep blue eyes survey the room and the content within. They catch sight of the trophies and plaques adorning the room, and Lorakain lets out a low whistle of appreciation.

Firebeard
2010-02-18, 12:31 PM
The door bell tinkled as Garan strode into the room. Clad all in black and dark brown leather and cloth, the tall elf looked around the room. His ash blonde hair had a wide dark chestnut streak in it that stood out starkly against his fair skin.

It took but a second for his eyes to adjust to the light in here, as he took in the scene with careful, practiced eyes. He noted the staircase up and the windows as possible points of egress. The scar on his right cheek lifted as he put on a practiced smile, and he turned to regard the others in the room with even greater intensity. The human in the cloak was obviously a bruiser, and a well-practiced one from the look of him. The one in fine robes a caster of some sort, and the young woman a cleric by the looks of her equipment...especially the pendant around her neck. An interesting mix of people in here.

The smile opened wider as he let his charm suffuse his face and body. "My greetings," he said. "It seems we have all found a nice parlor to spend the afternoon in. Pity about the decor" he added wryly, looking at the trophies and weapons adorning the walls. "It is an honor to meet so many fine...how did the sign outside put it?...itinerant agents."

VinGoodman
2010-02-18, 01:42 PM
Lorakain flashes Garan a smile in return. "I am not so sure I qualify to be called an itinerant agents yet. Welcome, and make yourself comfortable. I gather this is your first time in this establishment as well?" Lorakain continues to smile, and looks around to see how the others are responding to the newcomer.

"I am rather fascinated by the decor, in fact. Just think, how much knowledge and wisdom was gained by all these fine people, putting themselves in harms way for whatever reasons they paid heed to." With that last statement, a sense of wonderment fills her face as she contemplates what it could've been like for those who traveled this path before her.

Calenestel
2010-02-18, 02:03 PM
The man in the purple robes seems lost in his own gloomy thoughts, not reacting to Eric blowing his nose or any of the others' arrivals. Quietly and methodicaly he makes his way ever to the right.
Then the elf raises his voice in greeting making him flinch visibly. He had been lost in his own contemplation quite thoroughly and wasn't ready for anyone speaking up.

Surprised to see other people in the room, he hadn't even noticed Eric who was there when he arrived, he flashes the other a wide, infectous smile and dips into a bow. The young man's force of personality is strong but obviously benign and when he smiles he has a way of making most people feel comfortable and at ease. Even though he doesn't seem particularly aware of the fact.

"Indeed, so it would seem! How delightful, good people. My name is Mythos. Mythos Harpell, presently out of Longsaddle?"

There is a hint of a question to his presentation. It could be simply an unspoken question to their own names. But it's almost as he tries to gauge their reaction to the names he presented, to see if anyone recognized anything.

Firebeard
2010-02-18, 02:05 PM
"Indeed it is. I heard word that something important was about to happen, and this was the place to find out more about it." He looked at the trophies and plaques around them.

"It is good that you are inspired by such evidence of bravery, strength, a virtue as what you see around here. It speaks well towards your character that you are not as cynical as one like I." Picking up a plaque and pointing to the name Garsh Goblinslayer, Garan said "take this one for instance. If this is the same Garsh responsible for the routing of the Yellow Moon clan 15 years ago, the story is quite different from what is bandied about in tavern tales. "

"According to my sources, Garsh led an attack on the Yellow Moon and lost nearly three fifths of his forces to an ambush. He was found 2 days later with a head wound, curled up behind a cleft in the rock, whimpering at every noise. Apparently His Lieutenant, a man by the name of Brezak if I am not mistaken, rallied the troops and turned the tide. He was killed in a "riding accident" on the way home and by the time the remnants of the force arrived in town Garsh had them all half convinced he had managed to lead the victory."

"So you see, dear Lady, that there is virtue to emulate and aspire to. Even if the more ... public, shall we say ... trappings of it are obscured or even false."

VinGoodman
2010-02-18, 02:27 PM
Lorakain gasps at the story. "What an amazing tale. Truly, if this is the case, I am saddened that Brezak is no longer with the living, for surely those who would've followed him thereafter would have learned much. As for the Garsh that you speak of, I fear the loss was his, if he failed to learn what the world attempted to teach him. Wisdom is always there, and it is up to the individuals to make the best of what is offered them."

"But, look at this, how rude of me. I fear I have yet to introduce myself. I am Lorakain." She pauses to make a mental note of all who have introduced themselves up to this point.

"Mythos, it's a pleasure to meet you here this afternoon. I fear I am not familiar with Longsaddle. How far was the journey for you, to find yourself here in Stonedock?" There was absolutely no sign of recognition or reaction in her tone of voice.

She turns back to Garan, and continued their conversation. "You have told a great story. Are there more that you would consider sharing? If so, I hope our journey will keep us on the same paths for a while."

Math_Mage
2010-02-18, 03:25 PM
"Longsaddle?" Eric asked when Mythos introduced himself. "I've been all around the map, and never heard of such a place. Deep inland, perhaps? Oh, uh, the name's Miles, by the way."

Bluff: [roll0]
He stiffened a little at the elf's cool, dry tone, but Lorakain's wide-eyed response forced him to restrain a snicker. This should be fun, he thought.

Calenestel
2010-02-18, 04:11 PM
Torn between the discussion and his study of the wall he gives the former only half a mind. He gives Lorakain an apologetic smile when she turns her attention to him and shrugs almost helplessly. Now, why WOULD they have heard of his clan and home? Oh, well. If this adventuring business pans out, one day he'll be powerful or rich enough to get home again. Until then he'd just have to be patient. Except. He never were any good at that.
His tone when he answeres her is light, friendly and very genteel.

"My dear, I'm afraid that my journey here was quite instantanious. It's all rather complicated you see.. My cousin Harkle had had this wonderful idea of a new spell and...

At this point the young mage trailed of and looked to Eric who had his own thoughts on the subject.

Sense Motive [roll0]

That the man wasn't entirely straightforward with his name didn't seem to bother the man, if he noticed it at all.

"Deep inland? Oh, my... No... It's just a couple of days travel from the Sword Coast! Which... you probably never have heard of, have you?"
He starts out quite enthusiasticly but trails of slightly abashed. He must try to remember, when he tried to explain this to the guards of the Watch they had only let him go because he seemed like a HARMLESS madman. The idea of the Multiverse was woefully unexplored in this world. Even more so than on Toril.

Firebeard
2010-02-18, 05:19 PM
"Miles, is it?" Garan asked with an easy grin. "I am Garan. A pleasure to meet you." The hesitation in the man's voice when he gave his name sparked Garan's curiosity. In his line of work, he met people every day that witheld their true names for one reason or another. He wondered if this human was one of those.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Listening to Mythos' story he wondered if the man was insane, or quite possible the most knowledgeable person he had ever met. Perhaps I would be wise to stay with him until it becomes clear. Aloud he said, "I have never heard of Longsaddle either. Perhaps you will have the opportunity to tell us more about it. That and this Sword Coast you speak of."

Turning back to Miles, he said , "I wonder what is keeping our esteemed host? It appears that there are itinerant agents here to be registered and no one here to do it."

Math_Mage
2010-02-18, 06:24 PM
Eric sank back, somewhat dejected and embarrassed. A sailor, unable to identify a coast? "Guess I should've spent more time looking over the navigator's shoulder," he muttered.

Hearing Garan's comment, he raised his head. "Could be they're waiting for a full party to show up," he suggested, smiling wryly. "Bureaucrats, y'know? Everything's gotta be nice and orderly for the paperwo--ACHOO! Sorry. The paperwork."

Croverus
2010-02-19, 03:32 AM
The door opens again and an arctic dwarf enters. He's solidly built, with his icey hair pulled back into a three braids that are then braided together. His beard is seperated into two beards, held together by a metal clasp then tucked into his belt. A shield rests on his backa nd an axe sits within easy reach on his belt. His face is stern and he looks around the tavern. He closes the door behind him, adjusting the furs he wears over his armor, a glint of metal catching the light. He goes to one of the walls, ignoring the trophies and instead examining the various weapons. Not many are dwarven make, that much he can tell. He glances over now at the others who are already here, but looks back at the weapons, deciding not to socialize just yet.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-19, 04:32 AM
As you all arrive, and during the conversation, you continually hear heavy footsteps upstairs, accompanied by the occasional loud thump or crash, usually followed by some harsh cursing. Shortly after the dwarf enters, you hear a much larger crash as several boxes of papers and other sundries tumble down the stairs, spreading into the main room. Another loud oath is followed by one last box as it is thrown down the stairs and explodes against the wall in a papery cloud of frustration.

As the paper settles, those heavy footsteps march down the stairs. Their owner is a large, muscular-framed old man, with balding, silvery hair and more than a few old scars. His expression of barely-concealed rage changes to a polite, business-like smile as he perceives the group of newcomers.

My apologies for the mess, and for keeping you waiting. By the look of you, you’re not here to post a job, so that means you’re here to get one, I take it? Any of you lot registered agents, by any chance? No? I’ll just fetch a few forms, then. He turns around, as if to return up the stairs, and pauses, as if noticing the mess for the first time.

Right, we can do the forms later, I suppose. We tend to take some liberties with proper procedure out here on the fringe, anyways. Now, I’m Thabbeus Stone, Senior Registrar here in Stonedock. Everyone here just calls me Stony, so you just stick to that, if you don’t mind, thank you. For now, I’ll just take your names and note your area of expertise. I’ve not got a lot of jobs available, but you all can see the postings upstairs, and see if anything interests you, once we’re done here.

Stony sits at one of the benches, and produces a small journal and a stick of wrapped chalk for writing. He flips to a blank page and notates the date, and is ready to take notes as you introduce yourselves.

Math_Mage
2010-02-19, 05:20 AM
"Miles Teg, sailor and brawler," Eric said easily. Practice makes perfect. "Any work is a start."

VinGoodman
2010-02-19, 05:21 AM
Lorakain spoke up, a bit too eagerly and too loudly as her voice rings melodiously and fills the room, "I am Lorakain Fletcher, follower of Lydia and a practitioner of the divine arts."

Calenestel
2010-02-19, 05:32 AM
His smile reappears quickly when Garan asks him to tell them more about his home town. He finds an almost childish delight in such topics, even though he might never return, and there is indeed a LOT to tell about the Wizards of Longsaddle.

"Oh, yes. I could certainly do that. You see the Wi-"
The explosion of paper cuts whatever he was about to say short and he spins towards the stairs, his left hand flashing to one of the numerous pockets of his robe producing a small piece of leather that he clenches tightly. He continues gripping it even after it becomes clear that this is all perfectly normal.

When Stony asks for their names he steps forward, not quickly and therefore a little behind the faster ones.

"I am Mythos Harpell of Longsaddle. A mage and student of the arcane."

Firebeard
2010-02-19, 08:13 AM
When the Arctic Dwarf walked in, Garan had to work hard to control his initial reaction. While he personally had no ill feelings towards the dwarven people, relationships between the Dwarves and Elves had been strained for ages. And to see an Artic Dwarf so far North was ... unusual to say the least. Keeping an eye on the dwarf, he continued his conversation with Mythos.

The sudden crash of boxes and papers nearly caused him to draw a weapon...a mistake that could have proven costly in the wrong circumstances I need to work on that. That could have ended badly.

As the Registrar talked, Garan calmed himself and flicked the easy smile back on his face. Registered Agent? I probably outrank him. He waited for the others to speak and decided not to mention his Investigator status just yet. It sometimes put people off and he was curious to learn what had drawn such a motley, but effective looking, crew together. Was the "big thing" he had heard about going to require a group such as this? It could be interesting.

Stepping forward he introduced himself to the Registrar, including the dwarf in his speech. "I am Garan Merceness. I wield the blade and have some small spellcraft as well. Though I doubt I am nearly as competent at either as these two gentlemen," he said looking at Miles and Mythos. "I also have some talent in gathering information, stalking foes, and generally being a charming person." The last he said with an exaggerated wink. Garan had learned long ago that people took him less seriously if he affected these types of gestures, which put them at ease and made his job a whole lot easier.

Croverus
2010-02-19, 09:18 PM
Without looking away from the weapons the dwarf speaks in a ruff voice.

"Dragure. Of clan Icegreaves. You point me at the bad guys and I'll remove them."

His simple statement certainly looked like he meant it, his thick arms crossing his chest as he examined the quality of one of the blades.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-19, 11:36 PM
Stony stops writing as Garan states his name, and shows the briefest look of recognition, but mentions nothing.

Charming, eh? Aren’t we all…

First things first, there’s a few rules we need to go over. We’ve got lots of rules around here, but these are the important ones.

First, I am not your boss. This isn’t a military unit, though the military will come to us occasionally for specialists. You pick your own jobs, and you can refuse any job offered, and I don’t have a say either way. I’m glad to lend advice, though, on what looks good and what looks like a scam, or if it looks too dangerous, but if you want to go off and get yourself killed, I’m not going to try overly hard to talk you out of it.

Second, and this one’s really the most important; you can’t take a job, and you can't post a job, that has a reasonable chance to harm a citizen or institution of the Empire or its allies, whether physically or monetarily. In other words, ya can’t kill Imperial citizens, and don’t steal from them or from us. Also, registering here does not give you any authority to act as an Imperial official of any sort. You’re all still ordinary citizens, as far as the law is concerned, and if you break the law, you will be barred from the Registry. That's fairly simple, I should think.

Finally, you all are welcome in the Registry House, either here or in any other city. Down here is open to the public, and we rent it out for meetings and such, as well. Upstairs is members only, so you’re welcome there. That’s where job postings will be, and you’re welcome to congregate there; sometimes we’ll get some ale or finer stuff from Broward’s, across the square here, and have a get-together, swap stories, and such. Usually, though, we just go to Broward’s anyway, so as we can eat, too. Speaking of which…

Stony closes his book and gets up. Surveying the mess at the bottom of the stairs, he furrows his brow. I’ve got quite the mess on my hands here. If you all would help me sort this out, it shouldn’t take but a half hour with all of us, and I’ll buy us all lunch and a drink at Broward’s when we’re done. Not the most exciting, as far as first jobs go, but otherwise I’ll be at it all evening.

Croverus
2010-02-20, 12:58 AM
"Might as well get started then. Never heard of a pint that didn't have some work to be done for it."

The cold attitude seemed to continue with Dragure while he began to gather up papers.

Calenestel
2010-02-20, 01:36 AM
"Yes. Well, no sense dawdling. like uncle Malchor used to say."

The young mage set to work gathering up the paperwork with an air of earlier experience.

Math_Mage
2010-02-20, 02:07 AM
Eric sighed. And thus begins my exciting new life. He bent down and picked up a pile of papers. "Sooner started, sooner finished."

VinGoodman
2010-02-20, 02:36 AM
Lorakain knelt down, and began helping gathering the papers as well. "I'd be glad to help." She surveys the paperwork as she gathers them up.

Firebeard
2010-02-20, 07:10 AM
"By all means, let's." Garan said, stooping to help pick up hte papers. His eyes slid quickly over each and he ruffled them into neat stacks. He wasn't really expecting to find anything of interest, so he didn't pause too long. It was mostly just habit and it was unlikely any of the others noticed it.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-21, 01:44 AM
As you all gather up the papers and other items (nothing looks particularly valuable), you notice a lot of registration forms and lists of regulations, expense reports and inventory logs. Some of these look like records from various departments of the city government, but you can't be sure. Stony instructs you not to worry about organizing anything; he'll deal with that later.

You're making good progress at the mess, when the front door opens, and two city watchmen enter. They're both younger men, but each displays at least a few battle scars from the recent war with the hobgoblins. Hey, Stony! Got a letter for ya, from a sergeant at one of the outposts. I guess a group of your agents was going to check in with them? Well, they never showed up, and they're a day late. It's all in the note, here.

Stony reads the note, and turns to the newly registered agents. If cleaning up papers isn't exciting enough for you, I've got a real job for you all, and the pay is a bit better. One of the benefits of being a registered agent is, if you get lost, we'll send a search party for you, provided there's a party willing to search. That's where you all come in.

I signed up a group of agents a couple weeks ago, and they went out lookin' for treasure or something in some ruins near the Gjol. They were all merchants' kids, or one of 'em was a nephew of the governor, I think. Anyways, I could tell these brats couldn't even describe a hobgoblin between the four of 'em, much less fight one, so I tried to talk them out of it. They wouldn't listen, though, but I convinced them to at least check in with one of the outposts down there, and they were more than able to pay the fee for a rescue party.

Now like I said, this bunch were just kids trying to play at being heroes. You all look like competent folk, so I think you should be able to handle yourselves. If you can bring those boys home, or at least evidence of their fate, there's a fee of 1,200 gold pieces due to you, to split up, paid by the Empire. If you bring them back safe, I'll make sure their folks know who's responsible, and you'll likely receive a hefty "thank you." As long as they stayed north of the river, they're probably just lost. Eventually, though, they'll run afoul of orcs or some such, if they haven't already.

So. Interested?

Math_Mage
2010-02-21, 03:11 AM
Eric winced slightly at the mention of a governor's nephew, but the prospect of a rescue mission sounded, well, "Promising. Hobgoblins--orange, ugly, bleed when ya hit 'em, right?" Now that he thought about it, there was a symmetry to it--save one in the south...He shook himself. "If them lubbers are still in one piece when we find 'em, they'll be in one piece when we get back. Well, I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but..." He glanced at the rest of the group, somewhat embarrassed at his presumption. On top of that, the explosion of paper had stirred up dust, and he felt another sneeze coming on. "Well, I'm--ACHOO!--for it, anyway," he finished lamely.

Calenestel
2010-02-21, 03:20 AM
With his arms full of papers, the young mage looks up from his toils when the doors opens to let in some newcomers. Two of the city guard none the less, but he doesn't recognize any of them. They mustn't have been the ones who arrested him. Not that it matters. A wide grin split his face when he heard Stony's story and a gleam sprang up in his eyes, an adventurous sparkle that seemed to set his blue eyes afire. Throwing his arms out wide, and thereby spreading the papers he had just gathered anew he nods vigorously.

"Indeed we will! Fellow adventurers in need, what else could we do?" he asks, thereby looking to those gathered who hadn't spoke up yet.
"Come, friends. Let us see where the roads will take us!"

Firebeard
2010-02-21, 07:09 AM
"It sounds ..interesting" said Garan, and he made his trade in interesting things. Perhaps saving these boys would provide his some useful contacts with the nobility here. Or maybe, just maybe, it would lead to something bigger. "Being young and stupid isn't a capital offense, though sometimes it turns out that way. I say we go and bring these youths back, and perhaps find out what was so interesting about those ruins that they would run off unprepared and ill-equipped to find out."

VinGoodman
2010-02-21, 04:49 PM
"This sounds like a worthwhile endeavor. I am more than game for it. I wouldn't mind a bit of exploring of the ruins myself, if time and circumstances allow for it." Lorakain thought a bit about the upcoming trip. "You've mentioned hobgoblins and orcs. Are there other possible hostile creatures we should keep an eye out for?"

BruteSquad01
2010-02-22, 01:36 AM
On the north side of the river, you should not see any hobgoblins; that would breach the truce we have with them. The orcs signed no treaty, though, so you might run into a group of them. If you can, kill ‘em all, I say, as they’re just here to steal and kill. As for other hostile creatures, there are grizzly bears near the mountains, and they’re mean. Everything else should stay out of your way, I think. Just stay north of the river! If they’ve crossed into hobgoblin territory, then they deserve whatever fate they get. If you go tanglin’ with them on their own turf, it could start the war all over again, and nobody wants that!

So, if you’re all ready to go, you can make it to the outpost well before nightfall. It’s less than ten miles, on a hill looking over the river. Once you’re there, ask for Sergeant Bertrand, he’ll tell you where the ruins are supposed to be, and if there are areas to avoid. If you need supplies, though, get them here in town. The outpost won't have much to spare, if anything. Best to get a move on; it's not safe out there at night!

Croverus
2010-02-22, 01:59 AM
"Sounds like a good exercise."

He sets the two bundles of papers he had gathered under his arms and sets them on a table.

Calenestel
2010-02-22, 03:11 AM
Straightening his robe slightly the expatriot Harpell smiles eagerly and looks to his companions-to-be. "I have some equipment to gather up at Broward's Tavern and Inn, and I suppose some of you have similiar ideas. Shall we go, then?"

Firebeard
2010-02-22, 08:10 AM
"Let's meet outside Broward's in, say 20 minutes? That should give everyone time to settle accounts and get their gear. We can go from there."

Math_Mage
2010-02-22, 12:13 PM
"Aye," Eric said absently, already running through his pack in his head. What did he still need? A sleeping bag, maybe a restorative or two. "See you in fifteen, then." A habit, that--being late to board meant being left ashore.

VinGoodman
2010-02-22, 01:01 PM
"Browards it is. I shall see you all there." Lorakain wanders down to the local general store. She does not relish adding to her already heavy burden, but they have been gone a couple of weeks now, and there may be more exploration and a return trip to consider. She can hunt a little, but it would not be pleasant to be going hungry when you are furthest away from civilization. "Let's see, 6 day's rations, a waterskin, and a sack, please. Ooh, are those tindertwigs? I'll take 2."

Lorakain grunts as the extra purchases weighs her down even more. Even though she appreciates the need to be prepared, she could never get used to the burden associated with extended hikes.

Ooh, I hope someone remembers a light source. And rope. She looks at the various lanterns and other gears. But, feeling the weight behind, her, she finally gave up and prays that someon else has thought through the same needs and made sure to meet them.

Sighing, and berating herself a little for not having made those additional purchases, she works her way to Broward's and waits for the rest of the group.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-22, 06:15 PM
Having gathered last-minute supplies, you gather at the square in front of Broward’s Tavern. Now assembled, the newly formed team sets out according to Stony’s directions. You travel south along the coast road; fortunately, the weather is quite pleasant today. It is warm, but not uncomfortably so, and a cool breeze blows constantly from the sea. The road itself sits high on the cliffs overlooking the ocean, and waves crash against the rocks at least a hundred feet below. You encounter few signs of life; a shepherd with a small flock within sight of the city walls, and a man and young boy heading towards the city with a wagon of potatoes. They all acknowledge you with a solemn nod, but continue with their work. The young boy smiles widely, admiring your various weapons, but says nothing.

After a couple hours, you turn west along a small trail Stony instructed you to look for. In a few minutes, you reach the top of a hill, and the outpost is apparent to you, barely a mile away on another hilltop. It looks like an easily defended position; as far as you can see, there is only one easy approach up the hill. A low stone wall, no more than ten feet high, surrounds the few buildings in the compound. A wooden tower rises about 30 feet above the fort, and you imagine that anyone inside would be in a good position to see anything that moves in the vicinity.

As you approach, two soldiers stand at attention, guarding the gate. A third guard approaches, holding up his hand for you to stop. His face is serious, but his tone is light-hearted. Good afternoon madam, gentlemen. Master dwarf. What business brings you to the Gjol today?

VinGoodman
2010-02-22, 06:24 PM
"Good day. We are here to speak with Sergeant Bertrand." Realizing that a little more information may be warranted, Lorakain quickly added, "we are agents from Stonedock, on an agent search and rescue assignment. Our contact in Stonedock suggested Sergeant Bertrand would be the person to speak with." With that, Lorakain flashes the guards a smile, hoping brighten their otherwise likely mundane and dreary day.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-22, 08:14 PM
Ah, yes, that’s an unfortunate business, that. The sergeant is not here, actually. He went to one of the other outposts, I think, but he briefed me on what’s going on. We didn’t expect Stony would have anyone to send for a day or two, at least. We’re spread too thin out here to spare anyone to look for them, though I suppose that may change if the Governor gets word of this. By that time, though, you all will have them safe and sound at home, I’m sure. The young soldier explains to you as he leads you into the fort.

I’m Corporal Justis, by the way. We should be able to find a place for you to sleep here. I wouldn’t wander out there at night, if I were you. The ruins that those kids were exploring are a few more miles up the river, but there’s no trail, and it’s rough country, so it’ll take you probably half a day to reach the area. Follow the river upstream, and there’s a large oxbow, goes almost a mile to the south, so it’s kind of surrounded by hobgoblin territory. It’s still on our side of the river, though, so you shouldn’t meet any of the orange bastards. The ruins are in that bend, so start your search there.

Alright, looks like some spare bunks there, not much, but it’s clean. There’s food cooking in the pit, so help yourself. You’ll want to get an early start, and spend as few nights out there as possible. The sergeant left me in charge while he’s gone, so I’ve got to get to work, so if you’ve got any questions, make it quick!

Calenestel
2010-02-23, 12:39 AM
Mythos, having a room at Broward's and having all his gear in order before going to the Adventurers' Guild is ready and waiting in good time. Aside from having added a deep blue cloak, seemingly with more pockets, he carries little more. Only weapons, a crossbow hanging from his left shoulder in a leather cord and a beautifully crafted quarterstaff which he carries in his right hand, leading a slender but fast-looking horse with his free hand. The horse has a pair of bulging saddlebags with a lantern strapped on the outside.
When the party of herore-to-be set out from Stonedock, just as they leave the city gates, a raven darts in in a flutter of black feathers, landing on an outstretched arm, offered by the young mage. Saying in croaking, but perfectly understandable common: "Hey, boss. We're leaving now?"

Stroking the feathered head of the black bird affectionately the mage explains the situation to the raven he calls Edgar. And Edgar makes the journey with the party, either flying, sitting on his master's arm or on the head of the horse. Much to the horse's dismay.

When they reach the outpost he listens intently on the corporal and when offered bunk and food dismounts.

"Well and good, corporal. I wonder, are the trail passable by horse? And is there any possibility to stable my horse here? I will pay for his oats if need be, of course."

Math_Mage
2010-02-23, 01:41 AM
"Did those kids come through here before?" Eric inquired. "Be nice to know a little more about what they're after. Also," and he glanced down at his chain, "is there a place inside where I could swing this thing without getting in the way? Else I'll stay out here a while to practice."

BruteSquad01
2010-02-23, 05:07 AM
Like I said, there’s really no trail to speak of, but you should be able to get a horse through there, but it will be slow. Could be handy, though; if one of the boys is wounded, you could carry him back more easily. As for tonight, go ahead and take him over that way, Roberts will take care of him.

It’s a bit crowded inside, you should probably take that chain outside. Just stay near the gate, don’t want you to get locked out tonight. Did they come here? Not on their way out, no, but one of them, Marcus, I know fairly well. His father was an officer in the Army, good man. Marcus has a good head on his shoulders, all things considered. Looks like he just got swept up in the excitement, but if they’ve gotten into some real trouble, I half expect Marcus could get them out himself. He won’t leave them behind, though, so if they’re hurt, he’ll stay with them instead of coming back for help.

As for what they’re after, who knows? I don’t think even they have any clue, other than some excitement and maybe a bit of treasure. Those ruins though, I hear there’s supposed to be some caves or underground complex of some sort. They were here long before the Empire was, though, as far as I know. They were ruins when Stonedock was founded, at least, so who knows what could be under there? Though by this time, I’d expect, there’s probably a whole lot of nothing.

Math_Mage
2010-02-23, 11:26 AM
"Well, we'll keep an eye out for Marcus--and the rest, of course. Thanks for the heads-up. For now, though, I'll just head over there," and Eric pointed, "and get started." Unhooking the chain from his waist, Eric strode to the side of the encampment, where he could practice in privacy, and began swinging.

Firebeard
2010-02-23, 11:51 AM
"Before we encamp for the night, I was wondering if anyone brought the appropriate tools for exploring caverns, and if not whether we could provision ourselves here. I have ample light, I believe, but I did not bring any rope. Do any of you have some, just in case?"

VinGoodman
2010-02-23, 12:19 PM
Lorakain shakes her head sadly. She knew she should have bought it, but the desire for comfort got the best of her. "If no one else has rope, and perhaps a grappling hook, with them, perhaps we can ask the guards for to see if they have one to spare. Is there anything else we might need?" Once a list of the unmet needs is drawn up, she offers to talk to the guards, if no one steps up. Afterward procuring whatever she can, she beds down for the night, eager and anxious for the coming day.

Calenestel
2010-02-23, 12:32 PM
"Rope? Rope.... Hm... Rope..." Mythos looks skyward, ticking fings of on his fingers and searching through his saddlebags in his imagination before shining up in a smile. "Oh, yes... I have... about fifty feet or so. No grappling hook, though."

Math_Mage
2010-02-23, 12:32 PM
Eric comes into camp, checks to make sure his rope is still in the pack along with his other equipment, then beds down.

(OOC: our character sheets *are* on the 1st page of the OOC thread if people are concerned about equipment distribution...)

BruteSquad01
2010-02-27, 04:51 AM
August 19, 630 CY - the Gjol River
The next morning, you all wake very early, setting out just before sunrise. Though the ruin site is only a few miles away, you find the terrain to be very hilly and rocky, just as the corporal said. The river’s path is somewhat meandering, as well, extending your journey. You see no one on either side of the river, and no sign that anyone has been here, except for the occasional signs of a makeshift bridge that once spanned the gorge and the river below. As the sun rises in the sky, your thoughts turn towards stopping to rest briefly. Crossing the next ridge, you finally spot your destination. The land there is a bit lower in elevation, granting access to the river directly. In the center of the peninsula stands what appears to be a small town, but as you study, it becomes apparent that the place is, indeed, an abandoned ruin. Still, you perceive no signs of life, either human or hobgoblin, either in the ruins or anywhere else. From your current vantage point, you are well positioned to notice any movement there or in the vicinity, but it certainly would be possible that someone is hiding among the ruins, or under them, if the underground complex truly exists.

Math_Mage
2010-02-27, 09:38 AM
Eric strode along cheerfully, listening to the chattering wildlife and the rumbling river. It wasn't the ocean, of course, and eventually he decided to add his voice to the morning noise. "Say, Garan," he commented easily, "how d'ya know so much about the area? I'm quite sure I'd never heard of that Goblinslayer fella before comin' ashore. Was he famous or some such?"

Firebeard
2010-02-27, 12:21 PM
Eyeing the man beside him thoughtfully, Garan replied "Would it surprise you to learn I was there?" Seeing the other's look of amazement, he hastily clarified "Not at the actual battle, of course, but the aftermath. I talked with some of the survivors. Before Garash got to them and threatened, cajoled, and even bribed them to change their stories."

"It's a local tale, and so most of his fame is contained in this area for about...oh, I don't know 30 miles or so. I doubt, for example, that people in the Silver Hills ever knew he existed."

Looking back a the group, and then at the ruins ahead he continued, "If we bring back these youths, perhaps they'll sing songs of us, eh? Talk of the intrepid Miles, with his swinging chain and seaman's chanties. With Garan, Lorakain, Mythos, and Dragure at his side. Perhaps I should have been a bard, and then I could start composing the ballad now."

Calenestel
2010-02-27, 12:52 PM
Leading the horse instead of riding, the lanky mage listens to the discussion and laughs openly at Garan's theory. He shakes his head softly, but still his eyes gleam at the opportunity to earn glory and riches. An adventurer's life was invigorating, if perilous.

"If the bard's are to sing about how we saved the lives of our fellow adventurers, let that just be the beginning, the foreword, for the epic tales of our exploits, says I! And let that tale be both long and exciting! I for one am going to make a lasting impression!"

Math_Mage
2010-02-27, 05:20 PM
"Oh, I'm not sure I'd want my name sung beside Garash's," Eric said cheerfully. "It's enough to help people--and have some fun, too, yeah?" He trailed off into silence for a while, then started singing quietly in his unremarkable baritone voice. "A poor old man came riding by. And they say so, and they hope so..."

Firebeard
2010-02-27, 05:32 PM
Garan looked thoughtful for a moment and then joined in with a light tenor "A poor old man came riding by, Oh, poor old horse. Says I, Old man your horse will die, and they say so and they hope so"

Math_Mage
2010-02-27, 07:09 PM
Startled, Eric held the tune till the end, then started chuckling. "You've been all over the place, haven't you?" Well, the long-lived elves had time to get about, so it wasn't too surprising. But Garan had taken the time to learn such a down-to-earth thing, which wasn't at all how Eric had thought of elves before. On the continent they had always looked down their nose at him, and when he finally picked up enough of their language to understand their conversation, it hadn't been pleasant. (Though, of course, on the choice few occasions he'd chosen to respond in kind, their expressions had been priceless! Eric grinned at the memory.) Garan seemed quite different, and the change was much appreciated.

Firebeard
2010-02-27, 07:36 PM
"All over the place indeed...and then back again. I grew up on one of the Elven Islands and sepnt many hours as a child near the docks. I'd pick up sailors' sea chanties and then sing them at my parents when I wanted to annoy them." He smiled.

"I see no signs of the youths, and no one has come out to applaud our singing, so I imagine we'd better head into the ruins to see what we can find. I would suggest everyone keep their weapons to hand and prepare for the worst. Keep an eye out for any sign of this underground complex, or any entrances to it."

Math_Mage
2010-02-27, 08:24 PM
"Aye, rousing as beating The Dead Horse might be, it isn't gonna find us that group less'n they're already safe." Abruptly sober, Eric surreptitiously unclips his chain from his waist as the party makes tracks towards the ruins.

VinGoodman
2010-02-27, 10:15 PM
"Garan, Eric, you'll have to sing for us some more when this is all over. You have beautiful voices." Lorakain enjoyed the pleasantries, but realized it was time to get down to business as well. She falls into step with the group and heads to the ruins.

Calenestel
2010-02-28, 12:59 AM
Listening to the foreign song he can't avoid a bit of a stab of home sickness. Music is the same everywhere, but he had never heard either melody or lyric before and it just seemed to... accentuate the point that he didn't quite belong here. Oh, well. What you can't change has to be endureed. At least I seem to be on the way of making some decent firends. Forcing out a bittersweet smile and keeping himself from getting lost in his own gloomy thoughts he plods on, silent for once, until the ruins draw near. Then he raises his free hand in the air saying: "Well, here we are then. What now? Go inside?"

BruteSquad01
2010-02-28, 03:09 PM
After picking your way down the rocky hill, it is a short walk to the ruined town. Corporal Justis was right; this place was abandoned long before the Empire arrived. The buildings were made of stone, the only material in abundance in this area, and many of them still have at least one wall intact. The center of town has a sizable paved square, with what looks to have been a temple or hall on the northwest side. On the south corner is a larger building that was probably an inn. It is mostly intact, at least from what you can see in the square, but there are noticeable holes in the roof, and the windows are all missing, some boarded up with heavily rotted wood. Weeds and vines have grown up around all the buildings, and it is evident that the local wildlife has claimed the town for their own. Several birds nest in the windows of buildings or the remnants of chimneys. Mice scurry about between the buildings, and a snake suns itself in the square, all seemingly unconcerned with your presence. At first glance, there is no sign of recent activity, either human or hobgoblin. It seems to be a peaceful place, the babbling river surrounds the town on three sides, and the sun shines warmly on the village. You wonder why anyone would have left…

Math_Mage
2010-02-28, 05:28 PM
"This place gives me the creeps," Eric muttered, kicking at loose gravel. "Ruins should be more...ruined. If I didn't know better, I'd say that governor's son was looking to start his own town here." He stuck close to the front of the party, eyes peeled--albeit a little red and watery (damn rodents!).

BruteSquad01
2010-02-28, 06:04 PM
Map of the village...

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1132/ruinedvillage.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1132/ruinedvillage.jpg)

Calenestel
2010-03-01, 01:45 AM
"Well, you have to admit. Aside from being so close to the hobgoblins, it's actually a really good place to bild a town. Easily defended and all that. By the Red Knight's gauntlet, if they have any wells in town they could hold a siege with no problem... Eh... You know, for a siege, that is. And with a wall." Looking at the old, ruined buildings with an almost admiring look on his face, the young mage fail to notice the stone in his path, stumbling slightly before gaining his feet again. "And there's lot of building materials just laying around, isn't there?"

VinGoodman
2010-03-01, 01:50 AM
"And perhaps, someday, this will be a town again," responded Lorakain, as she wandered with the group and contemplated what this town must have been like back when it was populated and alive.

OOC
Edited to fix name - sorry about the mix-up

Math_Mage
2010-03-01, 02:18 AM
Mythos was really befuddling Eric. First the nonexistent Sword Coast, now the unknown Red Knight--some regional deity? Not to mention this business about withstanding sieges in an empty town--but that was just babble, not mysterious at all. Was the man just a nut?

"Siege, you say, but there weren't no siege here. There's no signs of violence I can see, only decay. In fact," and Eric eyed the southern building suspiciously, "those boarded-up windows are the only sign that anything's been here since the place started going to seed. Should we start there, d'you think?"

Calenestel
2010-03-01, 02:34 AM
"Hum?..." Mythos gives the sailor a confused look, not really following the man's reasoning at first. Then a light goes up and he shakes his head. "Oh... No, no, no... I was speaking hypotheticaly. I've read a book or two on warcraft, and I just think that with the right... preparations. This place could be a formidable defensive position."

Looking around at the surrounding buildings some more he then nods. "That sounds as good as anything. I'm just going to... Edgar!"

When the raven has flown the short distance between the saddle and his master's arm the man pets it quickly, saying: "Dear friend, would you please take a look at the area from above? See if you see anyone skulking around, for example?"

With a "You've got it, boss!" the Raven flies of.

"Shall we, then?"

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 08:23 AM
Garan, who had been looking intently at everything except the large building, finally stared long and hard at it. At Miles' suggestion, he shrugged and said "I suppose it is as good a place as any to start."

Glancing about them, he approached the building with the others, looking for any signs of recent habitation or exploration.

I suppose now is as good a time as any to start rolling dice.

search: [roll0]
spot: [roll1]

Math_Mage
2010-03-01, 09:00 AM
Having made his observation, Eric proceeded to observe the building carefully as he approached.

Dice you say?! :smalleek:

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

VinGoodman
2010-03-01, 11:05 AM
Lorakain joins the group, looking for any signs of interest (mainly anything freshly disturbed or other similar signs indicating recent visits).

OOC

listen [roll0]
spot [roll1]
search [roll2]

Edited to fix name - sorry about that mix-up.

Calenestel
2010-03-01, 12:27 PM
When the others head for the larger building Mythos slowly follows then, waiting for Edgar's short look around.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-01, 03:19 PM
Mythos and Garan:
You notice several crumbs of food between the paving stones in the square in front of the building. You also find a scrap of wrapping cloth commonly used for trail rations.

Lorakain:
You can't be sure, but you might have heard a voice from inside the building.

Mythos:
Edgar returns and reports that no one else seems to be in the village, but there is a small camp of hobgoblins across the river, maybe a quarter-mile inland. They seem to be minding their own business, though.

VinGoodman
2010-03-01, 03:27 PM
Lorakain quickly speaks up, loud enough for the group but hopefully not loud enough to alert those inside the building of their presence. "I think there may be people inside the building." She pulls out the morningstar as she continues with the group toward the building.

Firebeard
2010-03-01, 03:53 PM
"There's what looks to be the remnants of trail rations here too. I suggest we move in carefully." Garan's hand remains near his rapier, but he does not draw the sword yet. Perhaps there is nothing to be alarmed about.

Calenestel
2010-03-01, 03:55 PM
"Well... There HAS been somewhere here, at least." The young mage bends forward and picks up a small scrap of cloth. Still with a few crumbs of hard cheese clinging to it. "They left trails for us."

At that, Edgar returns, giving his reports. To which the raven's master simply shrugs.
"As long as they keep on their side, and isn't up to anything, then I say let them be. We're not here to make trouble, are we?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-01, 10:21 PM
EDIT: (OOC oops, misinterpreted a previous comment.)

BruteSquad01
2010-03-04, 09:09 PM
You all enter the building. Light pours in from the windows that aren't boarded up, and from holes in the roof and second floor. A bar in the middle of the main room confirms that this must have been the tavern here, but it is otherwise devoid of furnishings. Only the creaky floor breaks the silence here.

OOC:

1. Eric
2. Lorakain
3. Garan
4. Mythos
5. Dragure

[roll0]EDIT: Garan gets to make a Reflex save!
[roll1]EDIT: +3 is 13.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-04, 09:15 PM
Suddenly, the cieling above Garan collapses, and he barely dodges out of the way of the debris. When the dust clears, there are two young looking humans atop the pile of rotted wood. The fall does not appear to have harmed them, but one has a bandaged leg. They appear to be unarmed, but they are both wearing chain shirts.

Math_Mage
2010-03-04, 09:49 PM
"Man, if only answers would always fall into our laps like that, life would be easy," Eric mutters. He tries to speak up, but is overcome by a fit of sneezing. "Oy, you lot alright?" he calls out gruffly when he recovers. "What're ya doing holed up in a place like this? Outpost's only a few miles from here, as the gull flies." He pauses, thinking, then sighs. "So there's more as can't be moved, or need rescuing. You first, though."

Firebeard
2010-03-04, 10:03 PM
Garan had just entered the building when a noise from above caught his attention. Without pausing to assess the situation, he threw himself sideways and felt the force of a huge pile of debris falling from above inot the place where he had recently stood.

Picking himself up and dusting off, he noticed the two youths atop the rubble.

"Well, we would have come upstairs to you, but I suppose this was faster. Would either of you boys be Marcus, perchance?"

Noticing the bandaged leg, he followed up with "Perhaps, if you could tell us where the other 2 are, we could bring them here and tend your wounds before we return to town? "

VinGoodman
2010-03-04, 11:04 PM
Lorakain kneels beside the injured youth and starts inspecting the wound. "How did this happen?"

Calenestel
2010-03-05, 03:25 AM
"Um... I can honestly say I wasn't expecting THAT." The purple robed mage looks honestly surprised at the two young men who had so abruptly joined them. When all other's attention is on the couple, he himself withdraws slightly and starts casting a spell that makes him shimmer with light just fora couple of seconds. Obviously the pair have met some kind of resistance here or they wouldn't be injured. Better be prepared.

Afterwards he calmly joins Lorakain looking with a certain amount of pity and concern at the two men. "How are they?"

BruteSquad01
2010-03-05, 04:17 PM
The men sit up, both a bit dazed. The uninjured one looks up and is startled at the crowd around him. He quickly recovers, though, as he realizes you all are not hostile. Huh? Oh, umm… no, we were hiding. Orcs… there’s orcs here, I think… Marcus? No, he’s not here, I don’t know. We lost the others, got separated. Are you from Stonedock?

The injured boy sits up. As Lorakain approaches to look at his wound, he speaks softly: I think it’s broken, I, uh, fell off the roof a couple days ago. We’ve just stayed one night to see if it will heal, but then the orcs came, and we got separated, and I can’t really walk yet, so we couldn’t escape… I think we made a mistake, coming here… He attempts to get up, but sits again. Oh, that hurts! I think I made it worse, now. Fell through the floor. Special talent of mine, I guess, falling. Ow! I’ll just stay here a minute, hm?

Math_Mage
2010-03-05, 04:35 PM
"Fell off the--what were ya doin' up there, sunning?" Eric demanded irritably. "Orcs, though...well, we got in here fine." He looked over at Garan, spoke bluntly. "Trap? Or mebbe they ran off with Marcus and the other, and that'd be the last we'd hear of 'em." He frowned. "Only way to find out is to keep lookin', I s'pose."

Firebeard
2010-03-05, 04:42 PM
Garan squatted beside the boys and put on a calming smile. "That look slike it must hurt. I imagine this nice lady here can do something about it." He nodded to Lorakain. "Or at least heal it up enough to get you back to town where a healer can take a better look at it. Separated, you say? Where were you when you became separated? Did you see which direction the others went?" All the while, Garan kept a light tone in an attempt to set the obviously anxious boys at their ease.

VinGoodman
2010-03-06, 07:32 PM
Lorakain clasps the symbol with one hand, and utters a prayer to Lydia as she puts her other hand on the injured boy. A bluish-white light glows and passes from Lorakain to the boy.

OOC

dropped shield of faith to cast cure light wound
[roll0]

That's actually 10 (she's level 2, not 1)

BruteSquad01
2010-03-07, 03:06 PM
Both boys watch the spell casting in amazement, ignoring Eric’s blunt comments. The uninjured one finally perks up when Garan speaks. Huh? Oh, we were here in the town, looking through the buildings, and then the orcs just appeared out of nowhere, in between our two groups. Marcus and Jessim were looking in one place, and we were down the street, and they just came out from between some buildings, and we had to run. I don’t know where they would have gone. I tried searching for them yesterday, but not for very long. I’m Ed, by the way, and he’s Edmund. I’m also Edmund, really, but we use Ed to keep it separate.

Edmund looks up after Lorakain finishes the spell. Wow! I think that did it! It still hurts a lot, but… yeah, I can walk on it now, I think. Thank you, lady! Oh, wow, this is great! Now I can climb up to the roof again and get my stuff!

VinGoodman
2010-03-07, 03:25 PM
Lorakain quickly stops him. "Hold on. You should probably let someone else get it." She looks to Garan and Eric. "Could one of you see to his gears?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-07, 03:39 PM
"Oh, I'll get it," Eric said a tad irritably. "Which leaves the question of what you and your stuff were doin' on the roof...but never mind." His voice softened. First thing is, where d'you want to go? The outpost's just that way, and we could come along or not, but then Marcus and his pal would be all on their lonesome 'til we get back. Or, you could stay here and bet on Marcus getting back before the orcs do. Or, you could tag along with us and look for your mates. Might get to tradin' blows with uglies, but long as you stick close, 't won't be the death of you." Eric grinned wolfishly. "So what're you for?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-07, 03:43 PM
Climb check (if necessary): [roll0]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-07, 04:20 PM
It's probably best if we just go home. It's not like Marcus would need our help, anyway. We'd just slow you down, havin' to watch after us. We're not cut out for this sort of thing, I think.

Eric:
You easily climb to the roof of the inn. From up here, you have a pretty good view of much of the town, as this is the tallest building here, and it's slightly elevated, as well. If orcs were to attack the town, this would be the spot from which to watch for them. After a quick search, you find a backpack sitting on the roof, filled with various gear. Leaning on the bag is a well-crafted longsword in its scabbard.

Math_Mage
2010-03-07, 04:41 PM
"Daddy's money bought the adventuring gear, but not the adventurer. Yeesh." Eric gave the sword a few passes, admiring the balance, then strapped it to his waist along with the pack. He took a quick lookaround and headed back down.
Spot [roll0]
Climb [roll1]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-07, 04:48 PM
Eric finds it a bit more difficult to get down than getting up. Looking around, you notice a hole in the roof to the second floor; it might be easier to jump down there than risk a fall.

Calenestel
2010-03-07, 04:59 PM
The young mage nods as the two prospective adventurers declare their intent to return. All things considered it's probably for the best. But would they be able to make their way back? With some concern he studies the pair.

"Would you say that you are able to return now? Or would you need some help?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-07, 05:16 PM
Eric checks the other pack for breakable items, then tosses it down first. Travel light. He hops down, landing in a crouching roll.

Tumble [roll0] to reduce falling damage. Tossing the bag keeps me below any encumbrance restrictions.

EDIT: Not that it matters, but I forgot the +2 synergy bonus with Jump.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-07, 07:04 PM
I think we should be fine. It's only midday, and the lands around Stonedock are much safer than here, I would think.

You all hear a soft thump above you as Eric jumps down from the roof. The floor above creaks heavily, but holds steady, for now.

Math_Mage
2010-03-07, 07:42 PM
Eric grabs the pack and tromps off to find stairs, or the hole where the stairs were, whatever works.

Tumble [roll0] just in case

Firebeard
2010-03-07, 08:21 PM
"Ed, this is every important" Garan replied "so I want you to think back carefully. What happened to the orcs after you got split up? Did they leave on their own? Did you fight them off? Did someone else? "

Hearing Eric jumping down from above, he switched topics. "Perhaps it would be best if we escorted you to the edge of the ruins, before coming back to look for Marcus and ...what was the other boy's name again?"

BruteSquad01
2010-03-08, 03:11 PM
The orcs didn't see us, we just ran and hid in here, and they didn't chase us. I think they saw Marcus and Jessim, though. After we started running, we heard the orcs yelling, so I assumed that they saw them, but we were too scared to go back to help. Not that we could really do anything anyway.

Eric reappears, coming down some stairs on the opposite side of the room. They're mostly rotted, so he carefully picks his way down, skipping several steps. At the bottom step, his foot goes right through the wood and he is now calf deep in the floor.

VinGoodman
2010-03-08, 03:19 PM
Lorakain heads over and helps break off some more of the rotted wood around the calf, so that he does not get scratched when he retrieves his leg. Then she inspects the leg to make sure there aer no injuries worth worrying about.

Firebeard
2010-03-08, 03:21 PM
"Careful there!" Garan runs to Eric's side and braces the man as he carefully tries to extract his leg from the rotten wood. "Perhaps after we get these boys to safety, we should investigate the basement of this and other structures to see if there are any obvious connective tunnels?"

Turning back tot he boys, he continued "If you feel up to it, let's get you out of here so that we can continue the search for your friends. When you get back to the outpost, please tell Corporal Justis all that you have told us. He needs to know that the orcs are moving in areas on our side of the river. If you accomplished nothing else here, that alone is important information."

Garan flashed the boys a confident smile. It is an obvious attempt to instill some confidence int he young men and allow them to save some face when they return after this disastrous expedition. However, in their state the boys obviously needed a bolstering of resolve and it never hurts to allow others some measure of self-respect.

Math_Mage
2010-03-08, 04:19 PM
"Thanks," Eric muttered to Garan and Lorakain. He hoisted the pack, unstrapped the sword, and held them out to Ed--mund? Ah, whatever. "Fine lookabout you had up there, regular crow's nest. Guess it was a good place to be after all."

He went to the door, looked outside, called back. "Shall we be off, then? Day's not gettin' younger."

VinGoodman
2010-03-08, 04:31 PM
Lorakain nods in agreement, and proceeds to follow Eric out the building. "Let's see them out the ruins, and then continue our exploration before calling it a night. Speaking of which, what are your thoughts about staying here tonight?" However, she does not pause for a response. "Come, we can discuss this on the way."

Calenestel
2010-03-08, 05:12 PM
"Yes, well, good..."

Content that the two men would make it back all right the mage stands up again, brushing of his knees, when the sailor steps through the floorboard. After taking a couple of steps towards his not-quite-fallen comrade he stops, however. His other companions are there faster than he, and of better help no doubt. So instead he listens to Garan's suggestions, giving his full support.
"That sounds like a good plan indeed. I'll have Edgar follow them on their way. That way we'll know when they reach the outpost."

BruteSquad01
2010-03-08, 11:40 PM
Edmund accepts the pack and sword, but Ed insists on carrying the pack instead. You walk with them to the edge of the town. Edmund favors the injured leg only slightly, and does not complain at all. Yes, sir. We'll be sure to tell the corporal everything. Thanks for your help. I hope you find Marcus and Jessim alright. Good luck! The pair set off, and the ruined town returns to its peaceful silence.

Math_Mage
2010-03-09, 12:58 AM
Heaving a sigh, Eric looks around. "Well, what's next? Gamble that the kids--or the beasties--are hiding in a holy place?" He heads for the church door.

Calenestel
2010-03-09, 01:32 AM
Mythos has a quick word with his raven telling him to "follow them unseen and return the moment they reach safety or danger".

At Eric's suggestion he gives a shrug, trying to look like it doesn't matter to him. Even though his excitement is clearly shining through. "Might as well, it looks as good as any other."

Firebeard
2010-03-09, 07:02 AM
"Let's check in the church and surrounding area. If we don't find anything, we can go back to the inn and check out the cellar and then make a systematic search out from there. Keep your eyes open for anything at all. Even the most ordinary item can be out of place in a desolate ruin like this one."

With that, Gran begins looking around the area for tracks, dropped items, scuff marks that might indicate a large group. Anything, in short, that might tell him something of what has been going on in the ruined town in recent days.

More rolls, jic.

spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]
search: [roll2]

...and apparently I can hear the wings of a butterfly 3 leagues away. :smallcool:

BruteSquad01
2010-03-09, 05:00 PM
When you attempt to enter the church, the front doors seem to be barred from the inside. The windows on each side of the building are high up, about 10 feet or so, but the sides of the building are too smooth to climb without some sort of aid.

Garan:
You don't find anything in the area around the church, but you begin to hear what sounds like a busy market square. The sound is nearly imperceptible at first, but as you concentrate, it becomes clearer, until it seems that you are in the middle of a bazaar thronging with people going about their business. The sound gets louder, almost deafening, but then it is silent again. Looking around at your companions, they display no indication that they heard anything at all.

Math_Mage
2010-03-09, 05:26 PM
"Barred doors in an empty town? Let's see if we can't take a look inside," Eric growled. He ran at the wall, jumping into it and kicking off to try to get a hold on the windowsill.

Jump: [roll0]...with 8-ft vertical reach, that should more than cover it.
And, uh, Strength check? [roll1] to pull himself up, or at least to a position where he can see through the windows.

Firebeard
2010-03-09, 05:55 PM
"Ineresting." said Garan. "Can any of you hear that? It sounds like a busy marketplace, but faint. As if from another time or place..."

Garan concentrated some more, trying to pinpoint the sounds and the feelings (memories?) they invoked.

VinGoodman
2010-03-09, 09:29 PM
Lorakain, unsure what Garan is talking about, nonetheless strains to listen for anything unusual.

OOC

listen [roll0]

Math_Mage
2010-03-09, 09:43 PM
Though hopefully already hanging from the edge of the window, Eric hoists his ears to catch the wind.
Listen: [roll0]

"I think I hear...Achoo!...my nose rumbling," he concludes, resuming his efforts to pull himself up and look inside.

Calenestel
2010-03-10, 12:19 AM
"Hum... What? A market place? No.... I can't hear anything of the sort." Mythos turns around, both listening and looking for the bazaar Garan had talked about. But to no avail, of course.
With a shrug he turns back to the temple and Eric, dangling from the window ledge. "Anything of interest in there?"

Just in case a listen or spot check will reveal anything else:

[roll0]

[roll1]

(And since Edgar is away I lose my Alertness feat, oh well. :smalltongue:)

BruteSquad01
2010-03-10, 01:56 AM
None of you hear anything unusual.

Eric:
You are able to hoist yourself into the window and look inside. Like the inn, the church is devoid of any furnishings. There is a door in the floor in one corner, and an entrance to what must be an extra room in the back of the building. The front door is indeed barred securely, but the fortification seems odd to you; the inn seems like a more defensible position.

Garan:
You can no longer hear the sound, except in your memory. Recalling the sound puts in your mind the idea of a pleasant summer day in a small town.

Math_Mage
2010-03-10, 02:24 AM
"The church is empty, that I c'n see, but there's another room in back," Eric calls from his position by the window. "It's a little weird...this doesn't look as safe as the inn, for all the front door's barred. Wanna take a look-see through the building?"

If there is assent, Eric breaks the window with his chain, clears the glass off the windowsill, then helps people up and in.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-10, 02:53 AM
Forgot to mention: There is no glass on any of the windows in the town, it's long since been broken or carried off.

Math_Mage
2010-03-10, 02:55 AM
No, you mentioned it. That's my bad, though a trivial one.

Calenestel
2010-03-10, 03:50 AM
"Certainly. Let's go!"

Considering his rather hefty backpack for a moment, the mage quickly realizes his own limitations he quickly pulls it off. Better to carry it or throw it in or...

"Would it... help with a rope, maybe?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-10, 04:35 AM
"Ah, don't bother with that. Just grab my hand." Holding on to the building for leverage, Eric hoists Calanestel up to the ledge.

VinGoodman
2010-03-10, 06:06 AM
Lorakain passes her backpack up first, and then waits for Eric to help her up.

Calenestel
2010-03-10, 07:08 AM
With just a quick nod of accord Mythos lets his comrade hoist him up to the windowsill. The man is strong, no doubt about that. Hearing Lorakain following him up he quickly drops of into the inside of the temple, clutching his backpack to his chest but prepared to lose it should he need to.

Should I roll something for that? A dex check? Balance? I don't think I have any tumble, but then I'm not trying that...

Firebeard
2010-03-10, 07:47 AM
Garan listens to the sounds as they fade into the distance. When the last sound trails off, he turns to see his companions ascending into the church through the high window. Once all but himself and Miles are inside, he crouches and springs upwards, grabbing the man's hand and allowing himself to be hauled upwards.

Once on the window ledge, he carefully drops down and begins looking about the interior of of the church. He and his companions didn't exactly go to any great effort to be quiet during their entrance, but noow he treads cautiously, heading for the door into the back and attempting to see if there was any evidence of the boys or the orcs that attacked.

Math_Mage
2010-03-10, 08:31 AM
After everyone's in, Eric grabs the windowsill and lowers himself until he can easily drop to the ground. He takes off for the back room almost immediately.

VinGoodman
2010-03-10, 08:47 AM
Lorakain, seeing Eric moving with a sense of purpose, passes up the exploration for the moment and falls into step behind Eric.

Calenestel
2010-03-10, 10:08 AM
Even when he's still strapping his backpack back into place he acompanies Lorakain when she follows in the footsteps of Eric. Gripping his quarterstaff firmly but with an eager gleam in his eyes he seems almost on the verge of taking the lead himself. But no... he isn't quite as foolhardy as that.

"Maybe now the fun part begins, eh? Imagine, the path to forgotten treasure, hidden mysteries and who knows what adventures... The chance to do some good!"

The smile he gives the cleric is eager and honest, and almost a little reckless. It would seem obvious that he believes firmly in the life of the adventurer.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-10, 02:24 PM
The floor of the church is much higher than the ground; only about 4 feet lower than the window.

Garan:

You notice that the fixtures for barring the door, and the wooden bar itself, show little sign of age. The wood is not rotted, and seems to have been recently cut.

Firebeard
2010-03-10, 02:33 PM
"Hold!" Garan says in a low voice, gesturing with a closed fist. He points to the door and says "Look at those fixtures. They are new, and so is the wood...well, relatively new anyways. Let's be careful here."

That said, he looks into the room beyond.

This is for the back room

BruteSquad01
2010-03-10, 11:24 PM
The back room is very small. There is barely room for the two bunk beds shoved against the wall, and a small shelf next to it. The beds are clearly not part of the original layout; they seem to have been recently made. The bedding is musty and smelly, but probably has been used as recently as a week ago. There are some pegs on the wall for hanging items, but there are no belongings in the room, as far as you can tell, but its hard to search with even two people in the room.

Math_Mage
2010-03-11, 12:48 AM
"Came...and went?" Eric mused, checking under the beds just in case. "Well, that tears it."

Search under the beds, FWIW:
[roll0]

Calenestel
2010-03-11, 01:17 AM
"Huh... That's curious... And there's nothing there to indicate who, or what, has been living here?"

There's really not much room in the back room for him to accompany Eric and Garan, so instead the young mage strolls over to the trap door, kneels down and inspects it. After an initial occular examination he bends over and puts his ear to the door, listening for any sounds from down below.

[roll0]
[roll1]

VinGoodman
2010-03-11, 04:32 AM
Lorakain looks about at the flurry of activity. With little room in the back, she is content to stay with Mythos and continue looking about.

Firebeard
2010-03-11, 07:35 AM
"Hmm..." said Garan. "it looks as if we may have been too late to meet those that were staying here. Although with the doors barred it is possible that they are still about." He takes a minute to help eric search the room and then returns to the main room to find Mythos with his ear pressed to the trapdoor.

"Hear anything?"

spot: [roll2]

Calenestel
2010-03-11, 07:43 AM
"Not a thing." Brushing dust from his knees the young mage stands up again. "But logicaly whoever barred the doors must have gone this way. We follow them?"

VinGoodman
2010-03-11, 09:27 AM
Lorakain

"I would suggest we follow. This all looks like signs of people trying to keep other people away, and Jessim and Marcus would certainly fit that profile. Seeing as how there seems to be no other logical way out, I say let's proceed and see if we find more signs of them."

Calenestel
2010-03-11, 09:35 AM
"Oh, there's other logical ways out." With an almost cheeky grin Mythos points to the very same window they had all entered through. "It is, however, illogical that they should have barred the door and climbed out through the window when they left nothing of value in the temple. Thus the trap door is the MOST logical."

Math_Mage
2010-03-11, 08:51 PM
"Silence, impudent whelp!" Eric mock growled as he grasped the trapdoor, preparing to open it. "We should make you go first for that one."

Calenestel
2010-03-12, 02:20 AM
At first he seem a little surprised by Eric's outburst. Then he grasps the joke and grins even broader. With friendly sarcasm he rolls his eyes at the man. "Oh, yes... Send the mage first! Spoken like a true tactical genius."

Math_Mage
2010-03-12, 03:09 AM
"Aye, the mage, for at sea the mages could carry their weight. Ever heard of Dunbar Mastersmate? Barrel-chested, strong enough to break your bones like toothpicks, but the man's renowned for his casting." Eric shook his head, pretending sadness. "They just don't make mages like they used to..."

After looking to Garan (who had been listening at the trapdoor) to make sure all was clear, Eric gave a heave and opened the door.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-12, 03:46 AM
You hear nothing from below the door. Eric lifts it easily, revealing the space below. You sense the cool, moist air from below. There's easily room to stand, but you don't see any means of getting back up. It is completely dark in the cellar space. Only the area directly below the door is revealed.

Garan:

Searching the back room a bit more, you find a small bag among the bedding, containing about 30 gp.

Firebeard
2010-03-12, 08:07 AM
Garan pocketed the gold in silence, after first waving it in Miles' direction to get the man's attention. It would do no good to share it about now, but he didn't want anyone getting the impression that he was trying to hide his acquisition. It might lead to questions later that he would rather avoid.

Once he ascertained that nothing of immediate danger awaited them below, he gave the "all clear" to Miles to lead the way. There appeared to be no means to ascend to the top again, but they had rope and they would figure it out when the time came.

As soon as Miles had dropped down, Garan gently lowered himself into the trapdoor. Once on the ground, he pulls a lantern from his pack, puts some oil in it (about enough for an hour's burn) and strikes a light. The hood on the lantern he opens wide, to better illuminate the area they just dropped in to.

the big 3...

spot: 1d20+8
listen: 1d20+3
search: 1d20+9

Firebeard
2010-03-12, 09:42 AM
Doh!

the big 3...

VinGoodman
2010-03-13, 03:54 PM
While waiting for Eric, Lorakain smiled at Mythos and whispers to him, "don't mind Eric. I thought it rather clever."

Once the party begins moving again, Lorakain hands her backpack down and climbs down after it. Putting the backpack back on and adjusting it, she remembers once again why exploratory travels can be such a pain.

Calenestel
2010-03-14, 05:31 AM
"Oh... No, no, my friend. He's not a bother. He's actually quite likeable under that rough exteriour. You should meet my uncle Regwald. A direct foul one, when the mood strikes him I say." Still, the young mage seem grateful for the concern and friendship offered by the woman and he gives her a genuinly warm and friendly grin while offering his hand to help her down. After that he passes down his own backpack before entering last.
At the bottom he quickly recites a few words in a strong, confident words before snapping his fingers, evoking a light that envelops the top of his staff shedding light enough to navigate by and then some.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 01:07 PM
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
At the bottom he quickly recites a few words in a strong, confident words before snapping his fingers, evoking a light that envelops the top of his staff shedding light enough to navigate by and then some.

Shirak? :smallbiggrin:

BruteSquad01
2010-03-14, 01:29 PM
The space below the church is floored in loose gravel, so stealth her would be nearly impossible. The floor above is supported by several stone pillars, and the walls are stone as well. The air here is not as stuffy as you would expect, suggesting that there must be another entrance to this place. Sure enough, on the southern corner, there is a short stairway leading down to a wooden door. The gravel floor makes it nearly impossible to detect any sign of recent activity, and it’s hard to hear with everyone crunching about.

On the north wall, you notice several large crates are lined and stacked two or three high. Each crate is about two feet wide and tall, and six feet long. On the northeast side, there are several other crates of varying dimensions, in a less orderly arrangement. On one of the crates rests a crowbar and hammer, along with a box of nails, none of which appear to be rusted. The crates, as well, are in good repair, but dusty. They definitely have been stored here within the past few years.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 02:06 PM
Eric brushes past the crates and makes for the stairs. He'll wait at the top for the others--no sense leaving the light behind, after all.

Firebeard
2010-03-14, 02:09 PM
"Eric, wait! Come here for a moment and help me find out what is in these crates. The knowledge may be useful before we head out." Garan took up a position next to one of the crates and, with Eric's help, levered up the lid enough to look inside.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-14, 02:19 PM
OOC: Which crates are you opening?

VinGoodman
2010-03-14, 03:34 PM
OOC, DM

2x3x6...are these coffins? Lorakain will use knowledge:religion to see if these are "familiar" to her.

[roll0]

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 03:40 PM
"Are you sure you want to do that, Garan?" Eric asked. "We're under a church."

If you will believe it, this is the reason I initially had Eric ignore the crates--not because he knows they are coffins, but because he thinks it's possible.

Calenestel
2010-03-14, 03:47 PM
"Well... We could always try the ones that doesn't seem to contain the remains of the deceased, can't we?"
With a wry smile, only partially disturbed by the proximity of so many possible corpses, of so many possible undead, the young mage points towards the stack of boxes that is neither orderly nor all of the same dimensions.

Firebeard
2010-03-14, 03:50 PM
OOC

Let's start with the one the crowbar was laying on topof, and then try one of the 2x2x6 ones

Firebeard
2010-03-14, 03:52 PM
"A church that has been abandoned for years. No, these crates are much more recent and not laid out like any sort of crypt I have ever heard of. Besides, do you smell any signs of putrefaction?"

Garan admits to himself that he could be mistaken, but all signs so far point to emergency stores or weapons, rather than bodies.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-14, 04:53 PM
Garan moves the tools and pries open the crate. Inside, there are several sets of studded leather armor stacked neatly.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 05:31 PM
"Well, I've learned never to trust my nose to smell anything," Eric said lightly. "Guess I'll trust yours from now on." He bows with a flourish.

"As for this armor, best leave it until we come back up, I think. Shall we try another?" He moves to another crate on the northeast side, gestures for the crowbar.

Firebeard
2010-03-14, 05:31 PM
"Ah ha! As I expected. Come, let's have the others opened before we go any farther." Garan smiles at Miles' remarks and accepts the praise with a slight nod of his head. With swift movements, Garan helps Eric open the other crates.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-14, 06:20 PM
The larger crates on the northeast side all contain various types of armor, ranging from studded leather to breastplates and banded mail. There are also crates filled with well-preserved rations, that are surprisingly still good to eat, if a bit stale. Various other supplies like rope, tarp, tent stakes, and some climbing equipment can be found as well. In the long crates on the north wall, you find various weapons. Long swords, battle axes, spears, bows and crossbows, and heavy maces are among the items. In short, there are enough supplies here for a force of perhaps thirty, and if necessary, they could last here in this building for weeks before going hungry. There are no markings on any of the crates, but they are all lined with waterproofing material, so it's likely that they spent time on a ship at some point.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 06:33 PM
"This town is just getting weirder and weirder," Eric commented, shaking his head. "It's ancient, but not in shambles. There's new gear here, but it's just been left behind. The position is defensible, but not defended. I don't get it." He goes to the north wall, picks a crate.

Calenestel
2010-03-15, 01:13 AM
"By my Lady! This is a mystery and a half, isn't it?" Going through the contents of the crates along with the others and studying the contents he smiles happily, if bewildered. He likes mysteries, riddles and puzzles, and solving them even more.

"Well, we won't starve while we solve it, will we?"

When going through the contents of the contents, Mythos will look for daggers and take a couple if he finds any.

Firebeard
2010-03-17, 03:47 PM
Garan

Looking in the boxes, Garan makes the decision to outfit himself a little better for exploring in an unknown underground area. He takes some of the climbing gear and adds it to his pack. "If you see something you forgot, or think we might need, take it. We can always return it when we get back."

He grabs a length of rope and a grappling hook and adds both to his pack.

That said, he headed over to the door leading from the room. Signaling to Miles, he said "Perhaps we should be cautious as we proceed." As soon as the others appear ready, he tests the door to see if it opens.

Look around the door to see if there is any traps or obvious signs of recent travel.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-18, 02:22 AM
Mythos:
You find several daggers. So many daggers, to carry them all would be mildly inconvenient.

Garan:
You find nothing suspicious around the door.

The door opens with no trouble. Inside, you see a small tunnel, barely taller than you all, and just wide enough to stand in. The walls are roughly hewed from the stone, and the floor, while much smoother, seems hazardous in the complete darkness that fills the tunnel. You can only see about 20 or 30 feet down the tunnel, and after that there's no way to tell how far it continues. The air is not completely still; a cool, damp breeze brushes your face ever so slightly.

Garan and Lorakain:

WIS checks
1. Eric [roll0]
2. Mythos [roll1]
3. Garan [roll2]
4. Lorakain [roll3]

You have the presence of mind to look back up through the trapdoor. Daylight is fading; you estimate there is probably an hour or so before nightfall.

Math_Mage
2010-03-18, 04:06 AM
Eric

"One floor down, more to come," Eric said. He started down the wooden steps to where the door stood open. He imagined the stair creaking, as if pitched about by wind and wave. No, this still wasn't the sea. He sighed and continued. Any such imaginings were dispelled by the sound of foot on stone.

Calenestel
2010-03-18, 04:29 AM
Bringin along five daggers from the hoard the purple robed mage nods in agreement with Eric's cheerful encouragement and moves towards the door. "Onwards, then my friends, only one way to go!"

Math_Mage
2010-03-18, 04:33 AM
Eric

Glancing over at the impressive array daggers Mythos is stashing, Eric chuckles. "One for each sleeve, one for each boot, and one in the folds of your impressive robes. Are you sure that's enough?"

Calenestel
2010-03-18, 05:45 AM
With a cheerful grin the mage seem to ponder the question for a second before shaking his head. "Of course not. But it'll do for now. I'll just have to pick up some more on our way back."

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 06:45 AM
Garan

"There is maybe only an hour or so before nightfall. Do we wish to continue this exploration into the night? Or shall we make camp here and set out in the morning?" I for one, am perfectly fine with either decision, but if we hope to find the boys as soon as possible..."

Garan looked around at the others for their opinions. It was not uncommon to work far past the setting of the sun for many people, and if they were to be traversing tunnels deep below ground, the passage of the sun had little meaning at all.

VinGoodman
2010-03-18, 09:01 AM
Lorakain

"Do we have enough light source for the night? I feel fairly rested, despite the long day. I would be open to continuing into the night if others are up for it."

OOC

Are there torches, lantern and oil, or sunrods stashed away here? Also, could Lorakain make out which deity this temple is dedicated to?

Know: religion [roll0]
"bardic" knowledge (as cloistered cleric): [roll1]

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 09:06 AM
Garan said "My lantern here is good for the night, though if we are in need of light for more than 24 hours, we will need an alternate source of light. I have 4 more pints of oil to fuel it, as necessary"

Math_Mage
2010-03-18, 03:39 PM
Eric

"I can carry us another six with a pint and this," Eric said, hoisting a hooded lantern. "On t'other hand, we'd be trapped down here like rats if the orcs come back during the night." He seems entirely unconcerned by the possibility.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-18, 03:55 PM
Lorakain:
There are plenty of torches, and some lanterns, but only two flasks of oil.

The building has been stripped of all furnishings, and there is very little decoration as part of the building. It does not seem to follow a particular faith's style. It is likely to have been dedicated to a local deity that died out with the village, or it could have been a "general purpose" temple, where several related deities were worshipped.

VinGoodman
2010-03-18, 04:08 PM
Lorakain rummages through the place, and uncovers 2 flasks of oil and some torches and lanterns. She grabs 2 torches and the 2 flasks of oil and tucks them into her backpack. "Just in case."

Firebeard
2010-03-18, 04:11 PM
"If we're all agreed to moving on, I suggest EriC take the lead. I'll follow and look for any signs of fallins or possible traps."

Math_Mage
2010-03-18, 04:20 PM
Eric

"Sounds like a plan." Eric shrugs his backpack into a more comfortable position and sets off down the stone tunnel.

Calenestel
2010-03-19, 12:35 AM
"Very well. Then I follow, and mistress Lorakain would you take up the rear?" With an almost impatient, but still smiling, look on his face he shoulders his backpack, takes up his staff again and move towards the doorway.

VinGoodman
2010-03-19, 08:43 AM
Just as eager to be on the way, Lorakain smiles in return and follows the group down the tunnel.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-19, 07:32 PM
The tunnel continues for about 40 or 50 feet, and then splits to the right. If you continue straight ahead, you can see another split to the left another 20 feet down. You estimate that this spot is directly under the inn, but there is no way to access the building from here, as far as you can tell.

Math_Mage
2010-03-19, 10:35 PM
Eric

"Stick to the right, keep to the left, or forge down the middle?" Eric wondered aloud. "Eh, one choice is as good as another." He turns right.

VinGoodman
2010-03-19, 10:44 PM
Lorakain voices her agreement. "Unless someone sees a sign and speaks up, I don't think there's a need to dwell overly much on the choice of direction here."

Calenestel
2010-03-20, 02:53 AM
While the others deliberate Mythos takes a piece of chalk from one of his pouches and makes a big arrow pointing back the way they came at the corner. "As long as we have a clear way back, that is."

Firebeard
2010-03-20, 07:28 AM
Garan considered for a moment, looking for any signs of disturbance in the ground that might give them direction.

spot: [roll1]
listen: [roll2]

If he fails to find anything he will say "Let's keep to the right. It will make backtracking easier, and as long as these tunnels don't have too many loops, will make it easier to thotoughly explore everywhere."

BruteSquad01
2010-03-21, 03:59 PM
You continue along the tunnel to the right for about 50 feet before you notice a definite downhill trend. The air becomes damper, and trails of moisture drip down the walls. As you continue, you begin to smell the stench of death. After another 50 feet or so, the tunnel ends at another room. The tunnel floor is about a foot above the room's, and Eric nearly falls as he enters. There is a small splash as his foot lands in a puddle of water.

The walls and floor here are of the same construction as the tunnel. There are small puddles scattered about, and you hear a rhythmic dripping of water from the ceiling. You must be very close to the river at this point, if not under it.

In the far corner, there is a pile of corpses, perhaps eight bodies. Presumably, this is the source of the rank smell.

Firebeard
2010-03-21, 05:42 PM
Garan takes a quick look around the room they just enetered. Spying the bodies, he becomes intrigued. "Now I wonder what these are doing sown here." he said, only half to himself. Sidling closer to the bodies, he nevertheless keeps an eye out for anything unusual.

Specifically, Garan is looking for anything unusual, the race(s) of the bodies, any other entrances to this room, the state of the corpses (piled from combat, laid out neatly, etc.) and maintaining vigilance in case something his hiding amongst the bodies.

Opening the hood wide on his lantern, Garan gazes intently at the pile of bodies and offering a questioning glance at the others.

Math_Mage
2010-03-21, 06:21 PM
Eric

"Well, that ain't a good sign," Eric comments. He squats down by the pile of corpses and tries to determine how long they've been here.

Uh, is that a Search check? [roll0]

EDIT: Well, I guess it doesn't matter what kind of check it would have been.

VinGoodman
2010-03-21, 06:39 PM
Lorakain steps up, and ignores the stench that greeted her as she tends to priestly duties. She says a quick prayer for the departed souls, and studies the bodies to see if there are any signs on how they died, how they came to be here, and other oddities worth noting.

OOC

know: religion1d20+5
heal1d20+5
search1d20

VinGoodman
2010-03-21, 06:41 PM
OOC

Let's try again:

know: religion [roll0]
heal [roll1]
search [roll2]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-21, 06:47 PM
The bodies are dumped unceremoniously in the corner of the room. The two on top of the pile are both humans. They both are maggot-ridden, so you estimate they have been here a few days, at the very least. All of them appear to have been stripped of all useful material like armor and clothing, so it's impossible to determine where they came from. You can't tell what the other bodies here are, except for a hand sticking out that appears to be orcish. You can't tell anything else without moving the corpses.

Garan:

Listening intently, you discern a low rumbling noise. You wonder about its origin for a moment before realizing that it must be the river nearby.

Math_Mage
2010-03-22, 12:17 AM
Eric

"Bah! A dumping ground, is all this is. Humans and orcs together--no respect for the dead." Eric shook his head grimly. Then he paused, struck by a thought. "Orcs and humans jus' piled at random...but them crates up above were neat an' orderly. And we're halfway under the river already. Y'don't suppose...Nah. Why would these tunnels lead to the other side o' the river?" Eric put the thought out of his mind. It didn't really matter what was down here, long as Marcus and...and...and that other kid were too. Or they're somewhere else, and this be a fool's errand, his treacherous brain reminded him. Shut up, brain.

OOC
But if it does turn out that this is hobgoblin work, I just want it on record that I. Totally. Called. It. :smallbiggrin:

Calenestel
2010-03-22, 12:54 AM
Three persons examining the same pile of corpses are plenty and Mythos decides to give the room a thorough check instead. Looking for hidden doors, secret compartments, traps etc. If "Miles" is right there should be another door here somewhere.

[roll0]
And as long as that doesn't show me something interesting (Edit: Which it shouldn't.) I'll continue with taking 20. Assuming the other characters won't interefer, of course.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-22, 01:59 AM
Lorakain:
The men on top of the pile were killed violently. There are several bruises and wounds, and one has a broken arrow shaft still lodged in the torso.

Mythos:
After a thorough search, you are quite certain there is nothing else of interest in this room.

Eric:
Noted.

Firebeard
2010-03-22, 06:03 AM
Garan inspects the human bodies carefully, trying to ascertain their age and general build. Are these the two boys that went missing?

Not sure what kind of check you'd want here, so I'll just roll the d20 and let you look on my sheet for any modifiers appropo to the situation. [roll[1d20[/roll]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-24, 02:58 PM
Garan:
It's not possible to tell for sure, but you think it is unlikely that these are the missing boys. Both bodies are battle-scarred from previous engagements. They appear to be older, so your best guess is that they were Imperial soldiers, at least at some point.

When Garan is done searching, "Miles" starts moving the other bodies. In all, there are eight corpses here. One is an orc, and one is a dwarf. The rest are all human (probably), but the ones at the bottom of the pile are much more decayed than at the top, suggesting they all died at different times, and piled here for some unknown reason.

The movement of the bodies stirs up the stench of decay even stronger.

Fortitude saves:
1. "Miles" [roll0] no bonus, he is moving the bodies
2. Garan [roll1] +2 bonus for distance
3. Lorakain [roll2] +2 bonus for distance
4. Mythos [roll3] +2 bonus for distance

DC is 12. "Miles" and Lorakain are sickened for 10 minutes, you probably vomit, and take -1 to all checks for 10 minutes.

Firebeard
2010-03-24, 03:10 PM
Garan backed away, gagging from the stench, but keeping his stomach contents inside. In a rough voice he says "Ugh...well, those two on top don't appear to be our boys. They're too...*cough*...old and scarred." He backed away further to get away from the stench coming from the pile.

Math_Mage
2010-03-24, 03:14 PM
Eric

"Oh, that was a bad idea," Eric groaned, dropping the last body to clutch his belly. He retched, turned, stumbled for the door. "So much for the iron stomachs of sailors," he grumbled, wiping his mouth. "Let's make tracks."

Calenestel
2010-03-24, 04:15 PM
Feeling a little quesy himself the mage eyes his comrades with obvious concern, even moving towards Lorakain, since that woudn't take him near the corpses. "Oh, that's nasty. Are you lot all right?"

VinGoodman
2010-03-24, 07:58 PM
The stench finally became too much, and Lorakain find herself hurrying away from the bodies before doubling over and retching violently. "They're too ol...." Her words were interrupted as more food found its way out of her and to the floor. The retching continues, until there is naught but dry heaves. "We should get going from here. Please!"

BruteSquad01
2010-03-25, 12:08 PM
Everyone leaves the room, and after a few minutes, you are able to breathe easily again.

Firebeard
2010-03-25, 12:21 PM
As the group heads back to the main artery, and their stomachs settle away from the nauseating stench, Garan points down the hallway to the intersection branching to the left. "Shall we take the side passage? Or continue on ahead?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-25, 01:56 PM
Eric

"Well, the last branch weren't exactly a ragin' success, but we did learn some things," Eric said reluctantly. "With our luck, though, the next one'll be the head," he muttered under his breath.

Calenestel
2010-03-25, 02:09 PM
Looking with a certain amount of concern and, well, pity to "Miles" and Lorakain Mythos shakes his head slowly. "We really should be thorough in things like this. I say we look to the left before going straight."

BruteSquad01
2010-03-26, 11:48 AM
The tunnel seems to continue forever. You've gone at least 100 feet, and there seems to be no end in sight. Finally, your path comes to a T-intersection. You can go right or left.

Eric:

Listen checks:
Lorakain [roll0]
Garan [roll1]
Mythos [roll2]
Eric [roll3]

You think you hear guttural voices from the tunnel to the left.

Firebeard
2010-03-26, 12:44 PM
Garan placed a hand on Miles' shoulder. "Ware the left. There are voices that way. Perhaps it would be best to dim the light." Garan Closes the hood on his lantern, until it is almost shut. The light seeping forth is enough to keep them from bumping into each other, but not strong enough to blatantly give away their presence to the casual observer.

VinGoodman
2010-03-26, 01:57 PM
As the light dims, Lorakain finds herself straining to make out the details of the surroundings. As she wipes a bit of sweat off her forehead, she whispers to the party, "I hope you're having an easier time seeing things."

Firebeard
2010-03-26, 02:03 PM
@GM

Is there any light in the direction of where the voices are coming from? can the language/words be discerned?

some checks in case:

Calenestel
2010-03-26, 03:33 PM
"I doubt that very much, comrade. This place is darker than Shar's nethers..." It's hard to see in the dark, of course. But there's a clear hint of a smile in Mythos voice. Except for when he continues. "Fret not... I have just the incantation ready for extra light should we need it."

Math_Mage
2010-03-26, 05:30 PM
Eric

"Aye, I hear 'em," Eric muttered back. "Question is, do we want to go take a look? P'raps we can find out something about this place. Or we can try t'other way, mebbe learn somethin' without goin' to the trouble of bangin' heads together t'get it."

Too bad the IC language options for Eric are only Elven and Dwarven. Else I'd ask about those voices.

Calenestel
2010-03-26, 05:33 PM
"Do you think we could, technically be on the other side of the river by now? Then we'd be intruders. The boys might be that way though..." His face in shadows it's hard to see what the young mage feels about the situation. The smile is gone from his voice, though.

Math_Mage
2010-03-26, 05:49 PM
Eric

'S our only lead. And if the hobbos have a way across the river, Stoneport's gonna want to know that, too." Eric thought a moment. "Anyone quiet enough to get a closer look at these guys? I'm not exactly loud, but..." he gestured at his clinking chain. "I rattle."

OOC
Highest Hide/Move Silently checks? Eric's are +2, accounting for ACP.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-26, 06:49 PM
OOC: Garan has the best Hide/Move Silently, +6/+3, then Lorakain at +3/+3.

VinGoodman
2010-03-26, 07:01 PM
Sadly, it's 1/1, because of the armor

Firebeard
2010-03-26, 08:46 PM
"I'll go check it out." Garan hands Miles the lantern to hold. With his Elven eyesight and skills at intrusion and stwalth, he is the obvious choice for scouting in this case.

Moving quietly up the passage, he takes his time and is careful where he puts his feet. His Elven eyes dilate wie to soak up all available light.

move silently: [roll0]
hide: [roll1]

plus any modifiers for teh darkness, river sound, etc.

Calenestel
2010-03-27, 01:16 AM
"And while he goes we other should stay a little while back down and wait in ambuscade, should we not? In case things go... in an unwanted direction."
Settling his staff against the wall the young mage takes his crossbow from his back and as quietly as he can he loads it.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-27, 07:06 AM
Garan:

You creep quietly up the tunnel. After about 30 feet, you come to a shabby-looking door, through which is the source of the voices. Through one of the many holes in the door, you can see two orcs talking in their own disgusting tongue. At least one other voice addresses them from elsewhere in the room. One of the orcs appears to be eating something. They appear to be at ease, You hear them laughing more than once, and you see their weapons are set aside. After a moment, you hear a distinctly human groan, and then a rattling of chain. One of the orcs, out of your sight, barks an order, and the human cries sharply in pain. The others laugh in response, and continue their conversation.

Firebeard
2010-03-27, 07:25 AM
@GM

Crud, I forgot to pick languages. Ah well. Does Garan's skill set allow him to understand any of what the orcs are saying?

Listening to the orcs, and then hearing the prisoner - for that is what he had to be - groan and cry out in pain, Garan cringed inside. This was a bigger job than just for him alone. As quietly, but as quickly, as he could, he moved back down the corridor to tell the others what he had learned.

"There is a group of at least 3 orcs in a room about 30 feet down the hallway" he whispered. "They have a human prisoner chained up and apparently he is hurt pretty bad. Every time he groans, he gets kicked, so I don't imagine he is in a good way. On a bright note, if we can be quick about the entry, I saw their weapons laying to the side, and not within easy reach. That might make our jobs a little easier. I didn't check to see if the door was locked - I probably should have, but didn't want to alert the orcs - but I can probably get it open even if it is. The place looks in pretty poor repair."

VinGoodman
2010-03-27, 10:10 AM
"Perhaps we should rush in before they're alerted to us, and take that element of surprise while we have it. Thoughts?" Her voice trembles slightly at the words whispered, and her grip tightens on the longspear.

Calenestel
2010-03-27, 12:16 PM
"Sounds like an excellent plan, Lorakain. Strike first and strike hard. 'Hit'im so tha' he cannae hit ye back!' like I heard King Bruenor say once or twice before I traveled here." There is a tightness to the young mage's voice in the darkness and a surpressed anger that seem quite at odds with his usually sunny disposition. Anger that makes him grit his teeth and grip the crossbow more firmly. He has little love for orcs.
It makes the way he seem to mimic a dwarven accent in his quote all the more fitting, however.
"Let's get'em."

Math_Mage
2010-03-27, 01:52 PM
Eric

"If the lock's solid, I'll just break down the door," Eric notes. He grabs his chain. "Let's get dangerous."

BruteSquad01
2010-03-27, 05:24 PM
Garan:

Crud, I forgot to pick languages. Ah well. Does Garan's skill set allow him to understand any of what the orcs are saying?

INT check: [roll0]
You have no idea what the conversation was about.

Firebeard
2010-03-27, 05:45 PM
Garan leads the party back to the door. Motioning for the rest to stay out of sight of the holes in the door, he stealthily tried the door to see if it was locked.

Search: [roll0]

If locked...

Garan reached into his belt pouch for his lock picks. As quietly as possible he worked them into the lock and teased the tumblers into a configuration that would open the lock.

pick lock: [roll1]

Garan motioned to Miles to go through the door first, and indicated that he would follow immediately after. He gave the signal...

BruteSquad01
2010-03-27, 07:28 PM
Move Silently:
Lorakain: [roll0]
Garan: [roll1]
Mythos: [roll2]
Eric: [roll3]

Listen:
Orcs: [roll4]

You all approach the door, and the orcs are oblivious to your presence; they are too involved in their riotous banter to pay attention. The door is unlocked. You burst into the room, weapons ready, and the orcs are completely dumbfounded at your presence. The room is L-shaped, and behind the doorway there are more orcs, so there are five in total in this room. You notice two humans bound in chains in the far corner, they seem to be unconcious. The orcs take several seconds to even think to grab their weapons, giving you ample time to make the first strikes.

OOC: I will post a map when I get home from work tonight. Basically, there are two orcs right near the door, and three more on the other side of the room. You can post your surprise round actions now.

Calenestel
2010-03-28, 12:44 AM
At the door the young mage hangs back only to prop his staff against the corner near the door itself. And when the door is thrown open he has already lifted the weapon, taking aim as soon as he has a clean line of sight. With a wordless yell he let loose only to quickly drop the crossbow and start reaching for the quarterstaff.

Mythos will fire of one round with his crossbow and move to spellcasting after that. The crossbow is, however, hanging by a strap and won't fall to ground.
I'll include critical confirmation rolls on the off chance that the first roll is a 19 or 20.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Oh, never mind. :smallfrown:

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 01:02 AM
Lorakain's blue eyes surveys the scene quickly as she barges in. Three, four, five orcs. This won't be easy. She lets loose the readied bullet from her sling before dropping it and gripping the longspear in anticipation of the charge from the orcs.

OOC

Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

crit check (if atk=25)
Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

AoO, at first orc to come within 10' of Lorakain

Attack [roll5]
Damage [roll6]

crit check (if atk=24)
Attack [roll7]
Damage [roll8]

Math_Mage
2010-03-28, 01:14 AM
Eric

Well, lookie here. A couple of door "guards", snoozin' and losin'. If he'd been so lax at sea, the captain would've had him keelhauled. Best take care of this trash before they could make themselves useful. Eric snapped out his chain, aiming to bash in the guard's head.

Eric will move until he is 10 feet away from each door guard (if possible), ideally threatening the entire short end of the L. He'll attack the orc farthest from his companions; for example, if the door is on the south end of the room, and the L goes north and then east, Eric will attack the orc in the southwest corner, next to the door.

Power Attack for 1

Attack vs. Flat-footed AC--[roll0]
Damage--[roll1]
(if necessary:)
Crit confirm--[roll2]
Crit damage--[roll3]

Initiative--[roll4]
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14 (+2 vs. ranged attacks)
HP--22/22

AoO's at whoever provokes them. Deft Opportunist = +4 to AB.

Pre-emptive AoO 1--[roll5]
Damage--[roll6]
Crit confirm--[roll7]
Crit damage--[roll8]

Pre-emptive AoO 2--[roll9]
Damage--[roll10]
Crit confirm--[roll11]
Crit damage--[roll12]

Phew, that was a lot of text. I'm not used to posting for people with Combat Reflexes, and all my previous PbP fighting has been against zombies, precluding crit checks.

EDIT: Bam! *pumps fist*

BruteSquad01
2010-03-28, 05:54 AM
OOC: Ok, pick your location on the map, and your target for the surprise round, and first round.

Map:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/535/southernwastesbattle1.th.jpg (http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/535/southernwastesbattle1.jpg)

Calenestel
2010-03-28, 06:00 AM
OOC: E3 and B3 respectively.

Firebeard
2010-03-28, 06:32 AM
Garan moves through the door and looks to the right, where he heard the sounds of terh prisoner. It wasn't a prisoner, but two of them. Not sure if the orcs would kill the prisoners rather than be rescued, Garan changed his attack plan. With a few deft movement of his left hand, he threw some colored powder out from a pouch on his belt and muttered some words. A spray of rainbow light flew from his hands at the orcs on the far side.

Move to D4. Cast Color Spray on the orcs lined up on the right wall, should be able to get all of them.

DC 14 w/ Cloaked Casting

2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round.

3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5+ HD, we are screwed anyways :smallbiggrin:

Math_Mage
2010-03-28, 10:05 AM
OOC
Oh, I think I misunderstood the map. Eric would be happiest at C5 attacking the B4 orc.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-28, 02:20 PM
Will Save vs Color Spray:
C7: [roll0]
D7: [roll1]
F7: [roll2]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-28, 02:33 PM
Initiative for remaining orcs:
[roll0]

Attack (greataxe): [roll1]
damage: [roll2]
Attack (dagger): [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

Eric's deadly chain fells one orc immediately. Two of the orcs are knocked out by Garan's spell. The remaining orcs finally gather their wits and weapons. The one closest to the door hefts a greataxe and moves to attack the closest target, Lorakain, provoking an attack from Eric, who wounds him deeply. The other orc draws a dagger and quickly flings it at Garan. Both attacks are ineffective, and you quickly dispatch the remaining two orcs.

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 02:59 PM
OOC Lorakain at E3, had fired the bullet at the orc at B3. She then held the longspear at the ready, waiting for the orcs to charge. If she gets to act before the orcs, then she will take advantage of the slowness of the group to respond if they don't.

Edited to add: Nevermind. It looks like we're done here :smallsmile:

Firebeard
2010-03-28, 03:11 PM
"Well, that was fun." said Garan, wiping his Rapier clean on the shirt of one of the dead orcs. "What shall we do with the other 2? And who do we have here?"

Moving over to the chained prisoners, he said "My name is Garan. I hope you don't mind a little chit chat as we figure out what to do with these chains. Who might you be?" He begins to inspect the chains for means of releasing the prisoners. Over his shoulder, he calls out "Miles, you might want to keep an eye on those orcs. They'll be out for a little while, and disoriented when they do awake, but still, better to be careful than dead."

Garan looks for a way to open the chains. If they are locked, he will pick the lock. If not, he will free the prisoners, but he will delay his actions as long as possible to get information from them before they are freed, but not long enough to be obvious about it.

take 20s on the locks, if needed, giving a 28.

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 03:19 PM
"I'll leave the orcs to you folks." Lorakain quickly approaches the two humans, and checks on their conditions.

OOC If either look like they're dying, I'll cast cure minor wounds on them. If they're stable, I check to see if they can move, or if healing is needed.

Calenestel
2010-03-28, 03:34 PM
Leaning against his staff slightly and focusing his mind to compensate for the strain of casting the purplerobed sorcerer eyes his surroundings quickly. No other door and not much else here but the orcs and the prisoners. "Lorakain, would you see if the prisoners need your help, please?"

Leaving the humans to the care of Lorakain and Garan, he instead looks to Eric. "So... Miles. Should we tie them up? Before they wake up, I mean."

Math_Mage
2010-03-28, 07:40 PM
Eric

"Aye, let's get these fellows bundled up nice and tight," Eric growled. He grabbed the rope from his pack, tossed one end to Mythos, and approached the unconscious orcs.

Will take 20 on Use Rope with the silk rope if there's time, else--[roll0]