PDA

View Full Version : Druid Animal Companion

Niched
2010-02-18, 10:26 AM
I have a question about an animal called the sailsnake. Druids can take it as an animal companion at level 4. Its on page 124 of MMII.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/niche/SAILSNAKE.jpg?t=1266507533

Did I read this right? Save doesn't matter, but blind 1d4 rounds Fort Half?!? This means that once or twice every six rounds they are going to be blind!

Blind Rules:
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

Is this overly cheap or am I reading something wrong?

BooNL
2010-02-18, 10:33 AM
The easiest solution to this conundrum is to take your MMII and burn it. Some books should never have seen the light of day.

Book of Erotic Fantasy... *shudders*

Gerrtt
2010-02-18, 10:36 AM
I've always been a little curious about how the determination is made about when a druid can adopt a given animal as a companion. At first glance it seems to be CR based, but there are exceptions even on the core list. Like polar bears and Dire wolves, for example. Dire wolves are CR 3 but are on the list next to mostly CR 4 creatures, and Polar bears are available at level 9 for druids, but are CR 4 where the rest of the list isn't.

Is there a written set of criteria that makes that determination somewhere that I have missed?

hamishspence
2010-02-18, 10:38 AM
Save for half, and 1d4 rounds, could mean that if you pass the save, you halve the normal duration.

I don't think its MMII though (which was 3.0) I think its a later one- MMIII?

Starbuck_II
2010-02-18, 10:44 AM
Hexblades gain mettle to be immune, but yeah most people aren't.

Gametime
2010-02-18, 10:58 AM
The only consolation is that MMII contains an even cheesier animal companion in the form of the Fleshraker.

Weezer
2010-02-18, 11:15 AM
^Thats MMIII IIRC

EDIT: Its probably not legal to post scans of books on forums and its definitely against forum rules, just a heads up.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-18, 02:19 PM
Sailsnake is MM2, Fleshraker is MM3. Sailsnake has been updated.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-18, 02:30 PM

Updated where: Is it better or worse?

hamishspence
2010-02-18, 02:37 PM

Incorrect- MM2: Runic Guardian, followed by Shadow Spider.

No Sailsnake.

I did, however, find it in MMIV.

page 124 of MM2 is Durgazon Half Fiend.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-18, 02:38 PM
Incorrect- MM2: Runic Guardian, followed by Shadow Spider.

No Sailsnake.

I did, however, find it in MMIV.

Ah, so I am mistaken. In retrospect, it's statblock design matches the design for MM4 and up.

hamishspence
2010-02-18, 02:40 PM
There was a 3.0 monster a bit like the sailsnake in FRCS though- the Winged Viper. Which got updated to 3.5 in the PGTF web enhancement.

Niched
2010-02-18, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure its MMII. Regardless, does this mean that I can take one and have it blind enemies for one or two rounds every six rounds? (Not bad at low [or even high] levels, I think)

Starbuck_II
2010-02-18, 05:31 PM
Yes, you can take it as long as DM is okay with 3.0 stuff in 3.5 (legally it should work).

hamishspence
2010-02-19, 05:02 AM
I don't know whether there was an MM2 flying snake, but it wasn't called the Sailsnake and didn't have that statblock- which is rather clearly a late 3.5 statblock.

As to adjudicating the blindness effect, it seems logical to rule "Save for half" as "save for half duration" (since there is no damage to halve)

So a successful save, means it would last 2 rounds at most.

Runestar
2010-02-19, 05:10 AM
The sailsnake should be in MM4, I don't recall MM2 ever having such a stat format, unless there is a 3.5 reprinting I was unaware of.

Is there a written set of criteria that makes that determination somewhere that I have missed?

My guess would be that they are determined independently how useful they are to a party as an AC, then assigned a lv accordingly.

Dire wolves probably are deemed to be stronger because they can trip

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-02-19, 05:59 AM
That is definitely in Monster Manual IV (MM4), page 124 to be exact. Note that it can also be taken as a Familiar if you have Improved Familiar and are at least a 5th level caster. It seems a bit of a waste to get one as an animal companion when you have 4th level choices like a Dire Eagle (RoS) or Fleshraker (MM3).

hamishspence
2010-02-19, 06:01 AM
That reminds me- doesn't the MM3 Swindlespitter dinosaur also have blinding venom- and is lower level, as well?

mikej
2010-02-19, 06:12 AM
That is definitely in Monster Manual IV (MM4), page 124 to be exact. Note that it can also be taken as a Familiar if you have Improved Familiar and are at least a 5th level caster. It seems a bit of a waste to get one as an animal companion when you have 4th level choices like a Dire Eagle (RoS) or Fleshraker (MM3).

I agree, especially the last one. I'd go with the Fleshraker myself but I never tried the Dire Eagle in game.

edit: I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Venomfire" yet. I know it's strong but with poisonous animal companions being mentioned. I thought it would brought up.

@ hamishspence

You're correct. 1st lv druid AC alternative.