PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Cleric Spells [3.x]

frogspawner
2010-02-18, 06:41 AM
I'm using the usual Greyhawk/3.x deities. But I'd like the different cults to be more characterful by each having their own separate list of available spells - say restricted to about 12 each level.

No point re-inventing the wheel, though. So... is there an official publication that has lists like this, or has anyone else already created something similar?

Optimystik
2010-02-18, 07:28 AM
A quick way to do this would be to remove all domain spells from the general cleric list. So normal clerics can't cast Magic Weapon and Divine Power anymore unless they take a domain that grants them, like War.

bosssmiley
2010-02-18, 08:54 AM
The domains granted by your god, they are your entire spell list (you can still sub them out for cure/inflict spells though). Enjoy.

Suddenly which god you pick actually matters. :smallamused:

Smythen
2010-02-18, 08:58 AM
Hey and clerics wont be a completely dominant class. Now lets power down those arcane casters....

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-18, 09:00 AM
There is a Spotntaneous Cleric in UA. Not Favored Soul.

Kol Korran
2010-02-18, 09:01 AM
A quick way to do this would be to remove all domain spells from the general cleric list. So normal clerics can't cast Magic Weapon and Divine Power anymore unless they take a domain that grants them, like War.

+1. a friend of mine tried this before. it worked wonderfully! if you wish, you can have 2 such spell for every doamin level, making clerics even more unique in their spell selection.

frogspawner
2010-02-18, 09:12 AM
A quick way to do this would be to remove all domain spells from the general cleric list.
Nice idea, thanks! There'd have to be exceptions though - like for Healing (or most would get Cures!).

The domains granted by your god, they are your entire spell list... Enjoy.
Suddenly which god you pick actually matters. :smallamused:
Yes, that is the idea. (Just 3 or 4 spells per level would be a bit too harsh, though!) I was thinking along these lines, but padded-out with standards (Bless, Bless Water, Consecrate, Prayer, Restorations, etc)

Hey and clerics wont be a completely dominant class. Now lets power down those arcane casters....
Not fair! I'm not just doing this to nerf clerics. It's to balance a house-rule allowing them to pick spells ad-hoc, like sorcerers. (BTW, I didn't actually introduce that rule, but just noticed the cleric player was doing it that way anyway - and have no hope of making him do it properly!)

hamishspence
2010-02-18, 09:19 AM
Having domain spells be your only spells, would be a bit like the 3.0 psion.

Having just the most interesting spells, be domain-only, would be more like the 3.5 psion.

Either way, such limitations could make for an interesting alternative.

frogspawner
2010-02-18, 09:32 AM
There is a Spotntaneous Cleric in UA.
I see it - thanks! Oooo - number of spells as restricted as sorcerers too - ouch! Plus Domain spells though - not so bad.

Mmm, ok it's official. Not sure I can trust my cleric player(s) to choose spells suitable for their faith, though. Guess I'll just have to do some lists myself...

deuxhero
2010-02-18, 09:38 AM
Battletide is a Bane only spell if it matters.