PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Blue. Na'Vi vs Nac Mac Feegle

Fri
2010-02-18, 05:31 AM
They're blue, they're good fighter, and... okay, honestly, there's where the similarity ended.

But well, I was rereading The Hat Full of Sky, and thought, what can fight these violent smurfs? And of course I realized just a second later, the OTHER violent smurfs.

For those who aren't familiar with them, Nac Mac Feegle are a race of pictsies (call them pixies and they're bite your ears off) from Terry Pratchett's Discworld. They're six inches tall, blue, red haired, and love to fight. When faced with a flee or fight situation, they won't think twice. If there are nothing to fight, they'll fight each other. And if a Nac Mac Feegle is alone, hell, he'll fight himself just to keep himself sharp.

They're very hardy, you can punch them, throw them, kick them, and they'll bounce back and keep fighting. They're fast, usually people will only see a flash of smelly blue thing when they don't want to be seen. And they're quite strong for their size, about ten of them can lift an adult human. They love to fight, shout, drinking anything that look remotely alcoholic (turpentine, rat poison, ointments), and they'll steal anything that's not nailed. If it's nailed, usually they'll steal the nail as well.

And, their religion said that they're already dead and in some kind of valhalla. That's why they aren't afraid to die. For them, to die here is to come back to the boring world of the living. They were natives to the fairy world, but they're banished, some say because they wanted freedom, some said that it's because they're drunk.

In the other side...

The Na'Vi are indigenous species that live on the fictional world of Pandora from James Cameron's Avatar. They are blue humanoid in appearance and are 9 to 12 feet tall. According to the humans on the Pandora, they're strong, and really hard to kill. Avatar wiki said that their skeletons are reinforced with natural carbon fiber and they're as strong as four man. As seen in the movie, they can even fight man in mechs with their bare hand. They're talented hunter, very agile and balanced, can leapt between branches easily, and can move unseen and unheard in the forest. Basically, they're giant blue wood elves.

So... they fight. Come on, do the pictsies ever need any reason to fight something? Alright.

One day, a company of pictsies (they seems to work in a group of about 50 pictsies) were walking through the forest. There, they meet a Na'Vi hunting group (I think I remember they're moving in a small group, so maybe about half dozen of them? At most ten then.)

The pictsies said, hey, there are a bunch of giant blue pictsies! Let's say hello! And as we know, pictsies say hello by fighting each others.

So there, who would win?

Jayngfet
2010-02-18, 05:40 AM
Feegles, no contest. Feegles know how to fight things bigger than them and do so whenever they get tired of beating each other up. The Na'vi however need to fight an army of soldiers the size of their little toe.

In general crude tribal weaponry won't be good for much and riding dragon things won't do much good.

Coidzor
2010-02-18, 05:42 AM
The Nac Mac Feegle would take one look at one of the Na'Vi and decide that the big jobs were getting uppity, not only getting looking like a Feegle horribly wrong, but getting even more big-jobby and cow-like in the bargain.

...they might also make jokes about the big jobs and cows.

And then they'll headbutt them.

That's sort of what Feegles do...

Killer Angel
2010-02-18, 05:44 AM
, Nac Mac Feegle are a race of pictsies (call them pixies and they're bite your ears off) from Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

All the other considerations are redundant. :smallcool:

Indon
2010-02-18, 08:16 AM
That depends on if there are any six-legged scaled anteaters in the area for any of the Na'vi to interface with.

The Na'vi have the advantage that they aren't strictly fighting solo on their home ground. But considering the ludicrous size of their weapons and most of the (mega)fauna on the planet, I imagine fighting anything only a few inches tall is going to completely flummox them.

Drascin
2010-02-18, 08:42 AM
The Pictsies are faster, about as strong (it's not ten of them can lift a man. It's four of them can lift a cow or a sheep and carry it without excessive effort), present smaller targets, are basically inexhaustible, and are way, way dirtier in their fighting. Their groups always have at least one musician that can turn your eardrums inside out by playing bagpipes, and the Na'vi with their keen senses seem particularly weak to that. I'm not going to count the Feegle's ability to go in and out of whatever dimension they're fighting in at will (it's all in the ankle, ye ken) because Feegles don't fight skirmish :smallbiggrin:.

And as of your scenario, they even outnumber the Na'vi almost five to one.

Yeah, I'm seeing a kind of curbstomp here.

bosssmiley
2010-02-18, 08:45 AM
Psycopathic, drunken micro-Jocks vs Pocohontas Smurfs? No contest is there? :smallwink:

"There can be onlie wun thousand!"

Starbuck_II
2010-02-18, 10:42 AM
Then Navi start Mind Raping the little buggers with theit head tentacle. Game set match.

BRC
2010-02-18, 10:43 AM
Then Navi start Mind Raping the little buggers with theit head tentacle. Game set match.
Feegles don't have USB ports.
Also, they're far too fast, they would probably just use the mind tentacles to swing Navi aroundd and throw them.

Solaris
2010-02-18, 10:45 AM

Okay, that's ten of the angry little smurfs. What about the other forty?

chiasaur11
2010-02-18, 10:50 AM

Yeah. I figure getting in a Feegle's mind would pretty much kill anybody.

If the Feegle's didn't finish you by conventional means earlier. Which they would.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-18, 10:50 AM
Feegle all the way.

Also: Being blue and a (reasonably) good fighter. *sides with the Feegle, as far as anybody can side with the Feegle*

Flickerdart
2010-02-18, 10:53 AM
If the Na'vi tried the tentacle thing, the Feegles would probably gnaw it off, and then beat them to death with it.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-02-18, 11:00 AM
The Na'Vi could barely stand up to humans with mining equipment. You think they'd have a chance against the Nac Mac Feegle?

Rutskarn
2010-02-18, 03:12 PM

To get your head tentacles near a Nac Mac Feegle, you must actually endeavor to place your head near them.

This is madness.

chiasaur11
2010-02-18, 03:24 PM
To get your head tentacles near a Nac Mac Feegle, you must actually endeavor to place your head near them.

This is madness.

I'd think it, like calling yourself invincible in the broken drum, telling short jokes around dwarves, or going anywhere near the shades, would legally be ruled a suicide.

PirateMonk
2010-02-18, 03:45 PM
Given the atmospheric differences between Pandora and Earth, and thus probably the Disc, I'd say whichever side can breathe wins.

chiasaur11
2010-02-18, 03:51 PM
Given the atmospheric differences between Pandora and Earth, and thus probably the Disc, I'd say whichever side can breathe wins.

Nac Mac Feegle don't need the air to be nice to start. They can loot better air.

Fri
2010-02-18, 04:50 PM
It's actually.... rather sad. Do the Na'Vi really don't have any chance? Won't a hefty kick from them can incapacitate a feegle?

Starbuck_II
2010-02-18, 04:55 PM

This is madness.

Madness! No, this is Avatar!
http://comicbooks.about.com/od/comicmovies/ig/300-Gallery/Leonidas-Answers.htm

BRC
2010-02-18, 05:05 PM
It's actually.... rather sad. Do the Na'Vi really don't have any chance? Won't a hefty kick from them can incapacitate a feegle?
1. That would require them HITTING the feegles, considering they can move so fast that the human eye barely sees them (And that's usually only if the person in question is looking for them), and that they're very small, here's a picture for comparison, I don't see that as being very likely.

http://www.paulkidby.net/NacMacFeegles.jpg
2. A kick would send a Feegle flying, but it wouldn't incapacitate them. They're as strong if not stronger than a strong human and they're very very tough. How strong and fast are they? They commonly steal cows by carrying them away at a speed not much slower than the one described above, this takes about four of them. That's one under each hoof, which means that, if it wern't for balance purposes, it might not even take that many.

Really, if a Na'vi managed to get one with an arrow (Considering the Feegel's size and speed, that would be highly unlikely) that might do the trick. However, considering the Na'vi would probably have about two seconds before their bows were stolen, I don't think that would be a factor.

TheLogman
2010-02-18, 06:01 PM
The Nac Mac Feegle are going to have a field day with this one.

They have superior transport (Interdimensional Step at Will), they are WAY harder to hit (Size of a Mouse, Strength of a Human), they are the perfect thieves, and they WILL HEADBUTT YOU.

If they don't make the Na'Vi die from ear death first, they can and will win this through Headbutts and boots alone. Although their swords would end the battle quicker.

I just see no way for any of them to even get hit.

Or for that matter even seen.

Plus the Na'Vi are 9-12 feet tall, that's a LOT of Space Elf to hit.

The Na'Vi's only tactical advantages against the super humans were having air and having animals.

The Nac Mac can breath or will step over to a dimension where they can for a moment, and they will just STEAL the Na'Vi's animals.

Also, the See Also links in the Nac Mac Feegle Wiki page include Highlander and Braveheart...just saying.

The_JJ
2010-02-18, 06:14 PM
I just want to see the Feegle flyers tame a whatever the heck those Pandora flying thingies were called.

Fri
2010-02-19, 04:29 AM
Well... I guess this thread agree that (maybe) except the Na'Vi can find some armored anteater to mindjack, they're screwed.

Oh well. Anyway, only slightly related to the thread, but I really want a set of these

http://www.paulkidby.com/feegles/index.html

Are they lifesize?

Coidzor
2010-02-19, 04:45 AM
At 1.3 cm high... Yeah, I'd say that's about the right size... I can't remember properly. I remember somewhere that they might've been 2 inches tall... so...

Between 1x to 1/4x size as far as my memory goes.

WalkingTarget
2010-02-19, 08:57 AM
At 1.3 cm high... Yeah, I'd say that's about the right size... I can't remember properly. I remember somewhere that they might've been 2 inches tall... so...

Nah, the men are about 6 inches (about 15.24 cm) and the women are about twice that (but they're rare and don't do the fighting).

Edit @V - well, that's what I get for looking at the numbers here instead of going to the site itself.

Brother Oni
2010-02-19, 09:17 AM

According to the page, those models are 130mm, which is 13cm. :smalltongue:

They're about 5 inches tall, which is about the right height.

If I remember correctly, it's only the mother female that gets that big, an unmarried one is about the same size as a normal Feegle (the image posted earlier has Fion, a female Feegle, in it for comparison.

Lost Demiurge
2010-02-19, 09:42 AM
The Feegles win. Then they find a lack of anything really interesting worth looting on the groaning, unconscious Na'vi, get bored, and go off into the jungle looking for something worth eating, or drinking.

Randel
2010-02-20, 12:49 AM
The Na'Vi's only tactical advantages against the super humans were having air and having animals.

Their advantages against the humans were:

1. air - humans had masks so the advantage was negligable. Though the general did have some problems with it at the end... it kind of distracted him a little before he got harpooned.

2. animals - their 'tame' animals were basically cannon fodder and could only damage the flying ships by getting caught in the rotors.

3. Jake Scully - aka, the human who didn't do his job of telling the Na'vi what the humans wanted, said in his logs that diplomacy was impossible, declared himself leader of the Na'vi tribes after their home tree was destroyed as a result... and then got them ganged together to fight the humans (which basically started the huge fight at the end since the general only tried attacking the sacred trees since all the Na'vi in the area were united with Jake Scully now). And then he basically put a whole bunch of primitive warriors against an army with guns and bombs.

4. Jakes grenades - the grenades took out the main aircraft by blowing up the vents. This is basically what stopped the bombing run... all the Na'vi warriors on flyers were there to soak up bullets so Jake could dump grenades in stuff.

5. The wild animals controlled by the Nature God - The giant planet-sized neural network thing sent all those alien wolves and hammerhead rhinos and stuff at the soldiers. The animals won the battle either by zerg rushing the machine gun fire, jamming their bodies into the rotors of the aircraft, or being freakishly huge monsters with chunks of bulletproof carbon nanotube bone for a face.

Basically the Na'vi stood no chance against the humans. It was Jakes grenades that took out the bomber (I doubt any of the flying creatures, even the really big one could have taken that thing out) and the swarms of fliers and hammerhead rhinos that took out the mechs and flying machines. The Na'vi may be blue space elves but their planet is a dressed up Tyranid hive world.

Oddly enough, Jake is the guy responsible for getting them into that whole battle in the first place... just saying.

The real question is if the entire animal population of Pandora controlled by the Nature God thing directed against 50 Nac Mac Feegles would win.

I'd say that Pandoras best chance would be to tire them out. The fliers might be able to get them off the ground long enough to largely negate their advantage in strength... but that would require those giant lizards catching one of them without them stealing their teeth.

Not sure if 50 Nac Mac Feegles could uproot a tree... but I'm sure they could cut one down if they wanted to. It largely becomes a question of if Pandora can replenish its supply of troops and trees faster than the Mac Feegles can take them out. If the Nac Mac Feegles decide to steal all the shiny glowing trees then you can kiss Pandoras tree-brains goodbye.

Aetthyng
2010-02-20, 01:12 AM
The feegles should be able to hide whenever they want, 'porting or digging a hole. If it weren't for that, the feegles would tire out eventually, strength of a man or no, and it would simply be a matter of tracking them and swarming them with pandora's answer to jackals or birds. It's doable...?

Symmys
2010-02-21, 07:11 AM
*reads thread title*

Feegles win. No contest. They can win against just about anything, really.

Eldan
2010-02-21, 10:44 AM
Yup.

Side question: am I misremembering, or were Feegles actually described as not having blue skin, just being tattooed and painted? It's been something I've been wondering about every time I saw a picture of them.

WalkingTarget
2010-02-21, 12:48 PM
My memory was that they were just tattooed, but to such an extent that it was hard for bigjobs to tell the difference anyway. The all-blue illustrations just highlight the smurf parallel (and it's easier to draw consistently anyway).

BRC
2010-02-21, 12:53 PM
*reads thread title*

Feegles win. No contest. They can win against just about anything, really.
Except Batman, but that's a different story.

In the books I read the Feegles were always consistently described as being Blue, and considering Kidby's attention to detail you'd think he wouldn't simply give them blue skin.

Xondoure
2010-02-21, 01:01 PM
Yup.

Side question: am I misremembering, or were Feegles actually described as not having blue skin, just being tattooed and painted? It's been something I've been wondering about every time I saw a picture of them.

Well, as no one as seen a Feegle without his tattoos... no one knows.