PDA

View Full Version : The Southern Wastes - Group Two

BruteSquad01
2010-02-18, 03:16 AM
This is the IC thread for the Southern Wastes, Group Two.
OOC Thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142172)

Introduction - August 18, 630 CY
Welcome to the largest city south of the Cloudspine, Snowport! True to its name, the city is covered in snow more often than not, but now, during the end of the short summer season, the weather is still mild. The days are warm at best, and long, and the nights pass swiftly, and rarely approach freezing temperatures. This is the busiest time of year for the city; the harbor at Kinghaven is open, and a brisk trade of furs, gold, and precious metals and stones passes through from north, south, and points inland. The markets, all near the dockside, are a crowded, bustling riot of various goods and services for sale. The city’s inns are full every night, and many residents take advantage of the opportunity to rent out an extra room or two. The tavern halls are filled to bursting, and festival tents are set up in the city squares to accommodate the demand for drink and fellowship. If you find yourself bored in this place, truly it would be your own fault!

OOC:
Today, you are wandering the market square. Feel free to wander, look for exotic trinkets or what have you, introduce yourselves. Once everyone posts, we will begin.

llamamushroom
2010-02-18, 04:39 AM
Gideon Pfarl

A palpable air of anxiety permeates the air around the tall man, leading his black mule. He brushes his brown hair from his eyes as he scans the marketplace for the right stalls.

Flint! How in the Nine Hells did I forget flint? And firewood! Do I have enough clothes? It's getting colder of a night, and... Soap! I know I don't have enough...

Gideon scurries from stall to stall, searching for those last-minute odds and ends. He doesn't plan on going anywhere yet, but it always pays to be prepared.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-18, 08:07 AM
Amira Goldhearth

This was more like it; she'd been wandering for days trying to find a decent place to settle down for a while. The weather wasn't at all what she had expected and soon needed to refuel her supplies. As much as she hated to admit it, she had almost been beaten out there.

Time to be a little sneaky...

"Excuse me..." she coughed a little and played around with little spell Prestidigitation. Fun for a whole hour. She made her clothes look a lot cleaner, the fur lining a lot poofier and generally seeming brand-new, forced herself to seem out of breath and walked up to the nearest stall that sold good quality meats and wine. She even put on her 'posh' voice for a chance. "Yes good sir, I've been travelling with my companions but do seem to have gotten a little lost. We're on a tour of this region for our yearly vacation you see and I seem to have misplaced my associates. They told me to meet up near one of the inns around here but I seem to have gotten a little lost."

And finally, the pièce de résistance to her little ploy, she fingers around with a small money pouch with two silver coins and ten other copper coins. Of course her little trick soon saw to that as the coppers turned their colour to silver under the effects of her spell and were enough to fool anyone who didn't stop to think about it. She pulled out the two real silver pieces and showed them to the merchant and rattled the rest of the pouch.

"I want to treat the poor people for having to wait for me and find me. I think I have maybe ten or twelve others in here... is that enough to buy a meal from you? I'm not quite sure how much things cost around here you see, and whether you'll accept silver or not." Now just to sit back, flutter eyelashes and see if things work.

---

Bluff roll: [roll0]

Basically what she's trying to do is attempting to fleece a 12sp amount of meat and wine while only handing over 2sp and 10cp, and quickly walking off before anyone notices. Of course any normal amount of meat would only amount to coppers with price, but she's after as much as she can get that is worth more than the 2sp 10cp she's actually handing over.

Prestidigitation is such a fun spell :smallbiggrin: minor magical effects within the limits of the spell for a whole hour!

dariathalon
2010-02-18, 10:04 PM
Becca Rolling

A young woman, probably in her late teens or early twenties, wanders through the marketplace. She has bright red hair that hangs in curly locks around her round face. Her large eyes are a brilliant shade of green. Her cheeks have a light sprinkling of freckles. She is not particularly large or threatening, standing only a little over five feet tall, but the large curved blade and quiver of javelins on her back make her seem a little tougher than one might otherwise expect. She holds her cloak tightly around herself, though a bit of her breastplate shows near her neck.

She wanders from stall to stall looking at their selections of cloaks. "So this is what they call summer around here. Back home this would feel more like late fall or early spring," Becca thinks.

She eventually stops at a stand sporting a selection of different cloaks. She picks one up, unfolds it and holds it before her. "No, too short." She puts it down and picks up another. Before unfolding it, she feels the cloth. "This one's a little on the thin side." She sets it down as well. "Excuse me, do you have something a little bit warmer than these?"

llamamushroom
2010-02-19, 02:14 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon looks up from the array of woollen cloaks that he had been pondering over. The object of his attention? A woman, perhaps a few years younger than he, obviously as keen on adequate preparation as himself.

"I think these ones are more suitable for winter," he calls to the heavily armed red-head.

Directing his attention to the stall-holder and holding up a serviceable black coat, he says "What sort of price are you charging for this?"

Dwarfstar1
2010-02-19, 03:06 PM
Klondike

Calloused hands shielded icy pale blue eyes from the afternoon sun. Pack mule in tow, the dwarf wanders down the gangplank and through the harbor district.

"Hrmph... good ta be back on solid ground again, even if it is so damned bright."

Following what signs are posted, the dwarf makes his way towards the heart of town in search of room and board for a day or two while he restocks his supplies before hitting the mines again.

dariathalon
2010-02-19, 06:19 PM
Becca

Becca looks up. "Hm?" She seems a little startled at first, but quickly recovers with a warm smile. "Oh, yes. Those look nice." She moves over picking up one of the cloaks. "Oh and some warm pants and socks too," she reaches further back on the man's stand pulling out a few other thick sturdy pieces of clothing. She is looking to cobble together an entire outfit suitable for cold weather.

Once she has an armload of clothing, she turns back to the man. "Thank you so much for pointing those out to me. I was beginning to wonder if they would have anything warm out this time of year. I suppose for people from around here it really isn't too cold. I think it's downright chilly for August. I'm Becca by the way." She shifts her pile of clothing into one arm to offer the man her hand.

llamamushroom
2010-02-19, 08:31 PM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon is almost shocked by... what was her name? Becca? ... anyway, by her reply.

"Think nothing of it. I'm Gid, by the way. I'm guessing this is your first Snowport winter," he says with a smile, taking Becca's hand firmly, without shaking it.

"The shopkeepers usually bring out the heavy-duty stuff in a week or two's time, but that pile should see you through anything but a blizzard." He indicates towards her laden arm. "Do you need any help moving your cargo? Georg here can carry plenty more."

The mule, seeming to sense the meaning of the words, shook his head vigorously.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-20, 12:01 AM
Amira captivates the unfortunate meat merchant, and makes off with a bundle of six fine lamb steaks, each plenty of food for a meal, or even two. Included was a bottle of wine, though she notices that it was not one of the varieties on display. You then move on to a different area of the market, in the event that the merchant realizes your deception.

Meanwhile, the stall holder turns towards Gideon and Becca, and eyes the coat Gideon holds up. Four silvers, sir, for that one. If you need a warmer one, though, try this instead, for just a silver more. It's going to be a long winter this year; cold, even for these parts. He offers you another coat, also black, of a similar style. This one is a bit thicker, though, and the inside is lined with wool.

Farther into town, away from the midday bustle of the market, Klondike discovers two of the inns are full. A third inn has a room remaining, though at a slightly inflated price in the dwarf's estimation. It's clean, though, and has a decent lock on the door, and there's room in the stable for the sea-weary mule. The innkeeper is clearly very busy, but stops long enough to suggest a couple good places for food, and reminds Klondike not to miss the evening's festivities, in the fountain square.

llamamushroom
2010-02-20, 04:45 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Returning once more to the business at hand, Gideon inspects the new cloak. As far as his meticulous (if untrained) eye could tell, this cloak was worth the extra silver piece. Of course, it never hurt to haggle.

He closed his eyes and focussed his mind on the power within himself, drawing it out, clothing himself with it. It permeated every aspect of his being. Muscle. Bone. Eyes. Voice

"Surely you can't be asking half a gold piece for this?"

I'm using Beguiling Influence (+6 Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate), then a Bluff check to try and get a lower price. Or would diplomacy be more appropriate? I'll roll both, just to be sure.

Bluff Check - [roll0]
Diplomacy Check - [roll1]

BruteSquad01
2010-02-20, 08:26 PM
Gideon Pfarl

Returning once more to the business at hand, Gideon inspects the new cloak. As far as his meticulous (if untrained) eye could tell, this cloak was worth the extra silver piece. Of course, it never hurt to haggle.

He closed his eyes and focussed his mind on the power within himself, drawing it out, clothing himself with it. It permeated every aspect of his being. Muscle. Bone. Eyes. Voice

"Surely you can't be asking half a gold piece for this?"

I'm using Beguiling Influence (+6 Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate), then a Bluff check to try and get a lower price. Or would diplomacy be more appropriate? I'll roll both, just to be sure.

Bluff Check - [roll0]
Diplomacy Check - [roll1]

Oh, yes, sir. I assure you, that coat is a bargain at five silvers. But for you, my friend, I will sell it for four. You will not find a better deal in Snowport today, my friend.

It would be diplomacy. You can't really bluff the merchant on the price of his own goods, I'm pretty sure he knows what it's worth, but you can talk him down with diplomacy.

dariathalon
2010-02-22, 12:54 AM
Becca

Becca thrusts her handful of clothing toward the merchant. "What about this stuff? How much would you charge for it?"

She was trying for a typical cold weather outfit, for which a typical fair price is 8 gp.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-22, 01:45 AM
Madam, you could not have made a finer choice. For these together, I give you a special price. Six gold pieces, and it's yours. Then, you'll just need a good pair of boots. That man, there, in the red hat, you see? He will have the warmest, sturdiest boots here, and a fair price, I'm sure.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-22, 09:06 AM
Amira Goldhearth

Strolling along the streets extremely proud of her new exploit, she comes across a market stall with fine winter clothing and is drawn by the people already purchasing; if the goods are being bought, they must be of good quality.

She wanders over to the woman holding out the Cold-Weather Outfit and 'whispers' into her ear, making sure that the merchant can overhear it.

"Hey, I bought that exact same outfit from a trader outside of the village for a great price." She shows off her own outfit that is indeed the stereotypical outfit available around these parts, looking extremely similar to the one Becca is pointing out, "He let me have it for 5 gold because they make so many around here the cost of production is low, so be careful what you offer this guy. I have the trader's name if you're not able to get this one."

Rolling another Bluff for this merchant, using 1 Insp. point on this one.
[roll0]

BruteSquad01
2010-02-22, 06:40 PM
The clothes-seller looks confused, and opens his mouth to object. Before he can speak, though, there is a sudden commotion in the square, and a shout rises above it all. Hey! Stop there, you ruffian! Unhand that man!

You turn in time to see a city watchman brandish his short sword, and cautiously approach a young, dark-haired human. The human releases his victim, a grey-haired, chubby man. His outfit looks like it was once the height of fashion, but is now worn and frayed. He clutches a small pouch to his chest and staggers away. The guard produces a short chain to bind the would-be mugger, and is about to take him into custody. Before anyone can react, a second man darts out from the crowd and plunges a long knife in the watchman’s back. The watchman lets out a gasp and falls forward. The killer draws his knife out of the guard’s body, and the two begin to flee into the city. A cry goes up from the crowd. They’ve killed a guard! Stop them!

dariathalon
2010-02-22, 06:43 PM
Becca

"Well thank you. Oh, that is a nice cloak." She pulls the woman's cloak out to examine it. "Yes, very nice. People around here certainly are friendly," Becca says, smiling at the woman who has addressed her.

She turns back to the merchant, giving him a quick bat of her eyelashes. "Her cloak is made from such nice cloth... I guess I really ought to go to the merchant she bought from. You have been so nice to me, pointing out that boot merchant and everything. I'd really like to buy from you, but I just couldn't feel right about it, unless you were able to beat his price of 5 gold, even if only by a few silver."

Alright, I guess she'll try her hand at diplomacy as well. [roll0]

llamamushroom
2010-02-23, 01:11 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Hearing the commotion behind him, Gideon thrusts his hand into his belt-purse, draws out a few silvers, and throws them towards the merchant.

"That should cover it," he says, as he bundles the cloak up and starts moving in the direction of the scene.

Gideon allows his trained mind to take in the scene - guard, down, needs medical attention; crowd, panicked, needs calming down before a riot; man with purse, blood-splattered, most likely in shock; two men, running away as fast as they can. The most rational course of action would be to see to the guard - if he can be saved, then do it. But Gideon let his feelings get the better of him. Too many times had his father's cargoes been safely transported, only for a last-minute desperate attack to bring death and tragedy. And then, of course, there was his personal experiences...

He turned to his mule, gave it the hand-signal for 'stay', and ran after the most obvious culprits.

The "few silvers" happen to be, coincidentally enough, 4. So yay. In terms of combat, he's going to run after the muggers until the crowd thins out, then aim an Eldritch Blast at whichever one is lagging behind the most. Yay, vigilante justice!

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-24, 07:41 AM
Amira Goldhearth

Quickly running towards the guard who has fallen and checks to see if the man is alive. If he is, Amira will try her best to staunch any bleeding of the Guard and cries out for further help.

"Quickly, this guard needs help!" She cries, a clear hint of desperation in her voice.

Heal check to stabilize him: [roll0]
Anyone wish to Aid Another? :smallbiggrin:

dariathalon
2010-02-24, 07:58 AM
Becca

Becca practically drops the pile of clothing back onto the merchant's stand. "Be back later," she barely has time to spit out.

She turns and takes off after the killers. As she turns, her stance subtly shifts. She runs after them.

Oops. BruteSquad01 must have posted while I was making my last post and I didn't notice it. Feel free to ignore my last post.
Swift Action: Change to Martial Spirit stance.
Other Actions: Either double move and draw falchion if she can catch up by moving only 40' or if they are farther than that run 80' after them.

dariathalon
2010-02-24, 08:09 AM
Sorry, I forgot to roll for granted maneuvers. I'll do that now. Here's the way I intend to do it. Becca will be granted 3 maneuvers for now. I'll roll 1d5and the number corresponds to a maneuver in her list (1=first maneuver, 2=second maneuver, etc.) That'll be the first maneuver that is granted to her. Then I'll roll 1d4, renumbering the remaining maneuvers 1-4 and be granted that, and finally 1d3 to get the third one.

1. Crusader's Strike
2. Vanguard Strike
3. Stone Bones
4. Douse the Flames
5. Leading the Attack

[roll0] = Douse the Flames

1. Crusader's Strike
2. Vanguard Strike
3. Stone Bones
4. Leading the Attack

[roll1] = Vanguard Strike

1. Crusader's Strike
2. Stone Bones
3. Leading the Attack

[roll2] = Leading the Attack

That gives me Douse the Flames, Vanguard Strike, and Leading the Attack. Next round I'll roll 1d2 to choose from the remaining two maneuvers.

I've editted this post after making the rolls to more clearly explain my method. Let me know if this works for you. I probably won't bother posting about granted maneuvers in this level of detail again, I'll just roll and post the result.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-26, 07:39 PM
As Becca and Gideon dash through the market after the assailants, Amira rushes to the aid of the guard. Already a pool of blood is forming due to the deep knife wound. Amira applies pressure to stop the bleeding, but she is not sure that will be enough to save him.

Meanwhile, Gideon and Becca run through the narrow streets of the docks district, not allowing their prey to get too far. Forcing through a crowd of people slows them down enough that Gideon and Becca catch up to them. Seeing a clear shot, Gideon sends an eldritch blast at one, as Becca draws her weapon, prepared for battle.

OOC:
Amira can try to stabilize again. If you rush to the fight, you will be there in two rounds.

Initiative:
Gideon [roll0]
Becca [roll1]
Mugger [roll2]
Stabber [roll3]

dariathalon
2010-02-26, 10:26 PM
Becca

From Becca's throat a mighty scream erupts. She brings her falchion down in a mighty swing. She shouts out, "Come on now. You try to kill a guardsman, why not try me too!"

Standard Action: Leading the Attack on the murderer. [roll0] If successful, all allies get +4 morale bonus on attacks against that target from the strike. Also, 2 points of healing (due to the stance) will go to
1. The guard, if he is within 30'
2. (If the guard is too far) Gideon, if he is injured
3. (If both of the above don't work) herself

Damage: [roll1]

Move Action: Attempting to goad one of the opponents. If both are threatening her, she'll goad the one she didn't strike. If only the one she attacked threatens her, she'll goad him instead. DC 13 Will save or he must direct any melee attacks he makes at her.

dariathalon
2010-02-26, 10:46 PM
Sorry for the double post. I just realized I forgot to roll Becca's new granted maneuver. This is my first time with a ToB character. I'd heard they were complicated, but didn't realize how much so. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Anyway, here's the roll for Becca's new granted manuever. [roll0] Edit: Which means she gets Stone Bones this round.

BruteSquad01
2010-02-26, 11:16 PM
The knife-man, sensing your pursuit, turns suddenly and throws a knife at Becca as she approaches. Unfazed by the attack, the crusader strikes him with her sword as she challenges the pair of ruffians. The other man draws a short sword, and attacks the crusader as well.

Stabber attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Mugger Will save [roll2]
attack [roll3]
damage [roll4]

llamamushroom
2010-02-27, 12:55 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Seeing the woman from the stall join him in his pursuit, Gideon sets his sights on the mugger. Again, he calls the darkness within him, feels it fill his being, and sends it out as a bolt of pure energy, arcing towards the erstwhile thief.

Move action: Get within 60 feet of the mugger, then come to a halt.
Standard action: Fire off an Eldritch Blast at him.

Attack Roll (Eldritch Blast) - [roll0]
Damage Roll - [roll1]

Edit: Oh, dear. I am in trouble...

BruteSquad01
2010-02-27, 05:07 AM
The thief is grazed by Gideon's blast, but ignores it. Both miscreants continue to attack Becca, attempting to position to attack from opposite angles.

Stabber Attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Mugger Tumble check [roll2]
Attack [roll3] (+2 for flanking, included)
Damage [roll4]
Sneak Attack Damage [roll5]

EDIT: Tumble check failed, Becca gets an Attack of Opportunity on the Mugger

dariathalon
2010-02-27, 11:14 AM
Becca

Becca tries to place her blade between the tumbling theif and his destination as he hurries around her.

Attack of Opportunity [roll0], Damage [roll1]. I'll wait to take the rest of my action until you get a chance to reply to my OOC post.

Edit: I forgot to add in furious counterstrike, which would add +1 to hit and damage, but with that roll, I doubt it matters.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-02-27, 01:47 PM
Amira will still try her best to stabilize the guard, leaving petty squabbles to the laws of the city she is in. She might be one to look for adventure, but being a vigilante is not one of her ideas of fun.

She looks around at the gathering crowd and barks her orders. "Someone do something rather than just standing there watching the show like cowards! Get something to help staunch the bleeding, some blankets, water, and for the love of the gods get a healer!"

Heal check, using 1 Insp. to slightly increase the odds of it happening.
[roll0]

llamamushroom
2010-02-27, 10:01 PM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon watched, feeling useless as the brave young woman closed in on the murderer and his compatriot. But wait, the mugger was separated a little from the main scuffle. Running forward, but still hanging back enough to keep a good view of things, Gideon allows the darkness to manifest in a very different way.

The shadows surrounding the mugger, his target, began to shift and writhe, gaining substance and form, until they finally coalesced into a massive weight of spiders.

Calling out to the men, he said "Surrender now - there are many more guards coming, and you won't be able to take them down so easily. There is more than your lives at stake."

Ok, breakdown of my actions.

Move action: Move to within 30ft away from the Mugger
Standard action: Cast Summon Swarm (spiders), centred around the mugger. Hopefully they're far enough away from Becca to refrain from attacking her...

As to the bit I call out, intimidate check, and a Bluff check as Gid doesn't actually know if there are more guards coming, or how effective they'll be. But whatever.

Intimidate Check - [roll0]
Bluff Check - [roll1]

BruteSquad01
2010-02-28, 02:52 AM
Though Amira's orders are urgent, most of the crowd continue to stand idly by, but a few rush into action. One merchant brings a blanket, and a couple more people run off in various directions to find help. Fortunately, you are able to stop the bleeding for now, and he should hold until other help arrives.

Mugger Sense Motive [roll0]
Mugger Fortitude Save [roll1]

Stabber Sense Motive [roll2]

The mugger is startled by the sudden appearance of hundreds of spiders, now crawling on him and biting everywhere, distracting his attack. Gideon's threat, though, only seems to strengthen their resolve to dispatch Becca quickly...

BruteSquad01
2010-02-28, 03:22 PM
The knife-man continues his attack, but his fellow is distracted by the mass of spiders, and tries to get away from them before he is covered in bites.

Forgot spider's damage from last round [roll0]

Stabber attack, flanking [roll1]
Stabber damage [roll2]
Stabber Sneak attack [roll3]

Mugger Fortitude save [roll4]
Mugger Tumble check [roll5]

Spider damage this round [roll6]

EDIT: Becca gets an Attack of Opportunity against Mugger

dariathalon
2010-03-01, 01:24 AM
Becca

Becca steps away from the sudden and mysterious onslaught of spiders. She continues swinging her falchion at the stabber, hoping she can knock him down quickly. Her training guides her muscles into a defensive posture after the blow, steeling herself against further attacks.

Free: 5' step away from spiders.
Standard Action: Stone Bones Strike [roll0] Damage [roll1] If successful, she gains DR5 until the end of next round and 2 hit points healed (from her stance).

She now has her last remaining maneuver granted to her.

I'm assuming you meant Becca got an AoO since Amira is quite away off still. If I'm wrong, or if Becca's step moved her away from getting the AoO, feel free to ignore this.

Attack of Opportunity [roll2], Damage [roll3]

llamamushroom
2010-03-01, 02:08 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Ignore my warning, eh? Well, we'll see what we can do...

"Alright, little lady, you keep engaging your friend there - I'll see what I can do about Mr. Arachnophobe," he calls to Becca.

Turning his head a little and raising his voice, Gideon says "Come on! They're only spiders! I'll give you something to worry about!" and releases another bolt of power at the mugger.

Standard Action: Attack mugger with Eldritch Blast.
Move Action: Not a thing

Eldritch Blast - [roll0]
-- Damage - [roll1]

Edit: 2? Wow, the dice gods hate me today. :smallwink: I guess I won't be giving the mugger anything to worry about.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-01, 03:31 AM
Becca's sword downs the knife-man, and strikes the thief as he tumbles away. The thief, now outnumbered and wounded, manages to run to an alleyway nearby and disappear just as a group of guards arrive at the scene, weapons drawn. The apparent leader quickly assesses the situation, and begins barking orders. Oderic and Roberts, after that one! What's going on here? Just set that sword down, madam! What sorcery is this? Where did these spiders come from? You, there! Stay put! Right, you both are coming with me to the garrison, and you better have an explanation for all this mess!

At the same time, more guards appear where Amira is tending to the wounded man. A woman is with them, who reveals herself to be a healer of some sort. She checks the guard, and indicates to the others to move him, carefully. It looks bad, but if he lives, he'll have you to thank for it as much as I. Please come with us, and tell us what happened.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-01, 07:20 AM
Amira Goldhearth

"If you don't mind so much I would at least like to stay with him until he regains consciousness." Amira smiles at the woman who just addressed her. "I'm sure what I have to say won't take up too much of your time."

Standing up, not really bothering too much about the blood almost dripping from her fingertips, she sighs slightly knowing that she did the best she could with the current situation. She always found solace in knowing that.

"My name is Amira, I am a traveller and new to this part of the Wastes. Pleased to meet you, albeit not under the best circumstances." She offers a hand to shake, but soon retracts it as she remembers that before she does anything, she really needs to wash her hands.

dariathalon
2010-03-01, 07:50 AM
Becca

Becca sheathes her sword, stepping a little further away from the unnatural swarm of spiders. "I'd be happy to explain to you what happened. I can tell you about everything, but the spiders. Not really sure what they're all about."

She looks back over her shoulder, "Is the guard back there all right? What about the man who was being mugged?"

BruteSquad01
2010-03-01, 03:36 PM
The woman offers Amira a wet cloth for her hands. We're all going to the same place. There's a proper healer at the garrison; as long as he can make it there, he should be all right. I'm Cornelia, by the way. I don't really work for the guard, but I help out a lot when there are injuries in the field. I'm sure the guard captain will want to talk to you about what happened. It's not often that anyone gets stabbed in broad daylight, but this is the time of year we see the most trouble.

As Becca sheathes her sword, the guard looks at Gideon. And you, sir? Follow the lady's example and cooperate, and we won't have to put you in chains. The guard captain will have to hear what you two have to say before this can be cleared up. I don't know what this is about, but it will help your case that you came along willingly instead of running off like that kid.

llamamushroom
2010-03-02, 02:38 AM
Gideon Pfarl

"Of course I'll co-operate, Sir. Sorry about the vermin - they're really quite harmless. I only wanted to scare our friend. Don't worry, I won't do it again, not for a good long while at least," he says, smiling almost conspiratorially.

Gideon dismisses the swarm, hoping he can convince everyone present it was merely a very realistic illusion. No sense in putting the guard on guard, after all.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you much more about what happened than Becca - I heard a noise and reacted. Sorry if it caused any fuss."

Gid's trying to bluff... everyone, really, but mostly the guards, into the thinking that the spiders was an illusion, and possibly that he won't be able to do it again.

Bluff Check - [roll0]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-03, 02:28 AM
You all arrive at the garrison at roughly the same time. The building is an impressive keep in the center of the city, surrounded by tall stone walls. Multiple gates in the complex lead to other parts of the city, and more walls radiate from various points to create several layers of defense.

Becca and Gideon find themselves reunited with Amira at the garrison. You are all in what appears to be a barracks or infirmary that also doubles as a waiting area. The guard that was stabbed is placed on a bed, and shortly afterward, a dwarf arrives and apparently casts a few healing spells. The guard wakes up, but is commanded to remain at rest. The sergeant that brought in Becca and Gideon politely orders you all to wait here, and offers you a cup of tea. Cornelia, the healer, offers to tend Becca’s wounds as well, since the dwarf priest is otherwise occupied.

After waiting for about half an hour, the sergeant returns, and with him is the guard captain, who casually takes a seat with you and gets straight to business. Well, then. I’m Amirus, the captain of the guard here. I’ve got one man nearly stabbed to death, and another body in the street. So, why don’t you all tell me what happened?

dariathalon
2010-03-03, 08:04 AM
Becca

Becca watches as the priest works on the guard. When the other healer approaches her, she nods, "As long as he is being cared for first, I'll thank you for help with my wounds." She removes her armor, to allow the woman access to her wounds.

Becca took two hits, the first for 4 and the second for 7. She used stone bones while the second attack was in her delayed damage pool, but I don't think the DR is counted against that since it was already in her delayed damage pool.

Becca has been in the martial spirit stance, so every hit she struck gave her back 2 hp. If I counted right, she hit 3 times. Therefore she gets back 6 hp and is only down 5 at the moment.

Does this sound right to you?

I've gotta go now, so I'll wait to reply to the sergeant until later. Of course anyone else is welcome to in the meantime.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-03, 08:43 AM
Amira Goldhearth

Holding back subtle laughter about Becca's demands, Amira just rolls her eyes at the lot of them. "Not used to earning what you get then, I see." The comment is a passing one, not particularly directed at any one person, but the rest of the group.

Seems like I've landed myself with a decent group. As uncouth as they may be, should lead to some interesting adventures should it come to that.

"Myself and the other people were purchasing goods from the market when we heard a scream and sounds of a fight. By the time we had turned the fine man was already clutching at his abdomen on the ground and the culprits were fleeing, blood-soaked blade in hand. While I tended to the fallen guard the others, to my knowledge, ran off brandishing steel to exact their own justice." She just can't help it anymore, the grin across her face is nothing but blatantly smug.

dariathalon
2010-03-03, 06:40 PM
Becca

Becca appears to be in much worse humor than Amira. She purses her lips in annoyance. "Not exactly... When I turned from the stall where I'd just met these two, I saw your guard over there," she nods in the direction of the man on the bed, "trying to arrest a mugger. Another man, the one with the shortsword, sprung up out of hiding, stabbing him in the back. The thief and his cohort then ran off. Gid, that was your name wasn't it?" She turns to address the man for a moment. Once confirmation is offered she continues, "Well, we ran after them. I figured you wouldn't want thieves and killers to run lose in your city." She shrugs as if challenging him to disagree with her.

llamamushroom
2010-03-03, 11:59 PM
Gideon Pfarl

"That's exactly what happened... at least, from my perspective. I can't say I'm sorry the man who attacked your guard is no longer with us, but I do apologise for any ruckus we caused. I assure you, if you would rather we didn't respond with violence in future, I would be more than happy to comply."

Gideon raises an eyebrow at Amira's expression. Who, exactly, does this girl think she is? Taking the moral high ground with that monstrous crossbow at her side?

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-04, 07:44 AM
Amira Goldhearth

Almost as if she was reading Gideon's mind at his expression, she smiles and offers a hand in greeting.
"My name is Amira; explorer, scholar, scoundrel and saint. I've been called all of these things in my time amongst other things, and it tends to depend on what takes my fancy at the time." She almost oozes self-confidence and cheerful arrogance as the grin is still plastered across her face. "I think I must be having a saint day."

By the Gods I'm an idiot. 'Whatever takes my fancy'?! Who says that anymore. Ugh, way to go Amira.

llamamushroom
2010-03-05, 06:04 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon keeps the eyebrow raised while extending his own hand.

"Charmed. Gideon; guard-for-hire and exacter of my own justice, whatever takes my fancy."

Suddenly, he returns the grin, now without a trace of sarcasm.

"But you can call me Gid. I'm sure the bed-bound man there thanks you for your choice of persona. You seem very adept at it; are you a healer by trade?"

BruteSquad01
2010-03-05, 03:43 PM
Amirus listens quietly as you all tell your story. Afterwards, he nods slowly and seems to debate with himself briefly. Well, then. Hm. That all sounds well and good, and I’ve got a handful of witnesses from the market who are backing you up, too. The man you killed was a guy called Turner, he’s been in trouble for all sorts of stuff over the years here, so I suppose you’ve done us a favor getting rid of him. Maybe you two are enforcers who’re supposed to kill him if he didn’t finish a job or some such; I suppose that’s possible. You seem like decent folk, though, and I don’t have any reason to really believe you’re otherwise, so you’re free to go. Keep yourselves out of trouble; I don’t want to make a habit of this. You want to chase thieves and killers, you can join the guard.

Amira, was it? I’d like to thank you for your help. I’m told that guard would certainly be dead without your help, and that puts me in your debt. If you ever find yourself in need in my city, I will do what I can to assist. Thank you.

He stands abruptly. Well, then. Cornelia can show you all out, I’ve got other matters to attend to. Always something to do, this time of year. Good day ladies, and you sir. Farewell.

Becca:
Cornelia has bound your wounds. If you take it easy the rest of the day, you will heal 4 hit points by tomorrow, so you'll be down 1. Assuming you don't get into a fight tomorrow, you will be healed after that.

dariathalon
2010-03-05, 06:41 PM
Becca

Becca re-equips her armor, despite her injuries wearing it is still easier than carrying it. She also thanks Cornelia one more time for her bandaging.

She nods her understanding to the guard captain, but does not speak to him again. As soon as her back is turned she rolls her eyes. "Why not just let the strong take care of the weak? Become a guard... Yeah right. I'll do what I think is right, and if he wants to argue with me on it, he can bite my frozen rear end... Speaking of which..." she thinks.

She turns to the other two as they walk out, "Well, I suppose I'll head back to the market and get that nice warm outfit I was looking at. Then maybe I'll find an inn for the night, take it easy at least until my wounds heal. Can either of you recommend a nice place?"

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-06, 08:06 AM
Amira Goldhearth

Smiling back at Gideon she stops and thinks for a short while before answering him. "It's quite difficult to determine whether I am or not, to be honest." She pauses and pulls out one of her journals with various scribblings and notes, just to point something out, "I travel a lot, and I write down everything I see. I make a habit of it. I've seen a lot of doctors patching up a lot of wounds, so I just write down what they do, study it and copy what I've seen and hope for the best. Luckily most of the time it seems to work."

While leaving the garrison Amira looks across to Becca, reaches into her bag and pulls out a certain cold-winter outfit while out of sight of the guards. "Healing isn't my only speciality. It's amazing what you can get your hands on in times of crisis." Without waiting for a reply, she hands over the outfit and walks off into one of the streets.

Now here's to hoping that they'll ask me to hang around...

BruteSquad01
2010-03-07, 05:21 AM
Amira turns to depart, running straight into someone going the other direction. After the initial shock, you all recognize the unfashionable old man from the market who was about to be mugged. He steadies Amira and regards you all with a broad, friendly smile. His words would be rude were it not for his grandfatherly manner. Oh! Please take care, young lady, watch your step! Never know where you could end up, hey? Heh, heh, well! I hoped to meet you all here, so this is fortuitous! I want to thank you all for your help today in the market. Were it not for your timely intervention, the guard and I may have shared… well, an unfortunate fate, to say the least. I have something for each of you, a small token, to be sure, but I hope you will accept it, with my gratitude.

With that, he hands each of you a small pouch. Each is made of what must be exceedingly expensive black velvet, embroidered in gold thread with a four-pointed star. Inside each pouch are a handful of small, finished gemstones of several varieties, all flawlessly cut. The old man holds an identical pouch in his hand. I have one for the guard, as well. For you three, though, I also have an offer. It will not surprise you to learn that I am a merchant… of some accomplishment, I suppose. I have traveled much of the South over the years, mostly trading gems, as you can see, but I’ll deal in anything that may prove… profitable.

The old man checks his surroundings, and draws closer and continues, conspiratorially. After today, I suppose I should be more discreet in my dealings, so I’ll explain this briefly. I’d like to hire you all to accompany me with a small caravan, and our destination is the elven land to the west, farther inland. It’s a route I used to travel frequently, but that was years ago, when the vile hordes were… dormant, for the most part. Anyways, the route is long, and it may be dangerous, but I assure you the pay would be… well, attractive, I would think. If you’re interested, please meet me tomorrow night. There’s a lovely tavern on the island, The Noble Dwarf is its name. It’s quite close to the ferry, so you shouldn’t miss it. Please come, I think you’ll discover it to be worth your while!

With that, the old man heads to the entrance of the garrison, but turns back before entering. Oh, I’ve forgotten! When you arrive, ask for me, by the name of Tegula! Tegula Carthis! Good day, and thanks to you again! Good day!

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-07, 07:03 AM
Amira Goldhearth

"Well they always say good luck comes in three's." She mutters to herself, turning to Becca and Gideon. "I believe our future together is to be rather fruitful!" Trying to hold back her enthusiasm, she resists the temptation to skip the rest of the way.

Treasure, travel and adventure, the things I love most in life. Ah. Well, aside from se-- Her thoughts interrupted for a moment; she was assuming way too much. She looks back at the others again with a slight concern on her face.

"At least tell me that you two are going to take him up on his offer though? Right?"

llamamushroom
2010-03-07, 06:12 PM
Gideon Pfarl

It was certainly an attractive proposition the the merchant offered, and it wasn't as if Gideon hadn't done anything like it before. But mercantile guarding was slightly less hazardous in the Old Country, and remember was happened there...

He was started out of his recollections by the little saint's semi-pleading query. Gideon smiled to himself. Share a possibly near-death experience and she's already concerned about us? I think I like her.

Aloud, he said, "I was planning on it, but I can't speak for Becca. Amira, was it? Do you have a place to stay until then?"

dariathalon
2010-03-07, 09:20 PM
Becca

Becca's mouth hung open when Amira handed her the bundle of clothing. Her mind was busily forming a question about how she had gotten it and whether she had paid, but in her astonishment, she couldn't seem to make her mouth cooperate to ask.

Just as she was about to speak, Amira ran into the old man from the market place. Becca listened to his offer quietly, still too surprised to speak, at least until the man began walking away. She managed to call out after him, "Thank you!"

Becca turned back to Amira and Gid. "Well, I'll at least go to The Noble Dwarf to hear more about his plans. I think it's probably a good idea to get out of town for awhile, after this run in with the guard. The captain seemed like a nice enough man, but a little too by-the-book for me." She shrugs her shoulders. "Say, about this clothing. At least let me pay you back for it. What did you pay?"

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-08, 09:59 AM
Amira Goldhearth

"Pay?" She questions, then catches her words, "oh, right, pay..." Waving a dismissive hand, the question was answered with a smile, and she turns to Gideon. "I can't say that I've had anything planned, but what I usually do is just spin a few tales in a tavern and land a free room for providing entertainment. The Noble Dwarf, did he say?"

BruteSquad01
2010-03-08, 11:30 PM
August 19, 630 CY - Snowport
You arrive on the Island with the day’s last ferry, as the sun is setting. While the mainland section of the city celebrates, this district of the city is relatively quiet. The Island is the high society district of the city; many of its successful merchants and most senior officials live here. There is a small commercial district near the docks, comprising shops that cater to the district’s wealthy residents. Among these is The Noble Dwarf, a large tavern and inn that sits very near the docks. It is the only such establishment on the Island, and caters only to the wealthy and their guests.

When you enter, two guards sit out front to collect your weapons and politely remind you that the use of magic is not permitted while inside, and will be dealt with “most harshly, should it be discovered.” Upon entering, a serving girl immediately appears to ask what you would like to drink. Upon mentioning Tegula, the tavern keeper appears. Ah, yes, Master Carthis has reserved a private room for your party. Please follow me upstairs. Master Carthis has not yet arrived, but has instructed me to inform you that you will have no need for your own coin here tonight. Whatever you would like to eat or drink will be provided; do not hesitate to ask. Here we are, please have a seat. Master Carthis will arrive as soon as he is able, I’m sure.

You are in a private dining room on the second floor; there is room here for perhaps twenty diners at most. A large window looks over the warehouses and provides a good view of the harbor and the mainland city, which glows from the light of the many festivals and street parties. No one else is here, save for a handsome half-elf sitting near the window, with a strange instrument in his hands. Upon your entrance, he stands and bows slightly, but says nothing. The tavern keeper bids you to sit. Sit, and make yourselves comfortable. Netharos is here to provide music for you, he is from an elven kingdom far in the north. That peculiar thing he’s got is called a “guitar”. It has a very pleasing sound, though Netharos claims there are those in his homeland who are much more capable than him. I won’t believe it ‘til I hear it, Netharos! Well, I’ll get back to work, and Mellina has arrived to take your orders. Enjoy!

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-09, 05:37 AM
Amira Goldhearth

Taking in the sights and sounds, Amira can't seem to keep the smile off her face. In fact she hasn't been able to since she arrived in this city. Ordering a glass of their finest wine in passing to their dining room, her ears prick at the sound of the music coming from the room.

"A Guitar? How exquisite! May I look? Just don't stop playing, I've got to see how this works." She pulls up a chair and sits infront of the bard, getting one of her notebooks and quickly jotting down what she can see, and a detailed picture on the paper. She intends to get her hands on one of these instruments one day.

llamamushroom
2010-03-09, 06:45 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon is not so much over-awed by his surroundings as surprised to find them in Snowport. Even after all these years here, I can't help but picture it as a colony... He, too, orders wine, but out of respect for his prospective employer he doesn't go for the elven variety.

Upon entering the parlour, Gideon feels intimidated by the elf - he had always distrusted musicians, the way they could turn strings or stretched skin into beautiful music. He sits himself in a corner and tries not to think about Amira or... Nathario? Nessarose? Something like that... about either of them judging him for his lack of love of what was obviously a shared passion. Then again, considering what she had already told him, perhaps everything was a passion for Amira.

dariathalon
2010-03-09, 07:56 AM
Becca

Becca slides into a seat across from Gideon. When asked for her order, she simply says, "same as him." She listens to the unusual music for a moment, deciding it is nice, but not much different some of the stringed instruments they had at home. At least, not to her untrained ear.

"So, are you from Snowport?" she asks Gid, making small talk to idle the time before Tegula arrives.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-09, 05:14 PM
Netharos smiles confidently at his adoring audience, and continues to play a soft, but energetic melody as he speaks. Mordenn, the tavern keeper, likes to brag on me a lot, but these really are quite simple songs. I've not much skill, but I have practiced them for many years. In my homeland, there is a master of the guitar, known as Segovius. His fingers move so quickly, you cannot see them, and yet there is no unwanted noise from the movement. Every note is precise and clear...

llamamushroom
2010-03-10, 01:52 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon orders a simple meal, something familiar in the strange surroundings, taking the chance to think before answering Becca's question. He trusts her, but that's no reason to go around telling people your life story.

"Not originally, no. But then, who is? I was from the Old Country, but moved out to this part of the world maybe... 5 years ago? Something like that. This is my first summer here, anyway. Up 'til now I've mostly been in and around Stonedock, up north. What about you?"

dariathalon
2010-03-10, 07:54 AM
Becca

Becca orders a bowl of stew and some bread to go with it. "I just arrived today, in fact. I'm from quite a distance to the north east. I decided to see what things were like on the frontier of the empire, so here I am."

BruteSquad01
2010-03-12, 03:34 AM
Whether you ordered a gourmet meal, or simply bread and stew, all of the food is exquisitely flavored, and the portions are generous. The music continues, and though he claims they are simple songs, Netharos has clearly mastered them. Snowport may be merely a colony to some, but it’s obvious that there are no hardships here for the elite.

Shortly after you begin your meal, Tegula arrives. He greets you all warmly, coming to each of you and clasping hands. He takes a seat, and Mellina is already here with a plate of food and a glass of wine. Tegula takes a few bites before speaking.

Mmm, that’s good food. How is everything? Excellent! Well, let’s get to it, then, shall we? He produces a worn map from his pocket, and spreads it on the table. We leave from Snowport by boat; it’s a day’s sailing or less to here. The cargo is unloaded, I’ve arranged for three large wagons to meet us at the village here, along with most of our crew. We continue through the human lands until we get to Fordan. It’s a smallish place, but it’s filled with dwarves and humans both, and it trades with both the islanders and the dwarves further inland, so it’s a good place to trade. We travel up the river, and through the dwarves’ territory.

After that, the journey becomes… challenging, you could say. We leave the dwarven lands and cross into the hordelands. There’s goblin tribes, orcs, ogres, lizardfolk, and all sorts. Now, there is one real town there, and I’ve a contact there who assures me that our safety can be guaranteed, for a price. We’ll have a shipment of various goods to drop there in exchange for our passage. It’s all basic stuff, mostly tools and such, no weapons. I’ll not trade weapons to… goblins, no sir. Hmph!

Anyway, assuming we make it through Goblintown, there are several miles of pure wilderness to go through before we reach the elves. Out there, we could run into… well, anything, really. Like I said, I’ve traveled this route before, and run into all sorts of beasts. Even a dragon, on one occasion, but he was… pleasant enough, I suppose.

Then, we reach the elves, and finish our journey here, at Lyrehaven. It’s a city of humans and elves, mainly, on the border of each group’s lands. We sell everything we brought, and maybe I’ll buy other goods and come back. Or maybe I’ll stay out there for a bit, I… haven’t decided, yet.

Your jobs will be… well, whatever we need that day. I may need you to scout ahead of the trail, or carry a message to or from the next stop. When we’re in Goblintown, especially, I’ll need you for extra security, I’m sure. We should have enough helpers for the manual labor, but you never know what could happen out there. I won’t ask you all to risk yourselves unduly, and I won’t ask you to do anything… unethical. It’s dangerous work, though - yours especially - and the pay will reflect that. Should we all make it to Lyrehaven in one piece, you’ll each get six hundred gold pieces. Anything you find during the journey is yours, and if I make a good profit, I’ll cut you all in a small percentage. That itself could be several hundred gold. All reasonable expenses will be provided for; food, lodging in town, repairs for your… equipment, and so forth.

Well, there it is, my offer to you. What do you say?

Map:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8067/snowportregionmap.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8067/snowportregionmap.jpg)

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-12, 11:09 AM
Amira Goldhearth

"You had me sold from the moment you said travelling away from this place. Besides," she says with a smirk on her face, "I've been wanting to test out the newly installed action of this baby." Swinging her crossbow from over her back, she lays it out on the table. At this point she unties her stunningly beautiful raven hair and lets it fall all the way to her waist, then sits back in her chair relaxing before the fire.

"So when do we leave?"

dariathalon
2010-03-12, 06:05 PM
Becca

Becca seems to give the offer much more measured consideration than Amira had. She tosses her fiery hair back and looks up at the ceiling as she thinks. Finally she levels her eyes on Tegulas again, "Why not. It might be interesting to see how the natives of the area live. You seem like a good and honest sort, I'll do what you ask."

llamamushroom
2010-03-13, 08:27 PM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon spends quite a while staring at his bread, obviously weighing his decision.

"You have a deal, on one condition; tell us why you didn't already have guards. Was it that you expected to find some here, or did the ones you had arranged renege, or was it something else? I don't mean to be offensive, I'm just curious, and want to make sure I have all the information before agreeing."

He flashes an easy smile, but there is only a trace of humour there. Negotiations like this are very serious matters to Gid, but M Carthis had explained almost everything. Nothing to worry about, most likely, but it always pays to be prepared.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-14, 04:22 AM
Tegula nods at Gideon's question, but maintains his cheerful demeanor. That's exactly the sort of mind I'm looking for, now. I take no offense, my good man, that's a valid... concern. The truth is, it's been a few years since I've traversed this particular route. Snowport has grown since I was here last, and it was previously... quite a bit safer. I had suspected this upon my arrival, but yesterday's incident was confirmation enough. I already have a few guards ready to meet us with the wagons, but I think it prudent to have a few more... troubleshooters, this time around. And so here we are.

As for when we're leaving, I've a few meetings left here in the city. Our ship sails in two days, on the 21st. If there's any supplies you think you might need, let me know, and I should be able to provide them. Within reason, of course. I'll be staying here at the inn, and you can leave any messages with Mordenn, the tavern-keeper.

He raises his glass of wine, smiling broadly. So we're all in agreement, then? Excellent, excellent! Let's have a toast then, to... successful ventures, and a safe journey!

llamamushroom
2010-03-15, 02:48 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon raises his own glass, too, the smile breaking out. "To a safe journey!"

Only if this was the only thing he hadn't planned for.

Pushing his misgivings aside, Gid resumes eating, hoping to return to his lodgings before the temperature drops.

dariathalon
2010-03-16, 12:12 AM
Becca

Becca joins the others in raising her drink in toast. She drains the remaining contents of her glass before setting it back on the table. "I can't think of anything more I'll need, but I'm not particularly used to life in this part of the world. I didn't realize how early the weather turns chilly around here, for example and just got some warmer clothes today. Thanks again, Amira. So if any of you can recommend anything I might need for this journey, I'd certainly listen."

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-16, 06:07 AM
Amira Goldhearth

"Well," she begins to speak while raising her glass to join in the toast, "Cheers! But yes, when the weather is cold you need to look after your weapons and rations. Oil your weapons and keep them protected from the weather. They become brittle and break easily when they get too cold. Same with any potions; doesn't really have the same effect if you have to eat the thing instead of drinking it." She gives a playful wink and downs her drink in one gulp before happily refilling it. "This stuff is wonderful, don't you think? Mmm." She looks over the wine after she pours it, tasting it in a regular fashion before downing yet another glass. "Whoo. Ahem, anyway where was I? Yes, frozen potions. Food too, it tends to spoil if it's not preserved properly--" Her attention soon wanders as she eyes up the rest of the wine on the table, then turning to her new employer, "Hey, um, think I could get a few skins full of this? Really."

BruteSquad01
2010-03-18, 02:38 AM
After agreeing to his proposal, Tegula is ecstatic, and remains in good spirits the rest of the evening, laughing and joking with you all. Several glasses of wine and ale are shared, and Netharos cheerfully plays throughout the party. Eventually, though, the four of you tire, and the gathering winds down. Mellina begins to gather the used dishes, and Mordenn arrives to ensure that everything was to Tegula's satisfaction. He offers anyone a room, if they don't have one elsewhere already, or invites you to the common room for another glass of wine.

You all shuffle downstairs, either to leave to your accommodations or make arrangements for a room at the Noble Dwarf. Tegula bids you good night, and goes up to his room.

Gideon

Spot checks:
Becca: [roll0]
Amira: [roll1]
Gideon: [roll2]

You notice someone in the common room who seems to be watching you intently. The face is hidden under a wide-brimmed hat, making it impossible to determine the race or gender of the stranger. You noticed this person when you came in, sitting in the same spot, but thought nothing of it at the time...

llamamushroom
2010-03-19, 12:50 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon enters the common room with his companions, and sees someone watching them. They're too wrapped up in their cloak and hat to tell who they are, but it is unmistakable who they are looking at.

He turns to the two women, and begins speaking as though continuing a joke. "Do you know who that is?" he says, waving his arm in a gesture that both indicates the stranger and looks natural. "I saw him on the way in, but whoever it is, they're paying awful close attention to us."

Bluff Check for looking like a conversation.

Bluff Check - [roll0]

dariathalon
2010-03-19, 01:33 AM
Becca

Becca's eyes try to follow Gideon's gesture to the man. She tries to do so non-chalantly, but doubts that she could hide her glance and still be certain of what she was looking at.

I'm assuming a [roll0] might be needed here.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-19, 06:38 PM
Becca:
Nope, it's Bluff. The person is not hiding, so you easily see them. It's trying to notice them without them noticing that you notice them; that's the trick. So your 11 + Bluff is 13, instead.

The stranger is obviously watching you all, but does not let on that he knows you all are aware of their presence. None of you recognize the clothing at all.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-20, 12:39 PM
Amira Goldhearth

"I wouldn't worry about it too much," she doesn't give more than a quick glance, "after all things have just been rowdy in the streets, it wouldn't surprise me if we had people wondering who we were. Besides, if he wanted any trouble I think we would have seen it by now." Amira shrugs, taking the last gulp of her wine before setting the glass down on the nearest table while walking. "No harm in keeping out a watchful eye though if you're concerned."

--

Amira will head back to her inn room probably too intoxicated to bother about watching behind her, but the one thing she always learned how to do and would never forget is to fool any would-be thieves, especially if Gideon was worried about being followed. Once in her room she places several silver pieces, coppers and a gold piece in a money pouch and 'hides' it beneath the pillow of the bed, wedged down between the mattress and the bed frame but clear enough to see should anyone lift up the pillow.

Usually the first and last place they look, leaving the rest of my money properly hidden and safe. Saves them ransacking the room, too.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-20, 10:19 PM
(OOC: I'm assuming everyone leaves for the night, if not, we can backtrack)

Disregard this post, rewinding.

You all return to your lodgings, wherever they may be. Despite your wariness at being followed, the night passes without incident. You awaken in the morning to cloudy skies, but no rain, yet.

dariathalon
2010-03-22, 06:40 PM
Becca

(Actually, if you don't mind a rewind. I think Becca will address the stranger.)

"Well, it's hard saying what's up with him. And, nearly impossible without doing a little investigation. I think I'll go over and say hello. If you don't mind sticking around for a few more minutes, in case there's trouble, I'd appreciate it," she says, mostly to Gideon, figuring Amira has been drinking and probably wouldn't be much use if trouble came up anyway. Though she also doesn't specifically exclude her from the statement.

Becca turns and makes her way between tables toward the man. She is looking straight at him as she approaches. "Hello, stranger. I'm Becca Rolling. My friends and I couldn't help but notice you seemed to take an interest in us. So, I thought I'd come over and say hi. So, what's going on?"

llamamushroom
2010-03-23, 03:57 AM
Gideon Pfarl

When he realises what Becca is about to do, Gideon makes as if to stop her. But something about her confidence, as well as her acknowledgement of the worst-case scenario, reassured him.

"I'll be right behind you - just say if you feel worried."

Gideon positions himself behind her left shoulder as they approach, and tries to look non-threatening but still capable. He also tries to get a feel for the stranger.

Sense Motive - [roll0]

BruteSquad01
2010-03-24, 03:29 PM
Becca "Hello, stranger. I'm Becca Rolling. My friends and I couldn't help but notice you seemed to take an interest in us. So, I thought I'd come over and say hi. So, what's going on?"

The stranger lifts the wide-brimmed hat, revealing the face of a middle-aged, but attractive human woman. She smiles widely at Becca, standing and offering her hand. Oh, dear, you've caught me staring again! You all were the good citizens in the market the other day! I noticed you when you came in, and thought I recognized you, but I wasn't sure until you came back down.

My name is Farlana Orghue,(the 'g' is silent) my husband is Ricardi Orghue. You know, the magistrate? Oh, well, I suppose you all are new in town, then. He used to be a big time merchant, but now he's the head magistrate of the city, and Snowport's richest citizen, probably. We've been here almost twenty years, but around here that makes us ancient natives or something! So, where are you all from?

She seems to be every part the curious wife of a powerful politician, genuinely curious about a group of vigilante heroes.

This is a roll: [roll0]

dariathalon
2010-03-24, 06:37 PM
Becca

Becca smiles at the magistrate's wife. She takes her hand and shakes it gently. "Yes, I am very new in town, just got here today, in fact. I don't think the others have been around too much longer really. We just met in the market a little before the mugger attacked that poor man. I'd love to stay around for longer to see the sights, but unfortunately, we've just been contracted for a job that will take us out of town soon."

llamamushroom
2010-03-26, 03:55 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Content that the magistrate's wife offers no threat, Gideon simply smiles, bows his head at her in deference. Then, he departs as quickly as possible, pausing at the doorway to wave a hand in goodbye at Becca.

He returns to his inn, makes sure Georg is secure, then beds himself down for the night. A good night's rest can do wonders for an overly-paranoid mind.

BruteSquad01
2010-03-26, 11:43 AM
(OOC: OK, now we'll do this part!)

You all return to your lodgings, wherever they may be. Despite your wariness at being followed, the night passes without incident. You awaken in the morning to cloudy skies, but no rain, yet.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-03-28, 08:07 AM
Amira Goldhearth

Amira sighs as she looks up at the sky; it's probably as dark as her mood. The last thing she wanted with a roaring headache was to contend with the idea of a downpour.

Time to oil up my clothes too, since I'm not getting a damn chill from rain of all things.

Stumbling to find her clothes then into the bathroom to try and freshen up, she then heads downstairs and back out into the market for a quick launt before anyone else wakes up.

--

OOC: She's either looking on the market for something to waterproof her gear/clothing, or an umbrella (:smallbiggrin:) or even some minor magical item to keep her dry should it start to rain.
Gather Information? [roll0]

dariathalon
2010-03-28, 08:37 PM
Becca

Becca takes a few extra minutes this morning to pamper herself. Laying in bed on a lazy morning seemed like an extremely good idea. She'd been on the road for a long time already, and soon would be departing again. So taking a few extra minutes buried under the blankets in a nice warm bed seemed like an extravagance she couldn't deny herself.

Eventually, she managed to pull herself from the bed. After one last longing look at her pillow she went about grooming herself and then finally left her room. She found a quiet table in one corner of the dining room downstairs. She ordered a simple hot breakfast, and sat watching the other patrons go about their business as she waited for her food.

llamamushroom
2010-03-29, 02:30 AM
Gideon Pfarl

Gideon awoke to the sounds of a busy city morning - vendors screaming out their wares, mothers shouting down their squalling children, horses whinnying and donkeys braying. Ah, civilisation; you just can't beat it...

He drags himself out of bed, packing his bag and starting to cart his various possessions down to the stable to be loaded onto his mule some time later. Eventually, he sits down to breakfast, satisfied that he's prepared to go and protect a man he met the day before with his life... then remembers that they aren't leaving for another day, yet.

A quick re-negotiation with the innkeeper later, and Gideon is dragging all his things back up to his room, locking them well in the provided strongbox. He decides to look around, and see if his companions-to-be were anywhere - it might be an idea to get everyone's feelings on the journey ahead before setting sail with them.

With that objective in mind, Gideon starts wandering through the already crowded market square.